Disney and Autism Photos

such lovely pictures i especially like the carousel ones and the teacups such a gorgeous princess princess:

here's a younger one of my daughter in paris 05 in "the hiccups" as she calls them with granny and her brother, you guessed it the idea is to spin so fast they make you hiccup :laughing:

disneylandparis063.jpg
[/IMG]

and here's James also paris 05 and he's not too keen with mr smead touching him

disneylandparis080.jpg
[/IMG]

He even wrote a book about himself called "The Same But Different...Explaining my life with Asperger's Syndrome" to share with kids in school about his differences but about how everyone is really a bit different in their own way. It went over really well & when we moved to a new school district (and a whole new way of life--suburbs to rural) he did great.
QUOTE]

Wow, maybe you should think about having it published!

Thanks Luci, I told him & he just grinned & said to say thanks to you. To clarify he has Asperger's Syndrome and is doing really fantastic these past few years. He even wrote a book about himself called "The Same But Different...Explaining my life with Asperger's Syndrome" to share with kids in school about his differences but about how everyone is really a bit different in their own way. It went over really well & when we moved to a new school district (and a whole new way of life--suburbs to rural) he did great.

Oh--and Ariel's Grotto, at least the way it was pictured, no longer exists that way IIRC, it was torn down for the Pooh Playground..I think!

That is awesome! I would love to read it sometime. I think it would provide so much insight to not only other children but parents of children with ASD. Please look into publishing his book.

Karen;
I'd love to read it, too. Your son is so handsome.

I can't get over how cute everybody's kids are

Nicole

So do we get to see it?? pirate:
I wish I could post it, but with ds being in high school, I don't think I should. I wouldn't want one of his classmates to recognize him and make fun of him.
He wouldn't want me to post them, either!
My pics of ds from earlier trips are of him standing three or four feet away from the characters, or hiding behind another family member. Happily he now sometimes poses for pictures, and even asks me to take some.

I do love looking at other's pictures! The carousel one is priceless, the gleam in her eyes is amazing.

Here's a few photos I have to share. These were taken about two weeks after she was diagnosed as being on the ASD spectrum (PDD).

We stayed at the Polynesian and here is my daughter on the patio with her Pal Mickey:

PC210381.jpg

The Polynesian became our 'oasis' away from the overstimulation in the parks. My daughter is sensory-seeking so all the lush foliage, Hawaiian music and the beach (not to mention the volcano pool) is really relaxing for her.

It was actually her idea to buy Pal Mickey with her Christmas money and turned out to be the best thing for her! He keeps her entertained and she's always so excited when he starts shaking and she says, "What's that, Mickey?"

My DD Avery at the Hollywood and Vine breakfast
PC202174_Avery_Play_N_Dine_2.jpg

Avery is a born performer and had the time of her life at the Hollywood and Vine breakfast with the characters. Afterwards the CM came up to me and told me how wonderful of a voice my DD has. It just reinforced to me how special she is!

The both of us with 'Pirate' Minnie Mouse on the Disney Wonder
PC230433.jpg

Minnie Mouse is Avery's favorite non-Princess Character. Actually she's tied with Lilo for this honor. She thought it was cool that the characters 'followed' us on the cruise ship!

Avery heads for breakfast at Cinderella's Castle
PC181995.jpg

This photo brings tears to my eyes each time I see it. The World is where she feels she belongs so easily. She makes so much progress from every trip we make there!

Wow. Great pics, everyone!!! If this thread isn't completely buried in April I hope to have some photos of my little one, too.

MsStinkerBelle - how was the Playhouse Disney character meal at H&V?

PC181995.jpg

This photo brings tears to my eyes each time I see it. The World is where she feels she belongs so easily. She makes so much progress from every trip we make there!

Love this picture!! She is beautiful, the pix at the poly are wonderful, I can just see her enjoying all the sensory there!!

Wow. Great pics, everyone!!! If this thread isn't completely buried in April I hope to have some photos of my little one, too.

MsStinkerBelle - how was the Playhouse Disney character meal at H&V?

We get back April 7th, I'll help you dig it out! princess:

PC181995.jpg

Wow! This photo is amazing! Looks like it should be in a Disney brochure! :thumbsup2

All the photos on this thread are wonderful! You've all got such adorable kids, and even when they're refusing to look at the camera, you can see what a wonderful time they're having! Disney truly is the best medicine, isn't it? :goodvibes

Wow your son is brave!! I can't imagine taking my 4yo on TOT, I thought he was going to have a heart attack on Dinosaur! Afterwards he kept trying to point his stroller toward the entrance so we could go home!

FWIW - My DS9 (not ASD) loves TOT and rode it multiple times. He went on Dinosaur once on our last trip (at 8) and said never again! He said it was scary and NOT FUN!

MsStinkerBelle - I totally agree about the Cinderalla/ castle photo! That would be a great PR pic for Disney. It's just beautiful.

Here's a few photos I have to share. These were taken about two weeks after she was diagnosed as being on the ASD spectrum (PDD).

We stayed at the Polynesian and here is my daughter on the patio with her Pal Mickey:

PC210381.jpg

The Polynesian became our 'oasis' away from the overstimulation in the parks. My daughter is sensory-seeking so all the lush foliage, Hawaiian music and the beach (not to mention the volcano pool) is really relaxing for her.

It was actually her idea to buy Pal Mickey with her Christmas money and turned out to be the best thing for her! He keeps her entertained and she's always so excited when he starts shaking and she says, "What's that, Mickey?"

My DD Avery at the Hollywood and Vine breakfast
PC202174_Avery_Play_N_Dine_2.jpg

Avery is a born performer and had the time of her life at the Hollywood and Vine breakfast with the characters. Afterwards the CM came up to me and told me how wonderful of a voice my DD has. It just reinforced to me how special she is!

The both of us with 'Pirate' Minnie Mouse on the Disney Wonder
PC230433.jpg

Minnie Mouse is Avery's favorite non-Princess Character. Actually she's tied with Lilo for this honor. She thought it was cool that the characters 'followed' us on the cruise ship!

PC181995.jpg

I Love the photos! I can totally relate with the comment you made about progress with every trip to WDW. I always say that about my son. He will be 5 in May and has been to WDW 4x so far. Everytime we are there, he seems to make more progress with the 1-2 week trip vs. months of therapy @ Preschool and with his TSS. We're in PA, too. Thanks for sharing!

Here are a few pics of my son who is diagnosed with Autism (PPD/NOS) @ WDW with his sisters. I love these pictures, but I couldn't get the yellow spoon from him all day. He grabbed it from our room before heading to the Castle for breakfast and there was NO WAY we could distract him to get it. So, We have great pictures of him with that yellow spoon.
image079.jpg
image115.jpg
PICT29762.jpg
PICT29822.jpg

PC181995.jpg

That is one beautiful picture. I just adore that one. I hope that is blown up and framed.

Here are a few pics of my son who is diagnosed with Autism (PPD/NOS) @ WDW with his sisters. I love these pictures, but I couldn't get the yellow spoon from him all day. He grabbed it from our room before heading to the Castle for breakfast and there was NO WAY we could distract him to get it. So, We have great pictures of him with that yellow spoon.
image079.jpg
image115.jpg
PICT29762.jpg
PICT29822.jpg

Hey I know that little guy! I still love how serious all the girls look in that picture! haha I love the Prince outfit.

That picture with Cindy is so sweet!

Oh we had a spoon issue today! I was able to get it from Georgia after 9 hours.

1Prince3Princesses said:
Obviously, that spoon came in handy for him.;)
It reminds me of Dumbo, where Dumbo did not think he could fly unless he was holding the "magic" feather in his trunk. He could fly, but the magic of the feather was the confidence it gave him.
Your pictures are wonderful and it looks like the "magic" spoon probably helped him bring a little bit of a 'safe' place with him.:goodvibes

I love seeing everyone's pix! My boys aren't autistic, but I could definitely relate to the spoon story. My boys will sometimes want to hold the same object all day too--most recently it was my old 2005 guide to WDW! LOL

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your beautiful children!!! DD (18) is a therapist for children with Autism. she says it is very challenging at times but also very rewarding; she really loves working with these kids. I can't wait to share this thread with her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter