Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I don't think it's quite that easy to add and remove cars from the line. I would guess that they will always run the maximum number of carts on all three lines because I don't see any major downside to doing that

I don't think they will add and remove cars during the day either. There will just be more empty cars. It will actually be one of the great perks of the Gondola system will be using it in off-peak times. If you leave the park at 2 PM to go back for a swim now, you might wait 20-30 minutes for the bus to show up in the hot sun. The gondola you will literally walk onto and be back at your resort in 5-10 minutes. People are going to adore that.

When talking about worst case traffic we should probably be talking about park closing. At the beginning of the day people are going to leaving or the parks over a longer period of time. When the parks close you get a very large amount of people leaving in a small period of time.
But the concern was about Guests not being able to board at a resort because of all the cabins being full before they reach the resort. That's not a problem at closing, since everyone's getting on at the same place.

I still wonder how many transfers will be necessary when going from Pop to Epcot. Also, empty cars will be leaving the CBR hub to make sure that space is available for Riviera? Seems clumsy.

But the concern was about Guests not being able to board at a resort because of all the cabins being full before they reach the resort. That's not a problem at closing, since everyone's getting on at the same place.

True. the Riviera station is the only one that would have that issue and it would only be an issue in the morning.

True. the Riviera station is the only one that would have that issue and it would only be an issue in the morning.

If there is a single rope from epcot to DHS, there could be the same issue at CBR heading to DHS---- I think one big loop there makes sense-- having POP on a separate loop to get to the CBR station.

If there is a single rope from epcot to DHS, there could be the same issue at CBR heading to DHS---- I think one big loop there makes sense-- having POP on a separate loop to get to the CBR station.

Everything I have heard has said it's not a single loop. All three loops end at CBR south. I do agree that it would make sense, especially since POP/AOA would then be the only resort that needs to transfer which would make sense since they are the lower priced resorts.

Everything I have heard has said it's not a single loop. All three loops end at CBR south. I do agree that it would make sense, especially since POP/AOA would then be the only resort that needs to transfer which would make sense since they are the lower priced resorts.

Thanks-- that's a shame--- I hope it goes the other way...

Do you guys think there might be as some point an Express Route that goes from Epcot to DHS or vice versa like there is the Express and Epcot Monorail? Apologies if I have just forgotten if this was already a plan and I'm not remembering it. I'm just wondering if they are trying to keep this as a resort oriented mode of transportation.

#minnievan lol

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone been speculating on how the actual boarding process will work? How guests will be grouped into cars? I've watched YouTube videos about "easy boarding gates," which make some sense, but I still think there will have to be CMs asking "how many?" and sorting people into groups before boarding.

One thing that will help at WDW: people won't be scrambling to get their skis into the slots on the outside of the car as in all the boarding videos I've seen.

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone been speculating on how the actual boarding process will work? How guests will be grouped into cars? I've watched YouTube videos about "easy boarding gates," which make some sense, but I still think there will have to be CMs asking "how many?" and sorting people into groups before boarding.

One thing that will help at WDW: people won't be scrambling to get their skis into the slots on the outside of the car as in all the boarding videos I've seen.
It's like grouping for an attraction. Sort of a cross between an omnimover and Kilimanjaro Safari. Disney has lots of experience.

I don't think they'll be trying to fully pack the cabins, just advance to the next cabin when the next group is too large to fit in the remaining space.

If they are using the same system as Singapore, I suggest you watch some videos on them. I also saw they have a special Sky Dining, I wonder if Disney will do this for the Fireworks shows?

The music is not my taste but here's a video of the Singapore cable cars, he went thru 4 stations and didn't get off.

Last edited:

We don't know for sure but we've been speculating that they likely won't pack in ever last spot but at the same time likely would put smaller groups together. So if one group is 6 or something then that would be it, but a couple groups of 2 would likely be put together in the same gondola

If they are using the same system as Singapore, I suggest you watch some videos on them. I also saw they have a special Sky Dining, I wonder if Disney will do this for the Fireworks shows?

The music is not my taste but here's a video of the Singapore cable cars, he went thru 4 stations and didn't get off.
Interesting that it looks pretty windy (look at the treetops), and there's a lot swaying going on during the 2nd & 3rd segments.

I bet those are pretty much exactly what Disney will use. Windows seem to be able to opened and closed by people inside. Which if it rains people will be able to close them.

So these continue moving or do the completly stop for loading? I only really know how the old skybuckets were and CMs having to manhandle them and we had to hurry on.

So these continue moving or do the completly stop for loading? I only really know how the old skybuckets were and CMs having to manhandle them and we had to hurry on.
They usually keep moving, but slow to about one mph. They come off the cable onto an overhead track, and are usually driven by rotating tires, like the original WEDway PeopleMover in DL or the original Journey Into Imagination. Everything is automatic, including opening and closing of the doors.

Looks fun .. more cars than I would expect, but I guess you will need that many if they don't hold many people. Originally I was expecting much larger cars, but this could work. Even if the lines are long to get on, it feels like this would get you to Epcot or DHS faster than a bus because you aren't waiting for the bus to show up .. waiting for people to load and then taking off and being a slave to the long, winding roads, traffic and lights.

I bet those are pretty much exactly what Disney will use. Windows seem to be able to opened and closed by people inside. Which if it rains people will be able to close them.

According to Lift blog yes these will be same as in Singapore, that makes a lot of sense to use a proven system.

Here's a video of someone riding them in a rain storm.

I go to Cedar Point and they have an old gondola ride and I have seen them many times use a hook and bring cars that are in storage and put them on the line and it never stopped.

LOL this will be fun when it breaks down.

May not be necessary here. The Singapore system runs over a wide harbor, and at heights of around 200 feet. Our system will be almost completely over land. Cabins may be reachable by a high lift truck.

I've read that gondola lifts usually have diesel backups, and the stations on our system will be fairly close together, so an aerial rescue would only be required in case of a major mechanical failure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter