Disney World vs Disneyland question.

BigAlsGal

DIS Veteran
I really want to take a trip to Disneyland someday. I just always go to Disney World. Mainly because it's closer and I love Florida.

My one fear of Disneyland is I'm worried about how it might change my view of Disney World.

For those of you that have made the jumps (either FL to CA or CA to FL) did it change how you felt about your "home" park?

I wouldn't call WDW my "home" park, and am hardly an expert on it, but I started at WDW. Took a few trips there growing up, and would go for a day every year when in FL for spring break as an adult. I loved it.

But now I live in CO so when my kids were 2.5 and 4, we decided to try DL. I think I had low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised by it and love it now far more than WDW. From now on we will be doing DL, Disney Cruises, or Aulani, but I think I am just going to skip WDW from now on.

Granted, WDW has plenty of things that Disneyland doesn't. And there are plenty of duplicate rides as well. But Disneyland has a lot of things WDW doesn't have as well, and I think it actually has MORE rides in the 2 parks than WDW has in the 4 parks. It crams a lot in and is just easier to navigate. It also seems so much more crowded because it's more compact and the walkways are narrower, but the ride times aren't usually too bad. I like that we don't have to do as much planning and don't need to be tied down to pre booked fast passes. It also reminds me of what WDW was when I was younger- wandering characters and less structure.

It's definitely worth checking out. Plus California is lovely in general.

I'm in CA, about 25 minutes away from Disneyland and all my life I have dreamt about going to WDW since my boys were little. I never made it until this past April (my boys are now 27 and 22). After we came back, we all agreed we like Disneyland better. Epcot and AK was nice but WDW is just too spread out. We like the fact the most of rides are all in 2 parks (Disneyland and Disney CA) so it's much easier to get around.

I loved 7 Dwarf ride in MK but for us, DL's It's a Small Worlld and Space Mountain is better than WDW.

My oldest son and I are going back to WDW (because of Dine & Wine 1/2 marathon) this November but this time, we are going to concentrate on "sightseeing of the parks" rather than rides.

I live in western Canada and consider DL my "home" park. It's much closer to us, which was the original reason we did DL first. After our first few trips to DL we decided to try WDW. While I loved our trip to WDW, it was awhile before we went back, and I think it will be awhile before we go again. While WDW has lots to offer, I definitely like DL better. I love the simplicity of planning and how easy it is to hop and navigate the parks. Plus it just feels more "comfortable" to me.

That said, I do LOVE Rockin' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest and SDMT!!

my "home" is WDW.
i went to DLR for the first time in 2013 because my sister was chaperoning FBLA which had their national compoetition in anaheim.
to be honest it only made me love WDW more!
i'm going back to DLR in 2017 because my sister is once again chaperoning FBLA which again will be in anaheim.
if i didn't have an "excuse" to go i probably wouldn't. (i get a cheap hotel rate, cheap tickets, plus a trip to the beach)

I've been to both, with WDW being my "main" park. Each has some very nice aspects and I'm glad to have been to DL and CA. I can understand why some people prefer the California parks - they are more compact, and they pack a lot into the space. Some parts are indeed better than the WDW equivalent (of course, the other way around is true, too). If I had to choose, I prefer WDW, though. It's much more of a "resort" than Disneyland, there's much greater variety between the parks, and there's much more to do overall. If it were a straight-up comparison of MK to DL, I might go with DL, but if you look at all of WDW, there's just much more there. I can't imagine spending a week at Disneyland, but sometimes a week feels short at WDW, for instance.

Don't hesitate to go to DL thinking it might mess up your view of WDW. I really enjoyed DL but I still would choose WDW if choosing between the two.

As a WDW vet that has been to DL, it will change your view. And it's a good thing, just like any good history lesson can change your world view.:goodvibes

I definately reccomend a DL trip, but I might consider waiting for their Star Wars land opening.

I will pretty much always consider WDW my main park and because of that I am a little bias, but both parks have their pros and cons. Like how hands down the food at DL is WAY better than the food at WDW. The only duplicate attraction DL does better is POTC. All in all my heart still belongs to WDW and DL is well worth a trip.

I love WDW. I love DLR. My love for one does not take away from my love of the other. I definitely suggest visiting DLR - without hesitation! I think you will love it, and find that your fears were unfounded.

Disneyland is my home park - I'm only 30 minutes away. First and foremost, DL is the park where you can walk in Walt's steps. I love when I go in and on the left hand side, above the firehouse is his family apartment with the light on. It's just a cool feeling. I know that it can definitely feel more crowded because of the size. But I'm okay with it. We have rides we prefer at DL and those we prefer at WDW. For us, Space Mountain is much better at DL - much smoother, and the Star Wars enhancement is just incredible. We rode SM at MK last summer and ugh, so bouncy and no music! But Splash Mountain? WDW is so much better!

I still love WDW, it's more of a resort destination for us. But then, I just like hanging out at Disney in general. I'm going this Friday with my kids and then hopping on a plane on Sunday for our Universal/WDW vacation!

Some highlights for wdw veterans at DL/CA:

All of Carsland, especially radiator springs racers. The whole area is phenomenal, and its existence is why we decided to take our first trip there. We weren't disappointed.

Finding Nemo Submarine voyage- the wdw submarine ride was a favorite of mine as a kid, so it's nice to revisit another version of a ride that's now gone at wdw.

Pirates- so much better. Longer, more story.

It's a small world is also different and encompasses a lot of Disney characters.

Among many other things. The queue areas aren't as nice for most rides, but your wait times may not be as long either.

I go to each park yearly and I love them both equally, and whenever I am at WDW I am not thinking that I miss DL. I find that when I am at WDW it is a more relaxed stay as I always stay for between 12-17 nights, so I enjoy the resorts and other offerings. My DL visits are often for only 3-4 nights so it is a faster pace and the days are longer to fit everything in. I would suggest that you watch the podcasts that have been released this month on Disneyland; I have been watching them and even though I just returned from DL on June 4th I am finding that I now want to return.

No home park here. One of the noticeable things about traveling to DL is that you do not need to spend a week there---three days max should do it. It is much, much smaller than DW. The really nice thing is, if you typically stay on property in DL, you can be out of the Grand Californian and to the park by walking in about 5 minutes. If you stay at DL Hotel, it's about a 10 minute walk (or can catch monorail), and the Paradise Pier Hotel isn't much farther away either. The walking aspect from hotel to the parks in DL is wonderful. With DW, so much time is spent catching transportation. If you need a break in the middle of the afternoon, it's really quick at DL to walk back to your hotel. And when you walk from either the GF or DL Hotel to the park, you are walking through Downtown Disney (I assume Paradise Pier it's the same, but don't know for sure.) Downtown Disney is basically attached to the park at DL.

You will want to get hopper passes for DL because you can simply walk across the plaza to California Adventure Park.

There's much more of a city aspect to DL versus a nature aspect to DW.

As someone mentioned above, the Cars area of DL is incredible.

There are no magic bands at DL.

I happen to like Epcot World Showcase and Animal Kingdom a lot! So that part will be missing at DL. Also, the castle is much larger at DW.

There are pros and cons to each, but the walking aspect from resort hotel to the park in DL is extremely appealing.

I should add, if you stay at the Grand Californian, you can go out one of the back entrances and you are literally in California Adventure Park. I recall the entrance is right by the log ride.

I'm a WDW vet and recently visited DLR for the first time. I *loved* it!!! It's a very special park, many (but not all) of the rides are superior to their WDW counterparts, and there were so many magical things to experience that WDW does not have (Cars Land in DCA and the incredible new nighttime entertainment especially come to mind.) I went with a friend for 3 days and did not feel it was enough — I cannot wait to go back!

However, it did not take away from my love of WDW. They are two very different experiences, and DLR is a must-do for a true Disney fan IMO. But just go in with the understanding that it is NOT WDW, nor is it trying to be, and you will be able to appreciate your experience much more that way.

Actually they are in the process of getting magic bands, but it's not going to be like WDW magic bands.

No, they aren't.

The word is that in the process of making their fastpass system electronic, but that does not involve magic bands. Nothing has happened yet except a few tests of using electronic bar codes for fastpass returns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter