Disney not as wheelchair friendly as I hoped

I have begun looking at the power chairs with a control on the back so the "attendent" (ME) can control the power function. So far, they look complicated using a joystick contol. I would rather push most of the time and just press a "power assist" when needed, using hand grips like bicycle brakes or a bar like on a lawnmower.
Fairly expensive, but appear to work more similarly to what you were looking for.
YPush Caregiver Power Assisted wheelchair - the link also has a video demonstrating the device. This one is a wheelchair fitted with power

Empulse R20 power assist. This link also includes a video. This one is a device that attaches to the user’s own wheelchair

Falcon power assist wheelchair This link also includes a video. Interesting that it has a regular joystick and an attendant control which isn’t a joystick; it only goes backward and forward - the attendant has to physically turn it.

I’m not sure if you are talking power or manual or maybe ECVs are different than power or manual wheelchair??

I’ve never seen a manual or power wheelchair with brake pads.
My daughter has had numerous manual wheelchairs in her lifetime. The brakes are basically a small stick on a lever. Moving the lever pushes the ‘stick’ up to the tire. They do get out of alinement from time to time or the tire pressure can make the stick dig in too much or not enough. Checking that is the only maintenance.

She’s on her third power wheelchair. The brakes they have are electronic braking only. When the joystick is activated, power is being sent to the drive wheels. When it’s not activated or the power is turned off, no power is being sent and it doesn’t move. The electronic ‘brake’ is on by default. What some might call the brake is the disengage lever. It‘s normally on because you want the motors engaged. When it’s ‘off’, the motors are disengaged from the wheels and the wheelchair is in free wheel mode and can be pushed (or roll by itself). The only maintenance required is to disengage and engage it again periodically to make sure it doesn’t get stuck
It was a special outdoor chair made out of plastic and had big balloon tires - not sure if it was purchased or just made by someone at the facility. It didn't have the lever type brakes that are on a standard chair. I think they were bicycle brakes. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear - I'll go back and edit!

you should just rent a scooter, outside the park vendors. It’s makes life so much enjoyable. Summer months with the heat is a killer. Outside vendors meany yiu have the scooter all day.

you should just rent a scooter, outside the park vendors. It’s makes life so much enjoyable. Summer months with the heat is a killer. Outside vendors meany yiu have the scooter all day.
It is tempting but I'm also a Type 1 diabetic and if I rent a scooter I would have far less excuses to go eat a dole whip :D

I agree 100%! Yes, WDW is not perfect, but it is DEFINITELY most accommodating in comparison to other venues of daily life and vacation destinations. 😍
This is so true, and not just regarding mobility. I think that can be the cause of frustration, if that makes any sense at all. They're so good about accessibility in so many ways that it allows us to set our expectations high and make the problems we do encounter seem bigger than they normally would. Like, if I was going somewhere full of problems, Problem X would be just another problem. But when I'm going to a place where there aren't many problems, Problem X gets all my attention.

This is so true, and not just regarding mobility. I think that can be the cause of frustration, if that makes any sense at all. They're so good about accessibility in so many ways that it allows us to set our expectations high and make the problems we do encounter seem bigger than they normally would. Like, if I was going somewhere full of problems, Problem X would be just another problem. But when I'm going to a place where there aren't many problems, Problem X gets all my attention.
It’s disheartening though when strong and able-bodied caregivers of lightweight young children and those who are less disabled become aggressively dismissive of the problems of those who are more disabled (or disabled in different ways) and caregivers who aren’t as strong (and who may be disabled themselves).

Just because WDW has transfer devices doesn’t mean the manual ones they have are easy to use and not exhausting to use every ride over a long trip. Universal has some that are electric lifts and they have a lot more elevators. There was no reason to not put in an elevator at Flight of Passage because despite meeting ADA standards, that hill isn’t wheelchair-friendly if pushing yourself up in a manual. I bet all the people on this thread saying how perfect Disney is would be singing a different tune if forced to load and unload using WDW’s transfer devices and their legs hobbled.

It’s not that problems seem bigger…they are just as big as before. It just becomes easier for those not affected to be dismissive because it is no longer a problem affecting them. What many able-bodied caregivers don't realize is their disabled children won’t grow up to go to WDW despite it being more accessible than other places because of how challenging it is to do as a solo adult or with a friend who isn’t a trained caregiver. I see it all the time in Orlando and my home park. Even a disabled parent will have a spouse and often children to help. But teens or unmarried adults alone or with friends? It’s very difficult.

Just because WDW has transfer devices doesn’t mean the manual ones they have are easy to use and not exhausting to use every ride over a long trip. Universal has some that are electric lifts and they have a lot more elevators. There was no reason to not put in an elevator at Flight of Passage because despite meeting ADA standards, that hill isn’t wheelchair-friendly if pushing yourself up in a manual. I bet all the people on this thread saying how perfect Disney is would be singing a different tune if forced to load and unload using WDW’s transfer devices and their legs hobbled.
So agree. Few years ago, we did ride twice. Once I pushed DH. Once he walked and was exhausted.

I am very sympathetic to this. I have some mobility issues myself and tried to get the DAS pass a few years back and was told by Cast Members to just get a wheelchair. I have no problem walking--its being stuck in one position (i.e. standing in line for an extended period) that puts me in absolute agony. I'm not going to drag a wheelchair around the park just so I can sit while in line. I definitely don't have the arm strength to push myself around, sitting all day in the chair would cause the same problems, and alternating between the two incurs a level of judgement from strangers I don't want to deal with on vacation. Let's not even talk about the eye rolls I see guests gives people in ECVs, which is....ugh.

Our compromise was I now have a cane that can fold out into a chair. Disney is fine with this but Universal Security told me I absolutely could not use the chair function, or else I would be kicked out. Yikes.

I am very sympathetic to this. I have some mobility issues myself and tried to get the DAS pass a few years back and was told by Cast Members to just get a wheelchair. I have no problem walking--its being stuck in one position (i.e. standing in line for an extended period) that puts me in absolute agony. I'm not going to drag a wheelchair around the park just so I can sit while in line. I definitely don't have the arm strength to push myself around, sitting all day in the chair would cause the same problems, and alternating between the two incurs a level of judgement from strangers I don't want to deal with on vacation. Let's not even talk about the eye rolls I see guests gives people in ECVs, which is....ugh.

Our compromise was I now have a cane that can fold out into a chair. Disney is fine with this but Universal Security told me I absolutely could not use the chair function, or else I would be kicked out. Yikes.
Have you considered a rollertor? My DH uses one in everyday life, but at disney now uses a scooter. Last trip in early Dec, I used the rollertor in Epcot. I have no trouble walking, but I wouldn't be able to stand in one spot for the 20 mins to hear the storytellers/outdoor shows. I was fine without it in the other parks.

last I knew chair function was not usable at Disney either. you could use cane part but not chair part

I agree 100%! Yes, WDW is not perfect, but it is DEFINITELY most accommodating in comparison to other venues of daily life and vacation destinations. 😍
I disagree, there are other destinations that are more accommodating these days, although none are perfect of course, but many keep finding ways to be more accommodating to as many as possible. Some that come to mind are:
San Diego Zoo and Safari Park have built massive elevators and provides wheelchair shuttles around their parks to make them more accessible. They also offer sensory packs with various items (some you get to keep and some, like the noise canceling headphones you have to return) to help those with sensory issues. They also have designated quiet areas throughout the parks, have created self guided and initiated audio tours. They allow anyone that is disabled to bring their assistant free. With notice, they will also provide someone to assist people with certain disabilities around the parks (i.e. there are limits to this service) at no additional cost.

Silver Dollar City and Dollywood has introduced similar sensory packs, has a much easier to use DAS equivalent, etc.

SeaWorld marks all experiences with easy to understand ratings for those with various issues.

The list goes on and on and yes, I know Disney may be older than some of these places, but I don't buy age as an excuse. We have been to downtown San Juan Capistrano several times and honestly, DH finds it one of the easiest places to navigate in his ECV, this is a town that was started in 1776 and has managed to make things very accessible (again, not perfect) while maintaining its historical nature, so it is quite doable.

The problem is DH and I have seen others do better than Disney, so we know it is possible.

It’s disheartening though when strong and able-bodied caregivers of lightweight young children and those who are less disabled become aggressively dismissive of the problems of those who are more disabled (or disabled in different ways) and caregivers who aren’t as strong (and who may be disabled themselves).

Nobody said that. I doubt I could push a 300 pound human for an afternoon. But that isn't because WDW isn't "wheelchair friendly." It absolutely is. People who struggle with places that are NOT wheelchair friendly, you know, pretty much anywhere else, know the difference. I don't think it's fair to have a clickbait headline that isn't at all the problem.

Nobody said that. I doubt I could push a 300 pound human for an afternoon. But that isn't because WDW isn't "wheelchair friendly." It absolutely is. People who struggle with places that are NOT wheelchair friendly, you know, pretty much anywhere else, know the difference. I don't think it's fair to have a clickbait headline that isn't at all the problem.
I'm with RoseGold on this. The issue isn't really whether Disney is wheelchair accessible (it is) but is it accommodating to individual disabilities and circumstances. No park will ever be able to accommodate all possible disabilities and circumstances because every single one is different. This doesn't mean we shouldn't want/demand that they do better where possible but it does mean there will be limitations.

For example it was said "that hill isn’t wheelchair-friendly if pushing yourself up in a manual." regarding the Pandora ramp. While that may be true for some wheelchair users, I have no issue pushing up that hill. I don't expect every wheelchair user to be able to manage it but it doesn't mean the ramp itself is a problem.

I'm with RoseGold on this. The issue isn't really whether Disney is wheelchair accessible (it is) but is it accommodating to individual disabilities and circumstances. No park will ever be able to accommodate all possible disabilities and circumstances because every single one is different. This doesn't mean we shouldn't want/demand that they do better where possible but it does mean there will be limitations.

For example it was said "that hill isn’t wheelchair-friendly if pushing yourself up in a manual." regarding the Pandora ramp. While that may be true for some wheelchair users, I have no issue pushing up that hill. I don't expect every wheelchair user to be able to manage it but it doesn't mean the ramp itself is a problem.
Isn't that a wrong way to make ada ramps tho? so now only skinny riders and buff self pushers can do it? most people who cant move tend to be overweight.. so if its to hard for them its not good enough imo.

Isn't that a wrong way to make ada ramps tho? so now only skinny riders and buff self pushers can do it? most people who cant move tend to be overweight.. so if its to hard for them its not good enough imo.
The ramp is built to spec and has the proper incline. Now if you want to change that spec you can certainly lobby for it but that isn’t Disney’s fault for building the ramp to the spec. I would say that if a person finds that or other inclines too difficult to navigate manually they should consider an ECV. There is nothing wrong with anyone using every tool available to have the max amount of fun on their vacation. There is no shame in using an ECV. I fully expect my shoulders will give out someday and when they do I’ll be the old guy with crap arms in an ECV still having a blast.

As an aside, I appreciate the insinuation that I’m either buff or skinny, but I assure you I am neither. :)

last I knew chair function was not usable at Disney either. you could use cane part but not chair part
That’s what I’ve heard/read too.
It‘s because of potential for them tipping since they are not very stable. I read one account where someone saw a person using one while waiting for the parade. It tipped over and the person fell off over the curb. The person who reported it didn’t know what injury it caused, but did know the guest left with EMS.
I also read one report where a person posted she was using it in line to sit. Someone bumped her and she ended up breaking her elbow.

I don’t know about everyone posting on this thread, but we are no longer pushing around and transferring a small child. We were when we first started coming to WDW, but she is now an adult - she’s a pretty small adult (5 feet tall and about 82 pounds), but even that small of an adult gets really hard to transfer when she can’t really help and needs to be lifted in and out of anything without a wheelchair vehicle. Other than doors that open wider, none of the transfer devices really help us. They are mostly designed to be used by a person who will use them to transfer themselves

The ramp is built to spec and has the proper incline. Now if you want to change that spec you can certainly lobby for it but that isn’t Disney’s fault for building the ramp to the spec. I would say that if a person finds that or other inclines too difficult to navigate manually they should consider an ECV. There is nothing wrong with anyone using every tool available to have the max amount of fun on their vacation. There is no shame in using an ECV. I fully expect my shoulders will give out someday and when they do I’ll be the old guy with crap arms in an ECV still having a blast.

As an aside, I appreciate the insinuation that I’m either buff or skinny, but I assure you I am neither. :)
Mainly speaking about what others were saying about fop. That line is even hard on a ecv..

I mean this kindly. You are using words you don't understand. When you deal with accessibility in the real world and fight hard for meager ADA accommodations, this kind of language is triggering. Everything you see at WDW is beyond ADA requirements, and definitely "wheelchair friendly." WDW is one of the most accessible places on the planet. The solution to your obese family member was to get a scooter, as it is for many. Or, maybe this person needs a powerchair, as many do as well.

Now, Pandora does annoy me, as it's one of the least accessible parts of WDW. Pandora is all new, WDW could have done better. I mean, no wheelchair car in Navi, no glass wall or even a bench seat in FOP, come on. Like it would have killed them to park a Make A Wish kid behind some glass? But that doesn't mean WDW isn't "accessible," generally speaking, because it is.

Last edited:
I mean this kindly. You are using words you don't understand. When you deal with accessibility in the real world and fight hard for meager ADA accommodations, this kind of language is triggering. Everything you see at WDW is beyond ADA requirements, and definitely "wheelchair friendly." WDW is one of the most accessible places on the planet. The solution to your obese family member was to get a scooter, as it is for many. Or, maybe this person needs a powerchair, as many do as well.

Now, Pandora does annoy me, as it's one of the lease accessible parts of WDW. Pandora is all new, WDW could have done better. I mean, no wheelchair car in Navi, no glass wall or even a bench seat in FOP, come on. Like it would have killed them to park a Make A Wish kid behind some glass? But that doesn't mean WDW isn't "accessible," generally speaking, because it is.
What do you mean “glass wall”?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter