Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Waiting an entire month after SWGE opens to run the gondolas.
At this point, we don't know yet how WDW is going to meter people into GE. If they do some sort of reservation system to get in for the first month or so like DL did, there might not be an immediate need to have an extra transportation system up and running to deal with heavier than normal crowds because there won't be any.

Galaxy's Edge will open when it opens and the Skyliner will open when it's ready and neither is dependent on the other to operate successfully.

At this point, we don't know yet how WDW is going to meter people into GE. If they do some sort of reservation system to get in for the first month or so like DL did, there might not be an immediate need to have an extra transportation system up and running to deal with heavier than normal crowds because there won't be any.

Galaxy's Edge will open when it opens and the Skyliner will open when it's ready and neither is dependent on the other to operate successfully.

Unless Disney reverses course to what they have said, there will not be a reservation period at WDW for Galaxy's Edge. They are doing 3 hour EMH every morning and will have AP and CM previews.

I usually like his reviews and post but this one really annoyed me. I'm really bothered by his negativity about them when he hasn't even been on them. Also, if you don't want to ride the gondolas in the summer than don't stay at those resorts, easy as that.
He was pooping on the travel times and saying that it could be as longer or longer than a bus ride, but he's leaving out the up-to-20 minute wait for a bus to arrive. These look like they can move a busload of people every few minutes, so you may be able to walk on with little to no wait at all, at least for the ride to the park in the morning.

Any more speculation/rumors as to potential future skyliner installs? I know there was rumor at the time the skyliner was announced that something might be going to animal kingdom, but not necessarily a gondola.
The bridge permit and MK front gate build out makes me wonder if something could happen there. You have two deluxe properties in the MK not served by the monorail and the age of the monorail. I have to believe you might be able to replace the monorail capacity with a skyliner or funicular (new build) for less than buying new trains. Really I think only the iconic status of the monorail is saving it. A furnicular could be made to look like a monorail as well.

Temperature comfort is totally subjective though. I have seen comments from people saying they are looking forward to the gondolas because the buses are too cold. Personally I have never been on a bus that is too cold. You may be very comfortable when the temps are 85-90, and my comfortable temps may be 70-75. No two people are going to feel the same level of comfort no matter what the actual temperature is. I am looking forward to finding out some factual information regarding the actual temperatures in the gondolas so I can determine for myself whether I will be comfortable riding them. I am hoping to at least be able to ride them in the winter. I hope they do at least soft open in August and we can get some feedback.
The important thing is relative to outdoor comfort, since everyone riding it is at an outdoor theme park. So my post meant, I've never noticed them feeling hotter than the surrounding environment. If you can stand the temperature in the parks, there will be no problem with the gondolas. If you want the gondolas to feel like an air conditioned car, you'll be disappointed.

They will feel more comfortable than being in the sun at the same time, and will likely feel about the same as being in the shade with a mild breeze. The point is not that they are going to be refreshing, the point is they won't be heat boxes of death that many people seem to think they'll be.

Most people will get on and never think about the temperature feeling any different than it did in the station.

They will not be doing a reservation system like DL. If so that would’ve been announced by now.

Any more speculation/rumors as to potential future skyliner installs? I know there was rumor at the time the skyliner was announced that something might be going to animal kingdom, but not necessarily a gondola.
The bridge permit and MK front gate build out makes me wonder if something could happen there. You have two deluxe properties in the MK not served by the monorail and the age of the monorail. I have to believe you might be able to replace the monorail capacity with a skyliner or funicular (new build) for less than buying new trains. Really I think only the iconic status of the monorail is saving it. A furnicular could be made to look like a monorail as well.
Nothing at this time.

Well, I'm glad we finally have a date but I have to be honest it leaves me a little befuddled. They're planning the parks like they are going to break all attendance records and the transit like no one is going to show up.

Disney currently provides bus transportation to guests staying at the gondola resorts. Until the gondolas are fully up and running, the buses will still be around.

In a perfect world, the gondolas would be done prior to the theme park expansion. But, that didn't happen for whatever reason. Since Disney will still be providing transportation for guests, I personally don't see this as an issue.

Actually, I’ve always had excellent bus experiences at AofA and Pop. I check bus arrival times as I’m getting ready to leave my room so I know how quick I need to be if I want to catch a particular bus. Other then stop lights, bus traffic is generally a non issue.

Although one thing that slows the bus trips down is the unloading/loading of ECV’s. You may be more likely to get to Epcot faster by Gondola at these times.

So you wait up to 20 minutes in your room or food court for the bus instead of the bus line. Instead of waiting, you can just walk to the gondola and be on your way without worrying when the next bus arrives. Still time saved.

So you wait up to 20 minutes in your room or food court for the bus instead of the bus line. Instead of waiting, you can just walk to the gondola and be on your way without worrying when the next bus arrives. Still time saved.
I don’t see it as waiting when I fill my time doing things I need to do or enjoy such as getting ready, buying something from the food court, or browsing the gift store. :)
YMMV

Waiting for buses and having to collapse strollers for a bus are literally my two most hated things at Disney, both are fixed by the gondola.
Well I definitely hate waiting for the bus from the park to the resort, so the gondola certainly has that advantage. I wish bus wait times were available from the parks to the resorts.

The biggest bottleneck in all of WDW is still the MK parking lot. The boats and monorail just don't have enough capacity. Supplementing with buses helps but it's still a long wait after fireworks. Skyliner from MK to parking lot seems like a no-brainer (I guess that would serve Poly too). You could extend it to WL/BRV/CCV and maybe even Fort Wilderness and Reflections from there. Some variation of that anyway...

Loading ECVs when they are part of a large party is my most hated thing.
FIFY. It can be a bit slow if it's just an ECV and maybe one or two other guests. If they are part of a large party though, not only do you have to wait for the ECV to be locked down, you might not get on the bus at all.

Word from inside Doppelmayr is that 14 (not 100% about that number, might be misremembering) lines had been planned out. 5 are currently built now. So they planned out an expansion, of course that doesn’t mean they’ll happen.

Word from inside Doppelmayr is that 14 (not 100% about that number, might be misremembering) lines had been planned out. 5 are currently built now. So they planned out an expansion, of course that doesn’t mean they’ll happen.

Where do you get 5?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter