Disney Store Permanently Closed 2020

I just found out my local store in Delaware in closing in July. It's as old as I am and I have gotten to celebrate two grand opening celebrations there because it is an Imagination store. It's in a Simon Mall.
Where? That mall in Delaware is owned by Brookfield Properties. And sadly, Disney is leaving malls owned by Brookfield Properties.

Last edited:
My mall has such bad luck with stores and my mall isn't even owned by Simon. So far my mall has lost it's Disney Store Sears Rite Aid Toys "R" Us and Michael's and in 2019 Big Lots moved into TRU's former spot. I think the main reason why some Disney Stores closed is because even though they made lots of money the malls started raising rent on them and gave the managers warnings that if they didn't follow the new rules the malls would have them move and close. But one thing I wish Disney would do is to have a Big Lots type of closeout store where they could buy Disney Parks souvenirs toys home decor collectibles and other Disney items at discount prices and believe me it would be a success. Or they could have a mail order catalog. Because if you look at malls today you hardly see stores that are oriented to children with the exception of Build A Bear Workshop and all you see are stores like Hot Topic and Hollister that are aimed at teens but toy stores should make a comeback to malls and once that happens Disney Stores will be reborn

Traditional indoor malls are dying in my area. They are being replaced by outdoor shopping districts that simulate city shopping with public benches and play areas.

Less than 2 years ago, we had 3 Disney stores plus one Disney outlet within driving distance. We are now down to one Disney store at the only traditional indoor mall that seems to be doing well in my area. It’s the only one left in the entire state.

But I will say, Box Lunch is a more adult style "Disney store" that is awesome.

Agreed! They have opened a few stores in my area over the last couple of years and it seems to have a great following. They have really nailed that adult Disney demographic. Their licensed merch is great and they follow that same Hot Topic footprint with small stores that don't require a lot of staffing.

Where? That mall in Delaware is owned by Brookfield Properties. And sadly, Disney is leaving malls owned by Brookfield Properties.
I am friends with a cast member that works at this location. I'm appalled at the way Disney is treating them on the way out.
* They told the cast members early last week they had nothing to worry about. Thursday they were told they were going to lose their job.
* They were told that they needed to use any park tickets by the end of July. But, oh yeah, it can only be an existing reservation, they can't make a new one.
* They get NOTHING from the company once the store closes. I'm not going to post exactly how much time my friend has in, as it might out her identity, but it was well over a decade.
There's more, but I'll respect her wishes and leave the rest out as she specifically told what not to say.

I am friends with a cast member that works at this location. I'm appalled at the way Disney is treating them on the way out.
* They told the cast members early last week they had nothing to worry about. Thursday they were told they were going to lose their job.
* They were told that they needed to use any park tickets by the end of July. But, oh yeah, it can only be an existing reservation, they can't make a new one.
* They get NOTHING from the company once the store closes. I'm not going to post exactly how much time my friend has in, as it might out her identity, but it was well over a decade.
There's more, but I'll respect her wishes and leave the rest out as she specifically told what not to say.

When the first round of store closures were announced to the public via press release in March on a Thursday, store managers were not told until Saturday. CM's didn't find out until Monday.

The park tickets point is new - complimentary tickets have a two year expiration date and they can be used by anyone (you don't have to be actively employed) so they could be saved. If it is your friend's main entrance pass, that's a different story. Typically you'd lose that on your separation date unless you were retiring with a certain amount of service.

The park tickets point is new - complimentary tickets have a two year expiration date and they can be used by anyone (you don't have to be actively employed) so they could be saved. If it is your friend's main entrance pass, that's a different story. Typically you'd lose that on your separation date unless you were retiring with a certain amount of service.
She specifically said tickets and explained it the way I posted. She didn't mention anything about a main entrance pass,, I don't even know what that is.

It was just announced that our Frisco Texas Disney store will be closing before the middle of next month. That store is always hopping and the mall is still very busy so that one surprises me.

It was just announced that our Frisco Texas Disney store will be closing before the middle of next month. That store is always hopping and the mall is still very busy so that one surprises me.
It's a Brookfield mall. Unfortunately it has less to do with how busy the store or mall is and everything to do with the ownership of the mall itself.

It's a Brookfield mall. Unfortunately it has less to do with how busy the store or mall is and everything to do with the ownership of the mall itself.
Yup. I am sorry for Brookfield (formerly GGP). I hope Simon malls survives. I know Simon has Disney Junior Play area.

I’ll
What does the ownership have to do with this I wonder? High rates?
I don’t know. Most Simon malls (which were Imagination Park) have survived. I feel bad that Roosevelt Field is closing because it’s too close to ether Queens Center and Smith Haven Mall.

What does the ownership have to do with this I wonder? High rates?
The speculation is Brookfield negotiated terms allowing Disney to break leases. Simon fought Starbucks over Teavana closures.
I’ll

I don’t know. Most Simon malls (which were Imagination Park) have survived. I feel bad that Roosevelt Field is closing because it’s too close to ether Queens Center and Smith Haven Mall.
More likely the Roosevelt Field lease was up for renewal. Speculation is Disney has been unable to negotiate terms with Simon

Considering that, by the sounds of it, most if not all Disney Stores are closing in Canada, we really ought to have a Canadian ShopDisney website. Apart from having to convert the currency to CAD, shipping costs are atrocious and there’s often duty charges on top of that :(

Considering that, by the sounds of it, most if not all Disney Stores are closing in Canada, we really ought to have a Canadian ShopDisney website. Apart from having to convert the currency to CAD, shipping costs are atrocious and there’s often duty charges on top of that :(
I wish Canada kept Target. They would had a Disney section at Target stores in Canada. In fact, I went to Target store with Disney in it. It kinda reminds me of The Disney Store. It even has a video screen like Disney Store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter