Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subbing in too! Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and New Year! I haven't been following along or contributing much lately, simply because I'm envious of everyone's trips and plans. About a month before my holiday I got hit with unexpected, ongoing and expensive chiro sessions, this has meant I'll need to cancel this years trip :(. On a brighter note though, my chiro sessions next week go to once a week instead of the three I was having and then once a month from March. This means I can get my budget sorted and start planning again for 2015!
My brother got married recently to a lovely girl from Atlanta that he met online and they want me to go to the US with them in 2015 as he's never travelled out of Australia and she hasn't really travelled much within the US, they also want our mum to come too. I agreed as long as it was during the holiday season and I could go to Disneyland- they all said yes! So I'm over my whiny, moany dummy-spit about this year (for now anyway, who knows what I'll be like in December!) and ready to save and plan to the max!

Great photos Sherry! I so look forward to seeing them.

I remember your calendar! I remember that there was confusion at first over how to arrange it and you had to do a live chat with an operator on the Snapfish site to sort it out. They were offering free Disney Parks photo calendars, but I think you went with a non-Disney parks layout because you liked the other layout with your photos better than the Disney Parks layout, and I remember that you noticed that some of the quality had diminished in the photos when you looked at the calendar in person, you told me.

I don't remember talking with an operator, but I do remember the non-Disney parks layouts were more within my design tastes than the Disney Parks one. And yes, the photo quality wasn't as I expected and a bit grainy. Overall, I think the final product was a good one. I had the calendar mailed to my house.

In hopes of getting a better quality photos, I made a couple of smaller collages, but not the poster size. More in line of an 8 1/2 X 11. I picked those up a my nearest Walmart. The photo quality was better, but I seem to remember I could not pick up the calendar at a store but had to have it mailed. I liked the colleges so much I made a few of them this year to decorate my stateroom door on the Disney Cruise I took back in October.

Here are some pictures of the calendar I made:

For January

For April

For October:

For November:

As you can see, you can do a lot of pictures or just a few, add a quote and pick the back rounds to fit the theme of the month.

(Mickey demitasse dessert at Plaza Inn)

IMG_1209.jpg

Looks so good! I wish I had gotten one, but I got the Mickey demitasse dessert during the Christmas in July Limited Time magic week (it had strawberry shortcake). I didn't make it a point to get one during my Christmas trip last month.

Thanks Sherry! I think I'd be sad to move through 2014 without this thread, so I'm definitely in! Besides, I'd say DLR has the edge in our Disney decision making process right now.

I'm so impressed with all your detail shots. I missed so much it's like we were at different parks or something! :lmao: But with this being our first trip for the holidays, I think I was just too busy soaking up the big picture to focus too much on the small details.

I'm loving your B/W and sepia shots!

Thank you so much for the kind words, Janet! I really appreciate it.

I hone in on the details, that's for sure! Yes, I think that when you make a first trip anywhere -- and this was your first holiday trip to DLR -- you look at the whole entire scene. It's the repeat visits that lend themselves more to capturing the details, I think.

I use the b&w and sepia features infrequently -- only when I think a subject merits it, and even then the usage is reserved for a select few shots -- but I'm glad that you like them! I think that color is the most appealing thing, of course, but it's okay to venture into other territory every so often!

I hope you're able to get to DLR again soon, but please hang out here as long as you can stand us!:lmao:

Subbing in too! Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and New Year! I haven't been following along or contributing much lately, simply because I'm envious of everyone's trips and plans. About a month before my holiday I got hit with unexpected, ongoing and expensive chiro sessions, this has meant I'll need to cancel this years trip :(. On a brighter note though, my chiro sessions next week go to once a week instead of the three I was having and then once a month from March. This means I can get my budget sorted and start planning again for 2015!
My brother got married recently to a lovely girl from Atlanta that he met online and they want me to go to the US with them in 2015 as he's never travelled out of Australia and she hasn't really travelled much within the US, they also want our mum to come too. I agreed as long as it was during the holiday season and I could go to Disneyland- they all said yes! So I'm over my whiny, moany dummy-spit about this year (for now anyway, who knows what I'll be like in December!) and ready to save and plan to the max!

Welcome, Luisa!

I'm glad you made it over here.:cool1:

I don't think you were being "whiny, moany" at all -- it sounds as if you have a very valid reason for not being able to go to DLR for the holidays this year. But you did go in 2013 (in November), correct? And you'll go in 2015, so at least it's not that huge of a gap in between trips. In fact, 2015 will be Disneyland 50th anniversary/birthday so there may be extra fun in store that year -- who knows?

Great photos Sherry! I so look forward to seeing them.

I don't remember talking with an operator, but I do remember the non-Disney parks layouts were more within my design tastes than the Disney Parks one. And yes, the photo quality wasn't as I expected and a bit grainy. Overall, I think the final product was a good one. I had the calendar mailed to my house.

In hopes of getting a better quality photos, I made a couple of smaller collages, but not the poster size. More in line of an 8 1/2 X 11. I picked those up a my nearest Walmart. The photo quality was better, but I seem to remember I could not pick up the calendar at a store but had to have it mailed. I liked the colleges so much I made a few of them this year to decorate my stateroom door on the Disney Cruise I took back in October.

Here are some pictures of the calendar I made:

As you can see, you can do a lot of pictures or just a few, add a quote and pick the back rounds to fit the theme of the month.

Liza --

Thank you!

I saw the pictures of the calendar you made a few years ago (we were all posting photos of our calendars, if I recall), but are these photos ^^ from that calendar or the one you put on your stateroom door? (Some of the pages look like pages I saw before, and others look newer.)

In any case, it's a very nice combination of Disney's stock photos and your photos!

And I think we all did a combo of collages, where we put many photos on the pages, and solo pictures or maybe just 2 pictures per page. I have pages with 14 or 15 photos, and pages with one or two photos.

I vividly remember you telling me that you had to ask someone for help on a certain feature because you couldn't figure out something layout-related. I thought you did an online chat on the Snapfish website with an operator (they are usually there for live help), not talked on the phone, but maybe you just wrote in.

I just want to be clear, so no one is confused -- the photos you posted above are of Snapfish's calendar. The current FREE calendar offer that I was telling everyone about (until January 7th) is from Shutterfly, not Snapfish. The layout is similar, but different. The borders are totally different.

Looks so good! I wish I had gotten one, but I got the Mickey demitasse dessert during the Christmas in July Limited Time magic week (it had strawberry shortcake). I didn't make it a point to get one during my Christmas trip last month.

I remember that you said the summer version during that Christmas in July week had shortcake. I even remember that you had an appointment that afternoon, so you were only headed to DLR for a few hours! I remember a lot!:lmao:

I didn't get the demitasse. It was there in front of me, so I took a photo of it. If it had strawberry shortcake in it I might have gotten it! I did, however, try the yule log for the first time...which was a little too much -- too rich, too dense, too something or another -- for my liking.

Liza --

Thank you!

I saw the pictures of the calendar you made a few years ago (we were all posting photos of our calendars, if I recall), but are these photos ^^ from that calendar or the one you put on your stateroom door? (Some of the pages look like pages I saw before, and others look newer.)

In any case, it's a very nice combination of Disney's stock photos and your photos!

And I think we all did a combo of collages, where we put many photos on the pages, and solo pictures or maybe just 2 pictures per page. I have pages with 14 or 15 photos, and pages with one or two photos.

I vividly remember you telling me that you had to ask someone for help on a certain feature because you couldn't figure out something layout-related. I thought you did an online chat on the Snapfish website with an operator (they are usually there for live help), not talked on the phone, but maybe you just wrote in.

I just want to be clear, so no one is confused -- the photos you posted above are of Snapfish's calendar. The current FREE calendar offer that I was telling everyone about (until January 7th) is from Shutterfly, not Snapfish. The layout is similar, but different. The borders are totally different.

The pictures above are all from my calendar. I didn't take a picture of the cruise door collages.

The pictures above are all from my calendar. I didn't take a picture of the cruise door collages.

Oh, okay. I recognized some of the pages from the calendar from having seen them a while back, but I was thinking that maybe you were showing me what you had just put on the stateroom door collages too (or that maybe you had used the same layout from the calendar for the stateroom collages) and I was confused.

In any case, that initial Snapfish free calendar offer back in late 2010/early 2011 was an extra-good one because the calendars were large (like 11x14 or so).

The current free Shutterfly calendar offer is an 8-1/2 x 11 size, I think. It's still a good deal because it's card stock paper and spiral bound, but just not as big. Still, a free calendar is a free calendar so if everyone can find the offer and whip out some photos to put in it by Tuesday, it's a great deal!

Mike, just spectacular. I had tears welling in my eyes seconds after the video started. Your wife is a brilliant and talented individual for sure.

And Sherry I LOVED it.

Thanks so much Liza! I will tell her how much you enjoyed it! I think I will watch it again.:thumbsup2

Thank you for this thread! We have set the dates for our first ever Christmas trip in 2014 and this will help make the days go by until then :thumbsup2

We've been to DLR a few times over the last 11 years, but it was our trip in May 2013 when I seemed to have been sprinkled with pixie dust :tink: We were fortunate to be able to go back in the fall for MHP and I am super excited to plan this next trip!

I love all the pictures and can't wait to see the holiday magic for myself! And ds is already looking forward to the Mickey demitasse dessert!

Thank you for this thread! We have set the dates for our first ever Christmas trip in 2014 and this will help make the days go by until then :thumbsup2

We've been to DLR a few times over the last 11 years, but it was our trip in May 2013 when I seemed to have been sprinkled with pixie dust :tink: We were fortunate to be able to go back in the fall for MHP and I am super excited to plan this next trip!

I love all the pictures and can't wait to see the holiday magic for myself! And ds is already looking forward to the Mickey demitasse dessert!

Welcome aboard, happygirl5644!:cheer2::cool1: (<<That's the welcome dance!)

Thank you so much for joining us for what promises to be a fun-filled year of holiday trip planning and holiday-related discussion, picture-sharing, chatting about news/rumors/the latest developments, etc.!

There will be a 3-month long photo bonanza starting in early August (or slightly earlier) -- the Theme Week Countdown -- in which we count down to the start of Disneyland's holiday season in November by featuring a different Disneyland holiday theme every week (for example, Cars Land week, Main Street week, Treats & Treasures, etc.). We cover pretty much every aspect of the holiday season at DLR and we get to enjoy a parade of wonderful photos for the duration of it.

Of course, you will probably see some photos popping up here before August, but that 3-month period of time will be when we have the biggest wave of photos coming in on a regular basis.

You have already gone to DLR during my other favorite season -- the wonderful Halloween Time season -- and if you love the holidays, you should have an amazing time this year! Disneyland Resort + the holiday season = unimaginable fun! Lights, colors, Christmas trees, music, treats, enticing aromas and general merriment everywhere you go. As much as I adore Halloween Time, I have to say that there is really nothing like the holidays at DLR because the whole holiday overlay is so much more extensive and thorough. Even the hotels are involved, whereas during Halloween Time there are no traces of Halloween at the hotels at all.

You know, that demitasse dessert has taken on different forms over the years. There is a Halloween version, which you may have seen, but the holiday version used to be served in a different kind of mug (a white mug with a picture of Mickey and Minnie on it, I think) and it had a different topping to it quite a few years ago. It was like a peppermint sauce over a peppermint cake of some kind, and regular whipped cream on top. Since then it has been jazzed up and put in a much better mug! I think the recipe may have changed too. Either way, I'm sure it will be a huge hit with your DS!

Is it too late to still be watching Christmas movies?! I don't think so. After all, our dried out tree is still up (but it is coming down tomorrow!) I went to the Hallmark store this evening to browse their after Christmas sale and I found Christmas in Conway for 50% off. It was so sweet. I don't remember seeing it on the Hallmark channel. You have to watch it with a box of tissues. Of course, I had to have a bowl of limited edition peppermint to enjoy while I watched.

You know those mugs were all sold out by the time we arrived on the 18th! I am so glad I bought four of the Minnie ones last year. It reinforced for me the plan to buy it when you see it or it will be gone. We never found any plush in pajamas either. That makes the one we got last year even more special. I wonder why the marketing department can't gauge the demand for holiday merchandise better than they do.

Is it too late to still be watching Christmas movies?! I don't think so. After all, our dried out tree is still up (but it is coming down tomorrow!) I went to the Hallmark store this evening to browse their after Christmas sale and I found Christmas in Conway for 50% off. It was so sweet. I don't remember seeing it on the Hallmark channel. You have to watch it with a box of tissues. Of course, I had to have a bowl of limited edition peppermint to enjoy while I watched.

lucysmom --

I wouldn't say it's too late to watch movies or to take down a tree! Maybe I am just being an enabler, but there are a lot of folks who don't take trees and decorations down until January 6th, even outside of DLR! So you are still within the "acceptable" time frame!:rotfl:

You know, Christmas in Conway did air on one of the Hallmark Channels, eventually. If it wasn't on the regular Hallmark Channel then it aired on the Hallmark Movie Channel. I remember seeing it in the listings as I was browsing (I had the word "Christmas" saved as a keyword in the search feature of the DVR so I could easily pull up all of the Christmas programming!:rotfl2:).

The difference with Christmas in Conway was that it was a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie, if I recall correctly, so it aired on ABC first and then went to the Hallmark channels. The fact that it wasn't the standard lower budget Hallmark movie that airs only on Hallmark is probably why it is now available on DVD. For some reason the regular Christmas movies that air nly on the Hallmark Channels don't seem to be on DVD. At least most of them are not, from what I can see. I think there may be some available on Amazon Prime or Hulu?

Anyway, yes, a bowl of limited edition (Grand, not Slow Churned) Peppermint Wonderland is in order to help get through the sad scenes in the movie! Or to get through any scenes in any movie, really!

I might sneak in final viewings of Let It Snow, Snow Bride, The Christmas Ornament and A Snow Globe Christmas before the weekend is over! They are still on the DVR.

You know those mugs were all sold out by the time we arrived on the 18th! I am so glad I bought four of the Minnie ones last year. It reinforced for me the plan to buy it when you see it or it will be gone. We never found any plush in pajamas either. That makes the one we got last year even more special. I wonder why the marketing department can't gauge the demand for holiday merchandise better than they do.

The demitasse mug (photo on previous page) that I saw was at Plaza Inn. Did you look there? You would have had to buy the dessert to get it, but it was there.

The photos are lovely. I can't believe that I can finally say that this year I will go to Disneyland during the holiday season. If the Theme Week Countdown works the same as this year, when the last theme is posted, I have to seriously think about packing as I will be leaving for Disneyland the next day.

Corinna

Following along we are really hoping to go mid Nov. (Depending on VGC availability) we are DVC members.

I saw a post about a holiday overlay at Storybookland Canal Boats. Is this true???? It is my favourite attraction and I would just die to see this. Does anyone have a pic?

The photos are lovely. I can't believe that I can finally say that this year I will go to Disneyland during the holiday season. If the Theme Week Countdown works the same as this year, when the last theme is posted, I have to seriously think about packing as I will be leaving for Disneyland the next day.

Corinna

Corinna -

Thank you!

I don't know for sure yet, but I am assuming I will start the Countdown on the first Monday in August, with the final theme/theme week on the first Monday in November. I have to sort out all the themes to see if I want to break some of them up or combine some of them that were originally separate, or if I want to add any new categories in. So there is a slight chance that I could start the Countdown a few days or even one week earlier than the first Monday in August, but probably not. I always try to end it in November so that it leads right into the start of the new season.

Yes, your DLR holiday trip has been in the works for quite a while, hasn't it? Finally it's going to happen. And, most likely, this year will zip by so it will really be here in no time!:rotfl2:

Following along we are really hoping to go mid Nov. (Depending on VGC availability) we are DVC members.

I saw a post about a holiday overlay at Storybookland Canal Boats. Is this true???? It is my favourite attraction and I would just die to see this. Does anyone have a pic?

dsneygirl --

Welcome!:cool1::dance3: Thank you for joining us.

I am guessing that what you saw was my reference to the Storybook Land ride in the Dates/Events to Remember post on page 1?

Yes, it is true although it is not a massive overlay along the lines of It's a Small World Holiday or Haunted Mansion Holiday! What happens is that the little cottages and villages along the canal get teeny tiny decorations, like tiny wreaths on the doors or tiny Christmas trees. That kind of thing. I think there are also some miniature lights for nighttime. It is really cute.

I should mention that I have no clue when the decorations will be up on the SBL ride, or if they will be up by mid-November. The schedule was kind of weird in 2013, to where the SBL boats were running and the cottages were decorated by Thanksgiving weekend -- but then the ride closed and reopened in mid-December. That is not normally what happens. Usually the ride shuts down, receives the overlay and then opens in mid-to-late November. It then stays open for the rest of the season.

(Also keep in mind that the 3 Disney hotels may or may not be decorated the week before Thanksgiving, and even if they are decorated early the carolers and Santa won't appear at the hotels until Thanksgiving.)

So I don't know if the SBL ride will go back to the usual schedule this year or if it will be open, then closed, then open again. I missed it on my DLR trip in December because the ride had not reopened yet. To this day -- and I have taken a lot of holiday-related photos at Disneyland in my lifetime -- I still have not taken any photos of the teeny decor on the Storybook Land boats. I tend to take my time trying to compose photos, and being on that boat kind of requires snapping really quickly and turning around to see certain things. I'm not fast enough to really capture anything. However, other people have occasionally gotten photos of the tiny decorations, but not often.

Notice in this post from tksbaskets in our previous Superthread, she asks if a certain photos counts as Fantasyland -- http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=49328462&postcount=1188.

That photo she is asking about is from the Storybook Land boat ride!

By the way -- There are also teeny tiny decorations on a couple of the little houses/cottages near the exit of the Pooh ride in Critter Country!

dsneygirl --

Welcome!:cool1::dance3: Thank you for joining us.

I am guessing that what you saw was my reference to the Storybook Land ride in the Dates/Events to Remember post on page 1?

Yes, it is true although it is not a massive overlay along the lines of It's a Small World Holiday or Haunted Mansion Holiday! What happens is that the little cottages and villages along the canal get teeny tiny decorations, like tiny wreaths on the doors or tiny Christmas trees. That kind of thing. I think there are also some miniature lights for nighttime. It is really cute.

I should mention that I have no clue when the decorations will be up on the SBL ride, or if they will be up by mid-November. The schedule was kind of weird in 2013, to where the SBL boats were running and the cottages were decorated by Thanksgiving weekend -- but then the ride closed and reopened in mid-December. That is not normally what happens. Usually the ride shuts down, receives the overlay and then opens in mid-to-late November. It then stays open for the rest of the season.

(Also keep in mind that the 3 Disney hotels may or may not be decorated the week before Thanksgiving, and even if they are decorated early the carolers and Santa won't appear at the hotels until Thanksgiving.)

So I don't know if the SBL ride will go back to the usual schedule this year or if it will be open, then closed, then open again. I missed it on my DLR trip in December because the ride had not reopened yet. To this day -- and I have taken a lot of holiday-related photos at Disneyland in my lifetime -- I still have not taken any photos of the teeny decor on the Storybook Land boats. I tend to take my time trying to compose photos, and being on that boat kind of requires snapping really quickly and turning around to see certain things. I'm not fast enough to really capture anything. However, other people have occasionally gotten photos of the tiny decorations, but not often.

Notice in this post from tksbaskets in our previous Superthread, she asks if a certain photos counts as Fantasyland -- http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=49328462&postcount=1188.

That photo she is asking about is from the Storybook Land boat ride!

By the way -- There are also teeny tiny decorations on a couple of the little houses/cottages near the exit of the Pooh ride in Critter Country!

Yes awesome! Reminds me of the train village in Germany at Epcot with little trees and such. I am such a sucker for that kind of thing. Although I would love to see the resorts we don't want to push it much later. The parks are the focus for sure. Will be following along and saving my pennies. :)

Yes awesome! Reminds me of the train village in Germany at Epcot with little trees and such. I am such a sucker for that kind of thing. Although I would love to see the resorts we don't want to push it much later. The parks are the focus for sure. Will be following along and saving my pennies. :)

I have never had the good fortune of being able to visit WDW, and my goal is -- if I only make one trip there in my lifetime -- to experience the holiday season. I have seen and heard so much about all of the festivities in the parks and at all of the different hotels, and it sounds spectacular. I'm sure I would need at least a good couple of weeks to take it all in. The train village sounds amazing and I know I would love it!

You'll definitely get to see the parks' decorations, and you may get lucky and see the hotel decorations/trees too. It's a tricky thing, those hotels! In the past, the hotels were decorated later in November. In 2013 -- and I think this was a direct result of the extra late Thanksgiving -- the hotels' trees and decor started to go up as early as 9 days before Thanksgiving! This year, since the holiday will be late again, I am thinking there is a good chance of early hotel decorations...but they (the hotels) don't guarantee that they will have all decorations in place until Thanksgiving. I suspect you will see some of it, though.

The Grand Californian Hotel has new rustic reindeer figures out in front of the entrance, and (real) gingerbread houses in both Storytellers and in White Water Snacks. The Disneyland Hotel has a (fake) gingerbread Castle in the lobby of the Fantasy Tower, a wacky tree at Goofy's Kitchen and various other interesting trees around the whole property. The Paradise Pier Hotel has a gorgeous blue-green ocean-themed tree.

When we get to the beginning of August (or slightly earlier), we will begin our 3-month long Theme Week Countdown, which will involve a parade of photos of all aspects of the Disneyland Resort holiday season, so you will get a good sense of what to look forward to. If you want me to post the links to the Theme Weeks in the previous (2013) Countdown so you can see what ground we covered last year, let me know and I'd be more than happy to do that. I have the links saved in a file so I can access them easily!:rotfl2:

If were talking about Christmas movies...I finally saw Holiday Inn for the first time! I really enjoyed it. I liked it better than White Christmas. One of my top favorites though is Meet Me in St Louis. I have been getting into older films lately. One of my all time non Christmas old time movies is Some Like it Hot.

If were talking about Christmas movies...I finally saw Holiday Inn for the first time! I really enjoyed it. I liked it better than White Christmas. One of my top favorites though is Meet Me in St Louis. I have been getting into older films lately. One of my all time non Christmas old time movies is Some Like it Hot.

Holiday Inn is a classic! White Christmas is great, but I have heard others say that they prefer Holiday Inn too. I love Meet Me in St. Louis.

Where do you stand on It's a Wonderful Life? Fan? Not a fan? It has aired so much over the years that I think some people are sick of it, and I don't watch it as much as I used to, but when I take the time to sit down and watch it every couple of years or so, I get caught up in the whole story all over again.

Turner Classic Movies is good for showing all of those older holiday movies during the season, but It's a Wonderful Life always ends up on NBC!:rotfl:

We have a business trip to NM in June and I realized that we could add a multi day layover in LA for nothing extra, so we have booked a trip for the end of June! So happy we have the APs. A mid-year trip will make our holiday trip seem not that far away. I haven't booked hotel yet, but I think we'll do PPH.

Holiday Inn is a classic! White Christmas is great, but I have heard others say that they prefer Holiday Inn too. I love Meet Me in St. Louis.

Where do you stand on It's a Wonderful Life? Fan? Not a fan? It has aired so much over the years that I think some people are sick of it, and I don't watch it as much as I used to, but when I take the time to sit down and watch it every couple of years or so, I get caught up in the whole story all over again.

Turner Classic Movies is good for showing all of those older holiday movies during the season, but It's a Wonderful Life always ends up on NBC!:rotfl:

I'm a big fan of it. I made my kids watch it this past Christmas for the first time and they really fell in love with it as well. Not only is it touching but its pretty funny as well.

We have a business trip to NM in June and I realized that we could add a multi day layover in LA for nothing extra, so we have booked a trip for the end of June! So happy we have the APs. A mid-year trip will make our holiday trip seem not that far away. I haven't booked hotel yet, but I think we'll do PPH.

Jamie --

Yes, indeed, another trip and hotel stay will help to break up the long gap between now and November for sure. That's right at the middle point between January and November, isn't it? That's the perfect time to work in a trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter