Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went backwards through the thread from 2:30-3:30 and couldn't find one or two specific best tactics to get me started. Since everyone posting seams kinda seasoned, can someone summarize the best deals for me (and anyone else new to this) that you can get now (within a month or so, not like today only)? This is all on maximizing gift card dollars per dollar spend.

1) Best way to maximize, same day, without a specific credit card? So if I were to go out right now and commit 2 hours to bouncing around and bringing up the value of my Disney dollar (I'm in Orlando btw), how would I do that?

2) Best credit card to help maximize gift card value?

3) Best place to buy in bulk (I have a Costco card but I don't think that they have a deal for Disney cards)?

4) Best way, no restrictions, to get the most % back from your gift card purchases?

I'm sure there's other ways to break it up, but this should help to start. Also, if you could either explain your short hand or not use it, it'll save me from coming on later and asking you what BBY (and the like) means lol.

Thanks y'all in advance.

I don't see really short and tidy answers for you. You are asking specific questions that can be explained better by research and I recommend you start here:
https://pointstoneverland.com/

• Costco is not useful but having a Sam's and BJ's memberships are.
  • Joining Cash Back Portals are very important: SwagBucks (SB), Dosh, Chase, American Express & more
  • Stores we work with include: Target, Best Buy (BB), Home Depot & Lowe's & more
  • We also use grocery stores so you'll need to stay on top of what yours are offering.
Do your research and then post questions, we're here to help. BTW, :welcome: to the DIS and thanks for posting here first! :thumbsup2

Last edited:
I went backwards through the thread from 2:30-3:30 and couldn't find one or two specific best tactics to get me started. Since everyone posting seams kinda seasoned, can someone summarize the best deals for me (and anyone else new to this) that you can get now (within a month or so, not like today only)? This is all on maximizing gift card dollars per dollar spend.

1) Best way to maximize, same day, without a specific credit card? So if I were to go out right now and commit 2 hours to bouncing around and bringing up the value of my Disney dollar (I'm in Orlando btw), how would I do that?

3) Best place to buy in bulk (I have a Costco card but I don't think that they have a deal for Disney cards)?

4) Best way, no restrictions, to get the most % back from your gift card purchases?

I'm sure there's other ways to break it up, but this should help to start. Also, if you could either explain your short hand or not use it, it'll save me from coming on later and asking you what BBY (and the like) means lol.

Thanks y'all in advance.

Well, I think @FoxC63 is right that there's a lot going on here, and no one or two right answers. But I'll try on a few of them

1) Same day sure-thing maximization would probably be through Swagbucks (SB) at Best Buy (BB). Go to the SB website (not app) and generate the single use code (print out or save on your phone), then go to Best Buy, scan your code when you buy $100 in Disney gift cards. You'll get 750 bonus SB worth $7.50, which might take a month or so to credit. You will also get the shop and earn SB, which is currently 2%. So you'll get $9.50 on the $100 purchase. The catch is you can only do this once per day. So while it's pretty much a sure thing, you can't turn large amounts quickly. Some people give themselves a few weeks, and do the deal daily if they know they've got a payment deadline coming up.

2) This is too variable. There is a whole thread on credit cards. Targeted offers are where people are best able to maximize their money, but there's no way to predict which card will get which offer. Some people will have 4 different Chase cards, and only get the 30% off at Staples offer on one of them. You might look at a credit card like Discover that offers rotating categories each quarter, so you can add an extra 5% (or whatever) to the deals you already do at grocery stores, warehouse stores, etc. It's a good way to stack, but can also be helpful on its own.

3) Some people have reported good success at BJs buying in bulk. Usually BJs sells Disney GCs for about 4% off, but sometimes has sales, allowing people to buy gift cards at 8% off. Some people who bought a lot of GCs during that sale have reported BJs sending them emails offering to allow them to buy in bulk for a similar discount. Again, it seems to be targeted, and I don't know how much someone would need to buy to get the discount. If you're really interested, you might do some research, and see if you can make contact with the right department at BJs and see if you can get in on it.

4) Without restrictions or limitations, Target will give you 5% back if you use the Redcard, either debit or credit. It's not the biggest discount, but it's reliable and can be done in large denominations quickly.

5) It doesn't fall in to the categories you've asked, but most of the chatter on here is focused on time-sensitive specific deals that offer more than the 5-10% you can get though the standbys listed above. Many of us use Retail Me Not (RMN) that is a cash-back portal that sometimes has deals with 10-20% from certain retailers. Officially, most of the deals exclude gift cards, so if it doesn't track, there's nothing you can do about it. When I bought $75 from Shop Disney, it should have credited me $10, but didn't. Many others had it work, and another poster who did the deal 3 times had two work and one fail (the failed one was on the same date I did mine). However, I just bought $100 at Staples, and the $20 cash back is pending - hopefully it will credit. Both of those deals are over, and we're waiting on the next. Both risk and rewards are greater on these types of deals.

People also look at ways other than straight cash back to make money for Disney. For example, I've been able to purchase GCs at my grocery store and get 20% back, not in cash but in groceries. So I buy $100 in gift cards, $20 worth of food, and pay $100. It's not cash back, but I need to buy food anyway, so to me it's as useful as cash back. Others get gas points (sometimes with offers of 5x or 10x points with gift card purchases), and use the discounted gas to fill their tanks, even bringing gas cans to the pump to make sure they get the whole 20 gallons allowed.

Last edited:
Well, I think @FoxC63 is right that there's a lot goin on here, and no one or two right answers. But I'll try on a few of them

1) Same day sure-thing maximization would probably be through Swagbucks (SB) at Best Buy (BB). Go to the SB website (not app) and generate the single use code (print out or save on your phone), then go to Best Buy, scan your code when you buy $100 in Disney gift cards. You'll get 750 bonus SB worth $7.50, which might take a month or so to credit. You will also get the shop and earn SB, which is currently 2%. So you'll get $9.50 on the $100 purchase. The catch is you can only do this once per day. So while it's pretty much a sure thing, you can't turn large amounts quickly. Some people give themselves a few weeks, and do the deal daily if they know they've got a payment deadline coming up.

2) This is too variable. There is a whole thread on credit cards. Targeted offers are where people are best able to maximize their money, but there's no way to predict which card will get which offer. Some people will have 4 different Chase cards, and only get the 30% off at Staples offer on one of them. You might look at a credit card like Discover that offers rotating categories each quarter, so you can add an extra 5% (or whatever) to the deals you already do at grocery stores, warehouse stores, etc. It's a good way to stack, but can also be helpful on its own.

3) Some people have reported good success at BJs buying in bulk. Usually BJs sells Disney GCs for about 4% off, but sometimes has sales, allowing people to buy gift cards at 8% off. Some people who bought a lot of GCs during that sale have reported BJs sending them emails offering to allow them to buy in bulk for a similar discount. Again, it seems to be targeted, and I don't know how much someone would need to buy to get the discount. If you're really interested, you might do some research, and see if you can make contact with the right department at BJs and see if you can get in on it.

4) Without restrictions or limitations, Target will give you 5% back if you use the Redcard, either debit or credit. It's not the biggest discount, but it's reliable and can be done in large denominations quickly.

5) It doesn't fall in to the categories you've asked, but most of the chatter on here is focused on time-sensitive specific deals that offer more than the 5-10% you can get though the standbys listed above. Many of use use Retail Me Not (RMN) that is a cash-back portal that sometimes has deals with 10-20% from certain retailers. Officially, most of the deals exclude gift cards, so if it doesn't track, there's nothing you can do about it. When I bought $75 from Shop Disney, it should have credited me $10, but didn't. Many others had it work, and another poster who did the deal 3 times had two work and one fail (the failed on was on the same date I did mine). However, I just bought $100 at Staples, and the $20 cash back is pending - hopefully it will credit. Both of those deals are over, and we're waiting on the next. Both risk and rewards are greater on these types of deals.

People also look at ways other than straight cash back to make money for Disney. For example, I've been able to purchase GCs at my grocery store and get 20% back, not in cash but in groceries. So I buy $100 in gift cards, $20 worth of food, and pay $100. It's not cash back, but I need to buy food anyway, so to me it's as useful as cash back. Others get gas points (sometimes with offers of 5x or 10x points with gift card purchases), and use the discounted gas to fill their tanks, even bringing gas cans to the pump to make sure they get the whole 20 gallons allowed.
This is all really good info, as is the post before it. It really pays to have accounts set up well in advance with the cash back portals, linked to appropriate cards and Paypal accounts. The $20 cash back for $90 online purchase at Staples just a few days ago was a phenomenal deal, especially when paired with a Chase Ink Preferred card, and multiplied if your family members also have their own accounts. (And I did it from home, in my pajamas, just like the old days!) . But that Retailmenot offer only lasted 24 hours, maybe less, so you need to be ready in advance.

This is all really good info, as is the post before it. It really pays to have accounts set up well in advance with the cash back portals, linked to appropriate cards and Paypal accounts. The $20 cash back for $90 online purchase at Staples just a few days ago was a phenomenal deal, especially when paired with a Chase Ink Preferred card, and multiplied if your family members also have their own accounts. (And I did it from home, in my pajamas, just like the old days!) . But that Retailmenot offer only lasted 24 hours, maybe less, so you need to be ready in advance.

Yes, it was the best we've seen in a long time. Now that it's pending, I'm kicking myself for only doing it once. But I'd just been burned on a Shop Disney buy not crediting, so I was feeling risk averse. Gotta be ready to pounce when a good one comes along!

@Edward Freda, you will need to decide on your own comfort level where risk and reward are concerned. Few of the really good deals are sure things. Most of the sure things are only okay in terms of savings. The best results usually come when you're able to stack a few methods together, but I'll confess I kind of suck at that because I don't have credit cards that have good rewards.

Has anyone bought more than one HG cards during the sale? The terms officially say one per family, but how would they know?
I have several office Max/Depot stores near me so I could go to several today before the sale ends and churn them at HD over the next month if need be.
Don't want to miss out if I can get more than one.

Has anyone bought more than one HG cards during the sale? The terms officially say one per family, but how would they know?
I have several office Max/Depot stores near me so I could go to several today before the sale ends and churn them at HD over the next month if need be.

No OD/OM near me, but if you're near a second one, it couldn't hurt to try. You could probably even hit the first store later in the day and do the transaction again.

Depends on the cashier. One store I bought 2, one after the other, no problem with my OD/OM ID (phone number). The next store (10 mins away) she put in my OD/OM phone number and it went through, then I purchased the second HG (B2B), she put in my phone number and it rejected it. So she went back, deleted my phone number and it went through. So 4 HG in about 20 minutes at 2 different stores. I didn't push it more than 2.

Well, I think @FoxC63 is right that there's a lot going on here, and no one or two right answers. But I'll try on a few of them

5) It doesn't fall in to the categories you've asked, but most of the chatter on here is focused on time-sensitive specific deals that offer more than the 5-10% you can get though the standbys listed above. Many of us use Retail Me Not (RMN) that is a cash-back portal that sometimes has deals with 10-20% from certain retailers. Officially, most of the deals exclude gift cards, so if it doesn't track, there's nothing you can do about it. When I bought $75 from Shop Disney, it should have credited me $10, but didn't. Many others had it work, and another poster who did the deal 3 times had two work and one fail (the failed one was on the same date I did mine). However, I just bought $100 at Staples, and the $20 cash back is pending - hopefully it will credit. Both of those deals are over, and we're waiting on the next. Both risk and rewards are greater on these types of deals.

THANK-YOU! This is amazing info and exactly what I was looking for in terms of how to get started with this, as well as understanding the forum.

I feel like this should be pinned somewhere.

Does Target sell Best Buy gift cards? Thinking of buying them there with red card discount and then using them to buy Disney GCs.

Thanks y'all in advance.

To add on to what others have said, most of the larger discounts require advance planning and a long period of time. If you want a quick savings, you are probably going to be limited to around 5% savings, in which case depending on what you are using the Disney gift cards for, it might not even be worth the effort. You can usually get 2 - 4% savings on hotels and Disney tickets at undercovertourist without having to do any work at all.

For long term planning, I would suggest getting an Amex card for Amex offers. Most of the better ones recently have been on business cards and you can sign up for a business card as a sole proprietorship. If you ever sold an item on ebay, you are a business; if you ever had a garage sale, you are a business.

If doing this, I would suggest the Amex SimplyCash which gets 5% back at Office Supplies Stores.

Many people were buying Happy Lady cards and then using ebates with the happy lady at BBB to buy Disney or other gift cards.
I don't have a BB&B in my town, so I haven't paid much attention to using the Happy Lady cards with ebates. Do you know if ebates or BB&B impose limits on the amount of gift cards you can purchase in a single visit, or if there are any other hassles with redeeming the Happy Lady cards for gift cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter