Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

OK, I can see the reasoning for that...simpler and more efficient to have a constant number of cars going between stations... curious to see how they handle the transfers...will there be a dedicated transfer queue or will transfer-riders need to hop into a general queue?
From what’s been said, it will be one general queue. But this is a fast, continuous loading system so no wait should be more than a few minutes.

OK, I can see the reasoning for that...simpler and more efficient to have a constant number of cars going between stations... curious to see how they handle the transfers...will there be a dedicated transfer queue or will transfer-riders need to hop into a general queue?

To underscore what Polydweller said above, it’s likely that with the exception of the rush right after illuminations (or whatever it will be called), there could be little to no wait at any time of the day. Of course, there’s always a horrible wait for the bus at that time, too. I think the stats for the Skyliner are a full bus load of people every 3 min or so, with no long 5-minute holds to lock down an ECV. I hope we are right about this, but if so, even changing at CBR should not be awful.

Last edited:

Someone posted on Facebook photos of their "boarding pass" for the preview and map of the system (wasn't sure how "ok" that was so not reposting it)

One thing that I noticed was it specifically mentioned the Riviera station will be open on Sept 29th for guests staying at CBR to use as well ... I thought it might just be a pass through until Riviera is open

Not sure if link will work but Kathy Werling from the DIS is live streaming as well:

She is on the line going to EPCOT ... really goes right over construction in France and does seems to destroy the "forced perspective" of the Eiffel Tower since you are like even with it. Wonder if they will put up some screening or something to minimize that or if it just is what it is

To underscore what Polydweller said above, it’s likely that with the exception of the rush right after illuminations (or whatever it will be called), there could be little to no wait at any time of the day. Of course, there’s always a horrible wait for the bus at that time, too. I think the stats for the Skyliner are a full bus load of people every 3 min or so, with no long 5-minute holds to lock down an ECV. I hope we are right about this, but if so, even changing at CBR should not be awful.
And for transferring at CBR the busiest time will be morning. In the morning everyone will be merging on to the park lines. After fireworks everyone will be splitting up at CBR.

I think morning will have a much lower rush than after fireworks on the total system, so I don't think there will ever be a lot of wait to transfer.

And for transferring at CBR the busiest time will be morning. In the morning everyone will be merging on to the park lines. After fireworks everyone will be splitting up at CBR.

I think morning will have a much lower rush than after fireworks on the total system, so I don't think there will ever be a lot of wait to transfer.

only slight hiccup I could see is if there is an imbalance of which park people are going to - theoretically you would think majority of people would be going to DHS vs EPCOT for Star Wars and once MMRR opens, etc.

So you have all the people form POP/AoA coming up, and all the people coming in at CBR and the people coming down from Riviera/Boardwalk resorts and more than 50% of the people wanting to then get on the DHS line vs EPCOT line

number wise, let's say you have 100 people coming in per set period of time on the POP/AoA line and the EPCOT/Riviera line into CBR station and plus another 100 people coming to the CBR station by foot. Figure all of the 100 people from EPCOT/Riviera are going to DHS, and say 2/3 of the others ... so would be ~220 of the 300 total going to the DHS line vs 80 going to the EPCOT line

Makes me wonder if they may run the DHS line a bit faster than the others so can have more "outflow" on that line vs inflow form each of other areas (or, rather, the others a bit slower)

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to travel this way on our next trip! I am so excited that we decided to purposely stay at a Skyliner resort. That video was so much fun. It looks smooth, fast, cool, and fun! I'm hoping to actually get a plain gondola--you can see things more clearly and then you get to see the characters on the wrapped gondolas near you and those that you pass. :)

number wise, let's say you have 100 people coming in per set period of time on the POP/AoA line and the EPCOT/Riviera line into CBR station and plus another 100 people coming to the CBR station by foot. Figure all of the 100 people from EPCOT/Riviera are going to DHS, and say 2/3 of the others ... so would be ~220 of the 300 total going to the DHS line vs 80 going to the EPCOT line
The trouble with your reasoning is those numbers are nowhere close to reality. Due to the disparity in capacities of their respective resorts, the Riviera line will have more like 25 people coming to the CBR hub for every 100 coming from POP/AoA. And "foot" traffic would probably be closer to 50. It shouldn't be too hard for someone to calculate actual numbers from resort capacities and park attendance numbers. I just don't feel like being that someone.

Can you tell me when the actual ride starts? The video is over two hours long and yeah, not wasting that much time on it.

The actual ride starts at 36 minutes into the video and it is very difficult to see anything due to the wrap, other than when he shows the door.

Last edited:
The trouble with your reasoning is those numbers are nowhere close to reality. Due to the disparity in capacities of their respective resorts, the Riviera line will have more like 25 people coming to the CBR hub for every 100 coming from POP/AoA. And "foot" traffic would probably be closer to 50. It shouldn't be too hard for someone to calculate actual numbers from resort capacities and park attendance numbers. I just don't feel like being that someone.

Yeah, I hesitate in jumping into the numbers research too, but Pop/AoA is definitely the behemoth in the room. Riviera is just 300 rooms. CBR I see a "1536" number and also a higher number (>2000) which I think means the 1536 is current after the sections demolished for Riviera. Pop alone is 2880, and AoA is 984 LM plus 1120 suites.

The vast majority of Skyliner traffic is coming from Pop/AoA, and guests from those resorts will only be arriving at CBR at a rate of ~48 people per minute (average 8 people per gondola, average 6 gondolas arriving per minute). If we're talking early hours at DHS while Epcot isn't open (so worst case morning scenario) then those 48 people, plus foot traffic from CBR, plus anyone coming from Aruba/Riviera, could cause a wait in getting onto a DHS line that's only moving 48ppm.

But let's extend the scale over an hour. 48ppm = 2880pph. The max guests at CBR+Riv if basically every bed is full would be somewhere around 7500? Not all of them are going to DHS on any given day, much less at the same hour of morning. Realistically you're talking about <1,500 people from CBR and Riviera to blend into the Pop/AoA arrivals. From experience at Pop bus stop too, you'd have 50 people in line at any given time for buses, but not all to the same parks, and buses only come every 5-10 minutes at busy times or 10-20 minutes at less busy times. Even heading from Pop to EMH at DHS the bus queue wasn't full. So I'm not sure every gondola is going to be leaving Pop/AoA full either.

I find planners and rope droppers can forget not everyone is like them. The average guest is going to get up when they get up and not be heading to the park right at open. That's why it's less busy and more pleasant in parks in mornings and busier in afternoons. I'm really thinking there'll have to be a specific confluence of circumstances for this to get backed up. It just moves so many people.

Guess I am just thinking making at park opening and the line from POP/AoA is full and when people would be coming from the other areas too ... Even if you numbers are right still feels like disproportionate in % of people coming into CBR that will want to head to DHS

but maybe they just don't fill cars on POP/AoA line but then do fill them more full on DHS line to make up for any capacity disparity

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter