Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

We are at Pop now and rode gondola yesterday afternoon and evening as well. It was moving when we went out this morning but I didn’t look to see if there were people on it.

Got on the Pop/AoA line around 7:45 this morning and made it to DHS by 8am. The gondolas were stop & go in the station in terms of letting people on for some reason, but once we were up there it never stopped. Totally smooth process from CBR to DHS.

...aaaand the local news just came on after the Ohio State game and showed the people stuck on gondolas tonight. Wow! Can’t believe I rode this morning and now this. We did Epcot to AoA last night and had a great and smooth time.

Can anyone comment on whether the other lines are in fact open - or if they’ve been cleared as well? I would think if the other lines are still running it would indicate Disney knows what the issue is, and isn’t concerned it will happen on other lines.

I believe I read on WDWMagic that they weren't letting people on at DHS. I don't remember if the line was running or not.

UPDATE

Blog Mickey story has been updated and includes video showing the Epcot line is moving again SLOWLY but this will allow them to evacuate cabins in a much more timely manner!!

10. I think I’m in love with this form of travel. It is really so peaceful and relaxing riding in them. I could have fallen asleep. The kids and husband enjoyed it too.
Does anyone know if they’ve stopped the other 2 lines? I would guess they have but it’s purely a guess.
Can anyone comment on whether the other lines are in fact open - or if they’ve been cleared as well? I would think if the other lines are still running it would indicate Disney knows what the issue is, and isn’t concerned it will happen on other lines.

I take back my last comment! Being stuck for more than 10 minutes would have done me in. I can’t imagine hours!!

Signs at Pop show gondola is closed. Not sure if it’s just because it’s earlier than they open or if it’s closed all day from the incident. We are on the bus to Studios now

This is what I expect - it will be down for at least WEEKS. Having one incident like this is bad enough - but if they reopen and it were to happen again, then they are looking at a situation where no one may ever trust the skyliner again. They need to determine what went wrong and be certain they've corrected it along the entire route. I would expect some downtime and then some more testing time. We are going in three weeks and would be surprised if it is back up and running by then.

Disney is so very lucky no one was in the cars that hit each other. Also, thank God it didn’t happen during the day. It’s been so hot lately, people would’ve been sick from the heat. I doubt one lone bottle of water would’ve stopped people from getting heat stroke.
I’m a bit curious what’s in their emergency kits. Anyone know?

Last edited:
This is what I expect - it will be down for at least WEEKS. Having one incident like this is bad enough - but if they reopen and it were to happen again, then they are looking at a situation where no one may ever trust the skyliner again. They need to determine what went wrong and be certain they've corrected it along the entire route. I would expect some downtime and then some more testing time. We are going in three weeks and would be surprised if it is back up and running by then.
I think you're right, when this re-opens it needs to be 100%. Wasn't there a fiasco when Rivers Of Light opened and it was delayed nearly a year? And that didn't involve guest safety issues.

Disney is so very lucky no one was in those cars. Also, thank God it didn’t happen during the day. It’s been so hot lately, people would’ve been sick from the heat. I doubt one lone bottle of water would’ve stopped people from getting heat stroke.
I’m a bit curious what’s in their emergency kits. Anyone know?

?? There were people in the cars. They had to be evacuated.

I doubt we'll see the root cause of this failure. That's fine, but certainly points to a lack of remediation strategies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter