Disney Cruise Line v. Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas comparison

Thank you for posting this review. Living in NJ, we haven't taken any cruises out of NY/NJ yet (I know, seems odd), but this review tells me that we probably should give it a shot with RCL. We've done a few Disney cruises out of Port Canaveral coupled with a few days at WDW, but I can see a Bermuda cruise on RCL in our future. Thanks again, this has been a very informative review!

I wanted to tell you about some of our interactions with Guest Services on both DCL and on Royal Caribbean's Anthem when minor issues came up. It was interesting to me how it was handled on Disney and how it was handled on Anthem.
I will do the overall customer service comparison when I do my final thoughts... this post is just on a couple of "isolated" interactions.

I'm not sure which Disney Cruise it was anymore (we did 4) but on one of them, DH and DS were playing in the arcade. DS (who was probably 6 at the time) won a game and should have won a prize, but the prices for that level were empty... It would have been something small like a key chain anyway, and DH told DS it's not a big deal, he had fun playing and was going to leave it at that. As they were coming out of the arcade, a cast member was walking by so DH told him that the prizes were empty in the machine and that was it. Cast member said he will mention it to Guest Services. DS forgot about it 5 minutes later, and everyone went on with their day. When we returned to our stateroom in the evening, there was a surprise for DS - a Phineas plush tucked in DS's bed with a note. There was also a couple of treats and a $10 card to spend in the arcade. I didn't even know about this at first because I wasn't with them when they played in the arcade, so DH told me the story. I said wow you complained about that? (We don't complain about minor stuff) DH said he didn't complain to the cast member, didn't ask for anything - yet this is how DCL handled it.

Another time on DCL, it was on the Fantasy actually, I went to register for the Mixology class on embarkation day. The computer system was down when I got there, so the cast member said that he wasn't sure if there is still room, but took our names down and said they will call us if it's a go. We did not receive a call, or we missed a call so I never attended the Mixology. On the last night we noticed we were still charged for it. So I went to Guest Services and told them that we never attended as it wasn't confirmed if there was room or not. The cast member just said "You didn't take the Mixology class?" No? Ok, we have applied the credit to your account. Thank you. That was it. I was prepared to give them the story of how the computers were down etc, but honestly the CM just did it without any hassle.

Anthem of the Seas - The first night we came back to our stateroom, the stateroom host had already prepared it for the night with a sofa bed for DS. DH was standing beside the sofa bed when DS went to sit it on it. At that moment the sofa bed collapsed on my DH foot. It was the metal mechanism that collapsed. DH wasn't sure if there is something wrong with it, he is pretty handy but said that he would rather have them take a look at it. I could see he was in pain too, his foot was swelling fast. We called Guest Services, said that the sofa bed collapsed on his foot, and they sent maintenance within 10 minutes. Maintenance guy came in and looked it, said that apparently the bed wasn't locked properly. DS finally went to sleep, so did DH, I tried to get him to go see the doctor and he refused. He's a stubborn one. His foot didn't look good, and I was afraid something was broken. DH said there is no way he is walking in a brace the rest of the cruise anyway... fine I finally got fed up trying to get him to go. He was more or less mad that this happened to begin with, and what if it was DS that it fell on? DS weighs a whopping 68 lbs... Shortly after DH fell asleep, Guest Services called and asked if he was ok. They said the maintenance guy told them the sofa bed fell on DH's foot. I said his foot is swollen but he seems OK at the moment. They asked if they can send a Nurse to see him, DH didn't want that either.
The next day we got a call again from Guest Services to check on DH, and they asked again if we want to see a doctor. DH was better at this point and swelling was going down, so we said it's OK. They kept asking if they can do anything else for us? We said it's OK. They ended up sending a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries to our stateroom anyway. DH said it was nice they were trying to follow-up, but this was more of a big issue then no prizes in the arcade.... Our stateroom host never said a thing about it though.

The other interaction we had with Guest Services on Anthem was similar to what happened on Fantasy, there was a charge for something on our folio that we didn't agree with. It was from a bar and only for like $5, but since we had to go to Guest Services on the last night anyway, DH brought that up. They said it was something from the bar. We said we have a drink package, and have not gotten any drink that was $5 above the $13 limit. They said well maybe you got a drink in a souvenir cup. Nope. Well you must have. No, we didn't. Finally DH said forget it, not going to argue with you over $5. They never took it off, and we did pay it. I immediately thought back to Disney Cruise line just removing the wrong charge from our account. And it was for $30 and not $5. Maybe it's just who we got, but I couldn't believe (especially knowing we have a drink package) that Guest Services would argue over $5 with us.

That's it, these are a couple of things that stick out in my head.

Next up is the Night life on Anthem v. Disney and a summary :)

I agree with you on this....we have had minor incidents on our DCL cruises as well as on this cruise and they were handled very differently. DCL always went the route of the customer is always right and Anthem went the route of Anthem is always right. Our safe wasn't working properly on Anthem and it was pulling teeth to get them to come fix it. We had the exact same thing on DCL happen and it was fixed in 5 minutes. Just lack of customer care really....

Thank you for posting this review. Living in NJ, we haven't taken any cruises out of NY/NJ yet (I know, seems odd), but this review tells me that we probably should give it a shot with RCL. We've done a few Disney cruises out of Port Canaveral coupled with a few days at WDW, but I can see a Bermuda cruise on RCL in our future. Thanks again, this has been a very informative review!

That's why we chose Anthem, because we could easily drive to the port.. and I will say that sailing out of NYC was an experience in itself. Anthem played New York songs as we went under the Verranzano bridge.. everyone was screaming.. it was very cool and so different from Port Canaveral. Anthem also does Caribbean sailings out of NYC, and Bahamas with a stop in Port Canaveral. Sometimes the stop is a long one from like 7 am to midnight, and sometimes it's only until 7 pm so not enough time for WDW day in my opinion...

Thank you for the review! We're planning on a Royal cruise in a couple months on a much smaller ship (Enchantment) out of Miami. We'd like to do a cruise out of either Bayonne or Baltimore, as we can save a bundle on not having to fly, get hotels, etc. The timing just didn't work out for us this time.

A couple non-ship related questions, if you get a chance sometime. One drawback leaving from the northern ports is a big increase in "at-sea" time. What did you think of the tradeoff of the extra at sea time vs. having to fly to Florida? Also, what did you think of King's Wharf? Did you do excursions, walk around, play the nearby mini golf course, etc.?

Based on this review, I can say that I am 99% sure that we will enjoy RCCL more than DCL.

I don't think you will be disappointed... and if the little Disney details are not super important to you... Anthem of the Seas is an excellent ship to explore. I think you are adults only right?
You will love Two70, the Pool Solarium.. and if you like to stay out past 11 pm.. you will have lots of company :)
I know you will enjoy the cruise! Even though for my family, Disney is still a winner, I would not hesitate to sail on Anthem again. I also refuse now to pay double for Disney.

I agree with you on this....we have had minor incidents on our DCL cruises as well as on this cruise and they were handled very differently. DCL always went the route of the customer is always right and Anthem went the route of Anthem is always right. Our safe wasn't working properly on Anthem and it was pulling teeth to get them to come fix it. We had the exact same thing on DCL happen and it was fixed in 5 minutes. Just lack of customer care really....

Yes, Disney still has the customer service down to an art... they will go above and beyond. The customer service on Anthem was great overall, but ranged from excellent (dining rooms, specialty restaurants) to just so-so (Guest Services, pool bars). Nobody was rude to us, but many were just like... meh...

I would have to also factor in the impact of not having castaway day as one of your trip days. To me, castaway is Disney perfection . Just my one visit on that island has made me look at every cruise itinerary since and factor in is there a "castaway like day" available. A beach excursion is simply not the same thing to me. is it worth say $1000 difference in price, no. But it is definitely something that would make me think twice about leaving DCL.

I would have to also factor in the impact of not having castaway day as one of your trip days. To me, castaway is Disney perfection . Just my one visit on that island has made me look at every cruise itinerary since and factor in is there a "castaway like day" available. A beach excursion is simply not the same thing to me. is it worth say $1000 difference in price, no. But it is definitely something that would make me think twice about leaving DCL.

Aah yes Castaway Cay... The reason I didn't bring it up is because we didn't visit one of Royal's private islands so I couldn't compare it, and not all Disney cruises include a stop at Castaway Cay. The Disney Magic Bermuda cruise won't... I don't think?
I sure missed Castaway Cay, it just wasn't part of our Bermuda cruise anyway :)

I don't think you will be disappointed... and if the little Disney details are not super important to you... Anthem of the Seas is an excellent ship to explore. I think you are adults only right?
You will love Two70, the Pool Solarium.. and if you like to stay out past 11 pm.. you will have lots of company :)
I know you will enjoy the cruise! Even though for my family, Disney is still a winner, I would not hesitate to sail on Anthem again. I also refuse now to pay double for Disney.

To be perfectly honest, we're trying to avoid anything related to Disney for 5 years. We used to love it but unfortunately we got tired of it.
Yes, we are two adults. We go to bed early, though. :littleangel: The solarium and Two70 look absolutely awesome.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this informative and candid review. We are starting to branch out from DCL, but haven't looked too much at Royal. After reading this, that will probably be my next research project :-). Hopefully this thread can continue on with other RCCL experiences, similar to the Carnival thread. As someone looking to branch out a bit, I find it so helpful to hear the experiences of former DCL cruisers on other lines.

Apparently, Royal, NCL and Carnival's private island are pretty good, if not as good as Castaway Cay. Harvest Caye (NCL) also has a pool... Based on pictures, I'm tempted to say I would enjoy them just as much.

Thank you for the review! We're planning on a Royal cruise in a couple months on a much smaller ship (Enchantment) out of Miami. We'd like to do a cruise out of either Bayonne or Baltimore, as we can save a bundle on not having to fly, get hotels, etc. The timing just didn't work out for us this time.

A couple non-ship related questions, if you get a chance sometime. One drawback leaving from the northern ports is a big increase in "at-sea" time. What did you think of the tradeoff of the extra at sea time vs. having to fly to Florida? Also, what did you think of King's Wharf? Did you do excursions, walk around, play the nearby mini golf course, etc.?

We only had 1 sea day after leaving NY, then day 3 and 4 was Bermuda. One sea day again at the end before arriving in NY. Any cruise we would take from Florida (most anyway) would have one sea day as well before reaching the first port. Unless the first port is Nassau or Key West... So in our case yes, it was definitely better than flying to FL. If you take a longer cruise from NY to the Bahamas, I believe you have 2 days at sea each way... same with the Southern Caribbean they do, but those are longer sailings. That's 4 days at sea... I do love sea days and would probably enjoy them as long as there are no more than 2 in a row... :)

We liked King's Wharf port. Didn't do any organized excursions as it's very easy to explore on your own, lots of transportation options to get to where you're going.
One day we walked around and did the mini-golf near the port, it was fun. It's walking distance to the ship. We had a couple of rum swizzle drinks at the Frog and Onion Pub and did some shopping nearby.
Next day we took a "mini-bus" to Horseshoe Bay, it's a beautiful beach but crowded on a hot day.
We also wanted to explore Hamilton, but one of the days the weather wasn't cooperating.. we weren't sure if it was going to rain so we stayed close to port. You take the ferry to Hamilton, and you can buy all your transportation passes when you get off the ship. I referred to a couple of really handy websites when I was planning Bermuda, I can message you with those later if you want.

- Anthem has too dark of a decor, solid brown doors, dark walls....
- No round portholes... Anthem has beautiful windows in the restaurants and hallways but they are square.. not sure why but I missed the round ones found on DCL...
(Yes I may need professional help)...
- No Disney music in the hallways...Anthem played music too but it was same as I hear at home on the radio.. I kept thinking how the DCL background music put a smile on my face every time I walked to our stateroom
- Speaking of staterooms, I also missed the decorated doors. Even though we don't go overboard decorating doors ourselves I greatly enjoy checking them out
- Missed the H2O spa toiletries in the bathroom
- Really missed the all day movies by the pool on Funnel Vision, even if most of the time I just laid there listening with my eyes closed...
- I missed the atmosphere in the Cabanas and some of the food.. yes I go for the Mickey waffles along with all the kids ::yes::
- Also missed the Disney shops and merchandise.. which ended up being a good thing for my pocket, but missed it nevertheless

Obviously I knew this is not Disney cruise line and wasn't expecting to find Disney music or merchandise... but I realized that I enjoy these little Disney touches and greatly missed having them.

Some other things that are big about DCL, I did not miss at all:

- Split baths
- Characters and their line-ups all over the place
- Rotational dining with its drawn-out process
- The announcing of families on arrival... could take it or leave it.
- Pirate night... it was awesome the first two times...

I agree with all of this! (Except the announcement....I like the announcing of families).

And I agree I was not one and done with RCL either...But I think I'm one and done on the Anthem and maybe that class. I didn't feel it had the family friendly vibe I like about DCL but that some of the other classes might have what I'm looking for. I mean, we even booked another cruise on RCL while on this one so obviously we weren't one and done. But I chose the oasis class this time instead.

DCL still wins in our book but my attitude might change as the kid gets older...we will make Gold this Fall with our Merrytime cruise but I doubt we'll ever make it to Platinum. I think you did a great review and it was so interesting to see your perspective since we were on the exact same cruise doing a lot of the same things at the same time! Maybe one day we'll be on the same cruise again!

I agree with all of this! (Except the announcement....I like the announcing of families).

And I agree I was not one and done with RCL either...But I think I'm one and done on the Anthem and maybe that class. I didn't feel it had the family friendly vibe I like about DCL but that some of the other classes might have what I'm looking for. I mean, we even booked another cruise on RCL while on this one so obviously we weren't one and done. But I chose the oasis class this time instead.

DCL still wins in our book but my attitude might change as the kid gets older...we will make Gold this Fall with our Merrytime cruise but I doubt we'll ever make it to Platinum. I think you did a great review and it was so interesting to see your perspective since we were on the exact same cruise doing a lot of the same things at the same time! Maybe one day we'll be on the same cruise again!

I wish we booked on board... I just wasn't sure if the next cruise will be Disney or Royal and I wanted to leave the option of the possibility it will be Disney ;)
I regret not booking on board now though, didn't realize we'd only pay a $100 deposit...
We also want to try the Oasis class next, and probably won't cruise on Anthem again, but if the opportunity came up we would.

The announcing of families.. I do like it on DCL, but it's not a "must" for me... A simple welcome aboard would be fine, but... I didn't like how on Anthem you boarded and now what... didn't know where to go.

I think I have to book a short cruise on Disney to become gold... hmm... We are also one cruise away :)

Edited to add... I can see why you would think Anthem was less family-friendly if your daughter didn't partake in any of the Adventure Ocean offerings... I would probably feel the same way. Adventure Ocean was great for DS though and this is why overall it was still family friendly for my family :)
Just going by the ship itself... I agree with you completely.

Last edited:
Thanks again for your review. It's nice to read a comparisons from experienced Disney cruisers. I hate being announced upon boarding myself-I've gotten quite adept at sliming by without the fanfare :)

Awesome review, thanks!
We did two RCL and then did the Fantasy, and while it was an AMAZING trip, we weren't blown away by it - the service was just ok and DD really missed pools (loved Aquaduct of course but it was closed a lot) and we are in the same boat (hehe) that if I was to find a really really good deal we will cruise on it again, but every cruise I have priced is double the cost of an equal cruise, and it just isn't worth that to us

We LOVED Oasis- def try that class!

DH and I did both enjoy various shows and entertainment meant for adults, and DS enjoyed watching Spectra's with us. He asked to go see another show later in the cruise and I had to tell him there are no other "family" shows we can take him to...

Was "The Gift" show in the main theater not available on your cruise? We saw that on Anthem and enjoyed it, and it is family friendly.

I agree with pretty much everything you said about Anthem (at least the parts I can comment on, we don't have kids), especially the customer service. I had the impression that the staff wanted to be helpful, but weren't, if that makes sense.

Did you like the solarium pool? I think it is beautiful, but it is not really a pool. It is more of a cold tub to complement the hot tubs. You can't swim in the Anthem solarium pool as it is too small and not very deep. On our cruise there weren't many people in the solarium pool because it wasn't that appealing. (I've been on Radiance Class as well and that solarium pool is awesome and 'swimmable') On that point I would say the DCL adult pool is superior.

Was "The Gift" show in the main theater not available on your cruise? We saw that on Anthem and enjoyed it, and it is family friendly.

I agree with pretty much everything you said about Anthem (at least the parts I can comment on, we don't have kids), especially the customer service. I had the impression that the staff wanted to be helpful, but weren't, if that makes sense.

Did you like the solarium pool? I think it is beautiful, but it is not really a pool. It is more of a cold tub to complement the hot tubs. You can't swim in the Anthem solarium pool as it is too small and not very deep. On our cruise there weren't many people in the solarium pool because it wasn't that appealing. (I've been on Radiance Class as well and that solarium pool is awesome and 'swimmable') On that point I would say the DCL adult pool is superior.

We didn't see the Gift as we were told it's rather "mature" subject matter? DH and I were going to see it by ourselves, but ended up not going...

I agree, the Solarium pools are not for swimming. It's more for lounging in the pool with your drink...
I could never swim in a Disney pool either though, not on the Fantasy anyway. You maybe could in the Magic's adults only pool..
I liked the Solarium for the overall space, the cascading "pools" and huge hot tubs, the views from the front of the ship and the glass retractable roof. On our sailing it was usually packed, except early in the morning and late in the afternoon.
DH did a bit of swimming but it was in the indoor pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter