Disney World Resorts Struggling

samsteele

DIS Veteran
Strong rumour from hoteliers (Best Western International) who heard it from their US counterparts that WDW resorts are struggling with summer and fall bookings to the point that some on property resorts will close permanently, some empty outlier resort buildings will close temporarily and deep discounts will be released. All options under consideration. Best Western International hotels are independently owned and operated properties and owners keep in regular contact with one another as well as attend annual mandatory conventions, training programs, etc. So lots of info sharing about the industry. Not a complete surprise given the recent WDW resorts targeted ad pushing on property resort stays for families (youtube and netflix), suspicions of a looming recession and widespread belief that revenge travel is waning. Only a rumour but have now heard it from more than 3 sources among Best Western owners and managers. No links. No evidence. I have no more information or details to share than that.

Math would show that. I just tried to help a family plan Disney, and Art of Animation was over $300 for any date they could do, planning many months out. Swolphin was similar. That family is going to do more days at Universal because Disney is so expensive.

Nah, I think it's just to get people stirred up to stay at their hotels. DVC will not shut down, nor will the other resorts. Disney will throw in promotions.
Disney has offered various promotions for years. More options when bookings are light, fewer when they have plenty of bookings.
Best Western is an entirely different product than WDW. There is little comparison between the two. I agree, it sounds like BW might be trying to promote their own product on Disney's coattails.

WDW closed several resorts during the post-9/11 travel slump. They might have closed one during the Great Recession. Might. I don't recall for sure. They did offer the buy-4-get-3 promotion then, which is the best one I can ever remember. In fact, they announced the construction of AoA near the end of the GR--when construction labor and materials were cheap.

We've got a long way to go before we even get into Great Recession territory, let alone the post 9/11 slump.

Last edited:
While I don't discount travel will be down in coming months, I don't believe they will close whole resorts as mentioned above. I do believe the economy is already distressing and will catch up to people who don't feel it currently. It's not going to improve in the next 6 months.

This doesn't track. I'm no expert in these things, but if things were that dire I imagine they'd resort first to discounts or bringing back some perks for on-site stays to entice people to book, rather than just jumping to shutting things down. I realize perks come at a cost, but better that I think than closing things down, which looks bad for the brand and could be a red flag for stockholders. Disney has been able to successfully navigate recessions through discounts and perks, and while I'm aware bookings are down, I've seen nothing to indicate that demand for resorts is so low that they'd need to start closing them. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems far fetched that they would go straight from offering zero discounts/incentives to just shutting things down.

Beyond that, I wouldn't trust a negative article regarding Disney that is published by another hotel chain.

This rumor is absurd. Yeah, bookings are down. I think everyone knows that. Otherwise Disney would not have offered significant discounts for this summer. But some "on property resorts" will close permanently???? Get real. That means multiple resorts are going to be shuttered forever. Which ones, exactly? If you believe this fabrication, I have a can't miss deal on Florida swampland to sell you!

Unless you have evidence to back up your claim, this is just a baseless rumor. It almost sounds like one of those "I heard it from a WDW bus driver" rumor. There is no way that they'll close down the resorts. Disney will just offer promotions/discounts.

Though I do agree with others that the resorts are really overpriced and Disney did strip back perks for staying on site. The All Stars being over $200 during peak times is highway robbery and don't even get me started on how awful those Contemporary rooms look for almost $1k a night.

I just priced out a week in early April, with the discounts, and all that's left is a couple All Stars, Coronado/OKW at over $1000/night and RIV at $1300/night.
Who pays these rates?

I’ve moved offsite but could be convinced to come back with the right deal. If bookings are down Disney has lots of room for discounts and other incentives.

Nah, I think it's just to get people stirred up to stay at their hotels. DVC will not shut down, nor will the other resorts. Disney will throw in promotions.
And WDW is at a higher price point to begin with to offer deep discounts.

Immediately after the pandemic reopening we scored 2 nights at GF for less than $500 per night and club level at AKL for just over $500 ($538 I think). We'll see discounts like that again before buildings are shuttered.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter