Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I must be missing something. I realize people are worried about a shutdown and being stuck for an extended period of time but that has happened several times on the monorail in the last year or so and people had to be evacuated but I don't really see people claiming they won't ride the monorail over it. Is there some inherent difference in being stuck on the monorail that makes it better?

Good point. We haven’t ridden the monorail for years, except for one time when the ferry wasn’t running yet. We won’t ride it til the cars are replaced. Even taking the fiasco on day six into consideration, the Skyliner seems to be a lot more reliable than the monorail...in fact,
there’s been far less reports of extended delays since then.

I have ridden the Skyliner! That thing is AWSOME! So fast, so fun, it's an attraction in it's own right.
My only complaint is that it does not open early enough.

Travel Times:
Nov 1st - Leaving Fantasmic to room at pop: 23 min.
Exit Fantasmic Theater after show: 9:29pm
On Skyliner: 9:38 (2min wait at station)
Arrive CBR station: 9:43pm
Arrive Pop Station: 9:48pm
Arrive Pop room: 9:52pm

Nov 2nd: EPCOT post fireworks to POP: 28min
Exit EPCOT post fireworks: 10:12pm (Watched from bridge near the IG)
On Skyliner: 10:17pm
Arrive Pop room: 10:40pm

Nov 3rd: Park hop Epcot to Studios for SW Fireworks: 24 min
Exit Epcot: 8:10pm
On Skyliner: 8:14pm
Arrive CBR: 8:26pm
On Hollywood Blvd: 8:34pm

Nov 3rd: Post SW Fireworks (from close to the front) to POP: 20 Min
Fireworks End: 9:16pm
Enter Skyliner queue: 9:21pm
Arrive CBR: 9:27pm
Arrive Pop: 9:33pm
Arrive Pop Room: 9:36 pm

You can't touch those times using the bus system or Uber.
During all our trips we had one short slow down on the Epcot line and no stoppages at all.

Nice job with the times report.

And for us, the fast results aren't even necessary or the best part.

We were in no hurry to get off (well except the stop we had to wait), unlike the bus or a car.

I think the thing I will appreciate the most is leaving the park. There won't be that nagging feeling of wondering if you'll catch the bus or just miss it and have to wait forever. Not having to spy ahead and see if a bus is pulling into your terminal and having to make a mad dash for it.

I think the thing I will appreciate the most is leaving the park. There won't be that nagging feeling of wondering if you'll catch the bus or just miss it and have to wait forever. Not having to spy ahead and see if a bus is pulling into your terminal and having to make a mad dash for it.
That late night sprint from Epcot to Pop bus stop is torture - there have been a few Tuesday late nights where I just said oh well i can sit and wait for the next LOL

That late night sprint from Epcot to Pop bus stop is torture - there have been a few Tuesday late nights where I just said oh well i can sit and wait for the next LOL
I don't know about you, but at those moments I get very tempted by the minnie van's, but figure waiting for an available one will probably take just as long by that point.

We have an ADR at Topolino for breakfast at 8:30 on January 12th (the Sunday of marathon weekend). Can I expect the gondola to be open? I would probably need to leave Pop by 8 or so. If not, I need to ditch the ADR. I thought that would be a great way to get around during the marathon but hadn't thought about what time it opens.

We have an ADR at Topolino for breakfast at 8:30 on January 12th (the Sunday of marathon weekend). Can I expect the gondola to be open? I would probably need to leave Pop by 8 or so. If not, I need to ditch the ADR. I thought that would be a great way to get around during the marathon but hadn't thought about what time it opens.

It's been opening at 8 so we never took it because of when dhs opened. It's also hard to say because there's always a chance it doesn't open on time and then what?

We did try it one day because we saw the line running but the gates were closed. Pops small enough and we were in 50s so it wasn't a huge thing to walk towards thr bridge to look and then up to the busses.

Not sure how this is impacted by marathons or how consistent this is, but on more than one instance during our BWV stay a couple weeks ago we saw a skyliner bus doing the rounds early in the morning before it was running.

If it’s running by 8 like it has been and you have no downtime issues of course, you’d have more than enough time to make it to Riviera by 830 though!

It's been opening at 8 so we never took it because of when dhs opened. It's also hard to say because there's always a chance it doesn't open on time and then what?

We did try it one day because we saw the line running but the gates were closed. Pops small enough and we were in 50s so it wasn't a huge thing to walk towards thr bridge to look and then up to the busses.
Not sure how this is impacted by marathons or how consistent this is, but on more than one instance during our BWV stay a couple weeks ago we saw a skyliner bus doing the rounds early in the morning before it was running.

If it’s running by 8 like it has been and you have no downtime issues of course, you’d have more than enough time to make it to Riviera by 830 though!
Thanks. I'll probably keep it and plan on running for an Uber if I find the Skyliner closed. I have to think they'll understand if I'm late because of Marathon morning ground traffic.

I came in last night, and we rode the line to Epcot to go to the boardwalk for a little bit. The ride was amazing. We had no stops from pop to Epcot and back. Ride was nice, smooth and efficient. We mostly had a cabin ourselves, but did share with another couple from Epcot to CBR as Epcot was closing soon and there was a line starting to form.

We even timed it just right and got back on at 9pm back to CBR/pop and had a view of fireworks from Epcot, HS and even MK I think. It was great.

Back from a week stay at Pop. Absolutely loved the Skyliner!!! 10+ trips on it throughout the week. Wanted to change my stay next year to Pop just for the skyliner, but sadly it's already booked for the week I'll be there. Heard nothing but positive comments from those at the resort and those riding, everybody seemed to really enjoy them! The views you get alone are more than worth a ride around!

The many positive reports are encouraging me to ride the Skyliner. My husband says it's simply the most efficient way to get from Epcot to HS and Pop. I know he's right, but I am still nervous.

Thanks to everyone for coming in and giving such detailed reports!!!

The many positive reports are encouraging me to ride the Skyliner. My husband says it's simply the most efficient way to get from Epcot to HS and Pop. I know he's right, but I am still nervous.

I agree with your husband. Of course, at any point any of us could get stuck and delay our arrival at a park but I think the trade off is worth it. We plan to ride all we can as this is the main reason we chose Caribbean Beach for our December stay. We'll have a stroller with us and this was key since we won't have to fold it up (it's a single stroller).

I agree with your husband. Of course, at any point any of us could get stuck and delay our arrival at a park but I think the trade off is worth it. We plan to ride all we can as this is the main reason we chose Caribbean Beach for our December stay. We'll have a stroller with us and this was key since we won't have to fold it up (it's a single stroller).

I was all in before that crazy "incident." I realize it's been running smoothly since, so I am feeling much better about it.

I absolutely loved it. I stopped once on the Epcot line for maybe 3 minutes and it wasn’t bad at all. I’m excited to stay on the line again.

I have ridden the Skyliner! That thing is AWSOME! So fast, so fun, it's an attraction in it's own right.
My only complaint is that it does not open early enough.
Shutdown - A different day a different experience.

Yesterday I was on the Skyliner going from Studios back to EPCOT when the entire system was shutdown for impending weather. I landed at CBR and was pointed down the ramp to the bus loop they created by the Skyliner Station. What happened next can be best described as a clustermoof. There is one loop and one queue to serve buses going to: POP/Art, EPCOT, and Studios. The uncovered line quickly built to where it was back up the ramp into the station.

When a new bus pulled up there was mass confusion of people trying to jostle past other people waiting for a different bus. Despite the massive crowds I saw at least one bus pull out with space still on it because people waiting for it could not get there. Also while there is room for two buses to load at a time cast members were stopping them at the first spot leaving other buses stacked up waiting, I have no idea why that was.

My thought was to stroll across the parking lot to the actual CBR stops. Turns out that would not have been a good plan. After about 25-30min I eventually made it on an EPCOT bus which was packed full and then continued on to the regular CBR stops which had long lines waiting for our totally packed bus.

I never saw/heard any lighting, and it never rained more than quick very light mist.

Shutdown - A different day a different experience.

Yesterday I was on the Skyliner going from Studios back to EPCOT when the entire system was shutdown for impending weather. I landed at CBR and was pointed down the ramp to the bus loop they created by the Skyliner Station. What happened next can be best described as a clustermoof. There is one loop and one queue to serve buses going to: POP/Art, EPCOT, and Studios. The uncovered line quickly built to where it was back up the ramp into the station.

When a new bus pulled up there was mass confusion of people trying to jostle past other people waiting for a different bus. Despite the massive crowds I saw at least one bus pull out with space still on it because people waiting for it could not get there. Also while there is room for two buses to load at a time cast members were stopping them at the first spot leaving other buses stacked up waiting, I have no idea why that was.

My thought was to stroll across the parking lot to the actual CBR stops. Turns out that would not have been a good plan. After about 25-30min I eventually made it on an EPCOT bus which was packed full and then continued on to the regular CBR stops which had long lines waiting for our totally packed bus.

I never saw/heard any lighting, and it never rained more than quick very light mist.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Makes me wonder if the France Bridge area has swollen in attendance for Fireworks.

Folks trying to be first to the Skyliner instead of toward the bus stop.

Makes me wonder if the France Bridge area has swollen in attendance for Fireworks.

Folks trying to be first to the Skyliner instead of toward the bus stop.
Yes, 100% yes. We were on the bridge 5 people deep on a day when there was space to just walk up and stand most of the way around the lagoon .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter