Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! :cool1: A brand new Christmas super-thread. Still with that brand-new thread smell! (Is that cinnamon I smell?) Thanks Sherry!

And still, I didn't get here quickly enough to get on page 1. You guys are just too quick for me. Must be old age :rotfl:

-Bob

Taking advantage of our APs and heading back to Disney on Saturday. We want to see some of the holiday stuff we missed last trip. I ordered my DisneyWorld CD finally last week. All of the edits stressed me out, so I only uploaded the Disneyland pictures from December today. The PhotoPass photographer got some nice shots. If no one has already emailed them to you, I still plan to when I get my CD. It will probably be another month or so though, since I have until 02/01/14 to order.

GrandBob
I agree with everyone else, Mike. Tell the director she did a wonderful job! And what a beautiful family you have!

I couldn't miss Josh Groban's voice for the second number. But who/what was that first number? Great sound track!

-Bob

Thanks Bob! The first song is from the Disney Parks Christmas parade from just a few days ago. If you haven't seen the opening segment you should youtube it as its the best they've done in years. Neil Patrick Harris is the singer. It's hilarious and very catchy.

Mike

Thanks Bob! The first song is from the Disney Parks Christmas parade from just a few days ago. If you haven't seen the opening segment you should youtube it as its the best they've done in years. Neil Patrick Harris is the singer. It's hilarious and very catchy.

Mike

Oh, my gosh!!! It was so much fun!!!! I loved it!! Did you find the song to download somewhere?? I keep looking on iTunes but can't find it! :dance3:

Oh, my gosh!!! It was so much fun!!!! I loved it!! Did you find the song to download somewhere?? I keep looking on iTunes but can't find it! :dance3:

Thanks so much pudinhd!! I pulled the audio from the parade.

Well, helllllllllloooooooooooo, friends and Christmas/Holiday Superthread peeps! I see that many familiar folks from the old thread have made their way to this one...and hopefully many more people will join us soon.

I didn't get a chance to reply or comment in the other thread, but I did see Orbitron's lovely photo (I'm so glad to read that he had a great time on the trip) and I read tipovertiff's trip review as well. Thank you to them, and to everyone else who took the time to post reviews, photos or recaps when they returned from DLR!

I saw that Malcon10t posted a photo of post-Christmas Santa (in his green "street clothes") at the end of the previous thread. I wondered about whether or not he would sneak in an appearance at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree because I vividly recall somewhere in Disney's explanations of holiday entertainment that Santa was scheduled to be at the JJJ (and at Elias & Company) only until/through December 24th.

If they meant "jolly red suit Santa" would be out and about through 12/24 but that "green plaid ensemble Santa" would be out post-Christmas, they should be more clear!

It's getting really hard to know what is accurate or not accurate -- when it comes straight from Disney! They say Santa will be gone after 12/24, and his red suit may be at the cleaners now but he IS there in some capacity, posing for photos I would imagine. They say that Dreyer's will no longer be making the tub size of peppermint ice cream that they use for the ice cream shops at DLR, and lo and behold the peppermint ice cream pops up at Gibson Girl in time for the Christmas break rush!:confused3

And let's not even get into the fiasco from last year, when the AP Backstage Pass newsletter/magazine stated that Mickey's Halloween Party would be starting on Monday, September 30th...when, in actuality, it started on Friday, September 27th!!!:confused3

It used to be that we couldn't really count anything as "official" unless it came directly from Disney, and while that may still be true, what we get from Disney is not always correct!

Thank you. :)

It is a major undertaking for you to do all of the work that you do for this thread. And I, like countless numbers of other people, I am certain, appreciate and marvel at the time, effort and editing, that you spend, in order to have this super thread exist to begin with and thrive. It's almost as if this super thread becomes some kind of being, taking on a life all its own.

Thank you so very much! :)

Thank you for the very kind words, Gisele.:goodvibes I really appreciate it!

And you are right -- it certainly does take quite a bit of time -- in increments and stages, as it cannot be done all at once -- to assemble the info, organize it, edit, rearrange, organize the Theme Week Countdowns, etc. It's fun work, indeed, but it is a project, that's for sure!

Checking in. I never thought that this thread would hit the page limit before the Halloween one did.

Corinna

Welcome, Corinna!

Yes, it's funny how the Halloween threads and Christmas/Holiday threads have evolved over time. The Christmas thread, in an earlier incarnation, was way ahead of the Halloween thread in views and participation. Then I had to start a new Christmas thread and that took a while to catch on, but meanwhile the old Halloween thread took off like a rocket and surpassed the Christmas one.

I suppose if both the Halloween and Christmas threads started anew at exactly the same times, it would be easier to get an accurate picture of how well one thread or the other was doing, but I always have to start one way before the other one and they are never out of the gate at the same time.

I hope the Halloween thread stays quiet for a bit longer, as I do have to continue assembling at least some info to go on page 1 of a new thread. I didn't allow myself enough posts to work with in the current Halloween thread when I started it, so I couldn't really organize it the way it should be organized or the way I'd like to as it progressed. When it comes time to start the new one I'd at least like to have some info organized into different categories and then add to it as I go (like I am doing with this thread), but I need more posts to do that.

I've subbed in. Sherry I love the pictures with either black or holiday frames that you've started each section with. Just great. :thumbsup2

You've out done yourself on this new thread that is certain to become a favorite destination for many DISers! :santa:

Welcome, TK!:banana:

Thank you for always being a loyal Superthread follower and participant -- and also a Hallmark Channel Countdown to Christmas fan!:thumbsup2

Thank you, also, for the kind words. Because of stupid Photobucket, I had the hardest time getting those small photos on page 1 resized the way I wanted them, with the borders, because Photobucket kept making them gigantic instead of small.:headache: I will now have to actually remove a couple of those small pictures and replace them with other newer ones, because, for example, the ice rink picture is from 2012 and the 2013 ice rink didn't look like that! Also, now the Disneyland Hotel has the gingerbread Castle, which would be nice to show in the Hotels section. I might want to work in a Viva Navidad photo somewhere, in some post or another, at some point too.

I will also have to go through and remove any links that have become inactive -- like for 2013 holiday events that had temporary websites (such as Knott's Merry Farm). That will be a pain.

Plus, I am in the process of silently going back through the Superthread I just closed, to collect links to any posts with trip reviews or links to trip reports, as well as any other info I'd like to include in this thread. I don't want to leave anything important out, especially since quite a few people took the time to give us detailed recaps of their trips and I want to be sure to include those reviews on page 1 of this new thread. So I have been saving a bunch of links to info in a Word document, and will paste them into the posts on page 1 as I go along. At least I know that we won't get any real holiday season news for a while, so I won't have to worry about an influx of new blogs and press releases from Disney just yet.

TK -- Since you seem to alternate your WDW and DLR trips, are we to expect that you will be visiting WDW for the holiday season of 2014, or is there any crazy way you'd end up back at DLR?

I'm here as well. Kudos to Sherry for all the hard work on this thread. It has to be a labor of love for sure!

Thanks again for all the kind words about our Christmas video from this past year. Wow crazy to say past year! In case you didn't see it here is the link one last time...I also put it in the trip reports thread as well.

http://youtu.be/sZFw_Z9BrH4

Happy New Year everybody.

Welcome, Mike! Happy New Year to you as well!

I am glad you posted the video link again, since it ended up almost at the end of the previous thread and it's possible it could have been overlooked. Such a fun, happy, uplifting video.

I know what you mean -- I cannot get used to saying "last year" or "this past year" at all. I have already slipped and said "this year" when I meant last year, or said 2011 when I meant 2012, and 2012 when I meant to say 2013. It takes me a while before I can fully get used to a new year because even though the date on the calendar changes, it's not like there is some major change in weather or in anything else that happens on January 1st to signal a new year. It just seems like any other day.

Thank you for the kind words, and yes -- these threads are a labor of love, for sure! It's fun and very rewarding to help people plan trips and to build excitement for their trips, but it doesn't happen overnight!

I'm so excited to get to follow this thread again this year! And knowing we start the countdown the end of Aug/beginning of Sept (right?) makes it feel like the year won't be that long! Thanks again Sherry for putting this all together!

Welcome, Jamie!:cool1:

You're welcome! Thank you for joining in again, and for helping out with giving information and trip tips, observations, sharing photos, etc. It is very much appreciated.

The Countdown will start at the beginning of August, barring any kind of unexpected schedule change (and will end sometime in early November, based loosely on when DLR officially starts its holiday season)! It's a good 7 months away, but hopefully it will fly by. I mean, technically, I really could split up some categories or add in some new ones and start the Countdown a little earlier than August if we just wanted to get the photos rolling in even earlier than usual, but then that would make the Countdown longer than 3 months and I don't know if anyone would really like that. I think 3 months is a good amount of time, but who knows? Maybe I will end up extending the Countdown by one extra week or so.

Oh, by the way, when I was looking at who had the most posts in the previous Superthread (other than myself), it was YOU! It didn't seem like you had posted that much, but when I looked up who had the most posts and least posts in the thread, I was shocked to see Bret/mvf-m11c down at maybe #10 or #11 on the list and you in the top spot (if we take me out of the equation)!

Thanks Sherry! So excited to participate again!

Welcome, crystal1313!

Thank you for following us over here and joining in again for another year of holiday fun!

Let me know if you do end up writing in about Robert at the PPH. I don't know whether to use the regular contact option on the DLR website to write in about him, or go some other route.

Cool! :cool1: A brand new Christmas super-thread. Still with that brand-new thread smell! (Is that cinnamon I smell?) Thanks Sherry!

And still, I didn't get here quickly enough to get on page 1. You guys are just too quick for me. Must be old age :rotfl:

-Bob

Welcome, Bob!

I can always count on you to join the Superthreads, which I greatly appreciate. Though I would have let the previous thread run indefinitely if it wasn't at the page limit, the fact that it was at the page limit and that it's a new year seemed to be ideal timing to start the new one.

It's probably a hybrid of cinnamon, gingerbread and, of course, peppermint that you're smelling!:rotfl2:

Taking advantage of our APs and heading back to Disney on Saturday. We want to see some of the holiday stuff we missed last trip. I ordered my DisneyWorld CD finally last week. All of the edits stressed me out, so I only uploaded the Disneyland pictures from December today. The PhotoPass photographer got some nice shots. If no one has already emailed them to you, I still plan to when I get my CD. It will probably be another month or so though, since I have until 02/01/14 to order.

Welcome, Kim!

No hurry! I appreciate the thought and gesture. No one has emailed me anything, although I got one free PhotoPass print with my PPH room in December, and I chose a group shot with everyone, if I recall correctly. Or did I choose a photo of just the girls? Now I can't remember! I know I picked the border that said Ho Ho Ho.

Welcome, pudinhd!:cool1:

:santa::santa::santa:

Hi everyone and Happy New Year!

I have got to decide whether or not we will be going to take a DLR Holiday trip this year or not. And soon! We own at VGC and I had better book this month to be sure to get a one bedroom for December.

It is a bit complicated this year. With the possibility one DD going off to college and with the other in competitive volleyball, I may be forced to book during the week of Christmas! :scared1: Planning around the busiest time of the year will be a different kind of experience for me. I am going to need this thread more than ever!

Hi everyone and Happy New Year!

I have got to decide whether or not we will be going to take a DLR Holiday trip this year or not. And soon! We own at VGC and I had better book this month to be sure to get a one bedroom for December.

It is a bit complicated this year. With the possibility one DD going off to college and with the other in competitive volleyball, I may be forced to book during the week of Christmas! :scared1: Planning around the busiest time of the year will be a different kind of experience for me. I am going to need this thread more than ever!

Welcome aboard, Liza!:cool1:

I'm glad you joined in!

That's right -- I always forget that you have to book way, way in advance to get a VCG spot. And being unsure of how the year is going to go with the girls, it can be hard to plan anything.

Well, Bret just got back from a trip in the days post-Christmas/pre-New Year's Eve and he said that it was definitely busy at times, and then not as busy as expected at other times. I think that some folks have indicated here and there (I have to go back to the previous Superthread and copy the links to the reviews that came in towards the end of the thread, from blue888, tipovertiff, etc.) that the crowds were not as bad as expected at certain points, so it's possible that the week of Christmas might not be too horrible.

This past season it almost seemed as if the usually slower times were filled with people and the usually busy times were less crowded.

Did you check out KCmike's video that he posted the link for above? It's so great! I think you'll like it.

Oh does that mean I talk too much?! ;) I didn't realize I had posted that much either!

:rotfl2: Not even close to talking too much! I saw that you were at the top of the list of people posting -- with Janet in second place (again, I'm removing myself from the equation because it's no surprise that I have the most posts in the thread) -- and that doesn't seem right in either case. Neither you nor Janet would seem to have posted all that much, let alone be at the top of the list.

I keep thinking the numbers are off somehow. I found them by going to the main forum page here on the Disneyland board, and clicking on the little "Replies" link to the far right of the thread title -- so it would be to the right of the title of the previous Superthread. Then up pops a list that says how many posts/replies each person has contributed to a thread.

Thanks again for all the kind words about our Christmas video from this past year. Wow crazy to say past year! In case you didn't see it here is the link one last time...I also put it in the trip reports thread as well.

http://youtu.be/sZFw_Z9BrH4

Happy New Year everybody.

Mike, just spectacular. I had tears welling in my eyes seconds after the video started. Your wife is a brilliant and talented individual for sure.

And Sherry I LOVED it.

I'm here as well and I can't believe we are now on your 3rd Christmas Superthread that you have started. The first two christmas Superthreads have been great and looking forward to the next one. I remember the first one that you managed and have been enjoying them ever since during the Christmas season at the DLR.

This thread has helped me with my Disney blues. I am looking forward to the next count down, but there is a lot of living to do before then. Thank you Sherry for keeping this going. The Christmas spirit can last all year!

BTW--I just found a carton of very pink and delicious limited edition ice cream at the market. One last taste of the holidays for me!

Yay! We're returning for Thanksgiving week again like we did in 2012. My favorite time of the year!! Can't wait!

I got one of those end-of-year/beginning-of-New-Year free photo calendar offers (all you pay is shipping and tax). Did anyone else get a free photo calendar offer from any photo service this year? I used to get one of those offers from some company or another every year and then they all stopped sending them to me a couple of years ago. In the past I preferred the Snapfish free calendar because the paper they use is really sturdy and it is spiral bound.

This year my free calendar offer is from Shutterfly. I had a free calendar made by Shutterfly several years back, and at that time they used thin paper. It was not a good quality calendar like Snapfish's product. However, it looks like Shutterfly now uses card stock paper and the calendars are spiral bound. So I am going to give Shutterfly another try and get a free photo calendar.

But...those darn free calendar offers always appear in my email about 4 days before they expire, and this instance is no different. This means I have to quickly round up all of the photos I would want to put in my free calendar, upload them and organize them, then put them on the pages, write text, etc. You can add up to 16 photos per page for a collage, and you can add photos to the date boxes too (which is something that Shutterfly didn't offer in the old days). Four days to get this accomplished is not enough time for me! So I fear I will end up just quickly grabbing a dozen photos at random and throwing them in the calendar for lack of time.

The question is...which DLR photos will I choose?:confused3

Anyway, the reason I mention it here is because I don't know if the free calendar offer from Shutterfly is available to everyone, or if it's an email exclusive only, but if you can find the offer then you have 4 days to create your free photo calendar! It might be a great way to use some of those priceless holiday photos you just took at DLR!

I'm here as well and I can't believe we are now on your 3rd Christmas Superthread that you have started. The first two christmas Superthreads have been great and looking forward to the next one. I remember the first one that you managed and have been enjoying them ever since during the Christmas season at the DLR.

Welcome, Bret!

I'm so glad you made it over here to get subscribed. We can't have a Superthread without you! I added the link to your in-progress November TR on page 1.

This thread has helped me with my Disney blues. I am looking forward to the next count down, but there is a lot of living to do before then. Thank you Sherry for keeping this going. The Christmas spirit can last all year!

BTW--I just found a carton of very pink and delicious limited edition ice cream at the market. One last taste of the holidays for me!

Welcome, lucysmom!

You're welcome -- I'm so glad the Superthread has been fun and informative for people. Of course I'm keeping it going! You couldn't keep me away if you tried!:rotfl2: The holiday season at DLR may be ending but people will be planning holiday trips, so even if the thread goes quiet for a while without any activity, it will still be here for people to use as a planning/research tool.

Yes, there is a lot of time between now and when the next Theme Week Countdown begins, even if I were to begin the Countdown a week or two ahead of schedule. It seems like time flies pretty quickly these days so I imagine the months will zip by, but you're right -- there is a lot of living to do before then!

I can't believe you found (Grand) Peppermint Wonderland on January 2nd!:faint: I have not checked since we've begun 2014 but my stores usually tend to run out of it even before Christmas, and certainly won't have any on the shelves now. My Vons delivery people brought me the inferior Slow Churned stuff last week and it is just not the same as the Grand at all, which I already knew but I was reminded of it when looking at the Slow Churned. The Slow Churned taste differences may not be as obvious in flavors like vanilla or chocolate -- I'm not sure -- but in the peppermint ice cream the flavor difference between Grand and Slow Churned is very noticeable.

Yay! We're returning for Thanksgiving week again like we did in 2012. My favorite time of the year!! Can't wait!

Welcome, DharmaLou!

That sounds wonderful!:cool1::cool1: It is, indeed, an amazing time of year. Is this the trip where you are either staying at the DLH or in a PPH park view room? I remember your thread asking about which hotel you should stay at, but I don't know if it would be for the November trip or another trip. And...did you decide? Are you going with the DLH or the PPH?

One of these days I have got to get to DLR on Thanksgiving and try one of the special meals. That big buffet at the Disneyland Hotel looks delicious and bountiful. I've been to DL the day after Thanksgiving but never on the holiday itself.

The question is...which DLR photos will I choose?:confused3

Anyway, the reason I mention it here is because I don't know if the free calendar offer from Shutterfly is available to everyone, or if it's an email exclusive only, but if you can find the offer then you have 4 days to create your free photo calendar! It might be a great way to use some of those priceless holiday photos you just took at DLR!
[/B][/COLOR]

I don't envy you there, Sherry! I agree, it is a great way to use those Disney photos.

I made a free calendar from snapfish a couple of years ago from my pictures and from a Disney Gallery CD. It came out pretty good. I was pleased with the quality and how much I was able to design each page.

I don't envy you there, Sherry! I agree, it is a great way to use those Disney photos.

I made a free calendar from snapfish a couple of years ago from my pictures and from a Disney Gallery CD. It came out pretty good. I was pleased with the quality and how much I was able to design each page.

I remember your calendar! I remember that there was confusion at first over how to arrange it and you had to do a live chat with an operator on the Snapfish site to sort it out. They were offering free Disney Parks photo calendars, but I think you went with a non-Disney parks layout because you liked the other layout with your photos better than the Disney Parks layout, and I remember that you noticed that some of the quality had diminished in the photos when you looked at the calendar in person, you told me.

You also made a poster that you picked up at the store too, didn't you? Or did you only made the spiral bound calendar that arrived in the mail?

The free Snapfish calendar offer came out in late 2010/early 2011, and a bunch of us made them! I made mine first -- I did two -- and then tksbaskets made one, deejdigsdis made one, bumbershoot made one, you made one, I think that kaoden39 made one, and someone else did too. Changing one photo would seemingly rearrange the whole layout on a page and put certain photos where they were not wanted so the collages were frustrating.

The year before I did those 2 Snapfish calendars I had a free Shutterfly calendar offer, and that's when I discovered that the calendars were thin and not spiral bound. I was delighted to see that the Snapfish calendars were better quality and spiral bound. After the free Snapfish calendars, I made one more Snapfish calendar for a discounted (but not free) price, and then I stopped getting offers from both Snapfish and Shutterfly for free calendars, until now.

Now that Shutterfly seems to be making better quality calendars I am encouraged, but 4 days is not enough time for me to figure out which photos I want to use out of thousands, upload them and then arrange them the way I want! They should allow us at least a couple of weeks to create a calendar and get the discount, not a few days! Madness!

Subbing in. :wave:

I have no idea if we'll do Halloween or Christmas this year, or head east or west. But this thread is a great place to hang out until we decide! :cool1:

Hi, Janet! Welcome! I was hoping you'd find your way over here! Even if you don't have any trips planned anywhere this year, please always feel free to come here and hang out with us, join in Countdowns and share your experiences! Some people don't have holiday trips planned for a while and end up staying away from the thread, while others stay in the thread just to kind of keep up with what's happening and what the latest info is.

Here's another round o' photos from December 2013 (I posted some on Christmas day and was going to post a new batch on New Year's Day, but decided to wait until we moved to the new thread)...

Sometimes I am in a black & white sort of mood...

(Buena Vista Street)

4982e770-809b-4868-b5c7-be101dca3f70.jpg

078a020f-f9c9-4094-b285-1b43a6fca4af.jpg

And sometimes I'm in a sepia state of mind...

(Frontierland)

IMG_0737.jpg

(This one from the Jingle Jangle Jamboree is actually from November 2013)

IMG_9008.jpg

But I mostly I stick to color!

(Part of the gingerbread Castle display at the Disneyland Hotel)

IMG_0026.jpg

(Goofy's Kitchen tree ornament)

IMG_0193.jpg

(Main Street Flower Market)

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

(Santa's photo spot at the Disneyland Hotel)

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

(This Mardi Gras masquerade mask is one of the more colorful ones at DLR)

4e2ff138-16f3-4bd2-b4e3-4f233bb48e66.jpg

(I liked the juxtaposition of the soft flower and Grizzly Peak in the distant background...but then that person sat down on a bench and ruined my shot! Arrrggghhhhh!)

IMG_0884.jpg

(Viva Navidad Mickey)

IMG_1017.jpg

(Elf Days in Grizzly Peak)

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

(The Elf Days brochure that was handed out, complete with song lyrics! I don't know what the tune is supposed to be, but in my mind the lyrics fit with "Deck the Halls"!)

aa049d6b-dcff-4e86-a16b-e7e49dbf58f1.jpg

(Mickey demitasse dessert at Plaza Inn)

IMG_1209.jpg

(One of the many new reindeer in front of the GCH)

IMG_9863.jpg

(One of a few trees in 1901)

IMG_0845.jpg

(This is not the greatest photo of this tree in Club 33 -- one of many trees in Club 33, I should say -- and I'm certain I have one that's slightly better but I mistakenly copied the code for this one instead. Oh well! Anyway, I love the way it's decorated -- in some places it's got red roses, in other places it's got red ribbon, and there are a few Fleur de lis (which is a very New Orleans-associated symbol) ornaments on it.

IMG_9686.jpg

Hi, Janet! Welcome! I was hoping you'd find your way over here! Even if you don't have any trips planned anywhere this year, please always feel free to come here and hang out with us, join in Countdowns and share your experiences! Some people don't have holiday trips planned for a while and end up staying away from the thread, while others stay in the thread just to kind of keep up with what's happening and what the latest info is.

Here's another round o' photos from December 2013 (I posted some on Christmas day and was going to post a new batch on New Year's Day, but decided to wait until we moved to the new thread)...

Thanks Sherry! I think I'd be sad to move through 2014 without this thread, so I'm definitely in! Besides, I'd say DLR has the edge in our Disney decision making process right now.

I'm so impressed with all your detail shots. I missed so much it's like we were at different parks or something! :lmao: But with this being our first trip for the holidays, I think I was just too busy soaking up the big picture to focus too much on the small details.

I'm loving your B/W and sepia shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter