Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Looks like folks from the DIS are riding it now - so hopefully they come out with a video or something with their thoughts on how it was and if they noticed any differences

They did take a photo of this sign that I think is new (saw others report of it as well and today is first day I recall seeing it) mentioning that there may be starts and stops while riding

I imagine that sign is new. Informational, but a warning of sorts.

Well they put a zip tie on the emergency kit

I hope that helps!

I wonder how long they will continue to let groups board on their own and not load full capacity
If doing it that way prevents another incident, then that will be the new norm..I'm all for it if I won't get stuck for 3+ hours

I'm with @Spaceguy55 - maybe one of the issues was that putting groups together actually slows down boarding as people jockey for position (or beckon for others to go in front of them), roll strollers in, etc., especially when excited kids are in the mix. I could see a couple of kids loading, sitting across from each other, then their parents tell them to move and sit next to each other, to make room for the other party. It could actually speed things up if they don't put strangers together.

In the UK there is a polite expression that is used to remind people not to hoard space in public spaces: they say "Budge up!" We Americans don't really have an analogous phrase. ("Could you please scoot over?" doesn't really have the same humorous scolding quality to it.)

I've always thought that's a bit telling, actually. We joke about "manspreading", but it's more than that, and I would actually put money on the likelihood that there is almost always some jockeying for position if you just wave 2 groups of Americans toward any kind of gondola without telling them which one is supposed to board first.

I think that the new signs about delays are a good start, but I think that they would be better if they also said something like, "Delays of up to XX minutes at a time should be considered normal."

So, will we now get folks bringing more pocketknives into the parks, with the reasoning that "I might need it to open the emergency kit"?

In the UK there is a polite expression that is used to remind people not to hoard space in public spaces: they say "Budge up!" We Americans don't really have an analogous phrase. ("Could you please scoot over?" doesn't really have the same humorous scolding quality to it.)

I've always thought that's a bit telling, actually. We joke about "manspreading", but it's more than that, and I would actually put money on the likelihood that there is almost always some jockeying for position if you just wave 2 groups of Americans toward any kind of gondola without telling them which one is supposed to board first.

I think that the new signs about delays are a good start, but I think that they would be better if they also said something like, "Delays of up to XX minutes at a time should be considered normal."

So, will we now get folks bringing more pocketknives into the parks, with the reasoning that "I might need it to open the emergency kit"?

Oh, yeah. "Fill in all the available space" has practically no meaning anymore. Nobody even pays attention to it. Sometimes I just walk right past people - I'm not skipping, just following the CM's directions!

Those wire ties are easily opened .. I think the main reason for them is for a CM at the arriving station to see if the have been tampered with..

If that's the case then it is still a fail unless there is a nightly inspection rotation. That ziptie is too small to easily be inspected in passing from outside the cabin. First thing I thought when I saw the pic was, why isn't there a colored tag hanging on the ziptie that says "FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY!!" If the tie is broken the tag would fall off, and its absence would be a lot easier to see.

Is the story of the fire department not being able to locate the Gondola that needed to be evacuated rumor or news?

I'm betting Disney doesn't want big numbers on the bottom of the cars. So people don't look up and wonder why they need numbers.

That’s great news! I’m glad they were able to identify the problem and rectify it so quickly. I hope it runs smoothly from here on out.
Hopefully the Skyliner will be running with no further issues. We arrive Dec 9 with a stay at CBR, mainly for the convenience of the gondola. Obviously it isn't a deal breaker but it sure would be convenient! A little curious about the Dec Epcot hours, though. It indicates that on Dec 14 it starts running at 0800...which doesn't help our 0810 am Garden Grill ADR! Hopefully the bus will run earlier. I may have to look into moving that ADR.

I’m sure that’s part of it but like I said also Doppelmayr is going to want this system to be very successful to tell other potential buyers “look at what we did for Disney” that sort of thing speaks volumes.
Not to mention the millions of people who visit WDW each year then can go home and ask/support their local municipality adopting a gondola system. I'd guess that's even more valuable for the urban gondola movement.

Hopefully the Skyliner will be running with no further issues. We arrive Dec 9 with a stay at CBR, mainly for the convenience of the gondola. Obviously it isn't a deal breaker but it sure would be convenient! A little curious about the Dec Epcot hours, though. It indicates that on Dec 14 it starts running at 0800...which doesn't help our 0810 am Garden Grill ADR! Hopefully the bus will run earlier. I may have to look into moving that ADR.

We booked CBR for our Feb trip largely for the Skyliner. If it isn't running for them we may just move offsite

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter