Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

only slight hiccup I could see is if there is an imbalance of which park people are going to - theoretically you would think majority of people would be going to DHS vs EPCOT for Star Wars and once MMRR opens, etc.

So you have all the people form POP/AoA coming up, and all the people coming in at CBR and the people coming down from Riviera/Boardwalk resorts and more than 50% of the people wanting to then get on the DHS line vs EPCOT line

number wise, let's say you have 100 people coming in per set period of time on the POP/AoA line and the EPCOT/Riviera line into CBR station and plus another 100 people coming to the CBR station by foot. Figure all of the 100 people from EPCOT/Riviera are going to DHS, and say 2/3 of the others ... so would be ~220 of the 300 total going to the DHS line vs 80 going to the EPCOT line

Makes me wonder if they may run the DHS line a bit faster than the others so can have more "outflow" on that line vs inflow form each of other areas (or, rather, the others a bit slower)

Looks like we set off an interesting conversation ;).

I'd like to adjust your numbers though. In 2018 both DHS and Epcot had very similar attendance of around 12M people/yr. Assuming SW:GE bumps DHS up to around 15M/yr, that would be a 55/45% split. So say Pop is running ~3000 pph, 1665 would go to DHS and 1350 would be going to Epcot. That still leaves a lot of capacity on either line for walk ups and those coming from Rivera. I could see them slowing the POP line a bit if it becomes an issue, but I don't think it will.

Of course there will be events and offset start times that will affect the ratio at any given time on any given day, but like I said in a post a long time ago, I don't think people will be able to get to the stations in a dense enough fashion to cause any real lines, except at park closing. There will be some staggering of people and the bridge itself will provide a bottleneck with the way people walk in groups at WDW.

FYI - here are the warnings signs for the Skyliner that also indicate the dimensions for strollers and mobility devices (as mentioned previously). I don't see a note about maximum weight so assume a complete non-issue even with an ECV, etc.:

View attachment 438246

I wonder what the 10 guest is going by on size. I am guessing that 10 pooh size guest won't fit and I would hope they don't intend on stuffing them like sardines to begin with. I would hope if its not busy they would try to keep them to 2 families.

Yeah let's wait to complain until we have something to complain about.
The videos I have seen so far shows the skyliner to be amazing! fun and efficient. Will there be problems? Probably, but who knows exactly what they will be.
I haven't been this excited about something new in Disney since Pandora opened.

they can leave that to the buses :rotfl2:

Yeah that's for sure!
Nothing like riding the Epcot bus at closing with a bunch of drunk people.
Okay I'm off topic but really am looking forward to riding the skyliner in November. I think it will be as much fun as a hard-to-get FP ride. The views will be awesome.

I think we need to give credit to the CMs loading the Skyliner's. The signage clearly states that guests are to remain seated (Not saying this will happen) so if 10 guests cannot sit in a gondola I can't see them loading that may people into one.

SOOOO excited to ride these. LOL, 355 more sleeps! :banana:

Looks like we set off an interesting conversation ;).

I'd like to adjust your numbers though. In 2018 both DHS and Epcot had very similar attendance of around 12M people/yr. Assuming SW:GE bumps DHS up to around 15M/yr, that would be a 55/45% split. So say Pop is running ~3000 pph, 1665 would go to DHS and 1350 would be going to Epcot. That still leaves a lot of capacity on either line for walk ups and those coming from Rivera. I could see them slowing the POP line a bit if it becomes an issue, but I don't think it will.

Of course there will be events and offset start times that will affect the ratio at any given time on any given day, but like I said in a post a long time ago, I don't think people will be able to get to the stations in a dense enough fashion to cause any real lines, except at park closing. There will be some staggering of people and the bridge itself will provide a bottleneck with the way people walk in groups at WDW.

Guess so was thinking even more than that going to DHS first thing in the morning (especially if they keep up some form of the extra extra morning hours) - but maybe you are right and will be more even than in my mind

And to be clear, definitely not picturing this being any huge issue or anything, more just curious about the operational details ... Guess my inner engineer coming out

Once again why so negative?? It’s going to be great

Excuse me if its being negative about trying to squeeze 10 people in to a confined space for a period of time in which you are not suppose to be standing.

This is a huge thread to go through so if the answer is somewhere, I apologize! Does anyone know (or have a rough gues-timate) on how high off the ground the gondolas are? The ones that go over water don't look all that high off the ground, however some of the POV shots make it seem that they are pretty up there. I know pictures are deceiving so was wondering if anyone who has actually seen them would be able to weigh in.

MY DH isn't fond of heights so we are trying to determine if we will be riding these. He couldn't do Soarin', but loves FOP so I'm guessing it will be a toss up!

FYI - here are the warnings signs for the Skyliner that also indicate the dimensions for strollers and mobility devices (as mentioned previously). I don't see a note about maximum weight so assume a complete non-issue even with an ECV, etc.:

View attachment 438246
This is only my opinion but since the sign states, 'Those who have a fear of heights or enclosed spaces should not ride.' should end the debate of whether bus transportation will still be offered. I believe Disney will offer guests an alternative form of transportation in the form of buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter