Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Curious that many of the posts here deal with a fatal flaw in this installation. Be it bad weather, heat, capacity, physical access or otherwise. Apparently we all see issues that Disney didn't consider.

This exactly. If we can sit here on a message board and consider these issues, then Disney already has. I am sure they've found a way to keeep the cabins cool for instance, if not via ac they will have some reflective outer service that will absorb the heat and keep the cabins cool enough. They aren't going to bake guests in 130 degree glass box.

I don’t think they will remove buses completely. Have them normally on a less frequent schedule then now so in case of issues they can send more buses over. Not complicated.
Nope. Those in the know have said no buses. They are not spending nine figures on a new transportation system and keeping the old one. Now if for some reason the system goes down for an extended period of time, they probably will pull buses into service. However, they will not be running buses any other time.

Curious about the bus issue. Sure they can have a back up fleet of buses in case the skyliner goes down. But they would also need to have drivers standing by. Otherwise it will be a long wait for those needing transport.

Also, they still need the bus stops at the resorts since guests will need them to go to the MK, DS & DAK.

Nope. Those in the know have said no buses. They are not spending nine figures on a new transportation system and keeping the old one. Now if for some reason the system goes down for an extended period of time, they probably will pull buses into service. However, they will not be running buses any other time.

Again, been discussed a bunch on here - but they will have guests that will be afraid to ride the gondola and they will have to be able to respond to that. It will be a small percentage, but it will exist. I think that's why people assume they will still have buses, but it is possible they will come up with some other solution.

Again, been discussed a bunch on here - but they will have guests that will be afraid to ride the gondola and they will have to be able to respond to that. It will be a small percentage, but it will exist. I think that's why people assume they will still have buses, but it is possible they will come up with some other solution.
Guests at FtW who can't or won't ride the boats to MK are directed to take a bus from the campground to WL and transfer there to a bus to MK. It can take up to 3 bus rides, but it gets 'em there.

Similarly, Disney could offer a bus every 20 minutes to DHS (the closer park), where Guests could transfer to the bus to Epcot. If loads are light enough, Pop & AoA could share a bus, and another route could serve both CBR & Riviera.

Guests at FtW who can't or won't ride the boats to MK are directed to take a bus from the campground to WL and transfer there to a bus to MK. It can take up to 3 bus rides, but it gets 'em there.

Similarly, Disney could offer a bus every 20 minutes to DHS (the closer park), where Guests could transfer to the bus to Epcot. If loads are light enough, Pop & AoA could share a bus, and another route could serve both CBR & Riviera.

Right, this is what I picture is a bus route that is MUCH slower. (Maybe one bus goes between all 4 resorts and DHS and a second to Epcot, but much, much less busing. I doubt they do something like "You have to go to MK to transfer to Epcot." though.

Curious about the bus issue. Sure they can have a back up fleet of buses in case the skyliner goes down. But they would also need to have drivers standing by. Otherwise it will be a long wait for those needing transport.
As a retired driver, I can tell you that Disney hates having drivers standing by. When weather or something else causes the monorails or boats to go down, buses with drivers are shifted from other routes, and everybody waits longer.

When weather or something else causes the monorails or boats to go down, buses with drivers are shifted from other routes, and everybody waits longer.

Yeah, my family has been in that situation. Had a lightning storm straight out of the Apocalypse descend down up on us at DHS several years back. Was leaving the park and was going to be taking the boat to Yacht club when the first bolt came out of the sky. They shut the boats down (as they should) but our family and about 25 other people were huddled under the boat launch at DHS as bolt after bolt hit very close. NWIH were we going to try and get over to the bus lines. After about 45 minutes a few thought it was worth the run....they got about halfway to the bus stops and I don't know what the lightning hit, but I think there were shorts that needed to be cleaned by guest services before all was said and done. Anyway, when it was finally safe, we went to get on a bus and that was the wrong thing to do. Waited there about an hour before we just hoofed it all the way to the YC. When the boats don't run, it isn't pretty. That's the thing, most of the time when the gondola's will be shut down, so will the boats.

As a retired driver, I can tell you that Disney hates having drivers standing by. When weather or something else causes the monorails or boats to go down, buses with drivers are shifted from other routes, and everybody waits longer.

That is exactly what I would expect.

Yeah, my family has been in that situation. Had a lightning storm straight out of the Apocalypse descend down up on us at DHS several years back. Was leaving the park and was going to be taking the boat to Yacht club when the first bolt came out of the sky. They shut the boats down (as they should) but our family and about 25 other people were huddled under the boat launch at DHS as bolt after bolt hit very close. NWIH were we going to try and get over to the bus lines. After about 45 minutes a few thought it was worth the run....they got about halfway to the bus stops and I don't know what the lightning hit, but I think there were shorts that needed to be cleaned by guest services before all was said and done. Anyway, when it was finally safe, we went to get on a bus and that was the wrong thing to do. Waited there about an hour before we just hoofed it all the way to the YC. When the boats don't run, it isn't pretty. That's the thing, most of the time when the gondola's will be shut down, so will the boats.

Yeah - the good thing in Florida is most of the time these storms move through fast, but can go on for an hour. I know folks have said they can run the gondolas in storms, but I would expect during SEVERE lightning in the area they will not run them. We always watch for what we call the "cooling breeze". Right before these storms coming through - temperatures drop about 20 degrees and a breeze comes through. We usually head in somewhere when we feel that coming - so have rarely been stuck anywhere during a storm.

Yeah - the good thing in Florida is most of the time these storms move through fast, but can go on for an hour. I know folks have said they can run the gondolas in storms, but I would expect during SEVERE lightning in the area they will not run them. We always watch for what we call the "cooling breeze". Right before these storms coming through - temperatures drop about 20 degrees and a breeze comes through. We usually head in somewhere when we feel that coming - so have rarely been stuck anywhere during a storm.

Yeah, with three kids and a wife, it wasn't a great scenario to be in. But, believe me my kids all respect lightning ever since. Boys and I golf and we head for the 19th hole anytime any hint of a storm.

No A/C is very confirmed, simply because there's no way to power A/C on a gondola, (or even a fan), not because they don't want to. It is my greatest question. The gondola will be the only Disney Transportation without A/C. How will people be able to stand it in hot Florida? However, I do believe that during evenings and cool days without sun, the gondola will be a cool ride. I will handle the "gondola replacing the buses" concept with something called the Minnievan, while enjoying the gondola when the temperature allows it and there is not a big crowd. I come from Hong Kong. I rode the gondola there once when I was a kid, during winter but the sun was shining. It was like being in a car with the windows up, the sun shining, and no A/C. It was the most suffocating feeling ever.

My other question is, if Pop and Aof A are connected to the system, doesn't that mean CBR is going to get full gondolas when they try to go anywhere? But perhaps they can have their own supply of empty gondolas that join the line.

I am extremely interested to see how the gondola will work out for Disney. I think it will be done in 2019, same as Star Wars Land? Next year will be super exciting.

The gondolas are not the only form of Disney Transportation without AC. The boats do not have AC, and people survive quite fine. The gondolas will have vents for airflow, and may have a fan. So for the 10-15 minutes you are on it, you should be fine.

A point to consider is the line will be continually moving in the Skyliner system. People can wait for large crowds as the line is active.When you stand and wait, time drags on. That simple idea made Disneyland waits bearable before fast pass. Now waits for attractions involve standing in place, not good. So keep in mind the wait outside the IG after Illuminations will be active. Ski resorts with gondolas are my point of reference. Waiting in those lines are active, which makes the wait bearable.
Most people will also have a shorter walk after the fireworks too, so probably less walking time, less waiting time and an active line. I think it will be a lot better than buses.

There is something genuinely miserable about walking to the bus after illuminations, especially if you are deep into the world showcase. So much so for us, that it is now a given that we'll exit the IG, and go to one of the resorts and get a taxi/minnie van back to our resort.

While we beat this horse to death prior to the skyliner permits being discovered, I still think a walking exit(not entrance) near Germany, where you could cross to Riviera would a well utilized perk.

There is something genuinely miserable about walking to the bus after illuminations, especially if you are deep into the world showcase. So much so for us, that it is now a given that we'll exit the IG, and go to one of the resorts and get a taxi/minnie van back to our resort.

While we beat this horse to death prior to the skyliner permits being discovered, I still think a walking exit(not entrance) near Germany, where you could cross to Riviera would a well utilized perk.

I agree. It's a long way from the back of the World Showcase to the bus stops. You are just being herded, harried, and jostled the whole way by the people around you. Everyone is tired, kids are cranky, people are rushing because they don't want to be at the end of the line. It's a fairly unpleasant end to a great experience. None of the other parks have this exact issue. The fireworks area is more toward the front and it's a shorter walk, which matters, even if the bus lines are still long. That being said, the Skyliner is a good solution for CBR/Riviera and Pop/AoA guests. Still sucks for the MK resort guests, but crowds may be lighter at least heading that direction, lessening that herd feeling.

So weird that my favorite area for viewing fireworks at any park is the area I least want to be in after they end.

Well, theoretically someone coming from the Poly that wants to go to EPCOT has to take the monorail (and some people have fear of heights and won't use that mode of transportation - or at least would want to avoid it)

And if the do eliminate buses totally I am sure they would be happy to explain to you how to order a Minnie Van :D

From American Adventure to the bus loop is approximately a mile walk!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter