Disney Cruise Line v. Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas comparison

We have a B2B coming up in a week on Oasis and have now booked a B2B on their new ship, the Symphony, for next year. It will have a laser tag room (not of interest to me), a puzzle room (which I'm really looking forward to ), huge slides and most importantly to me a Jamies Italian! Lots of new and interesting things on this ship. Can't wait to see what DCL does with their new ships. Competition is good!!

We looked at booking the Oasis next Thanksgiving. We have done one prior RCCL cruise (Serenade of the Seas), and everyone hated it. However, I think that a lot had to do with the size of the ship, so we thought about trying the larger one. However, the Carnival Breeze is about $1,000 cheaper for the 3 of us, so I think that we will probably do that (I know this sounds crazy to everyone here, but we REALLY enjoyed Carnival much more than RCCL - Actually, I'd take Princess over either...)...

At any rate, it seems to me that for the big ships, RCCL always seems more expensive than the other lines (outside of DCL).
We are very interested in Carnival's new ships! What were some of your favorite things about Carnival that topped RCCL or DCL?

We are very interested in Carnival's new ships! What were some of your favorite things about Carnival that topped RCCL or DCL?
I'm not who you asked but we love the Carnival Vista, we've been on her 3 times in the last 16 months. As far as the ship itself goes we like her better than the Fantasy. There is so much to do activities wise, great waterslides and water area, skyride is great, ropes course is super fun. Jogging track is on the top deck so beautiful views the whole time, they also have resistance training equipment up there so you can get a workout in the open air.

There are so many food choices available for breakfast and lunch, plus 24 hour pizza station. The deli is open until midnight with great sandwiches and hot dogs, excellent fries too! The pay for dinner Asian and Italian restaurants are free at lunch, great stir fry and pasta dishes. We did go to the steakhouse and it was excellent, I think it was $30/person and kids are allowed so our teens joined us. Also, the desserts are much better on CCL than DCL.

Carnival doesn't have the same refined level of service as DCL, but man they really are FUN ships like they advertise. That's coming from people who don't drink. The nighttime deck parties are awesome, so much fun. We also really enjoyed the shows, not high caliber DCL quality once again but really good. The Horizon will be out next year and I highly recommend the 8 night Southern Caribbean itinerary, just gorgeous, especially Curaçao.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the post.

We looked at booking the Oasis next Thanksgiving. We have done one prior RCCL cruise (Serenade of the Seas), and everyone hated it. However, I think that a lot had to do with the size of the ship, so we thought about trying the larger one. However, the Carnival Breeze is about $1,000 cheaper for the 3 of us, so I think that we will probably do that (I know this sounds crazy to everyone here, but we REALLY enjoyed Carnival much more than RCCL - Actually, I'd take Princess over either...)...

At any rate, it seems to me that for the big ships, RCCL always seems more expensive than the other lines (outside of DCL).

I agree, every time I price out the Quantum or Oasis class it much higher than the other Royal ships.
Freedom was also suggested to me, but I have my heart set on Oasis class next.
Now, you can get a great deal - for example Allure Eastern Carib. is $2300 for a family of 4, oceanvview category cabin Jan 14. It's kids sail free promo.
Jan 7th is $2700 but under their BOGO sale.
Two cruises I was pricing out.
Disney is $4700 inside for same dates.

I just wanted to thank you for the post - super informative. We have done 3 DCL cruises now and DH was a little disappointed about the lack of alone time for the grownups on the Fantasy this last time. So we booked the Anthem for Spring Break week. Everyone we talked to the Fantasy last week that recommended RCL said their kids loved the kids club there and stayed there a lot more than on DCL. I also feel there is less to miss out on if if skip MDR dinners and save time that way as well. I really appreciated the comp to DCL since that is what I currently know best.

I'm glad you found it interesting:)
We are contemplating booking aDec 30 NY cruise on the Anthem $3100 for 2A 2C -such a good price during a holiday.
The only thing stopping me is the thought of possibly being cold in NYC and Florida /Bahamas.
There is way more night life on Anthem than Disney. I hope you have a great cruise!

I agree, every time I price out the Quantum or Oasis class it much higher than the other Royal ships.
Freedom was also suggested to me, but I have my heart set on Oasis class next.
Now, you can get a great deal - for example Allure Eastern Carib. is $2300 for a family of 4, oceanvview category cabin Jan 14. It's kids sail free promo.
Jan 7th is $2700 but under their BOGO sale.
Two cruises I was pricing out.
Disney is $4700 inside for same dates.

We waited a long time for prices to come down before we sailed on the Oasis. This past Feb. I got great pricing on the Allure (which we LOVED) - kept watching the sales and had my TA reprice for me each time there was one. We're booked on the Harmony for Nov. 2018 - 3 of us in an oceanview balcony for less than $2,500 for a 7 night (and plenty of time to watch for sales/price reductions).That's less than we paid for a 6 night on the Magic for an inside room in Nov. 2016. As a family, the Oasis class ships work best for us and are our favorite. Hope you have a great cruise!

We waited a long time for prices to come down before we sailed on the Oasis. This past Feb. I got great pricing on the Allure (which we LOVED) - kept watching the sales and had my TA reprice for me each time there was one. We're booked on the Harmony for Nov. 2018 - 3 of us in an oceanview balcony for less than $2,500 for a 7 night (and plenty of time to watch for sales/price reductions).That's less than we paid for a 6 night on the Magic for an inside room in Nov. 2016. As a family, the Oasis class ships work best for us and are our favorite. Hope you have a great cruise!

That's amazing as right now Harmony is the most expensive.
Like you said, deals can be found - Royal constantly is running sales.
Our last cruise with Disney (fantasy) was exactly a year ago, DS8 loved it, it was our 4th Disney though and we noticed he wasn't as into the kids clubs as he was before. Still loved dressing up for Halloween, doing the pirate league, the aqua duck and midship detective agency.
This past May when we went on Anthem he was closer to 9 and preferred Adventure Ocean kids club. Still talks about it.
We are looking at the Fantasy Eastern Caribbean rates to come down (VGT) as we would love to do Star Wars cruise, but now having sailed with Royal - we realize for us Disney is not the only cruise line for us.
We hope to book Alaska summer 2019 with Disney, but otherwise it will depend.
One way or another we hope to go in the Oasis class.
So many plans, so little time (and not enough $) ;)

This was a long thread to read but unbelievably helpful! You put so much work and thought into this. I love love Disney and it would be very hard for me to book a no -Disney cruise; you were and to put i to words what you give up when go with another line and give fair voice to the value you can get elsewhere.

To me the design of the DIsney ships plus the service makes it worth it. But we are planning a trip to Alaska now and the airfare alone may kill us, so we will have to look at other cruise lines.

This was a long thread to read but unbelievably helpful! You put so much work and thought into this. I love love Disney and it would be very hard for me to book a no -Disney cruise; you were and to put i to words what you give up when go with another line and give fair voice to the value you can get elsewhere.

To me the design of the DIsney ships plus the service makes it worth it. But we are planning a trip to Alaska now and the airfare alone may kill us, so we will have to look at other cruise lines.

Thanks! It is very long looking at it now... at the time I was only posting a section every couple of days and so it was manageable for those that followed along... I think :)

I still want to cruise with Disney and it's still the line I like most - but this is based on my very limited experience outside of DCL. Value-wise Royal won for sure, especially for my husband who is not a Disney fanatic like me.
I put value on the little Disney touches I mentioned in my summary.

It's funny you mention Alaska because I feel like for Alaska double the $ or not I want to go with DCL.
I haven't done all the research yet.. I just feel like an Alaska cruise on another line would be boring for kids?
Not in ports of course but while sailing.
I could be completely wrong though.
Will still look into it.
We are planning Alaska late summer of 2019.

If you're wanting Alaska, check out the new Norwegian Bliss, she'll be sailing soon - absolutely amazing ship, complete with a go-kart track on the top 2 decks!

On Harmony of the Seas right now. I so love Royal’s Voom internet. Disney should take a note. Theirs is utter garbage. Anywhoo, having a fab time with friends. Fantastic ship. Have a Boardwalk balcony on deck 12 all the way on the end near the Aqua Theater. Killer views. Loved The Fine Line so far. The adult comedy was great tonight. Awesome bars with unique menus. Enjoying all the specialty restaurants. Great service from our stateroom host and other crew. Just an all-around fantastic cruise. I’d definitely recommend this ship. She’s amazing!

On Harmony of the Seas right now. I so love Royal’s Voom internet. Disney should take a note. Theirs is utter garbage. Anywhoo, having a fab time with friends. Fantastic ship. Have a Boardwalk balcony on deck 12 all the way on the end near the Aqua Theater. Killer views. Loved The Fine Line so far. The adult comedy was great tonight. Awesome bars with unique menus. Enjoying all the specialty restaurants. Great service from our stateroom host and other crew. Just an all-around fantastic cruise. I’d definitely recommend this ship. She’s amazing!
So good to hear your enjoying the Boardwalk balcony, that's what we have on our sailing this weekend. I choose one at the very end, it will be nice to sit out there and watch a movie on the big screen or even the water show (which I loved). I do have another Central Park balcony booked on our sailing of the Symphony next year because I loved to sit out there and have breakfast or a glass of wine at night.
I agree with the internet comment. Voom is sooooo nice to have and compared to what it cost for internet with DCL, a real bargain! I picked it up as part of the drinks package when they had a sale.
Enjoy the rest of your sailing, hope to hear more about your travels! :flower3:

Hello! I appreciate this post so much. I've just booked our first cruise with RCI and it was such a hard decision but with two teens I had to think of them rather then just myself.

My first question is on the cruise planner where will it state discounts? Do excursions get discounted? Beverages, internet? And lastly, will the discounts start around 90 days, 180 before we set sail? Thanks for any help.

Hello! I appreciate this post so much. I've just booked our first cruise with RCI and it was such a hard decision but with two teens I had to think of them rather then just myself.

My first question is on the cruise planner where will it state discounts? Do excursions get discounted? Beverages, internet? And lastly, will the discounts start around 90 days, 180 before we set sail? Thanks for any help.
Thank you, I almost forgot about this post...;)
If it's one of the Oasis or Quantum class ships, your teens will probably love it.
Yes - the cruise planner will show the discounts, most often it was beverage package, internet, and some excursions yes. Spa, specialty dining packages.. etc
Now, as far as when they start I'm not 100% sure as we booked fairly last minute.
They kept popping up here and there, we got emails notifying us sometimes - but best if you follow the Royal carribean cruise blog, he not only has a lot of general info, also lets everyone know if there is a new sale in the cruise planner.
If you book something and a better sale pops up later, you can cancel and rebook - up to 3 days before sailing ( I believe)
I'm sure you will love your Royal cruise, but if time and $ permits, definitely try Disney at least once :)
Oh and :welcome: to DIS

There is also a Royal forum here

EVERYTHING gets discounted at some point. The discounts start pretty much the day you book and keep coming however the prices tend to move up the closer you get to your sailing date. I would book what ever you want now and then keep watch on the prices every few days. If you find that the price of an item you have booked drops in price just cancel what you have and rebook at the new price. You can just give RCL a quick call and they will fix it all up for you but as long as it is booked, even if the price does go up, you will not pay more.
They often have a drink and wifi package on sale, usually a good deal. Royals wifi is not like DCL's, its good for streaming and unlimited with the surf and stream.
I've not experienced it before but I hear that they have a blowout sale on Black Friday so keep your eyes open then.

EVERYTHING gets discounted at some point. The discounts start pretty much the day you book and keep coming however the prices tend to move up the closer you get to your sailing date. I would book what ever you want now and then keep watch on the prices every few days. If you find that the price of an item you have booked drops in price just cancel what you have and rebook at the new price. You can just give RCL a quick call and they will fix it all up for you but as long as it is booked, even if the price does go up, you will not pay more.
They often have a drink and wifi package on sale, usually a good deal. Royals wifi is not like DCL's, its good for streaming and unlimited with the surf and stream.
I've not experienced it before but I hear that they have a blowout sale on Black Friday so keep your eyes open then.
Thank you, I almost forgot about this post...;)
If it's one of the Oasis or Quantum class ships, your teens will probably love it.
Yes - the cruise planner will show the discounts, most often it was beverage package, internet, and some excursions yes. Spa, specialty dining packages.. etc
Now, as far as when they start I'm not 100% sure as we booked fairly last minute.
They kept popping up here and there, we got emails notifying us sometimes - but best if you follow the Royal carribean cruise blog, he not only has a lot of general info, also lets everyone know if there is a new sale in the cruise planner.
If you book something and a better sale pops up later, you can cancel and rebook - up to 3 days before sailing ( I believe)
I'm sure you will love your Royal cruise, but if time and $ permits, definitely try Disney at least once :)
Oh and :welcome: to DIS

There is also a Royal forum here
Thank you both!

This question may seem extremely dumb but I've no clue. Can you receive texts with each other on the ship? I don't expect to see much of my son but want to stay in contact.

Also, I chose to not do the MyDiningTime but to be on the first dining rotation at 6pm. I figured this would be an easy way to make sure the boys knew to always meet us for dinner at 6pm so that we would at least spend a little bit of time together. Do either of you know much about the dining rotations, and is this a good idea?

Thank you both!

This question may seem extremely dumb but I've no clue. Can you receive texts with each other on the ship? I don't expect to see much of my son but want to stay in contact.

Also, I chose to not do the MyDiningTime but to be on the first dining rotation at 6pm. I figured this would be an easy way to make sure the boys knew to always meet us for dinner at 6pm so that we would at least spend a little bit of time together. Do either of you know much about the dining rotations, and is this a good idea?
I don't use text so can't answer that but I think they have a system.
As to dining, there really is no rotation with set dining. You show up at the podium and they will take you to your table each night, usually the same table and in the same dinning room with the same serving team. We do my time dining but keep to the same time each night so very similar to regular dining. We have had table changes but always in the same area. As to is it a good idea, if it suits your family needs its a great idea. There's no one size fits all. 6 P.M. will get dinner over before the shows start so that's good.
Which ship will you be on?

Thank you both!

Royal has an app you can download before you sail (uses ship’s wifi) but the chat feature is extra $.
If you buy the internet package you can just text each other as if you were in land. As tinkerone mentioned their internet is amazing (new ships not sure older ones)
We actually happened to get the all inclusive drink package and unlimited internet, it was on special one day in the cruise planner I believe $48 per day.
Just drink package wad $40ish... on sale. Just Internet will also go on sale.
We did my time dining but if you do traditional they will assign you to a dining room with the same waiter and table mates each day.
At least they did in Athem

We will be sailing on Independence. Not for a long time. I was going to book on DCL and know that the earlier the better when booking but after looking into RCI and due to taking two 17 year olds we decided it would be best to go with RCI. I went ahead and booked even though we have a year to go. Husband chose the itinerary, not my first choice but I have to let him make the decisions once in awhile.

Plus going with RCI were sailing an extra day and have two rooms instead of one and paying $1,800.00 less. It's a crazy price difference. One day I will sail on Disney though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter