Disney has priced us out.

must say- they certainly are not using any of that extra money from the increased cruise prices to hire more customer service reps to handle phone calls!!!

its Wednesday night at 6:45EST and I'm on hold 20 minutes already, waiting to ask two simple questions about my reserved August cruise!!!

must say- they certainly are not using any of that extra money from the increased cruise prices to hire more customer service reps to handle phone calls!!!

its Wednesday night at 6:45EST and I'm on hold 20 minutes already, waiting to ask two simple questions about my reserved August cruise!!!

Why would anyone do this themselves when their travel agent would do it for them???

You get what you pay for, there is no way I would ever do a cruise with Carnival, they only other ones I might go on are Royal or Norwegian, but honestly, I just love Disney itself, but their ships are so clean, their service is great, I feel my child is safe and happy at the kids club. I enjoy my free soda lol, just feel at home with DCL

I'm a little bummed myself. The only 7-nights out for next fall are on Fantasy. For 8 of us in standard inside staterooms in November it's $8,200. I can do two separate TWO-week land vacations at WDW for the same. So one week sea vs. 4 weeks land... Sure it's quantity vs quality, but it's not like land is slumming it.

I guess we are in the priced out crowd. We are going on a 12 day NCL Med cruise that is less than $100 more than a 5 day Disney Med Cruise. We are still going to do the seven day repositioning cruise from London to Barcelona which for some reason is less than the five day cruise as well. Hopefully, I can get that much time off.

Our first time on DCL will be the Panama Canal crossing in Oct. 2015. The price for an OV for four was $6800. and some change. I looked at every other possibility for that time of year and DCL was very competitive. I have high expectations that it will be the cruise of a lifetime.
We booked Alaska on NCL because the price was a little more than half the price of the same cruise on DCL, is roundtrip from Seattle vs. Vancouver which is cheaper and easier for us and there is a stop in Victoria which I adore. Carnival was even cheaper and we could have had a balcony. In the end I wanted to try something new and choose DCL for their Nickelodeon experience.
Carnival is the only cruise line we have been on and we were over the top happy, this was a few years ago before all the trauma and drama that has since been in the media. Maybe we were lucky, but they went above and beyond to take care of our son who is disabled. They simply could not do enough for us and we were very pampered. We were in the cheapest OV we could get. The only thing we spent money on were a few pictures since it was our anniversary and we treated ourselves to soda cards. There were no other charges. We loved the food and our stateroom was quiet and comfortable.
I would be happy to go on any cruise and overall I am just looking for the best pricing to go on our Dream List of destinations. When there is a few thousand dollars difference for the same itinerary then I will just go with the cheapest and be happy.

I will first admit to not having read through the thread... then I will suggest doing what we did... we booked a three night, "off-season" on the Magic and when VGTs were opened up, we booked a four night to b2b the original cruise, and the cost was significantly less than a seven night... I realize that there are some "compromises" that we had to deal with (i.e. same menus, same shows, same ports) but there were also some pluses such as two CC days, and increasing our CClub level.

Our first time on DCL will be the Panama Canal crossing in Oct. 2015. The price for an OV for four was $6800. and some change. I looked at every other possibility for that time of year and DCL was very competitive. ....

That is a great price. Our EBPC repo in 2008 was around $8800 after the 10% discount for the four of us in an OV. That was in August though when more kids could go since school was out. The PC cruises have offered *GT rates the past couple years after the PIF date at about half of what we paid. One year when the kids are both in college, DH will take that cruise again when the deals hit. :)

I guess we are in the priced out crowd. We are going on a 12 day NCL Med cruise that is less than $100 more than a 5 day Disney Med Cruise. We are still going to do the seven day repositioning cruise from London to Barcelona which for some reason is less than the five day cruise as well. Hopefully, I can get that much time off.

We did the NCL Spirit last year. You will love the itinerary. It was almost 10 K cheaper than DCL for 6. Just don't go expecting Disney. Beautiful ship, fun crew, terrible shows and the food was ok. We still have a fabulous vacation loved all the ports. It is not a real axing vacation but is amazing!!! The tastings are a lot of fun. Much smaller groups than on DCL. Didn't care for the anytime dining. Dinner was just a meal, not any fun. Some things were delicious some not so much!!

Carnival is the only cruise line we have been on and we were over the top happy, this was a few years ago before all the trauma and drama that has since been in the media. Maybe we were lucky, but they went above and beyond to take care of our son who is disabled. They simply could not do enough for us and we were very pampered. We were in the cheapest OV we could get. The only thing we spent money on were a few pictures since it was our anniversary and we treated ourselves to soda cards. There were no other charges. We loved the food and our stateroom was quiet and comfortable.
I would be happy to go on any cruise and overall I am just looking for the best pricing to go on our Dream List of destinations. When there is a few thousand dollars difference for the same itinerary then I will just go with the cheapest and be happy.

CCL used to be a great product, clearly, or I wouldn't have kept going on them. I have Gold with both RCI and CCL. I won't go back on CCL, my last Dream was SUCH a disappointment. I'm glad you had good service, as our cruises up to 2011 were really great experiences. We noticed some cut backs in 2012, but it wasn't til our last one a few weeks after Triumph 2013 that we realized CCL corporate had made cut backs that we couldn't deal with. We aren't picky, we just wanted waters filled in the dining room etc. It was honestly that poorly staffed, and I have never waited in so many lines just for something like a self serve icecream or a cup of coffee in the buffet dining room.

Our friends enjoyed their Jan Pride of America NCL but they all agree, never CCL for them again either (and that was based on the 2011 cruise I really liked!). So hopefully you will do well with NCL.

CCL is strapped with poorly maintained older ships, and their response is to add big back up generators to the ship decks that can't have them installed and then to cut back things we enjoyed (like a sushi bar), and half of the staff. The poor servers were so overwhelmed and their hatred of us is quite evident. On cruise critic, one guest asked to take a photo of her servers and when she looks back, the server is flipping double birds in the photo. That about says it all.

Other than the Pirate show being somewhat juvenile on our recent Magic and the rooms being less than their Dream counterparts, my Magic cruise is one of the most FUN adult and funny entertaining cruises I have ever had. In 4 days, the fun level WAAAAAAY exceeded any 7 day on Carnival (although ports are always great, but their sea days are bingo and baudy pool deck games), and that was especially true for our 3 day Dream last year as well. Same money as a Carnival, a few less days (less to take off time off work and pay dogsitters), and a much, much better cruising experience!

I will first admit to not having read through the thread... then I will suggest doing what we did... we booked a three night, "off-season" on the Magic and when VGTs were opened up, we booked a four night to b2b the original cruise, and the cost was significantly less than a seven night... I realize that there are some "compromises" that we had to deal with (i.e. same menus, same shows, same ports) but there were also some pluses such as two CC days, and increasing our CClub level.

This is brilliant advice! Thanks so much for mentioning it, I'm so gonna look into this.

We just took our first cruise of any kind this last April on the Wonder out of Miami. It was 4 nights to the Bahamas. It was a great experience, so much so that I immediately started looking into a 7 night cruise for the future. As the OP wrote, Disney may have priced us out as well. We are a family of 5 adults and as such need 2 staterooms. I'm not sure we will ever see that 7 night cruise.

We just took our first cruise of any kind this last April on the Wonder out of Miami. It was 4 nights to the Bahamas. It was a great experience, so much so that I immediately started looking into a 7 night cruise for the future. As the OP wrote, Disney may have priced us out as well. We are a family of 5 adults and as such need 2 staterooms. I'm not sure we will ever see that 7 night cruise.

I'm with you. I'm going to watch *GTs next year and see what happens for my elusive Fantasy getaway! (Unless DCL sends us another 10% off pin code... that would help...)

We are a family of 8. It will be *GT or nothing for us. And with DS#1 starting courses at the community college we 'll be at the mercy if a school schedule to boot. Still have our hearts set on PC though.

We did the NCL Spirit last year. You will love the itinerary. It was almost 10 K cheaper than DCL for 6. Just don't go expecting Disney. Beautiful ship, fun crew, terrible shows and the food was ok. We still have a fabulous vacation loved all the ports. It is not a real axing vacation but is amazing!!! The tastings are a lot of fun. Much smaller groups than on DCL. Didn't care for the anytime dining. Dinner was just a meal, not any fun. Some things were delicious some not so much!!

Thanks for the info. We have read about NCL food and entertainment and that is fine. As long as the food is passable. The kids clubs are well received. It was the itinerary that got us. Some wonderful places we visited with Disney last year and then add Instanbul, Naples and Venice and they got us.

. . . We are going on a 12 day NCL Med cruise that is less than $100 more than a 5 day Disney Med Cruise. We are still going to do the seven day repositioning cruise from London to Barcelona which for some reason is less than the five day cruise as well.
Last year we did something very similar. We went on the Disney Magic EBTA repositioning cruise to Barcelona, then the NCL Spirit 12-night from Barcelona to Venice.

We enjoyed the many sea days on the Magic. But for the port intensive Med cruise (12 nights with only 2 sea days), we were fine with NCL as the vast majority of our waking hours would in port.

We did the NCL Spirit last year. You will love the itinerary. It was almost 10 K cheaper than DCL for 6. Just don't go expecting Disney. Beautiful ship, fun crew, terrible shows and the food was ok. We still have a fabulous vacation loved all the ports.

. . . Didn't care for the anytime dining. Dinner was just a meal, not any fun. Some things were delicious some not so much!!
For us, on a cruise with such a port intensive itinerary, we liked having Freestyle Dining. We could eat when we wanted. Plus there was a buffet option if we were tired and wanted something quick, but not burgers and pizza fast food. Our meals were enjoyable; they did not have to be fun.

I'll take your word for the lack of quality of the shows. I went to only one or two. We were often exhausted after a long port day. So we would typically have dinner, return to the cabin early to rest up and prepare for the next day's port (read Rick Steves guidebook), then go to sleep early.

YMMV.

Woody

We are a family of 8. It will be *GT or nothing for us. And with DS#1 starting courses at the community college we 'll be at the mercy if a school schedule to boot. Still have our hearts set on PC though.

Can someone please explain GT rates to me? We have only been on one cruise and I knew what part of the ship I wanted to be on so we just reserved a certain room when we booked it. If I only want to stay mid or aft would I still be safe to go the GT route? I know when I was researching it before it seemed like the forward rooms were always still open and I would be scared of getting put there and then get motion sickness. GT rates might be the difference of getting to go or not though.

We have decided that DCL makes sense only when traveling with children. On a WBTA we met a family with 6 children who had also been on the EBTA. The mother said the 2 cruises were cheaper than day camp with 6 children. At that time interior rooms were $999 for each adult, so adults were total of 4K for 4 weeks. I don't recall what the child rates were, but low. Plus they could get round trip air tickets to return home for the summer after the first cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter