• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I’ll happily ride. When I compare to the number of severe accidents on our local highways for every 1 million riders, the Skyliner is my choice. Even at Disney we average seeing at least 1 vehicle accident on property during our stay and more than once these accidents have involved Disney buses with guests on board.

No transportation system is perfect so I’m happy to add the Skyliner into my Disney options,

I would only not ride if I were leaving that day to catch my plane and didn't have time allowed for possible issues... having said that though, my family was on a bus once that broke down and it took hours to get them to their destination, so, the problem perceived is probably worse than it actually is.

At Disney, we’ve been stuck on a monorail for an hour and a half and waited over an hour once for a bus to come and get us after magic hours. They sent one bus every 30 minutes, and the line for the buses was so long that we couldn’t get on until the 3rd one. My point is, waiting is just a part of the Disney experience, albeit a bad part.

At Disney, we’ve been stuck on a monorail for an hour and a half and waited over an hour once for a bus to come and get us after magic hours. They sent one bus every 30 minutes, and the line for the buses was so long that we couldn’t get on until the 3rd one. My point is, waiting is just a part of the Disney experience, albeit a bad part.

And why staying at a resort within walking distance is my strategy on most trips.

And why staying at a resort within walking distance is my strategy on most trips.

We go to all 4 parks when we go to WDW. No resort is within walking distance to every park. I own at BWV and BLT. Both of those resorts are within walking distance to one park. However, we either have to take an Uber, our own car, or Disney transportation when visiting every other park except the one within walking distance. I agree that walking is better than riding, no question, but you can’t walk to everything if you visit them all like we do.

right, thanks for the clarification, we have found split stays to take advantage of walking proximity helps except for AK. We stick with bus Uber to AK. Usually works out.

right, thanks for the clarification, we have found split stays to take advantage of walking proximity helps except for AK. We stick with bus Uber to AK. Usually works out.

We’ve been known to Uber as well. I always feel silly doing it, but you gotta do what you gotta do! :rolleyes1

I have ridden the Skyliner! That thing is AWSOME! So fast, so fun, it's an attraction in it's own right.
My only complaint is that it does not open early enough.

Travel Times:
Nov 1st - Leaving Fantasmic to room at pop: 23 min.
Exit Fantasmic Theater after show: 9:29pm
On Skyliner: 9:38 (2min wait at station)
Arrive CBR station: 9:43pm
Arrive Pop Station: 9:48pm
Arrive Pop room: 9:52pm

Nov 2nd: EPCOT post fireworks to POP: 28min
Exit EPCOT post fireworks: 10:12pm (Watched from bridge near the IG)
On Skyliner: 10:17pm
Arrive Pop room: 10:40pm

Nov 3rd: Park hop Epcot to Studios for SW Fireworks: 24 min
Exit Epcot: 8:10pm
On Skyliner: 8:14pm
Arrive CBR: 8:26pm
On Hollywood Blvd: 8:34pm

Nov 3rd: Post SW Fireworks (from close to the front) to POP: 20 Min
Fireworks End: 9:16pm
Enter Skyliner queue: 9:21pm
Arrive CBR: 9:27pm
Arrive Pop: 9:33pm
Arrive Pop Room: 9:36 pm

You can't touch those times using the bus system or Uber.
During all our trips we had one short slow down on the Epcot line and no stoppages at all.

I must be missing something. I realize people are worried about a shutdown and being stuck for an extended period of time but that has happened several times on the monorail in the last year or so and people had to be evacuated but I don't really see people claiming they won't ride the monorail over it. Is there some inherent difference in being stuck on the monorail that makes it better?

I must be missing something. I realize people are worried about a shutdown and being stuck for an extended period of time but that has happened several times on the monorail in the last year or so and people had to be evacuated but I don't really see people claiming they won't ride the monorail over it. Is there some inherent difference in being stuck on the monorail that makes it better?
Probably because it has air conditioning on it all through if it's stopped with no power that doesn't work either.

I avoid the monorail. I’d rather take a Lyft.

We do not ride the monorail. We got stuck once for maybe 30 minutes because of a train in front of us having troubles. Though we did not have air. It was miserable.

DH and I rode the Skyliner for the first time last night. I didn’t keep records of any times, but it was very convenient. Staying offsite this trip, we parked at DHS and rode to Epcot because we wanted to eat in World Showcase, and it was much quicker than the Friendship Boat. (Made us wonder how much ridership is down on the boats now.)

Anyway, it was just the two of us on the DHS - CBR leg both directions and the CBR to IG leg, but we had another couple with us when returning to CBR from Epcot. That was about 8PM, and there was a moderate line of people waiting, but they were not combining parties larger than two.

Re strollers, it appeared that doublewides were being folded, singles not.

We stopped for less than a minute on the IG to CBR leg, and I’ll admit the air got still. It was stuffy when traveling slowly through the Riviera station. Otherwise ventilation was great.

Boy, they do come into the stations fast and come close to the gondola in front before they stop! I can certainly understand someone being startled by the sudden stop, especially if riding backwards.

We liked it, and I can’t wait to ride in daylight so I can see the lay of the land from above. We also decided that the Skyliner makes it much more feasible to leave DHS to travel to Epcot to eat in WS.

I definitely get your point ... I do think for some people being enclosed in a small space, hanging from a wire is just not the same as being in a larger vehicle on a solid concrete beam

I totally admit to be irrational when it comes to my feelings about monorail vs skyliner. Whether or not it’s true, I think monorail *feels* like an easier evacuation and you don’t feel like you’re just dangling there. The monorail takes it’s fair share of crap from people, but I think it’s also given more slack because it’s so old and past it’s replacement date. The skyliner is brand new, and people were hesitant to begin with, so any problems it has are going to be magnified. I also don’t think the terrible way they handled the accident is doing any favours, as a lot of people’s concerns were realized 6 days in.

I did enjoy the skyliner and it was great for going between DHS and Epcot. I also think it’s an awesome addition to Pop/AOA and CBR. If we were staying value or moderate we would probably lean towards those because of it. We still prefer the walking resorts, so because of that I absolutely don’t see the appeal of Riviera at that price. Skyliner doesn’t do it for us. I see it kind of like a bonus, but not a feature, if that makes sense.

If the monorail stops there is no motion of the cab. When the Skyliner stops, the gondolas continue to sway and bounce on the wire subject to the vagaries of the wind and weather as well as the movement of other guests in other gondolas. Movement of a stalled gondola can quickly induce a feeling of nausea hence the barf bags included in the emergency kit.

Have to say as someone who had zero interest in the Skyliner I enjoyed the ride and ease of the system. My wife and my siblings with their SO really enjoyed the ease of getting from DHS to Epcot and back yesterday. Even with a moderate line your constantly moving as the cabs load quick.

Will I buy Rivera as second home along with the VGF? No. Will I take the Skyliner again? Yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter