• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Food Pictures...Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think that I am quite adventurous when it comes to trying new food. How would you describe the Boar? Is it more like beef or pork?

More like beef. Texture is similar to seared/raw tuna. There is no hint that a boar is related to a pig as far as the flavor & texture are concerned. AP cooks it medium rare. I remember thinking the texture was silky. I know that's an odd way to describe meat, but that's what came to mind. It wasn't gamy at all.

I wish they had a Buffet with all those "Different meals"" along with normal stuff so I could try it !!! I am such a chicken:lmao:

More like beef. Texture is similar to seared/raw tuna. There is no hint that a boar is related to a pig as far as the flavor & texture are concerned. AP cooks it medium rare. I remember thinking the texture was silky. I know that's an odd way to describe meat, but that's what came to mind. It wasn't gamy at all.

Thank so much for sharing this with me. Someday, I would like to try it because your description of the boar sounds so wonderfully delicious.

Thank so much for sharing this with me. Someday, I would like to try it because your description of the boar sounds so wonderfully delicious.

Glad to help! Here are some Jiko pics for ya....

Jiko, entrees

Seared Ahi Tuna
81609066.jpg

Served with fresh hearts of palm, tuna tartare, and charred red onion vinaigrette. - $36.00
If you like spicy, then this is the dish for you! It was really spicy to me, & I enjoy spicy food. Personally, I think too much spice kills the delicate flavor of tuna, but that's just me. It was still good.

Oak-grilled Filet Mignon
81609064.jpg

Served with Macaroni & cheese and red wine sauce. - $39.00
I didn't get to try this, so I can't say if it was good or not.

Barbecue Beef Short Ribs
81609062.jpg

Served with crushed potatoes and onion garlic sauce. - $32.00
The sauce was sweet, but not overpweringly so. I really enjoyed this. The meat was fork-tender.

Maize Crusted Pacific Halibut (this was my order)
81609061.jpg

Served with veggies of the moment, tomato-butter sauce. - $36.00
Holy cow, this sauce was to DIE for. I don't usually like "stuff" on my fish, but it helped this time! The maize crust wasn't overpowering, but then again, the halibut has a stronger flavor (I'd never had it before).

Roasted Lamb Loin
81609063.jpg

With herbed cous cous, figs, sun-dried cherries and red curry sauce $34.00
I tried a tiny bite of this. The sauce was good, as was the cous cous. I remember DH saying the lamb was a little tough, but he enjoyed it.

Grilled Swordfish
81609067.jpg

With Crisp Mealie Pap, Roasted Brussel Sprouts, and Cilantro-red Curry Sauce $36.99
Another dish I didn't get to take a taste of. :sad1:

Desserts to come later! Jiko was the best meal we had all week, and everyone thanked me after dinner for making that reservation. But I have to give credit where credit is due, it was the DIS that made me choose Jiko!

MINI REVIEW WITH PICTURES!

Where: Disney's Polynesian Resort
When: 2 days ago... Sept 4th 2009
What: Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show

First the review...
I read a lot of mixed reviews. I expected a Hawaiian version of the Hoop De Doo Review, and in a way it was.

The Bad. I have to admit a serious pet peeve here. I'm no Hawaiian history buff by any means, but I feel pretty dang sure that juices are more traditional beverages in Hawaii than beer and wine. I can't help but think there were Hawaiians drinking pineapple juice LONG before beer and wine. It's sad that you can order beer and wine on the DDP, but you absolutely can NOT order ANY kind of juice. Sorry, but that's just not right.:mad:
I'm not a soda fan (even though I do, as my sig states, like Beverly in Club Cool) and I'm not an alcohol drinker. My choices were tea, coffee, milk, or soda. I felt RIPPED OFF. I'm sure that beer costs more than a glass of pineapple or orange juice, so the cost is not a factor. I had to drink iced coffee, which, mind you, was VERY good, but it wasn't what I had hoped for. I'm a juice fanatic. I drank juice all week.The iced coffee was still pretty good. I added about 5 packs of sugar and half the little cup full of creamer, and it was quite tasty actually, but I still just think some type of juice should have been offered for a Hawaiian Luau!!!
OK moving along... the food (all of it) was REALLY GOOD!!! The pineapple chunks were not completely ripe. They almost tasted green, and a bit crunchier than most we buy, but were still pretty good. (Maybe a different kind or region thing???:confused3)
The ribs were AMAZING!!! It was fall off the bone goodness. They were different than the ribs at Flametree, which is my single favorite restaurant (CS) in all of Disney, but they were almost better. They were softer meat, and as before, it fell off the bone into your mouth. (Where is that droolin smiley we all keep asking for???)
The chicken tasted a LOT like the rotisserie chicken you get at Sams Club and Costco. It was really good. The bread was great. The salad was "OK" as well. The mixed veges were tasty, but just average. Nothing bad, and nothing spectacular. The rice was rice. Not much different than any other rice. It was good and plentiful, as everything was. The server was fast, and he kept our trays piled high. We never went wanting for anything (Other than a nice tall cold glass of pineapple juice that would have fit the bill much nicer than iced coffee.....:laughing:)
I'll have to disagree with a recent review that said the dessert was nasty. I thought it was AWESOME! It tasted really different, and I like different. It was "wet". Wet was good.

First the ambiance/show pictures!:cool1: (The best part of the meal was the show of course!)
P9040197.jpg

P9040198.jpg

P9040199.jpg

The children are called up at one point to learn Hula dancing. Our DD is in there somewhere.

P9040200.jpg

The 1st course: salad, pineapple chunks, and bread.

P9040192.jpg

P9040193.jpg

The second course: chicken, ribs, mixed vegetables, and rice.

P9040195.jpg

P9040194.jpg

P9040196.jpg

The dessert:

P9040207.jpg

A bit closer... the camera lightened the colors. They looked darker in real life.

P9040206.jpg

And more show pictures!

P9040208.jpg

P9040212.jpg

After the show you can relax HERE!!!!:thumbsup2:cool1::cool1::thumbsup2
(The beach of Poly...) You'll need to with your waist 3 sizes bigger.:lmao:

P9040218.jpg

Sorry, I didn't get any good fire pictures. there's a big headed jerk in the lower right of one of the first pictures. His wife stood up in front of us and blocked my DW &DDs first 5 minutes of the show till we all yelled at her to sit down. He then grabbed the camcorder and held it up so we all had to watch the show around his high resolution, super bright (remember it's dark where your sitting) large screen camcorder. I yelled a few words at the jerk, and my wife stopped me from a full confrontation. I was ready to show him an NC attitude up close and personal. People can be so rude and inconsiderate.:mad: That's why there were no flame pictures. We had spent the last 10 minutes trying to get this one inconsiderate family to respect those sitting behind them. I didn't want to do the same to those behind us (which were a super nice family from Lebanon who we chatted with throughout the entire show). They were really nice people, and I didn't want to block their view the way "Mr Inconsiderate" was blocking ours.

Thanks for the amazing photos of the luau and the food served there. I've always wondered about it but never had a good idea of what was offered there...

And sorry about the rude and inconsiderate guests near you -- it really can ruin a show, parade, or ride when people block your view or flash light in your eyes...:sad2:

SelfEmployedDebtFree-Thanks for the review. Your pictures are great!

Allears menu says that there are tropical beverages at the luau. Sounds like that has changed according to your post since you couldn't get pineapple juice?

Allears menu says that there are tropical beverages at the luau. Sounds like that has changed according to your post since you couldn't get pineapple juice?
I could have paid out of pocket for juice, but after a week of suggested 20% tipping, I didn't want to, and since it was our last night, and we had already spent all the cash we brought, it was a good thing it was included in with this meal.:happytv:
But that is another good part to this meal... tip is included on the dining plan.:thumbsup2
(I hope everything I just said was in DIS guidelines. I tried to stick to just the facts.)
Glad you enjoyed the photos! They were taken in CUISINE setting by my favorite all time vacation camera; Olympus Stylus 410.
MY COMMERCIAL FOR THIS CAMERA:
Since discontinued, I scored mine on ebay for $50 and another one for my son on Craigslist used for $35. Its water resistant, it's almost water proof (but not quite), it dont open in your pocket, so it can NOT come on in your pocket, (saves your battery), the lens is protected by a large thick hard plastic shield (not some flemsy eyelids) and it takes amazing photos! You can even upgrade them to a full waterproof case for scuba. I've used mine for years taking literally thousands of photos for online sales as well.
The cuisine setting works great! I tried experimenting with it in CUISINE vs standard mode, and the CUISINE mode really does look better for food. So if your in the market for a good food thread camera, this is the one I'll recommend for the budget minded.

OK back to the food. Sorry...

Polynesian: Captn Cooks.

We ordered 4 orders of the Tonga Toast with bacon, Which wasn't the smartest thing by any means. The new (horrible) changes to the DDP dictate that you can ONLY get 2 drinks with a breakfast. Personally, I think that's a bit stupid. Who orders 2 drinks with their breakfasts???:confused3:confused3
What we SHOULD have done was ordered 2 orders for the 4 of us, and split them 50/50. We each would have had a drink, a couple slices of bacon, and half a Tonga Toast. Believe me... half is ENOUGH!!! All the pictures here don't show the true size of the monsters we received!!! Those Tongas were almost 4" tall!!!:scared1: (You expect me to eat ALL OF THAT???:scared1:):rotfl2:

The poly is a beautiful resort. I've said before that the Grand Floridian does nothing for me, but the Poly... now that's another story. Its on my list of places to stay later on when we can afford it. We actually came over here from the Pop just for the Tonga Toast. We've heard so many rave reviews about it. It really was good. Almost too sweet though, but still awesome, and I highly recommend it.:thumbsup2
The pictures of these didn't turn out well. I think it was from the bright sun as we ate outside. So much for my rave reviews of my camera!!!:rotfl2:
We ordered 4, but they all looked the same for the most part, so we only took pictures of 2 of them.

P9030184.jpg

P9030185.jpg

You know... come to think of it... most of the time we found that 2 entrees was plenty for all 4 of us. We're not huge eaters. The next time we do the DDP we will probably simply use 2 CS for breakfast, and 2 CS for supper.

That would still leave the 4 TS for lunch. We always flip the TS and use it for lunch.
Mainly because we spend so much time in Epcot, and our tradition is to grab a CS meal, and eat while "holding down" our spot for Illuminations. It also makes for easier ADRs, and we're usually hungrier at lunch.

Does anyone have a picture of the lo mein kids' meal at Yak & Yeti? I know you can get it with fried rice, which is what DD would do. I need to see how big the meal is. Normally, DD is not a big eater. However, this is the type of food she has a jones for and if the meal is smallish, we might just want to spring for an adult meal like beef and broccoli.

So......Any pics? :)

Yummy sundae! Wish I could load some food pics for all of you...need to find the camera cord...I had it while on vacation!?! Now it seems to have vanished.

Here's a pic of the Stir Fried Beef and Broccoli with Jasmine Rice:

IMG_1194.jpg

This is the kids' lo mein:

IMG_1193.jpg

Here is the adult's lo mein with chicken:

IMG_1195.jpg

And what was left of the dumpling appetizer:

IMG_1183.jpg

All were insanely delicious!

Everything here was so good! Highly recommend Olivia's! :thumbsup2
The Bread:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip747.jpg

Shrimp and Grits:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip748.jpg

Mozzarella and Tomato Salad:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip749.jpg

Grilled New York Strip:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip750.jpg

Pork Chop
Shelbysbirthdaytrip751.jpg

New York Style Cheesecake:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip752.jpg

Key Lime Tart:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip753.jpg

Here's some of our breakfast plates. I actually forgot to take a lot of pictures at breakfast so we ate at other locations but I did not take pictures!

Crystal Palace:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip627.jpg

Shelbysbirthdaytrip628.jpg

Akershus: (our second plate forgot to take the first one!
Shelbysbirthdaytrip160.jpg

Hollywood and Vine Breakfast:
Kids Plate
Shelbysbirthdaytrip124.jpg

My Plate
Shelbysbirthdaytrip118.jpg

DH Plate:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip115.jpg

Cape May Cafe Breakfast:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip075.jpg

Crab Cakes: (well, my husband ate some of it before I took the picture!)
Shelbysbirthdaytrip656.jpg

Caesar Salad:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip657.jpg

New York Strip: One of the BEST steaks I ate on our trip!!:love:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip658.jpg

The Grand Sandwich:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip659.jpg

A Sweet Ending to Your Celebration... Dessert Sampler - Tiramisu, Chocolate Mousse, Key Lime Tart, and Lemon Cheesecake:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip661.jpg

Shelbysbirthdaytrip660.jpg

Here's some of our breakfast plates. I actually forgot to take a lot of pictures at breakfast so we ate at other locations but I did not take pictures!

Crystal Palace:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip627.jpg

Shelbysbirthdaytrip628.jpg

Akershus: (our second plate forgot to take the first one!
Shelbysbirthdaytrip160.jpg

Hollywood and Vine Breakfast:
Kids Plate
Shelbysbirthdaytrip124.jpg

My Plate
Shelbysbirthdaytrip118.jpg

DH Plate:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip115.jpg

Cape May Cafe Breakfast:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip075.jpg

Out of all those breakfasts, which was your favorite? Also, how was Akhersus princess storybook breakfast? we are thinking about going there.

Lump Crab Cakes:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip775.jpg

Pot Stickers:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip774.jpg

Polynesian Plate Lunch, Teriyaki Fried Steak with grilled pineapple salsa:
Husband and I got the same thing: (We did not care for it dinner is better there IMO)
Shelbysbirthdaytrip776.jpg

A Sweet Ending to Your Celebration... White Chocolate Cheesecake:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip778.jpg

Chocolate Fondue:
Shelbysbirthdaytrip779.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter