Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I felt the exact same way! I’m normally a huge Josh fan and appreciate his reviews but not this one. Wish I hadn’t taken the time to read it which is something I’ve never said about his posts in the past.

I read it and found it less than optimistic. I also am a fan of Josh and not sure what steered this article in that direction. Regardless, I'm going to experience the gondolas myself and make my own determination.

The skyliner will run before September 29th.
So you think they will do some soft openings maybe a few days here and there? I didnt want to bank on that for our SWGE opening trip so I switched resorts. It would be a fun surprise to get to ride it at least once during our 2 week trip.

I usually like his reviews and post but this one really annoyed me. I'm really bothered by his negativity about them when he hasn't even been on them. Also, if you don't want to ride the gondolas in the summer than don't stay at those resorts, easy as that.

yeah, my first thought was "Salty much?"

Having the Skyliner even in soft opening just makes it seem like the left hand was not talking to the right. Especially when there was a push to get Star Wars up and running early. The prudent thing to do would to have the Skyliner officially open and running without kinks to have that potential capacity before the predicted onslaught. (Which, it seems, is not actually shaping up to be an issue, but I digress.)

Having the Skyliner even in soft opening just makes it seem like the left hand was not talking to the right. Especially when there was a push to get Star Wars up and running early. The prudent thing to do would to have the Skyliner officially open and running without kinks to have that potential capacity before the predicted onslaught. (Which, it seems, is not actually shaping up to be an issue, but I digress.)
Disney operates like that all the time. Disney operates like hundreds of little independent companies at times. Disneyland doesn't mix with WDW, and same with Cruise Line. Operations and Imagineering are two different things as well.

Skyliner will soft open right around the SWGE opening. They aren't officially opening because not all 3 lines will be completely finished by then.

So you think they will do some soft openings maybe a few days here and there? I didnt want to bank on that for our SWGE opening trip so I switched resorts. It would be a fun surprise to get to ride it at least once during our 2 week trip.
No I am confident they will open the DHS line and if not the AoA/Pop line right around the SWGE opening and the Epcot line won't open until later.

Now I had to read that article with all of those comments!

I will say I was just in a similar gondola system a week ago. Temps in the 90s, probably had only about half the ventilation of the Skyliner system (one small louvred window each side) and it was fine. I would say I preferred it over many an air conditioned bus I've been on.

Snarky posts like that are more for the clicks. And on this particular issue they can take advantage of people just not knowing the difference.

I will say I was just in a similar gondola system a week ago. Temps in the 90s, probably had only about half the ventilation of the Skyliner system (one small louvred window each side) and it was fine. I would say I preferred it over many an air conditioned bus I've been on.

Snarky posts like that are more for the clicks. And on this particular issue they can take advantage of people just not knowing the difference.
I’ve thought about the buses and sometimes, they are too cold for me. The gondola would be nice for folks like me😛.

Disney operates like that all the time. Disney operates like hundreds of little independent companies at times. Disneyland doesn't mix with WDW, and same with Cruise Line. Operations and Imagineering are two different things as well.

Oh I know, but I don't think that makes it any better.

I usually like his reviews and post but this one really annoyed me. I'm really bothered by his negativity about them when he hasn't even been on them. Also, if you don't want to ride the gondolas in the summer than don't stay at those resorts, easy as that.

I felt the exact same way! I’m normally a huge Josh fan and appreciate his reviews but not this one. Wish I hadn’t taken the time to read it which is something I’ve never said about his posts in the past.

Oh, he didn’t seem like a fan to you? :upsidedow
I like to read both positive and negative opinions. I take everything with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I ended up switching from LM AoA to Dolphin. The all in costs was exactly the same, but now I can just walk.

Yeah, I've been on multiple gondolas in 90+ weather, ones that had signifcantlly less ventilation and tinting and I've never had an issue with the temperature.

I stopped reading that article after the first paragraph. I'm perfectly fine with people having negative opinions towards something WDW related (I have some negative opinions of my own)...but what I read in that first paragraph was just uneducated pessimism. That whole part about travel taking the same or longer than a bus was so disingenuous. Sure, with no lines, no waiting for a bus and no traffic a bus may be quicker but when do any of those things ever happen at Disney World? Gondolas are a tried and true method of mass transportation that works well because it doesn't have those negative aspects a bus system has.

Yeah, I've been on multiple gondolas in 90+ weather, ones that had signifcantlly less ventilation and tinting and I've never had an issue with the temperature.
Temperature comfort is totally subjective though. I have seen comments from people saying they are looking forward to the gondolas because the buses are too cold. Personally I have never been on a bus that is too cold. You may be very comfortable when the temps are 85-90, and my comfortable temps may be 70-75. No two people are going to feel the same level of comfort no matter what the actual temperature is. I am looking forward to finding out some factual information regarding the actual temperatures in the gondolas so I can determine for myself whether I will be comfortable riding them. I am hoping to at least be able to ride them in the winter. I hope they do at least soft open in August and we can get some feedback.

I stopped reading that article after the first paragraph. I'm perfectly fine with people having negative opinions towards something WDW related (I have some negative opinions of my own)...but what I read in that first paragraph was just uneducated pessimism. That whole part about travel taking the same or longer than a bus was so disingenuous. Sure, with no lines, no waiting for a bus and no traffic a bus may be quicker but when do any of those things ever happen at Disney World? Gondolas are a tried and true method of mass transportation that works well because it doesn't have those negative aspects a bus system has.

Actually, I’ve always had excellent bus experiences at AofA and Pop. I check bus arrival times as I’m getting ready to leave my room so I know how quick I need to be if I want to catch a particular bus. Other then stop lights, bus traffic is generally a non issue.

Although one thing that slows the bus trips down is the unloading/loading of ECV’s. You may be more likely to get to Epcot faster by Gondola at these times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter