Disney Returning to NYC?

JM_97

DIS Veteran
Taken from Reddit:
To me, it looks like the Treasure will be visiting NYC before heading to Port Canaveral, similar to what the Fantasy did in 2012. A Disney ship is listed from 11/17-11/20, which doesn't make sense if it was doing real cruises. Perhaps for christening, but I also bet Good Morning America will do a show or a feature from the pool deck so Disney can pat themselves on the back.

That seems a little early since the Maiden Voyage isn't until December 21st. Where is it for the month in between? That would be quite a few media VIP cruises before hand.

If so, for media, not for booking by paying guests. Three days parked at a pier. TV cameras, ABC hosts.

It is a long time before the MV, but perhaps they have built in a bigger buffer, so as not to pay off disappointed MV guests. Perhaps they have a flexible contract with the Port Authority.

DCL could use some help in the NYC market (lots of competition from Royal, NCL, Carnival, MSC). Last two sailings we did from Manhattan on the Magic were not even close to full 😢.

Maybe DCL should augment the ABC coverage and invite Fox & Friends aboard o_O?

A CM on a recent cruise told us that Disney didn't like certain "adult establishments" that were right in front of the Cruise Terminal and that's why they stopped sailing out of NYC.

A CM on a recent cruise told us that Disney didn't like certain "adult establishments" that were right in front of the Cruise Terminal and that's why they stopped sailing out of NYC.

Disney stopped sailing out of NYC because they could make more money doing so elsewhere. NYC is a summer seasonal market (Carnival tried year-round service; cruises from NYC outside the peak summer months are currently the line's cheapest, so no surprise it decided to move the ship to PC off peak). After the Treasure and third new build ship are delivered, maybe we'll see the Magic or Wonder do some summer seasonal NYC service.

DCL could use some help in the NYC market (lots of competition from Royal, NCL, Carnival, MSC). Last two sailings we did from Manhattan on the Magic were not even close to full 😢.

They should come to Boston instead. ;-)

They should sail out of the Brooklyn one then. The Red Hook terminal doesn't have that element.

I selfishly wish they would come back here, it's nice taking the subway or a Lyft from my house to the ship instead of a plane! Would love to have Disney as an option among the usual Royal/Celebrity/Princess/MSC.

They should sail out of the Brooklyn one then. The Red Hook terminal doesn't have that element.

I selfishly wish they would come back here, it's nice taking the subway or a Lyft from my house to the ship instead of a plane! Would love to have Disney as an option among the usual Royal/Celebrity/Princess/MSC.
Does Royal still sail from Cape Liberty? I sailed from NYC on Norwegian to Bermuda and before we decided on NCL, we looked at Royal from Cape Liberty.

We did the Dream out of Manhattan this past Halloween and the ship was pretty full. If they sailed in the summer, I'm sure it would be a lot easier to fill than the fall.

Does Royal still sail from Cape Liberty? I sailed from NYC on Norwegian to Bermuda and before we decided on NCL, we looked at Royal from Cape Liberty.
They do, we sailed from Cape Liberty on RC in November and are considering it again in the fall as they are switching ships. We went to Nassau and their private island. They also go to Bermuda and New England /Canada in the fall. We are about 2 hours away and it was super easy for us to drive there.

We did the Dream out of Manhattan this past Halloween and the ship was pretty full. If they sailed in the summer, I'm sure it would be a lot easier to fill than the fall.
I suspect the number of unsold cabins within the industry is small. When specific sailings aren’t swelling well, they’re offered at deep discounts, and given how high prices have gotten since the pandemic, people quickly grab them. Disney is unique in that its deep discounting is generally restricted to its employees (but it’s also small enough that it can do that).

During the peak summer months, it’s gonna be easy for any cruise line to fill up any ship depending anywhere. The question is… where is the anywhere the generates the most money?

I mean, a 10-night cruise on the Magic from PC is selling for $13K for a family of four. And that’s for an interior room. Crazy.

Last edited:
They do, we sailed from Cape Liberty on RC in November and are considering it again in the fall as they are switching ships. We went to Nassau and their private island. They also go to Bermuda and New England /Canada in the fall. We are about 2 hours away and it was super easy for us to drive there.
I live just a couple of hours from Port Canaveral so it makes way more sense for me to sail out of Florida but I loved sailing out of New York. Great view for sailaway and we spent two days before the cruise being tourists in NYC.

I would love for DCL to sail again from NYC though if not it makes me look to other lines which I assume are just as good as well, would love to do NCL again

They do (along with Celebrity, the sister line). Cape Liberty is in Jersey and very inconvenient for me to get to compared to Red Hook or even the Manhattan Cruise Terminal though. Very expensive rideshare trip or multiple ugly tolls + parking fees compared to tapping my phone for $2.75 and a bus or subway ride. The Brooklyn terminal is nice; smaller than Manhattan but well organized.

They do (along with Celebrity, the sister line). Cape Liberty is in Jersey and very inconvenient for me to get to compared to Red Hook or even the Manhattan Cruise Terminal though. Very expensive rideshare trip or multiple ugly tolls + parking fees compared to tapping my phone for $2.75 and a bus or subway ride. The Brooklyn terminal is nice; smaller than Manhattan but well organized.
I really liked the Manhattan terminal. We stayed a couple blocks away so it was so easy to get to the ship. We could actually see part of the ship from the front door of the hotel! Apparently Disney doesn't like it because of some of the rather adult businesses nearby, but I thought it was super convenient and well run.

I really liked the Manhattan terminal. We stayed a couple blocks away so it was so easy to get to the ship. We could actually see part of the ship from the front door of the hotel! Apparently Disney doesn't like it because of some of the rather adult businesses nearby, but I thought it was super convenient and well run.

That's (Disney is unhappy with the area) is just hearsay and unlikely to be true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter