• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I was just coming to post that there was a gondola hanging in the HS station when we left the park yesterday

(ETA) I gotta add, y'all are speculating on some of the funniest things about these vehicles and this system in general. I get that a lot of what message boards are about is discussing and speculating but wow, this thread has to take that to the nth degree. Nothing more, just an observation about this topic. It's bringing more speculation than a new ride! Just wonder why really. Why not wait to find out when they are closer to operation? Wouldn't a lot of this be answered then, and not left to guessing? (like what will be wrapped and how, weight, capacity, etc)
Or is it just fun to toss out guesses and see if you are right?

People like talking about things they are excited about.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Not just THIS thread or THIS site but the Gondolas period. They are garnering more talk than ANY thing right now, even a new ride
Yes. I'm expecting to be cooked in the gondolas in the summer, frozen stiff in them in the winter, for them to fly off in high winds, get hit by lightning routinely, for them to fall into bodies of water where folks will be gator food, for the entire thing to come to a grinding halt every time an ECV needs to get on, etc.

And I'm sure I've missed a few things... :D

Yes. I'm expecting to be cooked in the gondolas in the summer, frozen stiff in them in the winter, for them to fly off in high winds, get hit by lightning routinely, for them to fall into bodies of water where folks will be gator food, for the entire thing to come to a grinding halt every time an ECV needs to get on, etc.

LOL, Yeah, I've picked up on just how many negatives these have brought out. Cracks me up when some of it is based on pure guesses rather than facts. I am thinking that some of these folks would have enjoyed the Chicken Little meet and greet we passed at MK Sunday.

Plus that no one will ride them due to all of the things you cite, yet despite that the increased crowds to the International Gateway entrance to EPCOT will make entering there a disaster and totally ruin the value of staying at a Boardwalk resort

I was just coming to post that there was a gondola hanging in the HS station when we left the park yesterday

(ETA) I gotta add, y'all are speculating on some of the funniest things about these vehicles and this system in general. I get that a lot of what message boards are about is discussing and speculating but wow, this thread has to take that to the nth degree. Nothing more, just an observation about this topic. It's bringing more speculation than a new ride! Just wonder why really. Why not wait to find out when they are closer to operation? Wouldn't a lot of this be answered then, and not left to guessing? (like what will be wrapped and how, weight, capacity, etc)
Or is it just fun to toss out guesses and see if you are right?

I think it is just something so new and a new form of transportation that people in general aren't familiar with and people are interesting in discussing it - and while there is a lot of negative thoughts, I think a lot of us are also really excited about it!

I do think a lot of it is many people reposting the same concerns and then others replaying back the same arguments against those concerns (so it might look like more that what it really is)

I do find it a bit funny that it seems like some people just know how they will work and that they will be a complete failure as if Disney hasn't already considered all of these concerns and determined that it will be a success before investing millions and millions of $ into the system

last thing, there was an entire subforum created just for Galaxy's Edge discussions so I think there is more speculating and chatter about that than the gondolas

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Not just THIS thread or THIS site but the Gondolas period. They are garnering more talk than ANY thing right now, even a new ride
Well it practically IS a ride, right? I'm super excited about it and think it will be a great way to get from Point A to Point B. The technology has been around for decades and has safely transported people for as long.

Will the Skyliners opening require that the Riviera be completed or will it just move through the Riviera station without stopping until the Riviera is open to guests?

Will the Skyliners opening require that the Riviera be completed or will it just move through the Riviera station without stopping until the Riviera is open to guests?
No official word on it, but it's been speculated that either is an option. Most think the skyliner will be online prior to Riviera and will function prior to Riviera's opening.

The doors can be set not open as the cabins move through the station.

The station is a bit away from the hotel, so continuing interior work wouldn't affect it. I think just the ground work near the station would need to be complete, and that appears to be nearing completion already.

People acting like the Skyliners will be the only mode of transportation lol you still have buses, mono and your own car. I dont think adding a new mode of transportation will affect the crowds at entrances. If anything its going to help disperse the crowds a bit more and MIGHT make some of the buses feel less packed. And come on guys....Lets not pretend we know more than the engineers who have spent years planning this.

People acting like the Skyliners will be the only mode of transportation lol you still have buses, mono and your own car. I dont think adding a new mode of transportation will affect the crowds at entrances. If anything its going to help disperse the crowds a bit more and MIGHT make some of the buses feel less packed. And come on guys....Lets not pretend we know more than the engineers who have spent years planning this.

For what it's worth, it will likely be a situation where Skyliner replaces buses to/from Epcot and DHS for CBR, AoA, and Pop, similar to how there's no MK or Epcot buses from Monorail resorts, only Monorail/Ferry. And many on-site guests fly in and don't rent cars.

Still, between the continuous loading nature and ECV/Wheelchair/Stroller accommodation, there's something for everyone to like with the Skyliner. It's an all-around better option than the buses it will likely replace (except maybe for the acrophobes).

From these resorts it will be one of the only modes of transportation. The monorail does not service the resorts that the skyliner is going too. Not everyone drives a car to WDW either. They will still have buses to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom from these resorts but it is expected that buses will either be limited or gone altogether for service to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

I would guess Air freight isn't practical due to the height. In my experience shipping race cars via air freight, the cars are approaching the upper limit for height restrictions. I don't think they need to rush them anyway. It's not that they can't fit, but the height needed would severely restrict the options for air freight, and drive up the cost.
It's just over a 2 week journey by sea freight, and another week in Customs hold. If they were in a race to get this thing online, there is still enough groundwork left, that shipping the cabins by sea now would still hit the mark, as there is still at least a month of work left on all the stations.
The size isn't that big of deal for air freight. If they were going air freight it'd likely be via an Antonov that would have no issue with the height. But even a 747 could handle them just fine.

Were you trying to ship your cars in the lower lobe? A race car shouldn't be an issue for any wide body freighter. Even a 767 can carry military Humvees on the main deck. I've seen full size sedans in the lower lobes of 747s.

My point on the timing though was this. People were saying the Fall date was due to a delay with the gondolas. If the gondolas were actually the long pole you could remove weeks of travel time via air freight vs ship (the ship would be two weeks at sea, but unless you are chartering a ship there would be wait time at the port plus travel to and from the port). So if the gondolas were actually the long pole and the penalty for being late was high enough they would air freight them to stop adding penalty.

If they put them on a ship it is either because they aren't late, or the cost of being late is less than the cost of air freight.

I do agree if they are all on their way now, they probably aren't the long pole and there wouldn't be a reason to air freight them. But that'd also mean they weren't the hold up.

and it is even worse whenever the topic comes up on Facebook groups. I see tons of posts like "this is such a disaster, what is Disney thinking, they are going to be like sweatboxes and people will pass out. No one will ride these!!!"

and I think to myself "wow, I really hope Disney sees this as I am sure it never occurred to them that it is hot in Orlando and that might be a concern"

The size isn't that big of deal for air freight. If they were going air freight it'd likely be via an Antonov that would have no issue with the height. But even a 747 could handle them just fine.

Were you trying to ship your cars in the lower lobe? A race car shouldn't be an issue for any wide body freighter. Even a 767 can carry military Humvees on the main deck. I've seen full size sedans in the lower lobes of 747s.

My point on the timing though was this. People were saying the Fall date was due to a delay with the gondolas. If the gondolas were actually the long pole you could remove weeks of travel time via air freight vs ship (the ship would be two weeks at sea, but unless you are chartering a ship there would be wait time at the port plus travel to and from the port). So if the gondolas were actually the long pole and the penalty for being late was high enough they would air freight them to stop adding penalty.

If they put them on a ship it is either because they aren't late, or the cost of being late is less than the cost of air freight.

I do agree if they are all on their way now, they probably aren't the long pole and there wouldn't be a reason to air freight them. But that'd also mean they weren't the hold up.

My experience with it is exactly what your are suggesting. However, if you can't do lower deck, the cost seems to go up.
As I said, it's not that you can't do it by air freight, the cost is the issue. Size is a factor in the cost.

Sea freight is the way to go. As long as it's a scheduled shipment. Any number of things can cause delays there as well, but they would have been foolish to not have that scheduled as part of the process.
Of course if they didn't hit their targets, it all goes the window.
I still wouldn't be willing to put those things on a plane from a cost perspective to have them arrive now, with a fall opening time frame. Come September if they weren't here, then I'd be getting a plane involved.
Either way, I'm glad I'm not involved, I really don't enjoy dealing with international shipping of big items.

There have been far too many predictions of total ruination. Nothing will totally ruin the value of staying at a BoardWalk resort, and surely not the gondola. Let's please revisit this three years from now and see if people staying at the BoardWalk resort agree that their stays were worthless.

When did this thread become a way to throw shade towards other posters? I thought this was supposed to be an informational thread.
When people decided to treat it as a thread to pronounce the pending death of WDW because they put in a new mode of transportation that the posters don't *think* they like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter