• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney gift cards at Target

Last edited:
I bought a Disney GC yesterday with my Red Card. Even though I was charged for it, it never activated. There were other instances too - check out this thread - https://www.disboards.com/threads/target-disney-gift-card-nightmare.3689348/

I called Target today they are refunding me but I have to wait to get a check in the mail. I could have gone back to the store where I purchased it, but it is about 45 min away....I am done with buying Disney cards at Target. Not worth the hassle, especially since I can not longer use gift cards to pay for them.

This happened to me yesterday when I bought a Starbucks GC and 2 Chick fil A GCs. None of them were activated and my receipt had said that they would be activated within 3 hours. After four hours, I called Target and they told me to call Starbucks, etc to see what the issue was. Starbucks told me that that card was never activated. Luckily, I live 5 minutes away from my Target so I went there and demanded that they fix the issue. They couldn't figure out what was wrong and ended up refunding all three cards to my RedCard and the interesting thing was I got $2 cash back from the Target GC i used to buy sunscreen.

That's exactly the way I feel. I have no use for Target anymore.
If they take away the 5% RedCard discount on gift cards, I'm done with them as well. Our Target store is right next door to our Meijer, which is where we tend to buy most of our groceries since they have better prices and a better selection. I buy most of our HBC stuff at Target because of the FWP gift card offers. When I combine the gift cards with the 5% RedCard discount, I come out better than buying the same things at Meijer so it is worth it to make the extra stop next door. But...if Target takes away the RedCard discount on gift cards, then there is really no benefit for me to shop there at all because I won't be able to "convert" my FWP gift cards to my advantage anymore. It won't be worth it to make an extra stop. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that Target keeps the RedCard discount in place on the gift cards.

I was at my local target today and all Disney gift cards have been pulled from the shelves. I thought it was because of the activation problem they are having but maybe they aren't going to carry them any more.

What a bummer. I still have 200 dollars worth. The only silver lining is the target near me is turning into a Super Target so
i guess i will some groceries or sale items. I rarely shop at Target. It is a nice store but prices are not that comparable
on most things.

Everyone remember they do price match.... so that is something.

Well *bleep*! The last time I bought DGC with target GC's was on the 13th. Is there an official comment from Target other than that link?

Thanks for the link. I thought it always stated that but that DGC was considered an "entertainment" card. I wrote corporate an email and hope to get a response next week.
It did not always have that specific wording. If you check the earlier link provided by @Gr8t Fan it shows the "before" and "after" wording. It specifically includes in-store purchases of GCs with Target GCs whereas prior to last Sunday, it only excluded them via online purchases.

Last edited:
As long as I can get 5% off with my Red Card, I will just order DGCs through my app.

So if you spend $25 on other stuff you can buy disney gift cards with target gift cards in store?

So if you spend $25 on other stuff you can buy disney gift cards with target gift cards in store?
I am thinking if you buy $25 in other stuff you could, but if you wanted to buy $100 of gift cards, you would have to buy $100 of other stuff as well.

I am thinking if you buy $25 in other stuff you could, but if you wanted to buy $100 of gift cards, you would have to buy $100 of other stuff as well.
This is getting confusing. Your gift card purchases have to be completely paid for by cash/card/etc. (i.e., not with a target gift card).

Examples: Buy $25 gift card, $75 in merchandise—can use up to $75 in gift cards to pay.

Buy $50 gift card, $50 in merchandise—can use up to $50 in gift cards to pay.

No. There are no more Target GC -> Disney GC purchases permitted. You can have a $25 Disney GC and $25 worth of stuff at check out and pay with a combination of a $25 Target GC and $25 in some other form of payment (cash, credit, debit, check). But the portion of the payment with the GC will cover the stuff and not the Disney GC,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter