• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney finally sees huge abuse of the GAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Children who are not expected to live are another matter entirely. Their time is much more precious and they will never have the chance to experience life like the rest of us.

I was standing in the wheelchair access line for It's a Small world. In front of me was a family- a mother, a father, their pre-school aged daughter, and their son (18 months or so) who had Down Syndrome. My heart broke for this beautiful family who clearly were there to enjoy time with their son. The mother was wearing a shirt with bible verses on the back.

My mom asked about her shirt. The woman turned around, and said "Hi, I'm Kat and I have Stage 4 brain cancer. The doctors have told me that I will die soon, and nothing short of a miracle will change this, please pray for me".

Yes, it is truly heartbreaking when children fall ill with terminal illness, but here are two children who are going to be left without a mother before they even enter school. A husband who will not only be grieving his wife's death, but also having to advocate for services for his son with special needs.

That, honestly, is equally sad. I don't think you can say one human's time on earth is more precious or more deserving than another. Everyone is someone's family.

These statements contradict each other. The GAC is designed to allow for equal access to the attractions for people with disabilities. So you don't think that someone who is deaf should be seated somewhere with the reflective captioning? Or that someone who has vision issues should have a seating area near the front? :confused3

These are issues you can bring up, once you have waited in line, with the cast member. In general (yes with some of the show you have to hit the correct one that has the interpreter) they have the reflective captioning and seats in the front for every show.

And I've seen a lot of make a wish kids go up front' and I sure wouldn't want to trade positions with thos families.

Maybe not the mother of the year, but clearly doing better that you as my kids know how to behave properly in public despite their disabilities.

I'm withdrawing from this thread. I think I've made my opinions clear. Perhaps when I am back in Disney next month I will get myself a GAC and take my butt to the front of the line like the rest of the whiners since it seems to be the "in" thing to do.

Yes, it's not easy being a bad mother. I'll continue to educate my 2 and 4 year old non verbal sons to behave properly in public because of their disabilities. Thank you for those incredibly constructive words of wisdom. Whiner out.

I am going to admit that I did not read all of the posts here, so please forgive me if I'm repeating a point already made.
We went to Disneyland once and I saw at least 3 families abusing this. How do I know? They were taking turns riding in the wheelchair. Maybe they all coincidentally had a disability that required they only use the wheelchair part of the time, but I'll take the risk in assuming that these 3 families didn't. They would go to the front of the line every time.
My understanding is that it is harder to have guests wait at DL because of the way it's designed. I don't really know. However, I have a close friend that is a cast member at WDW and she sad most rides are designed where the GAC holder can wait off to the side (out of the sun) while the rest of the party waits in line.
A few years ago my sister broke her leg before her Disney trip one July. She rented a wheelchair but didn't get a GAC. She said that almost every ride she was taken to the front of the line to ride immediately with the people she was with. It seems that it may be easier for the CMs to just let those with GAC come in through and that is causing people to become tempted to abuse it.
Maybe if people with GAC CONSISTENTLY had to wait according to how the ride is designed then there would be less abuse? This would require the higher ups to back up these CMs instead of caving in if a guest complains.
Just my thoughts!
Rachel

I really hope there are changes to the GAC, and soon. Every day we saw so many people flash their cards, which they conveniently had on a lanyard around their neck, and then waltz into the FP line with their party of 8. It happened so much during out trip last month, over Christmas, that DH and I started referring to the GAC as "cheater cards". Sorry, but when 2 huge groups of people cut in front of us at the entrance to the FP line at BTMRR, flash their cheater cards at the CM and proceed to run up the queue, it is absolutely abuse. But hey, it's busy at Christmas! And little Suzie doesn't like crowds so she can't wait in line! Ridiculous. The sooner Disney does something about this, the better.

These are issues you can bring up, once you have waited in line, with the cast member. In general (yes with some of the show you have to hit the correct one that has the interpreter) they have the reflective captioning and seats in the front for every show.

And those seats are reserved for people who need a specific accommodation (just like ECV spaces are reserved for wheelchairs and ECVs) In those cases there is honestly no reason for someone to queue up when they are going to end up in a specific seat anyway.

How do you propose they deal with people who are photosensitive and need a shaded waiting area (for whatever reason)? How about someone who is ambulatory but cannot climb stairs? What about children who need a stroller-as-a-wheelchair? People who have vision issues that require a longer length of time to become acclimated to the darkness (and such require a dark waiting area for dark rides, vs one that winds in and out of buildings)?

Nobody in my family needs a GAC and for that I'm happy. Maybe that's why I've never noticed anybody with the card. Nor have I formed the opinion that it's being abused. Honestly, I never feel like I wait more than 20 minutes in any line I get in to. Oh that's right, I won't get into a long line.

If people are abusing the GAC then that is terrible of them to do that. For those that need the card I'm glad it's there for you.

And those seats are reserved for people who need a specific accommodation (just like ECV spaces are reserved for wheelchairs and ECVs) In those cases there is honestly no reason for someone to queue up when they are going to end up in a specific seat anyway.

How do you propose they deal with people who are photosensitive and need a shaded waiting area (for whatever reason)? How about someone who is ambulatory but cannot climb stairs? What about children who need a stroller-as-a-wheelchair? People who have vision issues that require a longer length of time to become acclimated to the darkness (and such require a dark waiting area for dark rides, vs one that winds in and out of buildings)?

Most of the line re-designs have been addressing the first 3 issues you described. That is why many of the wheelchair lines are disappearing. Even the bus lines for some resorts require EVC/Wheelchair riders to wait in the regular line now that they are wide enough. The vision issue is not one I have ever heard of, but as most of the lines are now covered, I would imagine (could be wrong) that the shaded area would help them adjust.

People asked how we would re-design the GAC program, that is what I personally would do. I have had family with cancer, hidden illness, anxiety and physical disabilities, so I don't think what I am saying is really that out there.

it's about time! DH and I had to wait at RNR at DHS 2 years ago because of a GAC abuse and we were steamed. We also felt bad for the CMs because there was nothing either one of them could do it about. A large family (maybe 7-8 people) came up the FP line with a child who was very obviously NOT riding RNR and demanded to ride RIGHT NOW because they had a GAC. I'm all for people receiving assistance when they need it but I am sick to death of people taking advantage of these things because they are lazy or believe they are entitled. I hope Disney finds a way to make sure people who truly need the GAC are able to get it and use it and the people who are abusing it have it taken away from them. People should be thankful that they DON'T need a GAC!! Shame on the folks who abuse them!

In that case it was the CM's fault. You are told very clearly that the person with the name on the GAC needs to be present and riding to use the card. CM's need to be firm and follow the rules.

I think that one of the main abuses of the GAC’s or people who get them for ridiculous reasons. I mean come on making a child who has ADD, ADHD, or SPD type issues stand in line is not going to kill them and standing in line may be a great learning experience for them. My students with these difficulties are not exempt from standing in lines at school or anywhere else so why should it be at Disney.I could care less if the GAC was a front of the line pass because the majority of people need them for serious physical reasons and if this makes them more comfortable or they get to see more then so be it. Disney really needs to stop handing these things out like candy and make sure that there is a real need for them.

I would just like to say that I disagree some. I have students and also my own son who struggles so much with their ADHD and sensory issues that tight places and never ending lines make them so uncomfortable that they often become a behavior problem and make others in line stare at them when they show their discomfort by making noises and movements etc. that bother others and themselves. Others in line don't understand their issues and then may stare and make comments which then even make it worse for all involved. A gac can allow a less stressful wait in an area that doesn't push them to far etc. The lines in Disney are not like a line in school where the child sees a start and finish. At disney a line may seem like it will never end. Each child is different, and ADHD and spd is a disability for a reason!

special ed teacher said:
I would just like to say that I disagree some. I have students and also my own son who struggles so much with their ADHD and sensory issues that tight places and never ending lines make them so uncomfortable that they often become a behavior problem and make others inline stare at them when they show their discomfort by making noises and movements et. That bother others and them selves. Others in line don't understand their issues and then may stare and make comments which then even make it worse for all involved. A gac can allow a less stressful wait in an area that doesn't push them to far etc. MIT is not like a line in school where the child sees a start and finish. At disney a line may seem like it will never end. Each child is different, and ADHD and spd is a disability for a reason!

Agreed. I also have many students and a son that struggles daily with ADHD. It is important to remember that it is a co-morbid disorder- there are many other issues they struggle with other than attention and hyperactivity, and severity varies from kid to kid.

Cross post from wdwmagic: It's an important topic to me so I thought I would share

I think I'm a good person to speak on this topic. My 31 year old sister has severe CP, she can't walk or talk and while she hasn't been to Disney in nearly 20 years it was some of the best times of her life.

Yes our family of 4 was treated great and we rarely waited more than a few minutes for any attraction but I think it's what made the experience great for us. I have been back to Disney with my own family a few times and always waited in lines and had a great time as well.

I know people abuse this and it really ticks me off. However, I can put up with waiting in line and watch people abuse the system knowing that this service makes WDW truly magical for those who wouldn't be able to enjoy Disney as an able bodied person could.

I would rather WDW not change the system and make it less enjoyable for those who really deserve it just to prevent abuse. Those people who abuse it have to live with that.

I really hope there are changes to the GAC, and soon. Every day we saw so many people flash their cards, which they conveniently had on a lanyard around their neck, and then waltz into the FP line with their party of 8. It happened so much during out trip last month, over Christmas, that DH and I started referring to the GAC as "cheater cards". Sorry, but when 2 huge groups of people cut in front of us at the entrance to the FP line at BTMRR, flash their cheater cards at the CM and proceed to run up the queue, it is absolutely abuse. But hey, it's busy at Christmas! And little Suzie doesn't like crowds so she can't wait in line! Ridiculous. The sooner Disney does something about this, the better.

My daughter's friend with the brain tumor, my niece with the immune deficiency, and my friend's autistic son all run. It makes me happy to see them having a good time. To look at any of them, you'd never know they were ill or had a disorder.

A few years ago, I brought a group of 8 people including my daughter's friend and my friend and her son for 10 days. Both the girl and my friend's son had GACs. It was nice because we could all ride and tour together.

Robbi said:
My daughter's friend with the brain tumor, my niece with the immune deficiency, and my friend's autistic son all run. It makes me happy to see them having a good time. To look at any of them, you'd never know they were ill or had a disorder.

A few years ago, I brought a group of 8 people including my daughter's friend and my friend and her son for 10 days. Both the girl and my friend's son had GACs. It was nice because we could all ride and tour together.

So true! Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Much like the current state of affairs in the world, people who truly need assistance, are forced to defend themselves when categorized with the same group that abuses any system that allows a "free-ride." I thank heavens that my family is free from the almost unbelievable list of ailments people have listed on this thread. What has happened? ADD, ADD-HD, ADD-RT, ASD, BEH, CFS, ED, GAD, LFA, MND, RMD...my god! I had to look half of these up? How is this all discovered and diagnosed and treated and medicated and...I'm going upstairs to kiss my sleeping daughter and count my lucky stars.

I have seen so much suspect information and stories on this thread! At BTMRR people using GAC cards do not use the FP line! Instead, they go in another alternate way. I do not think that the regular or FP lines can accommodate wheelchairs or ECVs. I was there last month and I wear my GAC around my neck in a lanyard. It is very convenient. Perhaps you saw my husband and myself. Oh no, couldn't be us. We are only a party of two. By the way, we experienced extremely long waits when using the GAC. Longer waits in a lot of instances than the regular line. Sometimes there is a person or two who cannot transfer ahead of us in line. They must wait for a special car that will take their chair. It takes a long time to load them as well. I don't mind waiting because sometimes people have to wait for me. I really think we should all develop more patience and empathy for our fellow man. It makes me sad to read some of the posts here.

I'm getting physically ill from reading all about this. My son has pretty obvious autism and absolutely cannot stand in lines. He starts freaking out, rocking back and forth, bumping into strangers, making odd noises and eventually yelling, freaking out and thrashing on the ground. Believe me, we tried it the "regular" way first and this is what happened. We thought our dream of Disney was a nightmare.

Then we found out about the GAC. Not only did it make us able to ride and do attractions together, it made our entire trip so much better because we avoided the stress of the lines. We felt like a "regular" family during our time in Disney. He loves it so much there, it has really helped him. He learned to order in restaurants, be in large crowds, basically cope with the real world.

We have visited twice or three times in a year because we can use that GAC. If they take it away from us, we will no longer be able to visit. That will be sadder than anything I can imagine for him. He won't understand that he can no longer choose what he wants to do and it will lead to incredible anxiety and frustration, the same reaction that waiting in lines gives him.

I guess it was too good to be true. I guess we families with disabilities will just have to accept that the last place on earth that gave us fun and happiness is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter