Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

If you looks at the pictures you can see the problem... too many yellow cars grouped together :)
They overwhelmed the teal car who wasn't moving fast enough and should have been in the slow lane to begin with.

But seriously... I am going with something mechanical. The reports I read indicated the line was down for about 10 minutes and once started the teal car did not move for whatever reason. It could be something like a weak drive motor. It has enough power to keep the car moving though the station be not enough to start a gondola from a dead stop. Who knows. I am sure all us armchair engineers and crash experts have theories. We'll just have to wait and see what the investigation finds out.

Yea if this happened when the are in that tight line, and the front one doesn't catch-there's a great chance they would pile up. But relatively low impact-except that first swinging back cabin.

Speculation on my part ... but yes that sounds like what may have happened based on bits and pieces of various accounts. It looks (possibly) like the blue gondola caused the back-up after failing to launch properly. There may not have been any 'crashes' based on accounts, but the gondolas stuck the middle might have been crushed from the forces exerted causing the metal fatigue and broken plexiglas.

Root cause may be focused on what caused the launch failure, and then the mass evacuation issues thereafter.

Still all speculation though at this point ...

Speculation on my part ... but yes that sounds like what may have happened based on bits and pieces of various accounts. It looks (possibly) like the blue gondola caused the back-up after failing to launch properly. There may not have been any 'crashes' based on accounts, but the gondolas stuck the middle might have been crushed from the forces exerted causing the metal fatigue and broken plexiglas.

Ok thanks. Makes sense. This had to have happened somewhere else in the history of gondolas I would think.

Root cause may be focused on what caused the launch failure, and then the mass evacuation issues thereafter.

Yea probably a fast location of specific cabins would be pretty easy to build in.

Not sure on the survival kits always being ready. Maybe operations could send a signal to "open" the kits when delayed stops happen.

Still all speculation though at this point ...

We do a good job with that here.

Yea if this happened when the are in that tight line, and the front one doesn't catch-there's a great chance they would pile up. But relatively low impact-except that first swinging back cabin.
It seems like there should be a fail safe in place preventing this.

If discounts follow the 2020 winter dont get excited, they raised prices then dropped super low discounts, disney is officially too greedy and offering less and less
I do already have 3 preferred pool view rooms booked. Will just have to wait to see if any future discount will save me any money.

Regarding the post RTeetz quoted:

See that starts to make sense with the timeline. They wanted to clear the line to bring the gondolas back in to avoid a mass evacuation. I have to believe that if at all possible, it is safer to bring the gondolas back to the station than to evacuate them in the air. But they didn't want to work on clearing the line during an emergency evac situation, which also makes sense. It explains why only a few gondolas were evacuated and seemingly in order. And it starts to explain, though not excuse, what took so long to clear the line and return the gondolas to the stations.

There are several critical failures to address. One, why the accident happened. Two, the problem with identifying individual gondolas. Three, the problem with the emergency supplies. Four, the problem with emergency information. Five, the time to evacuate an individual gondola.

Of these problems, they will find the fault that caused the accident in the first place. I'm thinking they shouldn't have a problem doing that. Once it is identified there will be a solution because these lines exist all over the world. Whether it is user error or a mechanical fault, I actually think this will be one of the easier problems to address.

There is a super simple solution to the second problem. Paint some luminescent numbers on the bottom of the gondolas. That seems like a stupid oversight but that is kind of the definition of a failure a lot of times.

The third does not have an easy solution. People suck and they are going to steal stuff.

Problem four seems to be easily correctable, though completely anathema to Disney's modus operandi in any kind of situation. But if you solve four, you lessen the problem of jamming up 911. Disney's reticence to provide people with usable information is going to have to change. That's is going to be hard for Disney. But, if you tell people that they are safe, there is an evac for a medical emergency ONLY going on, and to please stay off 911 unless absolutely necessary and provide timely updates that the evac is continuing and that as soon as it is finished work will resume to return cars to the stations, MOST people will understand that an emergency evac comes first and that while it is inconvenient, there is a plan and they will stay calm. Providing no information leads to 911 calls that make things worse.

Problem Five is going to need some work. I don't care how hard it is to find a single gondola, they still only evacuated a few in a row over a significant amount of time. That pretty much shows they can't evacuate the line in a timely manner.

This is from GymleaderPhil on WDWmagic
At the very least they're going to need to get the gondola numbers visible from ground level, and some way to determine which gondolas are occupied. Sounds like they might have to improve the lighting and some kind of system for keeping the emergency kits stocked. What are we looking at as a time-frame for re-opening...a year???

At the very least they're going to need to get the gondola numbers visible from ground level, and some way to determine which gondolas are occupied. Sounds like they might have to improve the lighting and some kind of system for keeping the emergency kits stocked. What are we looking at as a time-frame for re-opening...a year???
I don't think anyone knows, but I'm guessing it will be measured in weeks. The original fault will need to be resolved but that could be simple training if it was user error or a failure part. Either are simple fixes. But no, I doubt you are looking at a year. Neither Dopplemyer or Disney have any desire to see these sitting there unused. Both companies have too much on the line to do that.

I'm staying at Pop next month and have no intention of switching over this. There are other modes of transportation.
I feel the same way. I have stayed at Pop multiple times and only had the buses available. I don’t know anything different there. I got a good rate for my stay in December (booked it a long time ago) so I really wouldn’t get a better rate at All Star (and since my dates overlap a little with Pop Warner, I probably wouldn’t want to stay at All Star at that time anyway). If it’s up and running, I will ride it, but I will do two things. I will make a last bathroom stop before getting in line no matter what and I will get a bottle of water to take on board.
IMHO - it's not the mode of transportation that I have an issue with - it's the increase in price once the Skyliner opened. Point of reference, and only because I happen to know, we stayed in a 1 BR suite @ AoA, Aug 2019, price was $440/night. Same room right now, Aug 2020 is $490/night. That's an 11% increase. Did rack rates go up that much WDW wide when the Skyliner opened? I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. Now I have full confidence that the Skyliner will be back up and running by summer 2020, but it does seem like the people in Pop, CB and AoA should be given the pre-Skyliner rate until it is fixed. Sorry to say, but I really think it's going to be a rather lengthy delay before that happens.

I agree with others that the blue car likely failed to grip the cable.

It's possible that it was due to a manufacturing flaw with just that one car, and not a problem with the system. Metal ramps holld the clamp open and guide it onto the cable, once it's on there the weight of the cabin holds the clamp closed. Any of the metal tabs wheels or ramps could have been misaligned on that car, or maybe the clamp didn't close all the way.

This is from GymleaderPhil on WDWmagic

This makes you wonder if the Gondola system might be closed a little longer than we all think.

To me the biggest problem is getting those numbers visible from the ground. Should be easy enough by putting them bigger on the bottom (yes it will look less attractive but i see no other choice). This is done on the roofs of pretty much every mass transit buss across the country so they can be visible and located by helicopters ICE. Also maybe some kind of light on the outside that will indicate if the gondola is occupied or not.

Second problem seems to be how to determine how many people in each gondola (no clue how they would do that)

Disney might need some more time going over procedures with Reedy Creek before they reopen.

The mechanism (in the station ceiling) feeding more cars (the yellow ones in this case) to the station exit should have stopped before the collision with the blue car having difficulty launching.

The overhead mechanism can move many closely spaced cars at the same time but must start and stop so only one car at a time goes onto the launching section at the station exit.

Either there are not enough sensors to detect possible collisions or the sensors there were not working correctly.

The cars have intercoms with emergency button, no? Such an intercom can send a car ID number with each transmission.

There is no slow lane at the station exit. There, each car is treated the same way by the overhead mechanisms and the cable.

Last edited:
More wild speculation, but I have to wonder if the disabled access system has anything to do with this. Snowboarding has been a passion of mine for years and I've been all over N. America and ridden literally dozens of gondolas, in much higher winds, much more difficult access, etc. I've never seen an issue like this, especially with the newer high-speed systems. The disabled access is the only thing that is different.

More wild speculation, but I have to wonder if the disabled access system has anything to do with this. Snowboarding has been a passion of mine for years and I've been all over N. America and ridden literally dozens of gondolas, in much higher winds, much more difficult access, etc. I've never seen an issue like this, especially with the newer high-speed systems. The disabled access is the only thing that is different.
There is no separate differently abled access at Riviera where the accident occurred. It's a turn station where the gondolas slow significantly for loading. So that would not apply to this accident.

To me the biggest problem is getting those numbers visible from the ground. Should be easy enough by putting them bigger on the bottom (yes it will look less attractive but i see no other choice). This is done on the roofs of pretty much every mass transit buss across the country so they can be visible and located by helicopters ICE.

Look at that S Car go. And I showed myself out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter