Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

runDisney Ends Complimentary Tickets for Event Volunteers

“Thank you for considering volunteering your time during the upcoming runDisney race season! Your passion for making a difference in the Central Florida community through our celebrated charities is truly valued. In keeping with that spirit of volunteerism, complimentary theme park tickets will not be distributed. We appreciate your support and enthusiasm for our magical running community.”
Wow..."in keeping with the spirit of volunteerism". They sure do know how to rub ppl. the wrong way.

I agree, I didn’t think the race fees went to charity so it’s just even more bad optics. I know there’s some charity groups that buy a block of race spots but those are separate and cost more money to register for., I know my sister has registered this way for the Dopey through GKTW. I’m sure a lot of the “volunteers” only do it for the free ticket. Especially the odd hours of the races, I’m sure a lot more will be skipping volunteering and sleeping in.
This company is so good at attracting bad PR these days. It almost feels like they're doing it on purpose.

I think a lot of people forget when comparing other parks to WDW is that it is a complex of four parks, 2-4x the amount of other Disney locations around the world. I think that's why we expect more announcements to pertain to it. Because when you lay it out on a timeline it looks well invested, if you compare parks side by side it's less impressive. I don't have the data but I would like to see a comparison of the 2 parks in Disneyland to the 4 parks in Disneyworld to see if WDW has twice as many updates or if they are the same.
Not to mention how many Disney-owned and operated hotels there are in WDW. Do any of the other parks have that many to maintain?

It's hard to consider Guardians a "retheme" since it is so different. Sure it replaced an attraction for a net gain of zero, but it's not a retheme in the style of Frozen or Tiana.
I think you feel that way because it was an upgrade in ride type, which I think deserves more kudos than a reskin, even when the reskin is needed.

Last edited:
The current price of Disney stock has nothing to do with what the company can afford. The stock market is simply a vehicle for people to by/sell their interest in a company. The Company gets nothing from any of those transactions.
Except that a company’s stock is currency for corporate transactions

WDW over 2016-2025:

View attachment 791576

Can also add to this list Journey of Water
Oh, I'll play: 2016, a retheme of an existing ride. 2017: Got rid of something that wasn't very well utilized, bravo. 2018&2019, almost a swap of experiences/rides. 2020, direct ride replacement. 2021, Completely new addition though a copy of something from Paris. 2022, a direct replacement for an existing ride...but SERIOUS upgrade. 2023, Completely new addition though a copy of something from Shanghai. 2024, retheme.

I agree, I didn’t think the race fees went to charity so it’s just even more bad optics. I know there’s some charity groups that buy a block of race spots but those are separate and cost more money to register for., I know my sister has registered this way for the Dopey through GKTW. I’m sure a lot of the “volunteers” only do it for the free ticket. Especially the odd hours of the races, I’m sure a lot more will be skipping volunteering and sleeping in.

I've volunteered at numerous festivals and conventions over the years, and complimentary admission while off-duty was always included as a way to entice volunteering. I'd like to say I'm surprised by this move, but Disney's 'spirit of volunteerism' is pretty much on point with their attitude towards the customers these days.

I've volunteered at numerous festivals and conventions over the years, and complimentary admission while off-duty was always included as a way to entice volunteering. I'd like to say I'm surprised by this move, but Disney's 'spirit of volunteerism' is pretty much on point with their attitude towards the customers these days.
I agree it just sends wrong message.. I sent an email to them on that tone too.. hope that many others feel the same way and they can listen… not necessarily the ticket but a sort of recognition and encouragement…

They were already on this path when they reduced it from a full day to a half day for Marathon weekend this year.

Annual Passholder Previews for Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana are coming to EPCOT 9/24–9/29 and 10/1–10/4.
Important: “Registration will not be required for this event. Passholders with a theme Park reservation to EPCOT will be able to check-in and join the standby queue during normal operating hours (subject to capacity).“

Scott Gustin
IMG_2202.jpeg

IMG_2203.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

Annual Passholder Previews for Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana are coming to EPCOT 9/24–9/29 and 10/1–10/4.
Important: “Registration will not be required for this event. Passholders with a theme Park reservation to EPCOT will be able to check-in and join the standby queue during normal operating hours (subject to capacity).“

Scott Gustin
View attachment 791862

View attachment 791863

View attachment 791864
It's great that no advanced registration is required. My pass won't be active until Sept 30th but I'll be there until the 4th and already have a park reservation for the 2nd. I'm glad I'll be able to experience it.

Right not I’m gambling on being off on one of the October dates and there still being park passes available if not it should be open by wine & dine

Scott Gustin
View attachment 791862

View attachment 791863

View attachment 791864
I'll be at Universal those days before flying home, but I might have to uber back to Epcot just to check it out in person!

New Rivers of America Nighttime Show ‘The Heartbeat of New Orleans – A Living Mural’ Coming to Disneyland Park

Disneyland has announced a new limited-time nighttime entertainment offering coming to the Rivers of America. Here are the details:

Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band perform high-energy tunes on a New Orleans-themed raft as they float down the Rivers of America on select nights. During their set, fountains and lighting create a beautiful, ambient atmosphere.

Beginning Sept. 29, 2023, a new limited-time nighttime entertainment offering “The Heartbeat of New Orleans – A Living Mural” will enchant guests at Disneyland Park. Set to a dynamic jazz score, projections on the Rivers of America will tell a short, whimsical tale of a mischievous little frog from the bayou that leaps into the lively heartbeat of New Orleans when he is lured by the jazzy sounds he hears in the distance. This unique art installation will animate original artwork by Disney Live Entertainment graphic designer Marcella “Marci” Swett, best known for her chalk art at Downtown Disney District during Celebrate Soulfully. “The Heartbeat of New Orleans – A Living Mural” and Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band will enhance the atmosphere on the Rivers of America on select evenings this fall, and will run nightly during the holiday season. Guests can check Disneyland.com or the Disneyland app for details and showtimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter