Disney to "Quiet the Noise" in Culture Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give you a simple one, shared with me by my son when he was a teen. - When DS (who is white) goes into a store with a black friend, they are closely observed; when he goes into the same store with a white friend (of similar age and financial status) they are left alone.

I think he was right in concluding that was racist.
Does the inverse hold true?

I'm white, when I walk into a store that has a mostly black staff, and I perceive being closely observed, are the employees somehow racist?

My stepson has a similar problem he goes into the store alone and most of the employees know him and come up to him to shake his head, congratulate him, etc.

He goes into the same store with one of his friends and loss prevention follows them around the store.... Police are usually in the parking lot when they go to leave....

His friend is a known hoodlum, he has never been caught stealing, but just general bad news.....
He also happens to be white....

Is the store racist, or has the friend just made a name for himself....??

My stepson has a similar problem he goes into the store alone and most of the employees know him and come up to him to shake his head, congratulate him, etc.

He goes into the same store with one of his friends and loss prevention follows them around the store.... Police are usually in the parking lot when they go to leave....

His friend is a known hoodlum, he has never been caught stealing, but just general bad news.....
He also happens to be white....

Is the store racist, or has the friend just made a name for himself....??
Following a known hoodlum (because he’s got a bad reputation) is different than following someone because of the color of their skin. It’s unfathomable that this has to be explained.

Following a known hoodlum (because he’s got a bad reputation) is different than following someone because of the color of their skin.
True, but that fact was left out of the post I cited. My point was there might be more to the story the the poster does not know....

However, how do you explain my being followed around a store with a mostly black staff.....

Well, then, Mr. History Teacher, would you care to illuminate us?
“History is instructive. What it suggests to people is that even if they do little things, if they walk on the picket line, if they join a vigil, if they write a letter to their local newspaper… Anything they do, however small, becomes part of a much larger sort of flow of energy. And when enough people do enough things, however small they are, then change takes place.”
Howard Zinn, American historian (1922-2010)

https://alphahistory.com/history-quotes/

True, but that fact was left out of the post I cited. My point was there might be more to the story the the poster does not know....

However, how do you explain my being followed around a store with a mostly black staff.....
What exactly more is there to Pollyanna mom's post that you have a shred of evidence of? Are you accusing her son of hanging with hoodlems?

The Democrat party have always been about group politics since it’s founding. The GOP has always stood for individual liberty.
The level of oversimplification in those two sentences is mind boggling. I can't respond as fully as I'd like lest I get dinged for veering too much into politics, but suffice to say, you know nothing about US History, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter