Disney has priced us out.

JohnDaleswife

Sharing the same birthday with Donald Duck!
I doubt I will ever get to sail on a 7 night cruise with Disney. Their prices are just completely unafforable to us and I know like age, the will never go down. (unless a VGT rate or something.) But even with those, they will be out of my league.

We are in the same boat (pun intended). I priced a 7 night Caribbean with similar ports (2 exact) and a comparable room (balcony, mid ship, deck 7) on Carnival for $2975 vs. $5588 on DCL. I understand the Disney magic, and the pixie dust, plus the inclusive kids clubs, but I'm not that's worth the additional $2400. Nor am I sure we can ever afford or justify that price. It makes me sad.

I had a cruise booked for April 2015 on the magic but we wanted to go in the summer...the new price for the fantasy (only option) was over $7000!!! Needless to say we are not doing that. Instead we are doing carnival in the summer and the parks in April....2 weeks for the cost of 1!!

I had a dummy date booked that I changed to a Western on the Fantasy. I went ahead and paid the deposit and will hold onto it for a while, but will most likely end up letting it go because the price was nearly $2000 more than what I paid for our Eastern last summer in the same month/room category. My boys will be just as happy on RCCL, I will be the one who misses the Disney magic!

Just when I think, DCL can't shock me? Here comes the new pricing!pirate:

I doubt I will ever get to sail on a 7 night cruise with Disney. Their prices are just completely unafforable to us and I know like age, the will never go down. (unless a VGT rate or something.) But even with those, they will be out of my league.

I feel your pain. We would love to do a 7 night Fantasy Cruise in the near future, but we have 4 kids & for a family of 6 the price is steep. We can afford it, I just can't convince DH to spend the money.

It's a continuation of what we saw in November for the beginning of 2015.

I don't think Walt would like it one bit. The thing that makes DCL so great is that it is perfect for families, people who are saving for college, weddings, etc. For the first time in years I was exploring RCI today. I'll never give up on Disney, but the trips won't be every year anymore. Have I got this math right...if I save 20.00 a day, I can afford a 7000.00 cruise. Maybe that's the plan.

Every time I price out a RC, I never really get better pricing.

I just priced out a 7n eastern on RC and it was $5300 for a family of 4. My 7n eastern in 2015 on disney fantasy is (cat 5e) is $4700 (this is with the 10% off I got for booking a dummy cruise onboard)

Also this is on the allure, cause I would want a pretty newer boat like the fantasy.. I know it is much larger of a ship. Maybe someone can suggest another "class"

Maybe summer bookings are the issues? But I like leaving cold canada in the winter!!

Edited to say; I did price out a 8n eastern on the freedom class, has a great iteinery of $4660.. That ain't so bad. Not sure how that class compairs to fantasy, but looks ok

We had only been in disney's Dream with dcl and really loved our recent freedom cruise. The freedom class of ship is great.

Problem is; as long as other people pay these rates, they are not likely to go down.

I don't really have anything to add except to say that you're not alone. I'd love to do a 7 day Fantasy cruise, but we can only travel on school holidays (husband is a principal) and we're priced right out. We got a fairly good price on a Mexican Riviera cruise back in winter break 2012 and then for a President's week 4 day cruise in 2013, but $7-800+ per night for a family of four is just out of our league. It makes me a bit sad, but at least we still have some money for family trips and there are plenty of other options so we are a lot more fortunate than many! :goodvibes

i understand the frustration with rising prices. We have cruised on both RCL and Disney (Fantasy, Magic and Wonder) we would choose a 5 night Disney over a 7 night RCL because of the difference we experienced with each Disney cruise. With RCL we enjoyed the cruise but with Disney it was more about the memories and the constant smile on your face

I completely understand as well. Our trip in April will probably be a one-time deal. It's a nice experience to have done it once but my son will not really notice the difference if I switch to another line.

I'm trying to get to Platinum in the next couple of years. I have a feeling in 2 years even the off season cruises will be out of my comfort zone. My kids will also be teenagers in a couple of years, and I think they will like RCI better. I don't know why, but I would really like to get to platinum for my kids. Hopefully someday my kids will have good jobs and they can enjoy their platinum status, and if I'm lucky they'll invite their old mom. :)

We are also priced out :sad2:

As long as people keep paying the prices they will continue to rise. I just cannot justify nearly 10k (including airfare because we are no where near a port) for vacation. It really makes me sad because it truly is a wonderful vacation and experience for my family.

Also this is on the allure, cause I would want a pretty newer boat like the fantasy... Edited to say; I did price out a 8n eastern on the freedom class, has a great iteinery of $4660.. That ain't so bad. Not sure how that class compairs to fantasy, but looks ok

Allure is nothing like the Fantasy, it is in a league of its own. Freedom class ships are closer in size to Dream class ships. They're actually a little larger. We enjoyed our trip on a Freedom class ship this past January very much.

Are people looking at inside and ocean view cabins also? Are those also out of reach? I haven't priced the summer newer ships do I don't know.

ETA: I booked an inside for Alaska for $2600. For 2. Thought it was a good price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter