Disney Enchantment Discussion & Reviews Thread (Premiering 9/30)

The link for Enchantment is up again.
The debacle in the comments continues.
Also a lot of dislikes.

Just watching Jordan Fisher's minute long Thank You video to HEA had more impact than that whole show... :(

Just watched and I agree. Great video, extraordinary song. We will miss HEA.

My main question is, If Enchantment has zero 50th Anniversary content, what was the point of replacing Happily Ever After? HEA was a relatively new and well received show and I honestly don’t see how Enchantment is in any way an upgrade. I guess I’m just really confused about WHY this show was needed.

After watching the DIS recordings of both new shows I like them much better than after the live streams. I guess I’m in the minority, but I liked HEA more than Wishes. And while I enjoyed Illuminations, I felt like it was time for an update and I think Harmonious will be better in person. I don’t think they’re perfect and there are certainly aspects I would’ve liked better if they were done differently, but I still enjoyed them both.

With Enchantment, I would’ve preferred some portion of it dedicated to Walt and Mickey, and while I love Moana, I feel like more than one Moana song was a bit much when there are so many other options. I much preferred the narration of Enchantment by Angela Bassett to the narration of Harmonious, which somehow gave me HM “hurry back” vibes and I didn’t love the awkward “goodnight” ending. I watched Tim Tracker’s video and he had an interesting segment where he was talking to someone who worked on Harmonious. I’m curious what the alternate ending was and if it would’ve gone over better.

My family will still watch and enjoy these shows. Sad that so many are disappointed by them… I’m still looking forward to our next trip hopefully next year. We have 3 little ones from infant to 5 years old and we’re still planning for many Disney trips in our future. The older ones watched the Enchantment stream and got excited when they saw Raya on the castle for a moment since they love that movie. They also loved the Frozen segment since “Into the Unknown” is the song they always wanted on repeat after watching Frozen II for the first time.

I expected a downgrade on fireworks but I did not expect a downgrade on projections. I guess quality projections cost too much money too? All the technology to give us those amazing HEA projections and then they go backwards with this new show and basically just used the castle as a flat screen for projections again.

Wow, just watched Remember... Dreams Come True on YouTube. Like others said, it really hits the nail on the head. It was almost perfection. I think what made it great was that it wasn't just about random Disney movies, it was about that specific park, even stuff that had since left. I think that's why I love Illuminations so much - it was about the world and the countries around World Showcase, not just the Disney company itself. And the DCT castle projections were just great - they just complemented the fireworks, they weren't the whole show. And it was especially when you have Queen of Everything Delightful And Amazing Julie Andrews narrate. Even if I haven't seen it in person it might now be one of my favorite night shows.

"Fun" fact (not really fun): I read Julie Andrew's book a few years ago and she actually said that she couldn't watch fireworks. She grew up in London during WWII and her neighborhood was often bombed and unfortunately (but understandably) fireworks bring up too many unpleasant memories for her.

The thing is that I was born in 89 and you can bet I wasn't around when the classics came out and I still saw them.
But putting aside whether or not Disney should only take IPs from the 2000s and on for the new generations, the point is that the problem with Harmonious and Enchantment is not only the IPs, but the whole show in general. There is absolutely no story or writing for these shows. They are not telling a story, there is no connective tissue between the first clip to the last one. For a company that prides itself about caring first and foremost about the story they tell, it is puzzling that these marquee shows for the 50th anniversary have no reason to be. Using newer IPs shouldn't be anathema, but that's all Disney is using of late. Take Fantasmic. They updated Disneyland's version with new IP's, but it works there because the show as a whole is telling a story. You understand why The Lion King is there or why Tangled is there or why Pirates of the Caribbeans is there. They are telling a story, they are tied together by something. Even as new IPs, they fit in the show's story. Not here. Plus they took the most underground songs and movies to do the 50th anniversary show. I like The Hunchback of Notre Dame but for the love of God I don't understand why 1/3 of Harmonious is about the Hunchback. For a 50th anniversary you need to honor the past, the rich history behind you, while aknowledging the generation that is coming. You need to bring both together. These shows don't even care to attempt that. Hell, they don't even attempt to tell a story and that's the biggest problem, regardless of what IP's they use. It's a mashup of Disney's IPs and not a very good one at that.

Disneyland shows how to make a proper anniversary show. Remember, Dreams Come True is the perfect 50th anniversary show. You have Walt's words, Walt's vid, they tell a story. They take you around Disneyland, because you hop in into the Railroad. You see a tribute to the attractions because you are "traveling" around Disneyland. You get a shout out to the Main Street Electrical Parade, you even get a freaking shout out to the classic Public Safety recordings on the rides for crying out loud (which is a nice touch because it is part of the experience). They honor the attractions that actually make you come back to the park.
Even for the 60th anniversary show, Disneyland Forever, which wasn't as well regarded as the one for the 50th, they take you to the orange groves where Disneyland stands today. You hear Walt's words and in the end you see Walt walking hand in hand with Mickey. That is a proper tribute. You honor the past and the park that you are celebrating. This is not a Walt Disney Company anniversary show, it's a WDW anniversary show. Enchantment and Harmonious are the signs of what's to come and that Disney might enter a new Dark Age. People are catching on and noticing what the new company philosophy is. With the new changes with Genie + and now seeing what kind of shows and attractions are being offered, many are rethinking their trips. You can see it in the comments of the official accounts on Youtube. The one for Genie + has so much hate there and the one for Harmonious is surprisingly full of disappointment too. Suprising because I didn't read a single positive comment for the show. That's not hyperbole. Go and read the comments. There is not a single positive comment

All in all, returning to the original critique... the shows are bad not because of the newer IPs (though I case can be made for Moana, Brave, The Hunchback and... Soul?), they are bad because they didn't bother with their cardinal rule: you gotta tell a story.

This is a perfect take.

However, I will disagree with you on one point. This show DID tell a story, but it was a pretty discouraging and depressing one. Like, I know we are still in the midst of a global pandemic, but do we really need a story that focuses so intently on the idea that life is hard and full of uncertainty and challenges and in the end, the answer to all of it is the "magic" inside of you? What? There's not much uplifting sentiment in that. Its basically, "you're on your own, chump!"

After reading 15 pages of posts my heart is heavy! My first trip to Disney World was in 1976. I felt the magic during that trip and have gone back many times over. I introduced my children to the classics and built their love for all things Disney. Now, my granddaughters are fans...loving Mickey and Minnie, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King...and the list goes on. And yes, they are huge fans of Moana and Frozen and the newer IPs as well. But for me, my expectation was that the 50th would bring me back on a journey from 1976 until 2021...touch my heart, mind, and spirit! The beauty of Disney has always been the chance to escape from the Real World and live for a short time in the World of Magic and Make-believe. If the new WDW is not going to allow for that escape there is not much difference between it and any other theme park. I am hoping that in 3 weeks when we arrive that my granddaughters and my children and my beautiful bride of 40 years all feel the magic and not just a sense of being on just another vacation!

However, I will disagree with you on one point. This show DID tell a story, but it was a pretty discouraging and depressing one. Like, I know we are still in the midst of a global pandemic, but do we really need a story that focuses so intently on the idea that life is hard and full of uncertainty and challenges and in the end, the answer to all of it is the "magic" inside of you? What? There's not much uplifting sentiment in that. Its basically, "you're on your own, chump!"

I actually like the “you are the magic” sentiment… to me it signifies personal responsibility and self-empowerment which are lessons I hope to teach my kids. Also, especially during these last couple of years where so much was out of our control, focusing on what we could control was a way to cope. Finding our own magic. I don’t think that means Disney isn’t expected to provide any magic, and I’m not a fan of all the changes they’ve been making lately, but I prefer the “you are the magic” story to the classic damsel one.

::dies laughing::

I'm sorry, that was a legitimate question. Just, um. Go check out one of the several threads on Harmonious right now, and you might find yourself thinking "Enchantment wasn't SO bad..."
⬆️This. My husband and my very lukewarm vote is Enchantment > Harmonious. We visit next week and will go in person to see both, but have absolutely no expectations

I actually like the “you are the magic” sentiment… to me it signifies personal responsibility and self-empowerment which are lessons I hope to teach my kids. Also, especially during these last couple of years where so much was out of our control, focusing on what we could control was a way to cope. Finding our own magic. I don’t think that means Disney isn’t expected to provide any magic, and I’m not a fan of all the changes they’ve been making lately, but I prefer the “you are the magic” story to the classic damsel one.

Exactly! I take it more as "you got this!" Esp coupled with How Far I'll Go.

Taking bets that in 18 months when they replace out Enchantment with something else there's another hate thread about how much better Enchantment was.

Honestly based on how budgets have been handled and all the other work that needs to be done .... they just need to bring HEA back. They didn't get their monies worth out of it yet, it works just fine so why would you just make another IP firework show?

I actually liked the show. Do I love it like HEA? No. But then I didn't love HEA when it started. It takes time and memories to create an attachment. I thought the projections were amazingly good, the soundtrack, while not my favorite song, was well written and has a great message. The only fault I find is I didn't see the big, grand finale we're used to- the same complaint (among many) that I had for Harmonious. However, not seeing it in person might just make a huge difference.

Yes, it's projection based, but from higher up on the castle. With HEA you had to be really close to the front and not have anyone block your view to see some of the best things. This one you do not.

Bottomline, it has the possibility to grow on me, unlike Harmonious which I will never, ever like.

Unfortunately, I have some bad news for you regarding Regan…
This was a reference to the opening day of Disneyland, where Walt hired then actor Regan to help with the announcements during the event. It was made in sarcasm, and directed at how poorly Bob Paycheck does with public appearances, for example last evening during his introduction to Enchantment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter