Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I'm sure other people will disagree, but I am confident that every issue discussed in this thread was discussed in detail between Disney and Doppelmayr before the contract was signed.

Think of it this way: Would the bean counters at Disney sign off on any major project without researching every potential problem?

This also isn't Doppelmayr's first rodeo. They've literally installed over 15,000 ropeway systems in a wide variety of climates. Some of their lines are hundreds of feet in the air and cross foreboding terrain. And they have also installed lines in urban areas that must meet stringent regulations in terms of access for wheelchairs and things like ECVs.

I think that the description given by DanBoris is a pipe dream.

To recap you have to be able to imagine an analog clock going backwards (or scroll up a few replies to see the diagrams).

With car A exiting onto the handicapped loop onto the 12 o'clock position immediately stopping there to unload, car D comes along, wishes to enter the handicapped loop also and has to stop on the main line until A has finished unloading and vacates the 12 o'clock position ..

Instead it would be better for B to have gone as far as it could, possibly to the 7 o'clock position to unload while A also went as far as it could, possibly to the 8 o'clock position leaving room for D and perhaps others to wait in the 9, 10, 11, and 12'o'clock positions. Cars could unload in any position but probably not in the 10, 11, and 12 o'clock positions to avoid backing up the main line if someone was slow to disembark. Cars should load only in the 7 and 8 o'clock positions to minimize confusion of where to wait on the platform to board. Some cars would be sent out empty if too much of a backlog occurred so a slow boarding rider does not exacerbate a backup too much..

What I drew is not a pipe dream, it's what is happening the video. D does not come along immediately, what I don't show in the drawing is the interventing cars. A enters the loop, and then a bunch of cars pass by the loop, and then D comes along and enters the loop after A has unloaded.

I'm sure other people will disagree, but I am confident that every issue discussed in this thread was discussed in detail between Disney and Doppelmayr before the contract was signed.

Think of it this way: Would the bean counters at Disney sign off on any major project without researching every potential problem?

They signed off on a land, Toy Story Land, that had insufficient shade.

I think it’s just walkways and such.
Maybe they closed off the entire area so they could get a lot done in a short time.

One thing curious, though: that big "DANGER: NO ACCESS" sign. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that.

Maybe they closed off the entire area so they could get a lot done in a short time.

One thing curious, though: that big "No Access" sign. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that.
That sign wasn’t anything out of the ordinary in my eyes. The area is closed to access right now and is likely deemed a construction zone.

What I drew is not a pipe dream, it's what is happening the video. D does not come along immediately, what I don't show in the drawing is the interventing cars. A enters the loop, and then a bunch of cars pass by the loop, and then D comes along and enters the loop after A has unloaded.
I think it’s much simpler than that.
I think they will always have 2 or 3 cabins available in the second loop ready to load a wheelchair/ECV. Once loaded they will direct another cabin into the second loop allowing the loaded cabin to join the main line

This also isn't Doppelmayr's first rodeo. They've literally installed over 15,000 ropeway systems in a wide variety of climates. Some of their lines are hundreds of feet in the air and cross foreboding terrain. And they have also installed lines in urban areas that must meet stringent regulations in terms of access for wheelchairs and things like ECVs.
Wait...you think that a multi billion dollar company hired an extremely experienced ropeway company and that they discussed potential problems before construction??? And may know more than people on a forum?? I don't believe it...

Is there some reason why this cannot be the beginning of work related to building a just-in-case bus loop?

Well, if I am interpreting the video correctly, the work being highlighted would be where I have placed the orange circle - so I don't really see how that could be for a bus loop

My guess is it is to widen/expand the walking paths in that area due to the increased traffic of people coming and going to the Skyliner station (and perhaps some people getting off at that stop and going down to Splyglass Grill as part of their "bucket crawl")

Well, if I am interpreting the video correctly, the work being highlighted would be where I have placed the orange circle - so I don't really see how that could be for a bus loop

My guess is it is to widen/expand the walking paths in that area due to the increased traffic of people coming and going to the Skyliner station (and perhaps some people getting off at that stop and going down to Splyglass Grill as part of their "bucket crawl")

View attachment 412471
I agree. In the passport to the park video a couple days ago you could clearly see survey stakes for a wider path.

After seeing the video from Rob and the overhead picture..maybe a nicely themed "Caribbean" tram loop for the guests on that side of the resort.

one thought I had, in addition to widening the paths, was if they might put in like benches or something as I could see people wanting to hang out there and watch the gondolas go

maybe put in a little stand to sell drinks and themed cupcakes and skyliner merchandise ;)

Yes short but...Rob says he saw a bunch of Imagineers laying it out plus there is a sign for it that says it's part of the Skyliner. And the fencing goes all the way to the road.
I'm sure that many Imagineers are not needed to widen a sidewalk.
But still just a guess on my part...

Yes short but...Rob says he saw a bunch of Imagineers laying it out plus there is a sign for it that says it's part of the Skyliner. And the fencing goes all the way to the road.
I'm sure that many Imagineers are not needed to widen a sidewalk.
But still just a guess on my part...
The imagineers were likely walking through the overall plan. They probably weren’t all working on just this area.

A new pedestrian bridge, or adding a path on the south side of the existing bridge, would reduce the number of Guests crossing the road. There may be no need to fence off the area at the west end, as it's not a Guest area yet.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter