Disney Genie announcement

While limiting LL to once per day per attraction is a step back overall, I can't help but think that this is the way FP should have been all along. Once per day would have kept FP supplies more plentiful later into the day. If they had implemented this restriction from the start, I think most would accept it as 'reasonable,' since those who wanted to ride multiple times a day were already used to queuing up in standby multiple times.

I've also realized that I've been thinking about MaxPass and Genie+ all wrong. While Genie+ might *operate* the same way (or very similar) as MaxPass did, the value proposition is quite different. For MaxPass we were buying access to electronic FP. In other words, we already had access to paper fastpass; MaxPass was simply to allow access to FP on the phone. Even then I found the 15 dollars per day to be well worth it (in attraction rich Disneyland and nearby C. Adventure).

So now with Genie+ the price is still 15 dollars per day, but I'm not merely upgrading to electronic access, Genie+ is buying access too. Without MaxPass, guests could still access paper fastpass. Without Genie+, guests can't. I keep missing this difference.

According to Molly At All Ears’s video, “stacking” will work differently than it did with Maxpass (as I understand it; never been to DLR). She says that, if you book a ride, and the return time that they give you is more than two hours away, you can turn around and book another LL for a different ride right away. As I understand it, with Maxpass, you had to wait until the expiration of the “cooling off” period—120 minutes here, though I think it was 90 minutes for Maxpass—before you could book another LL (formerly FP+). Any confirmation of that? Is it possible that Mollly is confused or misinformed? And if she’s right, how does that change optimal strategy?

To join ....)

Hopefully, this is the right board for this topic but I was thinking that with this new project, Disney obviously wants it to be a success because it is already getting a lot of bad reactions.

I think one way to encourage people to sign up for Genie + is to “randomly“ give people pixie dust through the app. Magically you get a message in the app that you just won a free Mickey bar, an additional repeat ride, or 15% off your next souvenir. People would go crazy over getting notifications and it wouldn’t cost Disney that much money to throw little things here and there to keep their guests happy. Plus, since they already know how much you are spending thanks to your magic band then they can give more out to their big spenders.

What do you guys think? Would you sign up knowing that you would receive free discounts/additional rides?
No. But then, I don't play the lottery, either.

While limiting LL to once per day per attraction is a step back overall, I can't help but think that this is the way FP should have been all along. Once per day would have kept FP supplies more plentiful later into the day. If they had implemented this restriction from the start, I think most would accept it as 'reasonable,' since those who wanted to ride multiple times a day were already used to queuing up in standby multiple times.

I've also realized that I've been thinking about MaxPass and Genie+ all wrong. While Genie+ might *operate* the same way (or very similar) as MaxPass did, the value proposition is quite different. For MaxPass we were buying access to electronic FP. In other words, we already had access to paper fastpass; MaxPass was simply to allow access to FP on the phone. Even then I found the 15 dollars per day to be well worth it (in attraction rich Disneyland and nearby C. Adventure).

So now with Genie+ the price is still 15 dollars per day, but I'm not merely upgrading to electronic access, Genie+ is buying access too. Without MaxPass, guests could still access paper fastpass. Without Genie+, guests can't. I keep missing this difference.
Psst...Genie+ is $15/day at WDW. It will be $20/day at DLR.

According to Molly At All Ears’s video, “stacking” will work differently than it did with Maxpass (as I understand it; never been to DLR). She says that, if you book a ride, and the return time that they give you is more than two hours away, you can turn around and book another LL for a different ride right away. As I understand it, with Maxpass, you had to wait until the expiration of the “cooling off” period—120 minutes here, though I think it was 90 minutes for Maxpass—before you could book another LL (formerly FP+). Any confirmation of that? Is it possible that Mollly is confused or misinformed? And if she’s right, how does that change optimal strategy?
Even before seeing you quote Molly, I had seen contradictory reports of how the 120-minute rule will work. I believe one of the problems is that Disney has not put "the rules" of how it will all work in writing anywhere official.

Strategically I would attempt to make 1st LL for at minimum 2 hours going forward so that you can book a second attraction prior to that. My guess is what will happen is that people will want to book high interest rides and then as people arrive and attempt to book SDD for example will keep pushing back to later on the day. If you get one for 3pm then at least you have one, then you have time to work the rest of the not as popular rides before that.

what I worry about is if I pay for Genie + and then it ends up being a race to grab a time and end op not having any availability to ride something like SDD then that would really stink. Is this new G+ going to be like getting a BG all day long? Hopefully not as that will make most people stressed and therefore makes the system not what it is intended to be, something to manage crowds and wait times.

I saw yesterday where they have changed the name of IA$ (they must have seen all of the ridicule on this thread about the resulting acronym and use of a dollar sign in it). So they've changed the name to Individual Lightning Lane... when you see the price it will make you ILL !

You can't make this stuff up. :rotfl2:

That is why I've switched to ILL, but adding ILL$$$.

Even before seeing you quote Molly, I had seen contradictory reports of how the 120-minute rule will work. I believe one of the problems is that Disney has not put "the rules" of how it will all work in writing anywhere official.

They never really published official rules for Maxpass either. People just had to figure out the nuances of the system through trial and error.

Strategically I would attempt to make 1st LL for at minimum 2 hours going forward so that you can book a second attraction prior to that. My guess is what will happen is that people will want to book high interest rides and then as people arrive and attempt to book SDD for example will keep pushing back to later on the day. If you get one for 3pm then at least you have one, then you have time to work the rest of the not as popular rides before that.

what I worry about is if I pay for Genie + and then it ends up being a race to grab a time and end op not having any availability to ride something like SDD then that would really stink. Is this new G+ going to be like getting a BG all day long? Hopefully not as that will make most people stressed and therefore makes the system not what it is intended to be, something to manage crowds and wait times.
If the rule is simply that you can book another Genie+ pass as long as your next one is more than 120 minutes away, you could theoretically book one for each hour of the day (if they allow only one per hour; MaxPass had no such rule, although Fastpass+ did) before 7:30 in the morning. MaxPass let you stack more than two fastpasses. If true, the rush to book your fastpasses 60 days before your resort check-in will be nothing compared to how this will work!

If the rule is simply that you can book another Genie+ pass as long as your next one is more than 120 minutes away, you could theoretically book one for each hour of the day (if they allow only one per hour; MaxPass had no such rule, although Fastpass+ did) before 7:30 in the morning. MaxPass let you stack more than two fastpasses. If true, the rush to book your fastpasses 60 days before your resort check-in will be nothing compared to how this will work!
I think you may be interpreting it differently. Its not (at least MP wasn't) 2 hours in the future. Its 2 hours after making your last LL. So if you make one at 7 for 1pm, you could then make another one at 9.

I like this except for Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom there is no extra evening magic hours.
There is morning but some people don't rope drop.(Us) lol

So if you don't rope drop is Epcot and AK worth getting genie+?
I thought that SDD was not part of Genie +

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter