Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Disney100: D23 Royal Anniversary Ball

Gold Member Tickets: $199 (+$7 Processing Fee) per ticket.
Tickets go on sale on Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 10:00 a.m. PT/ 1:00 p.m. ET in the link provided.
By royal decree, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club invites the greatest Disney fans in the world to an unforgettable Royal Ball at The Walt Disney Studios—celebrating 100 years of Disney!
This gilded extravaganza will be the ultimate commemoration of this auspicious anniversary, marking 100 years of magic and enchantment. A royal court of Disney favorites are delighted to host you and your own royal court at the place where the magic is meticulously curated for fans around the world, just like you. On an evening under a sparkling sky, you are invited to look up at the stars as they guide you to a celebration where your fairytale wishes are fulfilled.
Sovereign citizens from every enchanted kingdom are sure to be in attendance, so it’s important that you and your royal court arrive dressed to impress! We recommend having your Fairy Godmother whip up a little “Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo” for a truly spellbinding ensemble. This is your chance to dig a little deeper and join the celebration of the century resplendent in your foremost finery!
Upon arrival, guests will then make a luxurious grand entrance onto The Walt Disney Studios lot via a sprawling purple carpet, complete with photo opportunities aplenty. Then, you’ll find magical offerings around every corner of the lot throughout the night—including regal displays of magical costumes and props from the Walt Disney Archives; shopping for astonishing apparel and gifts at the Walt Disney Studio Store and Walt Disney Company Store; and an array of tantalizing foods, inspired by each decade of Disney history, and a hosted bar of tempting libations.
As for the evening’s entertainment, you and your court will experience enjoyable activities that make this festive ball truly ROYAL! From majestic music to dazzling dancing, to meeting with favorite Disney characters, there’s no shortage of ways to make the most of the magic before the clock strikes midnight!
Fans in attendance will also be able to watch the inspiring new short Once Upon a Studio from Walt Disney Animation Studios in the historic Studio Theater all evening long. Celebrating 100 years of the studio that started it all, this short reveals what happens when a century of iconic characters gather for a group photo.
D23 invites you to be our guest at this sure-to-be-historic Royal Ball, celebrating a once-in-a-lifetime anniversary with a night of grandeur and majesty. It’s our special way of celebrating you for letting us be part of your world. And best of all, it’s sure to end in the greatest way a story can, with “Happily Ever After”…
DETAILS
Event Includes:
  • Entry to Disney100: D23 Royal Anniversary Ball at The Walt Disney Studios lot in Burbank, CA
  • Commemorative Event-Exclusive Lithograph
  • Commemorative Event Credential
  • Heavy hors d’oeuvres inspired by each decade of Disney history, and a hosted bar featuring beer, wine, and enchanting cocktails
  • Access to Once Upon a Studio Screenings in the Studio Theater
NOTES
  • D23 Gold Members may reserve a ticket for themselves and up to five (5) guests.
  • Each attendee must have a ticket in their possession for entry.
  • There are a limited number of tickets available. D23 Members must log in by using their D23.com Member account information when reserving tickets.
  • D23 Gold Members who do not bring their membership card and tickets may not be admitted to the event. Membership card may be a physical card or a digital membership card found in the D23 App.
  • Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a Guest 18 years of age or older to attend this D23 event.
  • Ticketed Members and guests who do not attend the event forfeit their place, as well as all experiences, benefits, and gifts associated with the event. D23 Members must be present or guests will not gain admittance to the event.
  • Guests who are age 21+ are required to present valid government issued photo IDs to consume alcoholic beverages.

I think this is a good way to do it though - not as a Zootopia the city, but a show in the Tree is fine. I always really liked It's Tough to be a Bug though! I'd rather they do this in The Theater in the Wild.
I don't remember the last time I saw It's Tough To Be a Bug (maybe in DCA?) so I don't have strong feelings either way.

I'll take hate for this but the Nemo show isn't good so I would be okay with that getting a retheme too.

I don't remember the last time I saw It's Tough To Be a Bug (maybe in DCA?) so I don't have strong feelings either way.

I'll take hate for this but the Nemo show isn't good so I would be okay with that getting a retheme too.
That theater can merge into this new Tropical Americas idea and give me anything other than “Big Blue World” ever again 🙂

Yeah, I mean, I like it, but it's also sometimes a skip. I love everyone's reaction to the spiders! 🤣 Still, I can understand the change and roll with it.

I think this is a good way to do it though - not as a Zootopia the city, but a show in the Tree is fine. I always really liked It's Tough to be a Bug though! I'd rather they do this in The Theater in the Wild.
I loved Bug's Life so I really enjoy this show right down to people screaming. Bugs inside a tree makes sense. I don't think Zootopia belongs in AK and it makes no sense inside a tree. It feels like a cheap bone thrown to guests - hey here you go, some Zootopia. Another lets spend as little money as possible and try to convince guests they are getting a new attraction.

Theater in the Wild - I love the theater version of Nemo, happy they shortened it ..... but now we've skipped last few trips. Time for something new!!! I have no hope though. Perhaps since so close to Dinoland that a new show will come with opening of the new land. Hope I'm still alive.

Do we know that it’s inside the tree & not just another projection show on the outside?

Do we know that it’s inside the tree & not just another projection show on the outside?
The show would replace It’s Tough to be a Bug. “The current concept for the new “Zootopia” experience has guests visiting the different biomes you only glimpse in the film, traveling along with Judy Hopps, Nick Wilde and other characters.” More details later.

Scott Gustin

Here's a first look at Figment at his new meet and greet space at EPCOT. Figment will begin greeting guests at the Imagination! pavilion at EPCOT starting Sept. 10.

View attachment 792354View attachment 792355View attachment 792356
See, this is where Disney makes me really annoyed. Don't have the Dreamfinder as part of anything unless you're bringing him back as part of the attraction. Stop trading on nostalgia that you purposefully removed from the ride.

The show would replace It’s Tough to be a Bug
Happy that it would replace that. Of all the 3D experiences at WDW, that was the worst. It seems that all they wanted to do is assault the guests from all directions.

A lot of Muppets in this panel, wonder why :D
Last Wednesday I attended an intimate Q&A with Dave Goelz at Center for Puppetry Arts. Behind me sat VP of Disney Muppet Studios, an Imagineer and another CM. Before it started they were talking that they were going to D23. During the Q&A Dave said he was going to D23. I truly hoped it meant more Muppets but that would have been too good to be true. But given the F&W Muppets and Figment Meet & Greet - and the lack of substance, perhaps this was a way to get folks excited.

One thing he did discuss in response to a question was Figment. He voiced Figment and he said he can't believe how popular he is or why. To him it's just a small ride. It was just a few hour job.

Oh and the Q&A was to present a Gonzo that will be on exhibit at the museum. It was a great event. He was fun, interesting, shared great stories. Note there are very few Gonzos because Jim H insisted he be made with a specific foam and that means his nose "breaks" in a short period of time.

I don’t mind these announcements except that several seem to involve retheming rides vs net additions. In the time they are down for retheme (which will be long) that actually reduces park capacity… I wish more new things were being added.

Dinoland to possibly be reimagined to Tropical Americas, featuring authentic experiences from Central and South America

Included teases of “We Don’t Talk about Bruno” and Indiana Jones

View attachment 792346View attachment 792347View attachment 792348

View attachment 792359

"New experiences inspired by Encanto—the award-winning Walt Disney Animation
Studios film—and the beloved adventurer Indiana Jones are being considered for the
reimagined land at Disney’s Animal Kingdom."

Bruce Vaughn—Chief Creative Officer at Walt Disney Imagineering—added that “there’s a long way to go
and a lot more to discover but Imagineering teams in Florida are up for the challenge.”

TRANSLATES - Don't you like our pretty storyboard. We need lots of time to research this to see if we want to go forward with some designs. Maybe you will even forget we shared this.

Truly tired of story boards each year that seem to just vanish. Remember the last one - Storyboard Encanto, Coco, Villains to Magic Kingdom ...................

ALSO Encanto should not be in AK -
WHAT is their reasoning for putting it there?
Legit reasoning how it fits!!

I bet the Encanto attraction would be a walk through of the house. The mockup looks like it would have a Coco dark ride which would probably be going through the world of the dead. It ties into AK with the Pepita. Maybe you ride on Pepita through the world of the dead. That could look fairly beautiful if they can recreate the look of the film.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter