You did not include Deluxe Villas in that count. Total Deluxe is ~10,000.
Deluxe villas are owned by DVC members with a small percentage owned by Disney. I didn't include them because Disney can't just book them for cash reservations. There's a reason why Disney is converting 200 hotels rooms at GF to DVC, why 2 Poly longhouse were converted, and why part of Wilderness Lodge became Copper Creek Villas. It's because Disney can't fill their deluxe resort rooms.

I think some priority should be given to aph and locals (no idea how or if that would work). That would mean those travelling from afar for a once a year or less trip would need to plan well in advance. Does that destroy the magic, spontaneity? Perhaps. But I'd happily forgo sponteneity and plan 2 years in advance for moderate crowds at Chritmas.
I don't think current Disney leadership will prioritize APs over "once in a lifetime" guests due those out of state guests spending way more money than APs do. They're the ones more willing to buy Memory Maker, Genie+/ILLs, merchandise, food, hotels, other extras, etc. I have an AP and so do my parents. My parents are the type of APs that go to Epcot for a few hours, buy 1 drink and maybe ride 1-2 things and then leave. Current Disney management doesn't like APs like my parents.

Not saying it's right or that I agree with it. Just stating why it won't happen any time soon.

Deluxe villas are owned by DVC members with a small percentage owned by Disney. I didn't include them because Disney can't just book them for cash reservations. There's a reason why Disney is converting 200 hotels rooms at GF to DVC, why 2 Poly longhouse were converted, and why part of Wilderness Lodge became Copper Creek Villas. It's because Disney can't fill their deluxe resort rooms.
The more they convert to DVC, the happier we'll be. And yes, you can absolutely book DVC Deluxe Villas as cash rooms. I used to do that for many clients when I was a Disney travel advisor.

I don't think current Disney leadership will prioritize APs over "once in a lifetime" guests due those out of state guests spending way more money than APs do. They're the ones more willing to buy Memory Maker, Genie+/ILLs, merchandise, food, hotels, other extras, etc. I have an AP and so do my parents. My parents are the type of APs that go to Epcot for a few hours, buy 1 drink and maybe ride 1-2 things and then leave. Current Disney management doesn't like APs like my parents.

Not saying it's right or that I agree with it. Just stating why it won't happen any time soon.
I agree. Disney management doesn't feel that Passholders as a group are as profitable as the daily ticket holders. They visit more often, therefore reducing their per-day cost to below the price of the least expensive multi-day ticket. They also tend to purchase less merchandise than the visitor who rarely visits. They tend to dine in the parks and resorts less often than other visitors. That's not speaking to individual passholders but as a group in general.

The more they convert to DVC, the happier we'll be. And yes, you can absolutely book DVC Deluxe Villas as cash rooms. I used to do that for many clients when I was a Disney travel advisor.
They can only be booked for cash IF DVC members do not book them. Disney only has so many ways that they can sell DVC rooms for cash. They cannot take inventory to sell for cash just because they want to.

They can only be booked for cash IF DVC members do not book them. Disney only has so many ways that they can sell DVC rooms for cash. They cannot take inventory to sell for cash just because they want to.
Yes, of course. I know the rules quite well. I would book them many months in advance for clients, so Disney wasn't waiting around to see if a DVC member booked them. Maybe it's the seven month window, I can't recall exactly. Anyway you can argue all you want, but anyone can book a villa if it's available on DisneyWorld.com. Period.

I agree. Disney management doesn't feel that Passholders as a group are as profitable as the daily ticket holders. They visit more often, therefore reducing their per-day cost to below the price of the least expensive multi-day ticket. They also tend to purchase less merchandise than the visitor who rarely visits. They tend to dine in the parks and resorts less often than other visitors. That's not speaking to individual passholders but as a group in general.
I agree. My parents are the exact AP holders you're describing. They don't buy merchandise, they don't dine in the parks or at the resorts and they tend to leave to eat at home as they only live an hour away. On the flipside, I am an out of state AP that stays on property and eats at their dining locations when I am in town. Disney would much rather have an AP like me or other out of state DVC APs than a local. An out of state non AP guest, especially those from outside of the US that stay for 2+ weeks, are the ones they want the most in the parks.

Again, not saying it's right or that I agree. It's just the way management feels.

this is an absolutely horrible idea, the most overpriced rooms in Disney are DVC rooms. I find it ridiculous that all Disney focuses on are DVC buildings its terrible.

Good points. I live abroad and so have never and will never have an annual pass. I admit I have no idea how they work but I do sympathize with those who have purchased them and may not be able to get their money's worth because of reservations not being available. I think aph should be able to at the very least get their money's worth...but not automatically entitled to go as many times and whenever they want to the detriment of those who aren't aph. There has to be a balance there somewhere.

this is an absolutely horrible idea, the most overpriced rooms in Disney are DVC rooms. I find it ridiculous that all Disney focuses on are DVC buildings its terrible.
As DVC owners, we love it. They are presumably following their revenue streams by converting and building DVC, which is sort of how this string all started (Disney should charge more because that will make the parks less crowded and increase their per-guest revenue). Disney is presumably focusing on the high-return high-revenue guests. No public business wants an overabundance of low revenue customers.

Yes, of course. I know the rules quite well. I would book them many months in advance for clients, so Disney wasn't waiting around to see if a DVC member booked them. Maybe it's the seven month window, I can't recall exactly. Anyway you can argue all you want, but anyone can book a villa if it's available on DisneyWorld.com. Period.
Like I said, there are so only so many ways that Disney can offer DVC rooms for cash. Circling back to my original point: There's absolutely no way that they can offer all 5300+, which is why I didn't include them in total number of Deluxe Resort rooms.

Like I said, there are so only so many ways that Disney can offer DVC rooms for cash. Circling back to my original point: There's absolutely no way that they can offer all 5300+, which is why I didn't include them in total number of Deluxe Resort rooms.
I see your point. You're coming at it from what's available for booking as inventory. I'm coming at it from the total room capacity that Disney is putting effort into from a guest-return-revenue perspective.

I see your point. You're coming at it from what's available for booking as inventory. I'm coming at it from the total room capacity that Disney is putting effort into from a guest-return-revenue perspective.
Direct DVC purchases put large sums of money directly into Disney's hands while redirecting operating costs of a resort to the owners. But once that cash cow has been milked, the revenue stream begins to slow.

A lot of DVC owners, especially those who have owned for a while, tend to use their villas kitchens more and buy annual passes more than other guests. We don't spend as much on merch and we expect a discount when we do. With no APs currently being sold, many are making plans to visit less often, book larger villas and go into the parks less frequently (or not at all) in favor of resort days or even resort-only stays.

Other than when we sign on the dotted line and annually when we pay our dues, I don't think we are viewed to be as valuable as the guest who only visits once or twice.

Costs are going to go up, especially after a pandemic that cost everyone from all businesses their bottom line. Most of the threads that I’ve seen about price increases are emotional, and not rational. The simple fact is we have overcrowded this planet and our cities, and everyone thinks they are entitled to everything. More and more people want to come to Disney, and there’s a finite amount of space for them.

I think that people have just gotten more sensitive about "keeping up with the Joneses" or not being able to "keep up" in the last few years. Disney doesn’t know what’s actually cash, and which is just credit card debt. It’s only a $200 deposit to book your Disney World vacation. I'm pretty sure that the majority of visitors aren't scraping funds together, but are just willing to go into more debt. The quality of clientele decreases, and the quantity is increasing. That is not Disney's fault. That’s why they raise prices. There are those take the YOLO attitude and will incur debt in order to do it. As a result, I think the parks became so overcrowded and started to lose that special magical Disney World feeling. Guests do not enjoy scheduling every minuscule detail, feeling squeezed in like sardines(odor definitely part of the ambience), and being herded like cattle.

The reality is that Disney has spent a lot over the years to build new parks, new rides, new places to stay and eat. They’re run by a multi-billion dollar company, not a mom-and-pop run amusement park.Walt Disney World thrives because it has become a fly-to vacation destination just as much as Hawaii or Paris. Disneyland is still locally driven and enjoys the ability to charge vacation destination-like prices like WDW’s because of immense Southern Californian wealth.
They are.

As DVC owners, we love it. They are presumably following their revenue streams by converting and building DVC
IMO that contributes to the identity crisis it feels like Disney has been going on for several years including leading up to the pandemic. Are they primarily a timeshare program? Or an encompassing resort with a side dabbling into DVC? Because it sorta feels like they focus much more on the DVC side as far as building new resorts, turning normal rooms into DVC rooms and the like. They are starting to do refurbs of rooms but that felt very much an afterthought.

We're looking at all-inclusives in Mexico and it's hard to find ones that don't have some sort of membership or straight up time share program they aggressively try to sell you. Sure Disney isn't doing that aggressive sales tactic to normal guests but it feels harder to find where they are putting in the primary focus on just normal everyday resorts and resort rooms.

Direct DVC purchases put large sums of money directly into Disney's hands while redirecting operating costs of a resort to the owners. But once that cash cow has been milked, the revenue stream begins to slow.

A lot of DVC owners, especially those who have owned for a while, tend to use their villas kitchens more and buy annual passes more than other guests. We don't spend as much on merch and we expect a discount when we do. With no APs currently being sold, many are making plans to visit less often, book larger villas and go into the parks less frequently (or not at all) in favor of resort days or even resort-only stays.

Other than when we sign on the dotted line and annually when we pay our dues, I don't think we are viewed to be as valuable as the guest who only visits once or twice.
We are all very different. We are definitely not remotely as you described as a generalization. I am not going to engage the troll any longer. Have a nice day.

We are all very different. We are definitely not remotely as you described as a generalization. I am not going to engage the troll any longer. Have a nice day.
Troll? I though we were having a meaningful discussion. I'm not trying to bait, nor debate you.

wow, original post comes across as very self entitled, I've paid more money therefore I'm entitled to more than you. This is how most of the world works, you pay more you get more, however Disney has always tried to advertise as a destination for every family but their practices do not match their advertising. I'm from across the pond so it was always a expensive holiday option. Disneyland Paris IMO is not affordable or definitely not value for money, which is why I've not been in such a long time.

In reality Disney should build another HUGE amazing theme park to bring the total up to 5 parks, that will help elevated the crowds (half joking, half serious) :rolleyes1

Still, a 'non-popular opinion' is going to stir some discussion on the boards :wizard:

Everything in economics comes down to supply and demand. Everything.

Right now, demand for WDW is high due to pent up Covid demand, massive excess cash in the M2 money supply, and historically low interest rates. Because of this, Disney is able to raise prices and offer less.

So there are two options to ease our burden here: Disney increases supply (more attractions and/or parks) which is impossible short term or the demand decreases.

The latter is happening as we speak due to inflation.

So fear not: deals and smaller crowds are coming soon to a Disney park near you. If you have any excess money to take advantage.

You're assuming everyone is dissatisfied as you. Meanwhile this crowd is most likely the same people who berate CMs and complain to managers about stuff the rest of us just take in stride because we know the world doesn't revolve around us. If every single family in the world could afford to go to Disney, it would be an absolutely miserable experience.

But "what a wonderful world" it COULD be if everyone could afford it--- I dont know... seeing families that normally could not afford to go, being able to go for the first time would make me very happy--- wouldn't be miserable at all--- YMMV-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter