Disney Genie announcement

All Ears is reporting that Genie+ will only allow you to ride a ride 1 time per day in the Lightning Lane.
I don't know if I can link them here but here the quote I got from their article:

"...But, during a special preview event today, a Cast Member shared with us guests will NOT be able to re-ride attractions with Genie+.
This means that guests using Disney Genie+ will only be able to “skip that line” at each attraction once per day. Of course, you can still re-ride attractions, you’ll just need to hop into the standby line instead for the second (or third) go around. ..."

If that's true it drastically reduce the appeal of G+ to me,

I think you’re a few days late to the discussion. This news has been a popular topic for at least the last 4 days! 🤪

The rollout doesn’t have to create chaos because it might not require anybody to do anything.

Anyone who doesn‘t know anything about Genie and/or isn’t going to pay extra for Genie+ or IAS attractions should be able to go about the day just as they would otherwise.

If the parks aren’t too crowded, and not that many guests pay for the extras, the standby waits might not be affected that much.

It will be interesting to see what kind of notice they send out.

I’ll never receive the notice even if they send one (didn’t get the ROTR change notice last year (no GET would believe me) and we arrived in the park looking shell shocked after seeing BGs gone). So I’ll keep stalking these boards for updates. I hadn’t checked for just 2 days while we were in the parks.

I'd guess that once the date for Genie has been established, Disney will be mass e-mailing guests with reservations explaining the process. So I think it's just a waiting game until someone actually gets some hard and fast information.

I wonder if the number of people stalking Disney forums has gone up recently?
People coming to see if there is news.

It will be interesting to see Disney's bottom line profits adding LL Genie+. Fastpass was implemented so that Disney could make more money off of their guests. The philosophy behind it was instead of standing in a line, they could shop and eat. Now with having to pay $15 per person plus an additional $5 to possibly $25 per person for E ticket rides, just how much does Disney expect the guests to continue spending on souvenirs and food? There's a breaking point for most people.

Edited to fix Genie price

And they likely just hit it for me (and doubly so if the rumor is true that Genie+ will only allow a single time per ride). It's basically an announcement to me that I now need to spend $500+ extra for my trip with a guarantee that I'll be standing in line hours more than I previously had on past trips while having to micromanage what parks and rides I want to do in what order to even have a chance to be able to get a reservation for some rides and having no control whatsoever on what I'm given. Just bought my first annual pass to Universal a couple weeks ago . . . I have a feeling I'm not the only one taking that route.

No doubt this will add to their bottom line - they'll now just focused solely on the low information, high money spending crowd who will just shell out whatever they need to and just go whereever Disney tells them to go and not the experienced Disney visitor who knows what they want to do and how they'd prefer to do it. How anyone thinks anything they're doing increases the ability to be spontaneous and increases flexibility is completely beyond me. Great - I don't have to plan three rides per day a month in advance . . . now I just have to commit to my park sometimes months in advance and be up at 7 am each morning hoping I don't have make a split second decision whether I want the 1 pm return time they're sticking me with or whether I should skip that to try to find an earlier time on something else (oops - spend 10 seconds trying to think about it so now I'm locked out of the first option . . .). For me - barring some major changes from what we're hearing - they've just made the park experience far far more stressful and less flexible. [Yes - you can always just do standby . . . as you could have under the old system . . . and I'm not going to a park where that's what I'll be forced to do unless I just accept whatever they choose to send me to so they can benefit at my expense.]

I'd guess that once the date for Genie has been established, Disney will be mass e-mailing guests with reservations explaining the process. So I think it's just a waiting game until someone actually gets some hard and fast information.

I had reservations to HS last Nov 2nd or 3rd. Oct 31 they changed ROTR boarding group process. We were in the parks with 3 kids, so I didn’t check the ROTR part of the app; and didn’t check disboards (I had practiced diligently everyday leading up to the trip); never got any notification. I went back and checked my junk folder, push notifications, emails; nothing.

The other weird thing was I couldn’t place a mobile order at the milk stand, despite COVID restrictions the CM took my phone and tried before believing me. The worst part was GET looked at me as if I was making this stuff up. This May I believe I figured out that my tickets were grayed out at midnight and I couldn’t look for dining. emailed guest services, they couldn’t care less and said they see notifications are turned on and I’m set to receive notifications. Timon: why do I bother!

Disney Visa card also doesn’t get stored (I have to check blogs for resort offer links), so be careful if you have any of these issues-keep checking these boards for updates.

I had reservations to HS last Nov 2nd or 3rd. Oct 31 they changed ROTR boarding group process. We were in the parks with 3 kids, so I didn’t check the ROTR part of the app; and didn’t check disboards (I had practiced diligently everyday leading up to the trip); never got any notification. I went back and checked my junk folder, push notifications, emails; nothing.

The other weird thing was I couldn’t place a mobile order at the milk stand, despite COVID restrictions the CM took my phone and tried before believing me. The worst part was GET looked at me as if I was making this stuff up. This May I believe I figured out that my tickets were grayed out at midnight and I couldn’t look for dining. emailed guest services, they couldn’t care less and said they see notifications are turned on and I’m set to receive notifications. Timon: why do I bother!

Disney Visa card also doesn’t get stored (I have to check blogs for resort offer links), so be careful if you have any of these issues-keep checking these boards for updates.
I have always had the issue with payment card not getting stored.

Yes but the difference being Genie will be a paid feature, not a "free" ride. So I'm still betting that those people with reservations on/around the release date will be notified (so they can bring extra cash!)

All Ears is reporting that Genie+ will only allow you to ride a ride 1 time per day in the Lightning Lane.
I don't know if I can link them here but here the quote I got from their article:

"...But, during a special preview event today, a Cast Member shared with us guests will NOT be able to re-ride attractions with Genie+.
This means that guests using Disney Genie+ will only be able to “skip that line” at each attraction once per day. Of course, you can still re-ride attractions, you’ll just need to hop into the standby line instead for the second (or third) go around. ..."

I guess I'm also late as I missed this piece earlier. I truly don't understand the concept behind this.
If I'm willing to pay $15 a day for this, what difference does it make as to which rides I try and use if for?
Hopefully they get a lot of feedback quickly about this and change it. I would at least like to see it as FP+ where I could get a FP (in this case a LL) for whatever rides were still available.

Disney has a way of making you feel like you’re asking too much nowadays. I forgot I was actually a $$$$ sign in this regard.

And judging from Disneyland where there are multiple reports their AP holders not being able to get reservations for weeks at a time or weekends for months in advance - it's clear they're willing to jack up prices for everything while making major miscalculations on what they can deliver. (And the fact that they've blocked out AP holders there on days that they're still selling tickets to day guests is the perfect summary of their approach to everything now). All that's left now is for another Disney media blitz on how all of these limitations and price increases they're imposing are actually major improvements in the guest experience . . .

I am most fascinated to see how this goes down at Disneyland where they spent 2 years training the general public to get used to MP. You could ride as many times as you wanted if FP were available, the more popular the attraction the longer you had to wait before you could pull another FP... I know this is a totally different system than MP but it will feel very similar so I think the limitations will stand out more.

Unless you’re a DLR AP holder apparently. If you can’t get into the parks no need to worry about G+ 🙄

I’m ok Training if they’d give us free genie+ to try out.
Disneyland didn’t even give out refunds when they introduced MP and it died on people for hours on end. The only reason G+ would be free for training to the general public would be if IT screws up the payment systems 😆

And judging from Disneyland where there are multiple reports their AP holders not being able to get reservations for weeks at a time or weekends for months in advance - it's clear they're willing to jack up prices for everything while making major miscalculations on what they can deliver. (And the fact that they've blocked out AP holders there on days that they're still selling tickets to day guests is the perfect summary of their approach to everything now). All that's left now is for another Disney media blitz on how all of these limitations and price increases they're imposing are actually major improvements in the guest experience . . .
:offtopic:... Woah that AP situation in DLR is a hot mess! There’s news articles on it it’s so bad. Idiotic to create so many different buckets. At least at WDW you have AP reservations available, or not. None of these buckets within AP buckets.

Disneyland didn’t even give out refunds when they introduced MP and it died on people for hours on end. The only reason G+ would be free for training to the general public would be if IT screws up the payment systems 😆

So should I hope that my IT issues with my Disney Visa card not getting stored will actually be fixed after all these years!

But I didn’t even get the prebooking offer for Galactic Starcruiser…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter