• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

My experience with it is exactly what your are suggesting. However, if you can't do lower deck, the cost seems to go up.
As I said, it's not that you can't do it by air freight, the cost is the issue. Size is a factor in the cost.

Sea freight is the way to go. As long as it's a scheduled shipment. Any number of things can cause delays there as well, but they would have been foolish to not have that scheduled as part of the process.
Of course if they didn't hit their targets, it all goes the window.
I still wouldn't be willing to put those things on a plane from a cost perspective to have them arrive now, with a fall opening time frame. Come September if they weren't here, then I'd be getting a plane involved.
Either way, I'm glad I'm not involved, I really don't enjoy dealing with international shipping of big items.
Yeah, I think we are agreeing. If the real date is Fall then they aren't paying for air. If they were supposed to be earlier they might.

I don't know if I believe they are actually running behind like all the rumors say.

OT: the reason main deck is more is because of how much extra space is in the bottom of commercial aircraft. The proliferation of wide body aircraft has really increased the availability of lower lobe cargo space, driving down prices.

Yeah, I think we are agreeing. If the real date is Fall then they aren't paying for air. If they were supposed to be earlier they might.

The fall date really just doesn't make a lot of sense to me still. Especially if they're starting to get the gondolas on site, I would imagine those should be arriving in a pretty steady stream once the first ones are arriving. Detail work and landscaping around the stations could still take some time, but from where it looks like they are, it just seems like way too long of a time period for them to need to finish.

• The fall date really just doesn't make a lot of sense to me still. Especially if they're starting to get the gondolas on site, I would imagine those should be arriving in a pretty steady stream once the first ones are arriving. Detail work and landscaping around the stations could still take some time, but from where it looks like they are, it just seems like way too long of a time period for them to need to finish.
    I've mentioned before, I don't think the conveyance is the issue. I think it will function well before fall. I think work surrounding the stations is probably the thing holding up the works. Everyone of these stations will have a glut of people that will need to be moved in different directions, and possibly through security etc. There are a lot of things to do to make this work that isn't the skyliner itself.

and it is even worse whenever the topic comes up on Facebook groups. I see tons of posts like "this is such a disaster, what is Disney thinking, they are going to be like sweatboxes and people will pass out. No one will ride these!!!"

and I think to myself "wow, I really hope Disney sees this as I am sure it never occurred to them that it is hot in Orlando and that might be a concern"
"I'm sure Disney knows what they are doing" is not enough reason to ignore the obvious: a gondola without AC is hot in the summer. Look at the gondola system in Spokane, Washington: it's website clearly states that when the temperature gets up, they shut the system down until "the cabins cool off". The only thing is, Spokane get hot maybe 20 days out of the year, whereas Orlando gets hot more like 200 days, and all day long during the summer.

And speaking of Disney knowing what they are doing, tell me why All Star Movies has stopped their renovations? They did half of their preferred rooms and some of their standard rooms. The least they should have done is finish all the preferred rooms rather than doing some standard rooms. That way, at least you can guarantee yourself a refurbished room by booking preferred. The cost of renovating is known from the beginning. It's like the Bible says, a guy builds a house without counting the cost, and he runs out of money half way and becomes a laughing stock. It's not like Disney is a guy who lost his job unexpectedly and can't afford to continue to build his house.

Another thing is, notice that in all the Disney updates of the Skyliner, including the video with Mickey standing in front of a gondola cabin, they never mention the fact that the gondola will not have AC but has natural venting. Why are they so careful to not talk about it? The windows don't open, and clearly visible is one row of tiny slots along the bottom that is the only ventilation available. And you don't have to be an engineer to imagine how much cooling that is going to provide, even if the gondola is going at 20 miles an hour.

What Disney maybe is banking on is that people will get on the gondola even if it's hot, at least most people will. It's new, it's fast, it's exciting and you can see scenery, a little bit of sweating doesn't hurt anybody. My husband works in construction and says that sometimes in the summer, he has to work for hours in somebody's attic where it's over 100 degrees. He hasn't died or anything.

I myself am planning on using the Minnievan when the Skyliner takes out the buses. Somebody's got to spend all that money my husband makes. But I will use the Skyliner at night when the sun's gone. I'm very much looking forward to it. I hope the Skyliner opens in September 2019 when I go, but I fear that they might not open till after October.

I have a personal theory: being that Disney has announced that the Skyliner will open in fall, despite the fact that all evidence points to the gondola being ready much earlier, I think Disney is planning on running the gondola only during the cold season, like from October to April. That will cover the entire busy season of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. I want to write down my theory here so that if I'm right, I can point to it later and show everybody how right I am! (If I'm wrong, I will keep my mouth shut and nobody will remember.):teeth:

I very much hope that I'm wrong on my theory because I only go in September, so if they never open then, I will never get to be on the gondola, and I really want to try it. I live near Spokane and we are cold all year except for a brief time in the summer. If I'm going to Disney World, I want to enjoy the heat and air conditioning!

Another thing is, notice that in all the Disney updates of the Skyliner, including the video with Mickey standing in front of a gondola cabin, they never mention the fact that the gondola will not have AC but has natural venting. Why are they so careful to not talk about it? The windows don't open, and clearly visible is one row of tiny slots along the bottom that is the only ventilation available. And you don't have to be an engineer to imagine how much cooling that is going to provide, even if the gondola is going at 20 miles an hour.

There are vents at the top that will provide most of the cooling. I don’t see these being any hotter than standing outside on pavement. You won’t be in them long and when the doors open, the built up heat would disapate. So constant airflow plus disappation every 3-4 minutes will keep them close to the same as the outdoor temp.

"I'm sure Disney knows what they are doing" is not enough reason to ignore the obvious: a gondola without AC is hot in the summer. Look at the gondola system in Spokane, Washington: it's website clearly states that when the temperature gets up, they shut the system down until "the cabins cool off". The only thing is, Spokane get hot maybe 20 days out of the year, whereas Orlando gets hot more like 200 days, and all day long during the summer.

my point was more I am sure Disney has thought of all of this potential concerns ... now maybe they decided that it will get warm in there on hot days and they are fine with that. But the idea that Disney hasn't even considered the fact that it gets hot in Orlando is the point I disagree with (that some are making)

And do the ones in Spokane have reflective coating on them? Do they have the slots that will provide passive air flow? How long is the ride between stations? Might not be apples to apples

I am sure it wont' always be super comfortable - but neither is sitting on a bench waiting for a bus. But the idea these will need to shut down for hours ever day or that it will be too hot that 99% of people will refuse to ride (all of which I have seen suggested) I just don't see that happening / Disney willing to invest millions of $ if that is a possibility

Look at the gondola system in Spokane, Washington: it's website clearly states that when the temperature gets up, they shut the system down until "the cabins cool off".
The Spokane SkyRide is a pulsed system. The cabins move out of the station in a closely spaced group, then stop several times while another group of cabins is loaded. It's something like the way a traditional Ferris wheel operates: rotating a short distance, then stopping for several minutes while gondolas are loaded at the bottom of the wheel. Therefore, the cabins on the SkyRide spend about as much time sitting still and absorbing heat as they do moving.

The cabins on the Disney SkyLiner will constantly be in motion, and at a much higher speed than the Spokane SkyRide.
The windows don't open, and clearly visible is one row of tiny slots along the bottom that is the only ventilation available.
The windows on the end (in the direction of motion) do tilt open. I think there are also vents at the top to exhaust rising warm air.

Last edited:
Honest to gosh I haven't intently investigated just exactly what model Disney ordered.

But what I will say is I'm sure places gets things to fit their climate. It is entirely possible that in Spokane they didn't order gondolas that can handle heat well especially with how they operate.

I'm not saying your concerns aren't valid, I get it. But truly it would make zero sense for Disney to order gondolas that are like Spokane's not only from air ventilation but consideration for the sun's rays getting into the cabin, and how they will operate. According to their site the SkyRide (if that's what you're referring to): "The elderly, infants, and those with medical conditions should use extreme caution during hot days. Additionally, the SkyRide may be closed during high winds or temperatures over 90 degrees. It is recommended in the summer to make the SkyRide an early activity as it often gets warm and the attraction closes for several hours until the cabins cool down"

Can you really imagine Disney purchasing something that cannot handle temps or at least some sort of winds? Can you really imagine Disney purchasing something that has to close for several hours for the explicit purposes of cooling down the cabins?

The Spokane SkyRide is a pulsed system. The cabins move out of the station in a closely spaced group, then stop several times while another group of cabins is loaded. It's something like the way a traditional Ferris wheel operates: rotating a short distance, then stopping for several minutes while gondolas are loaded at the bottom of the wheel. Therefore, the cabins on the SkyRide spend about as much time sitting still and absorbing heat as they do moving.

The cabins on the Disney SkyLiner will constantly be in motion, and at a much higher speed than the Spokane SkyRide.

The windows on the end (in the direction of motion) do tilt open. I think there are also vents at the top to exhaust rising warm air.

Well, Sounds about right, Washington is famous for apples, and Florida for oranges.....pirate:

And speaking of Disney knowing what they are doing, tell me why All Star Movies has stopped their renovations? They did half of their preferred rooms and some of their standard rooms. The least they should have done is finish all the preferred rooms rather than doing some standard rooms. That way, at least you can guarantee yourself a refurbished room by booking preferred. The cost of renovating is known from the beginning. It's like the Bible says, a guy builds a house without counting the cost, and he runs out of money half way and becomes a laughing stock. It's not like Disney is a guy who lost his job unexpectedly and can't afford to continue to build his house.

What Disney maybe is banking on is that people will get on the gondola even if it's hot, at least most people will. It's new, it's fast, it's exciting and you can see scenery, a little bit of sweating doesn't hurt anybody. My husband works in construction and says that sometimes in the summer, he has to work for hours in somebody's attic where it's over 100 degrees. He hasn't died or anything.

I myself am planning on using the Minnievan when the Skyliner takes out the buses. Somebody's got to spend all that money my husband makes. But I will use the Skyliner at night when the sun's gone. I'm very much looking forward to it. I hope the Skyliner opens in September 2019 when I go, but I fear that they might not open till after October.

I have a personal theory: being that Disney has announced that the Skyliner will open in fall, despite the fact that all evidence points to the gondola being ready much earlier, I think Disney is planning on running the gondola only during the cold season, like from October to April. That will cover the entire busy season of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. I want to write down my theory here so that if I'm right, I can point to it later and show everybody how right I am! (If I'm wrong, I will keep my mouth shut and nobody will remember.):teeth:

I very much hope that I'm wrong on my theory because I only go in September, so if they never open then, I will never get to be on the gondola, and I really want to try it. I live near Spokane and we are cold all year except for a brief time in the summer. If I'm going to Disney World, I want to enjoy the heat and air conditioning!

A/C has been discussed a lot on this and other boards. I have seen posts from people who have ridden gondolas in climates as bad if not worse then Disney and they have said there are comfortable. I have also seen quotes from another gondola manufacturer who says they can keep there gondolas within a few degrees of outside temperature with just passive ventilation. If even it's a few degrees warmer it still going to be more comfortable then walking around in the parks all day under the blazing sun.

Disney is not going to spend all this money to put in a system that can only be run a couple months out of the year.

I would have never guessed how many times the A/C thing would have been brought up since the skyliner project was discovered.
At this point, I think Disney is missing the boat on a up sell. Portable air conditioner rentals for your skyliner trip. Only $59, and includes a souvenir cupcake.

I would have never guessed how many times the A/C thing would have been brought up since the skyliner project was discovered.
At this point, I think Disney is missing the boat on a up sell. Portable air conditioner rentals for your skyliner trip. Only $59, and includes a souvenir cupcake.
Doh..you're giving them ideas :P:D

People keep talking AC and I'm more worried about DC. As in lightning. Will these be able to run during the standard daily thunderstorms. If they have to evacuate the entire system every time there is a rumble of thunder in the greater Orlando area that's going to be a bummer.

The gondola system I went on in Hong Kong had different types of cars - some had glass floors and cost more ... they could add A/C to only some cars and have a fee to use those cars ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter