• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

disney at christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very excited that now I can say our anniversary trip starts THIS FRIDAY! Can't wait to see all the holiday magic. Thanks to all of you for helping us get so excited!

Very excited that now I can say our anniversary trip starts THIS FRIDAY! Can't wait to see all the holiday magic. Thanks to all of you for helping us get so excited!

Ooooh, how exciting that your anniversary trip coincides with the holiday festivities at DLR! A double whammy! You will have a wonderful time!

This year MAY be different than previous years as far as Christmas attendance, since all the APs except for Premium will be blocked out that day, and the cheap APs sometimes have shifted a lot of the attendance to more the "off-peak" days, at least for other holidays like Easter and 4th of July. I know historically the park has become awfully busy as more students get out of school but again, I know the Southern California APs have affected crowd levels somewhat over the summer, so the attendance pattern might be a little different in December.

I'm fairly sure that arriving at opening on Christmas would at least give you an hour or two of relatively low crowds before the huge throngs of people made their way in, if that means anything to you. Magic Morning shouldn't be offered either, so you could do any part of the park you wanted first thing in the morning.

I can't say if it will be insanely crowded overall, though...if I were going I would plan for crowds but cross my fingers. :)

Thanks for the info. We've gone around the holiday season (middle of the week, 1st week of Dec) and it wasn't really crowded at all. My husband and I were thinking of actually going on the day of because we go to Christmas Eve Services, and we don't have any children. We may still try to swing it and see what happens!!

Bump:banana: Bumpity bump bump bump!

I can tell the DIS is hoppin' these days because this thread is moving down the page at warp speed whenever it is bumped and also, the Trip Report section of the board is showing more activity.

My first trip to DL was during the Holidays in 2005. I prefer the Holiday extras!! You can also go on a Holiday Magic Tour where a cast member takes you through the park to show you some Holiday secrets and you ride Small World and Haunted Mansion. You also get preferred seating for the Christmas parade!! So much fun!! Happy Holidays Everyone!!

It's funny - ever since I saw this segment about DLR Holidays on the local news last year, I have had the fact that there are 700 Christmas trees of all sizes scattered around the entirety of DLR during holiday time stuck in my brain!:lmao: It caused me to think of all the ones I have seen and passed by in DLR, that I probably barely paid attention to, and all the ones I have never seen! Obviously, we all see the huge trees which are planted smack dab in the middle of hotel lobbies, DTD or in the hub of activity in DL or DCA. But there are all kinds of trees - in every shop/store, in every restaurant, sometimes tiny ones in the window displays for the stores, in the Reindeer Round-Up, etc. We even found a hidden, off-the-beaten-path Christmas tree in the GCH in 2008.

So this got me thinking, what a great idea for a photographic mission this year - to try to get as many of the 700 trees on camera as I can. Obvoiusly, if see a series of trees which are identical at the Round-Up, I don't need to get all of them on film, but there are all kinds of overlooked trees in shops I never go into or other places I never go. Like, are there any trees on Pirate's Lair, for example? Getting the ones in restaurants will be tough if I don't eat at those places, but I did get the Goofy's Kitchen tree, which I posted earlier in this thread.

Anyway, I found this link (below) to a story on the DLR Christmas trees from back in 2003, with pictures of some of them. I would imagine that more trees have been added in the last 6 years, but this gives you an idea of what kinds of trees there are to look for - maybe we can all take on this challenge and try to get as many of the 700 trees photographed as possible!:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm031203lp.htm

Bump again - two days, everyone! Two days and it's Holidaytime at DLR!:santa::santa::banana: Start looking for all the different kinds of Christmas trees!

It's funny - ever since I saw this segment about DLR Holidays on the local news last year, I have had the fact that there are 700 Christmas trees of all sizes scattered around the entirety of DLR during holiday time stuck in my brain!:lmao: It caused me to think of all the ones I have seen and passed by in DLR, that I probably barely paid attention to, and all the ones I have never seen! Obviously, we all see the huge trees which are planted smack dab in the middle of hotel lobbies, DTD or in the hub of activity in DL or DCA. But there are all kinds of trees - in every shop/store, in every restaurant, sometimes tiny ones in the window displays for the stores, in the Reindeer Round-Up, etc. We even found a hidden, off-the-beaten-path Christmas tree in the GCH in 2008.

So this got me thinking, what a great idea for a photographic mission this year - to try to get as many of the 700 trees on camera as I can. Obvoiusly, if see a series of trees which are identical at the Round-Up, I don't need to get all of them on film, but there are all kinds of overlooked trees in shops I never go into or other places I never go. Like, are there any trees on Pirate's Lair, for example? Getting the ones in restaurants will be tough if I don't eat at those places, but I did get the Goofy's Kitchen tree, which I posted earlier in this thread.

Anyway, I found this link (below) to a story on the DLR Christmas trees from back in 2003, with pictures of some of them. I would imagine that more trees have been added in the last 6 years, but this gives you an idea of what kinds of trees there are to look for - maybe we can all take on this challenge and try to get as many of the 700 trees photographed as possible!:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm031203lp.htm

700? Wow. I will take pictures of every one I see. :thumbsup2

I just realized that I have never seen the Christmas fireworks. My last 2 Christmas visits were during the 50th so they showed Remember, which is my absolute favorite. What is Believe in Holiday Magic like?

I just realized that I have never seen the Christmas fireworks. My last 2 Christmas visits were during the 50th so they showed Remember, which is my absolute favorite. What is Believe in Holiday Magic like?

Yes, 700 trees is the number that was given on the little news piece I saw last year. Of course, they also gave stats on exactly how many miles of garland are strung around the Resort and how many lights everywhere, etc., but the 700 trees stuck out in my mind for some reason. Then I started thinking about all the trees I have overlooked and I noticed more of them when I went in December - like even little baby trees in a couple of shop window displays - and how easily theyn can add up to 700. Even just going into the Reindeer Round-Up, you see many trees (most of them bare and not decorated) lined up around it and little trees in the planters. But there are so many actual shops I have never gone into during the holidays to see what kinds of trees they have up - like I could not tell you what the shop trees in Frontierland look like, for example, or what each tree looks like in all the New Orleans Square stores. I never paid attention to the different trees in World of Disney. I was trying to get photos of all the ToonTown trees last year but my camera died. So now I feel like I want a whole day and night at Disneyland by myself - just so I can scout out trees!!!

You know, I hate to admit it, but we only saw a teeny bit of the Christmas fireworks. Usually we are not big fireworks people, and have actually had much success in getting on POTC during fireworks when the line is non-existent. So I couldn't give you a complete recap of Believe in Holiday Magic, but it looked cool from the little bit I saw. This last trip, I wanted to see the Halloween Screams fireworks because it involved Villains and songs and things, but normally we don't stop anywhere to see fireworks. That may have to do with the fact that my regular Disneyland traveling companon lives a few blocks away from DLR and hears from her house them every night - so she is bit anti-fireworks now!!:lmao:

Well, today is the day, everyone!:santa::santa: Holidaytime at DLR begins!!!:santa::santa: I am SO excited and I am not even there!:lmao: So we really need to keep this thread alive so people who are coming back from DLR can begin to post their photos here! I want to see pictures of all of those Christmas trees hiding around the Resort! I want to see photos of any holiday food! I want to see the lights and decorations! I want to see any really cool new merchandise! I want to see Santa! Post it all here! We must keep this thread alive (thank you, Paper Doll, for bumping last night!:goodvibes)

we are talking about going to DL on the 22 of Nov (i think it is that date, the weekend before thanksgiving)
my husband is in the military and leaves early Dec
and
i saw an ad on the computer and mentioned it to him
he is VERY good about things like this (vacations etc)

and so he looked it up
we are talking about staying 2 days at the GC
i am KIND of pushing for 3 days
but the park tickets are a lot x's 4
so then i suggested
2 day park hopper
and 1 day at DL
and 3 nights at the GC

anyway
we are seeing how we can find the best deal.

we've been 2 years before (and to DW) but this will be our first time at Christmas time
i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited
we haven't mentioned it to the girls--until we get our exact date down.

i am a HUGE picture taker (got a d90 for mom's day) so i will upload fun things when we get back

My first trip to DL was during the Holidays in 2005. I prefer the Holiday extras!! You can also go on a Holiday Magic Tour where a cast member takes you through the park to show you some Holiday secrets and you ride Small World and Haunted Mansion. You also get preferred seating for the Christmas parade!! So much fun!! Happy Holidays Everyone!!

Hey
sreace where can i find information on the Holiday Magic Tour? do you know if they still offer this?

This is from another thread:
This info is copied from the Disney site:
The "Holiday Time at Disneyland" Tour takes you on an unforgettable holiday celebration! Discover the holiday history of Disneyland® Park and learn about holiday traditions of cultures around the world. Get a closer look of spectacularly redecorated sites and attractions on a sprawling tour taking you from a very merry Main Street, U.S.A. to the front seats of the enchanting "A Christmas Fantasy" Parade!

Tour highlights:
Priority boarding onto two holiday-themed attractions
A collectable tour tag ornament
A sweet treat and beverage
A collectible trading pin (exclusive to Tour Guests)
Audio enhanced tour
Reserved seating for "A Christmas Fantasy" parade
Tours may be booked up to 30 days in advance by calling (714) 781-4400† or by visiting City Hall, Tour Gardens or the Guest Relations Lobby.
Tour Length: Approximately 3 hours.
Availability: November 13, 2009 through January 3, 2010.

Price Info: $64 per person
Discounts: Deluxe Annual Passholders, Premium Annual Passholders, AAA Members, or Disney Visa cardholders receive a 20% discount.

I can't wait to sign up!

In my opinion, Believe in Holiday Magic is the 2nd best Disney fireworks show I've ever seen only behind (and it's a close competition) Remember Dreams Come True.

I think the show does a tremendous job of celebrating the fun aspects of Christmas while also touching on the spritual aspect of Christ's birth.

FWIW, my rankings of Disney fireworks shows that I've seen in person and remember. I enjoy all of these shows, but this is how I rank them:

1. Remember Dreams Come True (Disneyland)
2. Believe in Holiday Magic (Disneyland)
3. Illuminations: Reflections of Earth (Epcot)
4. Halloween Screams (Disneyland)
5. Magical (Disneyland)
6. Wishes (Magic Kingdom)

Doing Disneyland during the Christmas Holidays is absolutely fantastic. Disneyland is magical enough on it's own, so to do it during the holidays is incredible! I'll try to make it home and look for some of my christmas holiday/Disneyland pictures from last year.

Please send me a pm, if I dont get it done tonight because it means I will have forgotten.

You will LOVE your trip!

In my opinion, Believe in Holiday Magic is the 2nd best Disney fireworks show I've ever seen only behind (and it's a close competition) Remember Dreams Come True.

I think the show does a tremendous job of celebrating the fun aspects of Christmas while also touching on the spritual aspect of Christ's birth.

FWIW, my rankings of Disney fireworks shows that I've seen in person and remember. I enjoy all of these shows, but this is how I rank them:

1. Remember Dreams Come True (Disneyland)
2. Believe in Holiday Magic (Disneyland)
3. Illuminations: Reflections of Earth (Epcot)
4. Halloween Screams (Disneyland)
5. Magical (Disneyland)
6. Wishes (Magic Kingdom)

Thanks - good to know. I compare everything to Remember, so good to hear I won't be disappointed.

SherryE, you crack me up each year with your fascination with the 700 trees!!! LOL If you are hunting to find them, don't forget every area of the hotels - lobby, restaurants, shops, and on and on. :)

Disneyland is gorgeous when decorated for Christmas. I always hold hope that there will be some Channukah decorations somewhere one year.... At least there is a Channukah song included in the fireworks show.

HI everyone, I usually hang out on the DISabilities board and we are WDW vets. My DH and I decided a few days ago that we wanted to surprise our two youngest children with a quick trip to Disneyland! We are driving from Texas and have never done Disneyland at Christmas and have not done Disneyland at all since our older kids were very small!! I am so excited to share Disneyland with our little ones DS7 and DD4!
We will be staying at the DLH for three nights Nov 17 - Nov 20. I have seen lots of posts about how crowded DLR is the week of Thanksgiving and the week after,but not much mention of how it will be the week prior to Thanksgiving. Our DS7 is in a wheelchair and is a bit overwhelmed in a huge crowd (because he is so low to the ground I guess). Can anyone tell me what we might expect next week in the way of crowds?
Also, can someone tell me what the Princess Faire is and where it is located? My DD4 is a princess fan!
Thanks in advance!!
Angela

HI everyone, I usually hang out on the DISabilities board and we are WDW vets. My DH and I decided a few days ago that we wanted to surprise our two youngest children with a quick trip to Disneyland! We are driving from Texas and have never done Disneyland at Christmas and have not done Disneyland at all since our older kids were very small!! I am so excited to share Disneyland with our little ones DS7 and DD4!
We will be staying at the DLH for three nights Nov 17 - Nov 20. I have seen lots of posts about how crowded DLR is the week of Thanksgiving and the week after,but not much mention of how it will be the week prior to Thanksgiving. Our DS7 is in a wheelchair and is a bit overwhelmed in a huge crowd (because he is so low to the ground I guess). Can anyone tell me what we might expect next week in the way of crowds?
Also, can someone tell me what the Princess Faire is and where it is located? My DD4 is a princess fan!
Thanks in advance!!
Angela

If you are going during the week, the crowds will probably be reasonable, but since the Christmas season just started, the weekends especially can get a little crowded.
The Princess Fantasy Faire is in the back of Fantasyland, next to IASW & in front of Toontown. There is a meet & greet w/ princesses that I heard can be 2 hrs. long! They might also still have crafts there, but I'm not so sure about that. I usually don't go there. And if you're going to DCA, Ariel's Grotto is a great place to eat & meet the princesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter