disney at christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

stitchsclan

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,
hubby and I are thinking of suprising the crumb catchers with a trip to disneyland over christmas, never having traveled over christmas at all, I just wanted some opinions what is the park like, is it worth it that kinda thing

thanks

It's incredible at that time of year. We are not religious, we don't really celebrate xmas at all, but we love being there, and have been there the last two early Decembers. It's just marvelous.

I do recommend going as early in December as you can, rather than going right near the actual holiday, because crowds build and build and build as it gets closer!

I have been down there the last 2 christmas's immediately after school let out. 2 years ago it was pretty crowded, but no worse than that summer was, and last year the crowds were lighter, as they were all year long.

It's a great time to be at DL, and personally I really like the shorter days, because you get to spend a lot more time with it all lit up, and to me, that's when the decorations really shine.

If you get there early and take advantage of the Fast Pass system, you should have a great time.

Christmas at DLR is absolutely worth it!:thumbsup2 Like Molly said, it is incredible - no matter what your faith or spiritual/religious beliefs are, people agree that it is just beautiful at DLR during that time of year and everyone should experience it. If I had a choice to go to DLR only one time in a year, for one day only, or one time after not having been there for several years, it would be during the holiday season. It is absolutely my favorite time to be there.

I guess one way to describe it would be that DLR, in general, has a certain 'magical/fantasy-like' quality that everyone who loves DLR feels and recognizes when they are there. So take that feeling, amp it up and multiply it by 1000 and you have DLR during Christmastime.

First of all, there is the Winter Castle, which seems to sparkle and glow incandescently throughout the park. At certain times during each night, the 'icicles' on the Castle illuminate and there is a little light show that extends from there, all the way up Main Street, to the huge Christmas tree. Then the 'snow' (suds, basically) falls on Main Street.

Then, there are the ride overlays: there is the jaw-droppingly beautiful IASW Holiday, which, in the daytime is mildly impressive, but at night, draws crowds from all corners of both parks to gaze at its stunning, colorful facade. Inside the ride, everything has been transformed for the season, and the usual IASW song has been mixed in with holiday tunes. The smells of peppermint and some sort of pine waft through the air. Of course, there is also the wonderful Haunted Mansion Holiday, which makes its first appearance in late September and lasts until January. Every year there is a new, fresh gingerbread 'house' sitting on the table in the banquet scene (last year it was a coffin), and a snowdrift Hidden Mickey on the ballroom floor. As you pass by this scene, you get a strong whiff of gingerbread.

Add to those things the special holiday food items such as cookies and peppermint pot cake and cider (who doesn't love the gingerbread men 'with ears' cookies and the peppermint goodies?), the aromas, the colors, the lights, the decorations - there are miles of garland strung aroud the parks, and no fewer than 700 Christmas trees of all sizes scattered about DLR. They are everywhere - in all the shops, in all the restaurants, in all the DLR hotels, throughout DTD, in store window displays, and of course, in the 2 parks. ToonTown and A Bug's Land have their own unique decorations, and New Orleans Square has his its own kind of Mardi Gras-flavored adornments. Plus, Santa can be found at the Reindeer Roundup in DL, and at all 3 hotels (at the GCH, he is a PhotoPass opportunity). Christmas carolers stroll through DLR, and they perform (they take requests) every night in the huge GCH lobby by the tree. Guitar and piano players provide constant holiday background music in the GCH when the carolers are not singing.

Speaking of music, let me also not forget the sounds of the season at DLR, especially in DL. As you make your way from land to land, you will notice that the Christmas songs change style, depending on where you are. In Adventureland, you may hear a steel drum/calyspo-influenced version of "Deck the Halls," for example, and as you move into Frontierland, you will notice the Yuletide tunes (playing as ambient noise) are now performed with banjos or in country-western style. Expectedly, in NOS, you can hear "Jingle Bells" done up in a jazzy, French Quarter kind of way.

So have I convinced you that it is worth it yet?;)

Sherry- just curious- what is peppermint pot cake? is that like the magic brownies? :lmao: Must be really a magical place at christmas time!
:rotfl2:

But seriously, you wrote that really beautifully! I cant wait to go at Christmas time!
~Tinksdreamwishes!

Sherry I was half convinced to go, but now I have to, it sounds absolutly amazing

Good! Yes, everyone should experience it at least once, even if only for one day. The whole resort - every foot of it - is immersed in the holiday feeling, everywhere you go. Even when you go over to DCA, you will notice that their Christmas songs playing are in more of the California style, so you might hear a Beach Boys version of a Yuletide classic. The attention to detail at DLR never ceases to amaze me.

Sherry- just curious- what is peppermint pot cake? is that like the magic brownies? :lmao: Must be really a magical place at christmas time!
:rotfl2:

But seriously, you wrote that really beautifully! I cant wait to go at Christmas time!
~Tinksdreamwishes!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:That would be a little TOO much magic for DLR to handle, I think, if they made that kind of cake! First of all, all the treats, snacks and goodies would be sold out to 'hungry' guests throughout the resort, and no one would go on any rides because they would be too 'mellow' to move off the benches!!:rotfl2::rotfl2: No, JUST KIDDING, everyone.:goodvibes

But seriously, someone on the DIS mentioned last year that the name Peppermint Pot Cake was not a very good one! Actually, it has a longer, fancier name (don't ask me to remember it), but it basically boils down to Peppermint Pot Cake! Essentially, what it is a small portion of peppermint cake in a mug (which is the 'pot,' I guess). They pour some sort of peppermint sauce on the cake, I think, add in a dollop of whipped cream and hang a candy cane off the side of the special collectors holiday mug. Voila! Peppermint pot cake! It is sold at Blue Ribbon Bakery, I think, as well as the Plaza Inn. In fact, someone on the Dining thread posted a photo of it last year, so I have to find it and show it to you.

Here is a link to photos posted by Prettyprincessbelle of the Peppermint Pot Cake:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=29170269&postcount=1075

And - are you guys ready to REALLY get into the mood for some holiday goodies? Here is the list posted by Cast Member Glendalais (last year), with some additions from me, of ALL the seasonal/holiday treats that were available for Christmastime (and some Halloween stuff too):

(Holiday) Brownie
• Blue Ribbon Bakery, Main Street USA, Disneyland Park
• Refreshment Corner, Main Street USA, Disneyland Park
• Royal Street Veranda, New Orleans Square, Disneyland Park
• Tomorrowland Terrace, Tomorrowland, Disneyland Park
• Redd Rockett's Pizza Port, Tomorrowland, Disneyland Park
• Baker's Field Bakery, Sunshine Plaza,
Disney's California Adventure Park
• Award Wieners, Hollywood Pictures Backlot,
• Taste Pilots Grill, Golden State, Disney's California Adventure Park
• Pizza Oom Mow Mow, Paradise Pier,
• Surfside Lounge, Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
• Coffee House, Disneyland Hotel
• Whitewater Snacks, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa
• Hearthstone Lounge, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa

Brownie Funnel Cake With Sprinkles
• Hungry Bear Restaurant, Critter Country, Disneyland Park
• Stage Door Café, Frontierland, Disneyland Park
• Mint Julep Bar, New Orleans Square, Disneyland Park

Caramel Apples – Snowman and Peppermint/Pumpkin Mickey
• Pooh’s Corner, Critter Country, Disneyland

Chicken Alfredo with Tomato & Basil Pizza

Christmas Demitasse Dessert (I think this might be the Peppermint Pot Cake!!)
• Plaza Inn Restaurant, Main Street USA, Disneyland Park
• Blue Bayou Restaurant, New Orleans Square, Disneyland Park
• Café Orleans, New Orleans Square, Disneyland Park
• Wine Country Trattoria, Golden State,
• Storytellers Café, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa

(Holiday) Coffee/Hot Chocolate Mugs
• Bengal Barbeque, Adventureland, Disneyland Park
• Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante, Frontierland, Disneyland Park
• River Belle Terrace, Frontierland, Disneyland Park
• The Golden Horseshoe, Frontierland, Disneyland Park
• Village Haus, Fantasyland, Disneyland Park
• Clarabelle's, Mickey's Toontown, Disneyland Park
• Pluto's Dog House, Mickey's Toontown, Disneyland Park
• Daisy's Diner, Mickey's Toontown, Disneyland Park
• Pacific Wharf Café, Golden State, Disney's California Adventure Park
• Crocks Bits 'n' Bites, Disneyland Hotel
• Hearthstone Lodge, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa
• Market House, Main Street, Disneyland

Cranberry-Orange Bread

(Holiday) Cupcakes – Peppermint and Pumpkin
• Marceline’s Confectionery, Downtown Disney
• Blue Ribbon Bakery, Main Street, Disneyland

Eggnog
• Carnation Café, Main Street USA, Disneyland Park

Eggnog Latte

Gingerbread Man Cookies with Mickey Ears
• Candy Palace, Main Street, Disneyland

Haunted Mansion Holiday Coffee/Hot Chocolate Mug
• French Market, New Orleans Square, Disneyland Park

Jack Skellington Cheese Cake/Death by Chocolate cake
• French Market, New Orleans Square, Disneyland Park

Marshmallow Snowmen
• Greetings from California, Disney’s California Adventure

Peppermint Fudge/Pumpkin Fudge
• Pooh Corner, Critter Country, Disneyland
• Market House, Main Street, Disneyland
• Greetings from California, Disney’s California Adventure

Peppermint Ice Cream/Peppermint Coated Waffle Cone/Holiday Sprinkles
• Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor, Main Street USA, Disneyland Park
• Bur-r-bank Ice Cream, Sunshine Plaza,

Peppermint Mocha

Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Pumpkin Muffin
• Pacific Wharf Café, Golden State,

Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Spice Latte

Snowflake Rice Krispy Treat
• Refreshment Corner, Main Street USA, Disneyland Park
• Bengal Barbeque, Adventureland, Disneyland Park
• The Golden Horseshoe, Frontierland, Disneyland Park
• Village Haus, Fantasyland, Disneyland Park
• Clarabelle's, Mickey's Toontown, Disneyland Park
• Pluto's Dog House, Mickey's Toontown, Disneyland Park
• Daisy's Diner, Mickey's Toontown, Disneyland Park
• Woody's Round-Up, Frontierland, Disneyland Park
• Award Wieners, Hollywood Pictures Backlot,
• Schmoozies, Hollywood Pictures Backlot,
• Taste Pilots Grill, Golden State, Disney's California Adventure Park
• Catch a Flave, Paradise Pier, Disney's California Adventure Park
• Farmer's Market, a bug's land, Disney's California Adventure Park

Snowman & Christmas Tree Shortbread Cookies
• Pacific Wharf Café, Golden State,
• Marceline's Conectionery

(Holiday) Sourdough Bread (Snowman and Candy Cane Shapes)
• Farmer's Market Fruit Cart, a bug's land,

Spiced Caramel Apple Cider

(Holiday) Tres Leches Cake
• Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante, Frontierland, Disneyland Park
• Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill, Golden State, Disneyland Park

Yule Logs

I don't know how much of all this stuff on the list will be there again this year, but I think it is safe to say that quite a bit of it will be available.

Ok sherry. I'm at DL now but reading your thread makes me want it to be the holidays now.

BTW, I loved iasw today but I definitely prefer hmh over hm. I missed the gingerbread smell but found the hidden Mickey in the dinner plates.

My family loves Christmas at Disneyland. Here are some pictures from our last trip at Christmas time in 2007.

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2176_2.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2182_2.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2256_2.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

steph

Ok so this has almost convinced me that I need to fly halfway across the world next year for Christmas.

So when do they start with all the deco's and Christmas food and stuff? Is it just at actual Christmas time or is it the whole of December?

I want to go!!!!!

xxx

Ok sherry. I'm at DL now but reading your thread makes me want it to be the holidays now.

BTW, I loved iasw today but I definitely prefer hmh over hm. I missed the gingerbread smell but found the hidden Mickey in the dinner plates.

The snowdrift Hidden Mickey in HMH is so cool because you don't see it during Halloweentime, even though the ride is the same. Instead, you see it during the Christmas season...so in typical Disney fashion, it is a very carefully thought out and timed Hidden Mickey! I love that gingerbread smell too!! I am so excited for the holidays at DLR again that I am almost willing to skip my intended Halloweentime visit there.

Ok so this has almost convinced me that I need to fly halfway across the world next year for Christmas.

So when do they start with all the deco's and Christmas food and stuff? Is it just at actual Christmas time or is it the whole of December?

I want to go!!!!!

xxx

Some of the food items on that list I posted will be there during the Halloween season and carry through the Christmas season. Otherwise, they will probably be there in early November. We on the DIS thought that the holiday season would be starting on November 20 this year (it usually starts a week before Thanksgiving), but it looks as if it is going to start one week earlier - on November 13!!!!:cool1: So, for sure, all the food will be out at that time and last until early January!

I can do a pretty good job of describing DLR during the holidays (because I love it so much), but then I remembered I had that list of food from last stored on my computer, and so that, along with 21yankees' great photos, we can make a pretty compelling point as to why anyone should visit DLR during that time! And you know we did a good job if someone wants to fly halfway around the world to get there!!:rotfl2:

Sherry, there you go again! I would be going crazy about now dying to be there, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm going to be there this year! Remind me not to read your posts when I can't go for Christmas or I will go insane.

Sherry- just curious- what is peppermint pot cake? is that like the magic brownies?
Too funny! :lmao::hippie:

Sherry, there you go again! I would be going crazy about now dying to be there, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm going to be there this year! Remind me not to read your posts when I can't go for Christmas or I will go insane.

Too funny! :lmao::hippie:

Thank goodness you have a plan to go this year! But yes, any other time when you don't have a holiday DLR plan, avoid my Disney Holiday posts altogether!:rotfl2::rotfl2: You see the monster I have created now - someone on this thread wants to fly halfway around the world to get to DLR during holiday time!!

You know, it is easy to give you guys all these fun and detailed descriptions of what is happening at DLR during the Christmas season and my opinions of all of it and how much I love it, but the proof will be in the pudding, as they say, and you will see that when you get there. Everything I told you about it is true - and MORE. I wish I could say I was exaggerating, but I think everyone who has been to DLR during the holidays pretty much agrees on how wonderful it is - you notice you don't see a whole lot of disagreements on the DIS about whether or not DLR during the holidays is something worthwhile to see. There is just really no denying it - again, no matter what your faith or religious beliefs, everyone can agree that DLR at holiday time is just beautiful and exquisite! There is nothing to dislike about it (other than the crowds which can accumulate) and everything to love about it!!:thumbsup2

I thought I would throw these in, just to add further to the temptation of visiting DLR at Christmastime...and get us all in the mood for it since we still have 3 long months to wait! Sorry for the jumbo size of the photos - I loaded them to Photobucket and forgot to set the size/dimensions before I did, so when I tried to go back and resize each one individually, my computer was taking like 30 minutes per photo to resize, and I just couldn't do it!!

017_17.jpg

008_8.jpg

020_5A-1-1.jpg

005_21A.jpg

023_2A-1.jpg

024_1A-1.jpg

003_22A-2.jpg

005_19A.jpg

008_16A.jpg

013_10A-2.jpg

023_2A.jpg

003_22A-1.jpg

001_24A-1.jpg

002_23A-1.jpg

007_4.jpg

DISNEYLANDMOUSEWREATHDEC1993.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

disney6.jpg

Right before...
disney4.jpg

And SNOW!...
disney4.jpg

disney3.jpg

disney2.jpg

And possibly the Disney photo I am most proud of...
disney1.jpg

Disney lights are mesmerizing to me,
Dreams

Now that looks amazing! We are going for the first time this October but the wheels are already spinning for Christmas 2010!

Wow...the castle looks even more magical during the holidays! Now I just need to finalize my plans and decide when to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!