• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I hope they open it before Rise of the Resistance opens. We are staying at the Beach Club December 10th-December 14th and would love to use these for DHS. We would ride them from DHS to CB and return in order to experience them, but we would like to use them for transportation if we could.

Having ridden Living With The Land or It's A Small World you may recall how CMs vary the speed of the boats through the boarding and alighting areas. A similar technique can be used to better handle wheelchair guests, including moving some gondolas a little faster here and there under manual control so other gondolas can come to a complete stop somewhere.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority peoplemover exemplifies unsupervised automatic slowing down at a station and picking up speed when leaving, although CMs can do a manual stop in an emergency.

Further improvement is had if wheelchair guests remained facing the side wall or the doors rather than turning up to 90 degrees after entering and having to turn again to exit..

With the exception of Riviera, none of that is necessary since the stations have a second loop designed specifically for wheelchair and ECV loading where the cars can be brought to a stop.

Having ridden Living With The Land or It's A Small World you may recall how CMs vary the speed of the boats through the boarding and alighting areas. A similar technique can be used to better handle wheelchair guests, including moving some gondolas a little faster here and there under manual control so other gondolas can come to a complete stop somewhere.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority peoplemover exemplifies unsupervised automatic slowing down at a station and picking up speed when leaving, although CMs can do a manual stop in an emergency.

Further improvement is had if wheelchair guests remained facing the side wall or the doors rather than turning up to 90 degrees after entering and having to turn again to exit..
As @DanBoris mentioned, this is not how the Skyliner gondolas will work at WDW with the exception of the Riviera Station. If you go back a few pages, look for a video by Passporter to the Parks discussing some of the walls being removed around the Pop/AoA station. This video clearly shows the secondary loops that are installed for wheelchairs and ECVs.

Man... why not soft-open everything but the Epcot leg and then open that on Sept 29? Do we think they still could?

I'm going to coincidentally be there opening week though! So that's kind of exciting.

Welp, I thought for sure they'd be open for my AoA stay in late August when I booked it 6 months ago. Thinking about switching to AS now to save $50.

Disney will continue to get sponsorships. No way they can go back now. Everything is sponsored.
Of course Disney has relied on sponsors for a long time. It was an integral part of the financing of DisneyLand back in 1955 and continues to be so now.
Well that's late...
Wondering if there is some wiggle room in terms of actual operation. The story says it will "officially" open for guests then. Perhaps a long soft-opening period?

It would be nice if they do have soft openings, but we're there from 9/21 through 10/3 so we'll get to experience it either way.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter