Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

This actually isn't true, the London system has AC although it has been reported it doesn't work well. Cars could definitely have enough power for fans if they wanted to.
That's what I mean. Any AC would be a joke because there's no way to power it properly. Like with rechargeable batteries or something. Imagine powering AC with batteries. Ugh.
I checked the London gondolas. It isn't going so good. Runs at 10% capacity. It charges about US$6 per adult and half that for kids, So a 2 adult, 2 kid family costs about $20 per trip, one way, to go half a mile, according to Wikipedia. And the half mile (1 km) takes 10 minutes, but they can hurry it up to 5 minutes during rush hour. And this thing is built by Dopplemayr also, same company. The zigzag route from Pop to Epcot is at least 2 miles, so that'll take at least 20 minutes, assuming no transfers required. Currently, the bus trip to Epcot is 10 minutes, not counting waiting time. (I timed it.) As far as I'm concerned, this is a big downgrade in terms of efficiency. But going to HS might be tolerable.
The boats have terrible air conditioning also, and I avoid them except for early morning and evenings. The gondola is much worse than the boat for the heat factor. But people are putting up with the boats just fine, it's true. So maybe they will be all happy with the hot gondola also. I don't know, I am dying to see people in a gondola in Florida's hot sun. I'm not mean, I'm just curious!

I checked the London gondolas. It isn't going so good. Runs at 10% capacity. It charges about US$6 per adult and half that for kids, So a 2 adult, 2 kid family costs about $20 per trip, one way, to go half a mile, according to Wikipedia. And the half mile (1 km) takes 10 minutes, but they can hurry it up to 5 minutes during rush hour. And this thing is built by Dopplemayr also, same company. The zigzag route from Pop to Epcot is at least 2 miles, so that'll take at least 20 minutes, assuming no transfers required. Currently, the bus trip to Epcot is 10 minutes, not counting waiting time. (I timed it.) As far as I'm concerned, this is a big downgrade in terms of efficiency. But going to HS might be tolerable.

You can't apply the London travel rate here- different models.

Reliable sources have projected that the gondolas will travel between 12 and 16 miles per hour.

So, at 12 mph (~5 min mile) , the "2 mile" trip would likely take 10 minutes. At the low end, it is a wash. It has been projected that each leg of the trip (remember, there are 3 seperate legs) should be around 3 min for the two shorter legs and up to 10 min for the longest leg.

(Copied from another board) At 12 mph that would be about 3 minutes for each leg of the trip, so Epcot to DHS would be about 9 minutes travel time plus the time it takes to change cars at the south CBR station. (/copy)

That's what I mean. Any AC would be a joke because there's no way to power it properly. Like with rechargeable batteries or something. Imagine powering AC with batteries. Ugh.
I checked the London gondolas. It isn't going so good. Runs at 10% capacity. It charges about US$6 per adult and half that for kids, So a 2 adult, 2 kid family costs about $20 per trip, one way, to go half a mile, according to Wikipedia.
From what I've read, the low ridership of the Emirates Airline is primarily because it's not integrated into London's transit system. The stations are several blocks' from other transit modes, it's not included in their transit fare structure, and there are more convenient ways to get across the Thames. That's clearly not a factor at WDW, where the stations will be located right at the trips' origins and destinations.

The boats have terrible air conditioning also, and I avoid them except for early morning and evenings. The gondola is much worse than the boat for the heat factor. But people are putting up with the boats just fine, it's true. So maybe they will be all happy with the hot gondola also. I don't know, I am dying to see people in a gondola in Florida's hot sun. I'm not mean, I'm just curious!

The London system uses Ultra-Capacitors which can charge very fast, but also discharge quickly, which in theory should work in this application. I have not found any explanation of exactly what the problem is with the AC.

I think you are underestimating the speed of the gondola. I have heard they will probably move around 12 to 15 mph, so each leg should be 5 minutes or less. Even with the slow down at load/unload it should well less then 20 minutes travel time. I think even with the transfers the time to reach your destination will be close to if not better then what it would take by bus or boat. Then there is the purely psychological benefit on the gondola which is that the line to board will be moving continuously instead of with a boat or bus where you may be sitting in one place waiting for 20 minutes for it to arrive.

The London system uses Ultra-Capacitors which can charge very fast, but also discharge quickly, which in theory should work in this application. I have not found any explanation of exactly what the problem is with the AC.

I think you are underestimating the speed of the gondola. I have heard they will probably move around 12 to 15 mph, so each leg should be 5 minutes or less. Even with the slow down at load/unload it should well less then 20 minutes travel time. I think even with the transfers the time to reach your destination will be close to if not better then what it would take by bus or boat. Then there is the purely psychological benefit on the gondola which is that the line to board will be moving continuously instead of with a boat or bus where you may be sitting in one place waiting for 20 minutes for it to arrive.

I will admit to being one of those smitten by the psychological effects of the continuously moving line. The buses never particularly bothered us but the wait for a new one to arrive can be a bummer.

As far as I can find, Disney's own websites do not mention whether the new Skyliner gondola has air conditioning, but all third party websites state that the gondolas will have "air vents with passive cooling." They also claim that once the system is in place, it will replace bus systems to Epcot and Hollywood Studios for the 4 gondola resorts: Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, and the Rivera (being built).

Assuming the above rumors of no air conditioning is correct, and assuming you plan to stay at one of the above resorts, and assuming the prices for the resorts will NOT increase due to the gondolas. So the only thing different is that the A/C buses to EP and HS get replaced with non A/C gondolas. Would you still choose a gondola hotel?

For me, the answer is no. I love Pop Century, but I'm not putting up with no air conditioning when it's 95 out and you are inside a small bubble with 7 other people (all providing body heat) and "air vents with passive cooling." I don't even take the friendship boats from HS to EP except for mornings and evenings, and those have wide open windows with some air conditioning. However, I think the gondolas will be very nice in the evenings after the sun goes down, and I will go to Pop and ride them then!

What do you think? Yes or no?

and assuming the prices for the resorts will NOT increase due to the gondolas.

That's not a good assumption...

So the only thing different is that the A/C buses to EP and HS get replaced with non A/C gondolas. Would you still choose a gondola hotel?

Just want to point out you won't be in a gondola for 20 minutes like you would be a friendship boat. A/C in gondolas is not common.

i really don't care if the gondolas don't have ac (which is probably going to be the case).

a question i have is if the gondolas will be replacing all forms of transportation at the hotels where it will be available. (for EP and HS)

From American Adventure to the bus loop is approximately a mile walk!

Having done many rundisney races I know that route well...lol. It is a great feeling to be close to the end but it is still a good distance left getting all around world showcase and then through future world to finally hit the finish. That is probably also one reason rundisney likes using that stretch too - it is a good long distance inside the parks.

As far as I can find, Disney's own websites do not mention whether the new Skyliner gondola has air conditioning, but all third party websites state that the gondolas will have "air vents with passive cooling." They also claim that once the system is in place, it will replace bus systems to Epcot and Hollywood Studios for the 4 gondola resorts: Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, and the Rivera (being built).

Assuming the above rumors of no air conditioning is correct, and assuming you plan to stay at one of the above resorts, and assuming the prices for the resorts will NOT increase due to the gondolas. So the only thing different is that the A/C buses to EP and HS get replaced with non A/C gondolas. Would you still choose a gondola hotel?

For me, the answer is no. I love Pop Century, but I'm not putting up with no air conditioning when it's 95 out and you are inside a small bubble with 7 other people (all providing body heat) and "air vents with passive cooling." I don't even take the friendship boats from HS to EP except for mornings and evenings, and those have wide open windows with some air conditioning. However, I think the gondolas will be very nice in the evenings after the sun goes down, and I will go to Pop and ride them then!

Neither DH nor I can remember when the last time was that the windows on the Friendship Boats were “wide open” when we rode. Seems like they’ve been closed (sealed shut) and A/C on for some time now, including last August (2017). We’ve been quite comfortable riding at all times of day.

That said, I’m one of the many hoping for A/C on the gondolas but not counting on it. And I agree that prices at Pop, AoA and CBR will increase after the gondolas open, if not in 2019 then in 2020 for sure.

It is hard to judge yet wether the no ac will be an issue or not. Disney knows where these are being built so I'm sure they have a plan to keep things tolerable in the middle of the summer. We're going to have to wait till they get started to know how well it is or isn't going to work in practice. As of today, no it would not stop me from staying at a gondala report. After riding and seeing how it actually works that opinion could change.

First, I fully expect prices to increase - so that would factor in.

As to the no A/C, I think it is more a wait-and-see to how they are in real life. I was in a gondola in Hong Kong that did not have A/C and you got decent air movement from the open vents. I also don’t think it will be the norm to cram each car full to 8 people and the ride segments are more like 5 minutes not 20. Could it be an issue, especially in summer, sure but I think it is hard to say for sure until it is up and running

Found this interesting Feasibility Study done for Miami in 2016.

The consultants say that the limited a/c powered by a rechargeable energy source is limited to a few minutes of operation per trip segment. They recommended that any aerial gondola system built in Miami's climate be limited to 5-6 minutes per segment, taking notice that riders of gondolas in less-developed parts of the word might be more accepting of the heat than would Miamians.

The study also has some interesting comparisons of capacities of existing systems.

ETA: fixed link to report.

Found this interesting Feasibility Study done for Miami in 2016.

The consultants say that the limited a/c powered by a rechargeable energy source is limited to a few minutes of operation per trip segment. They recommended that any aerial gondola system built in Miami's climate be limited to 5-6 minutes per segment, taking notice that riders of gondolas in less-developed parts of the word might be more accepting of the heat than would Miamians.

The study also has some interesting comparisons of capacities of existing systems.
I wonder how accepting a group of guests on an expensive theme park vacation would be. ;)

Maybe Disney could put a big a/c unit in each terminal station, with a big hose that blasts cold air into the open doors of each cabin as it passes by between unload and load. :)

I'm thinking something like the dryers in a car wash, but blowing chilled air sideways. (Pandemonium would ensue if a hose ever broke loose.)

For anyone interested in the technical details, this 5-minute backstage tour explains how the cabins travel through the station, and how the system is powered, including backup systems. The video shows a detachable chairlift, but it's all the same technology. This is 4 years old, so the technology likely has advanced some since.

OK - but what I was trying to get across is that likely travel times between the gondola and the friendship boats are going to be pretty similar. There's enough variables there to make it hard to predict which will be faster. However, the gondola will likely be a bit of a draw for folks going park-to-park if there aren't lines.

The big question mark to me is how do they handle (a) people that won't ride the gondola due to fear of heights and (b) weather related shutdowns. They will certainly want to reduce/eliminate completely the buses going to these resorts. If they still have to run buses they won't be happy. But not everyone will be willing to ride them. If they even run half the buses - are people going to tolerate waiting 45 minutes for a bus if they refuse to use the gondola?

Yep. No way I’m riding that over a river with gators and snakes. I’d walk first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter