**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

It was freezing here today too. I think it was like -10 with wind chill. It’s showing next weekend to be a high of -4....I can’t wait to have 45 degree weather in Florida lol. I still plan to bring a hat and gloves just in case though

I agree that the 2/21 event we are attending has always been showing that it started at 9, but doesn't it run till midnight, not 11?

My goodness yes, my bad, 9-12. Sorry about that. Will fix my post. Thank you for pointing that out.

Question about this after dark thing. Last time I went 8 years ago I did not have to purchase any after dark ticket to see the fireworks at the end of the night. Do I have to do so now just to see fireworks? Also how in the world with they know who has what type of ticket to police this? I mean ok maybe you say they check your ticket for the rides. But what if you do not care about the rides you just want to see the fireworks. When we were last there I could have sworn they did the fireworks every night. Is this not the case anymore?

Question about this after dark thing. Last time I went 8 years ago I did not have to purchase any after dark ticket to see the fireworks at the end of the night. Do I have to do so now just to see fireworks? Also how in the world with they know who has what type of ticket to police this? I mean ok maybe you say they check your ticket for the rides. But what if you do not care about the rides you just want to see the fireworks. When we were last there I could have sworn they did the fireworks every night. Is this not the case anymore?

From the Post #8 FAQ on this thread. This is written from the perspective of someone attending DAH, but same concepts apply to your question. All nighttime entertainment options (Happily Ever After, in the case of MK) are available to all guests, not just Disney After Hours ticket holders.

An Important Difference Between DAH & MNSSHP/MVMCP
  • Disney After Hours is "hard-ticket" event similar to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (MVMCP), except that it takes place after the 'normal' park closing time for that day.
  • Unlike MNSSHP and MVMCP, for DAH Disney does NOT "clear" the park of day guests for the event.
    • Day guests can get in a ride line up until 1 minute before closing time and are free to leave the park, shop, etc at their leisure after regular park closing time just like any regular night in the Magic Kingdom.
    • DAH credentials (lanyards or wristbands) are needed to enter a ride line once the event begins.
    • Disney has historically been very strict with enforcement of needing to see DAH credentials at line entrances.
    • In this regard, DAH operates in a similar manner to PM Extra Magic Hours vs the 'park clearing' you see with MNSSHP and MVMCP.

Day Guest Carry-Over Into DAH Event Time from Rides and/or Nighttime Entertainment

• As noted above, day guests can enter a ride line 1 minute before park closing.
  • Also, depending on the date, some nighttime entertainment such as Happily Ever After (HEA) or Once Upon a Time (OUAT) can be scheduled to begin at the same time the DAH event starts.
  • If HEA is scheduled for the same time as the DAH start time, yes, there will be a large crowd still in the park for the first part of your DAH time.
  • Historically this has not had a material impact on DAH, but some may not like the fact daytime entertainment carries over into "paid event time."

Peter pans flight is listed, at the beginning of this thread, to be closed through Jan 24... But many other sources such as touring plans, have it closed through Feb 2...
Also many sites claim tomorrowland Speedway is closed as well, but this thread has it as "open".
So just wondering what's right and wrong here lol. I'll be there Jan 24 and 28

Thanks!

Peter pans flight is listed, at the beginning of this thread, to be closed through Jan 24... But many other sources such as touring plans, have it closed through Feb 2...
Also many sites claim tomorrowland Speedway is closed as well, but this thread has it as "open".
So just wondering what's right and wrong here lol. I'll be there Jan 24 and 28

Thanks!

The 1/24 reference on Post #5 for PP’s closure refers to last DAH event date where it is closed, not the end of its closure for refurbishment. I’d go with whatever you see on refurbishment lists for when the ride is expected to open.

I need to update Post #5 with Speedway’s closure, that list is from pre-Speedway closure and an oversight on my part.

The 1/24 reference on Post #5 for PP’s closure refers to last DAH event date where it is closed, not the end of its closure for refurbishment. I’d go with whatever you see on refurbishment lists for when the ride is expected to open.

I need to update Post #5 with Speedway’s closure, that list is from pre-Speedway closure and an oversight on my part.

Gotcha! Thanks!

Well, one DAH down, 2 to go in March. :)
We went Jan 17th- DH, who is not a super fan of Disney,, :rolleyes: I know,, said if we were to do DAH on our future trips, he'd be in. Usually we go without him :teeth:
It was fun, and a fantastic way to accomplish a lot without the heat and crowds. The free snacks/drinks is an added bonus.
SDMT was down, as was already reported. We got in line around 10:20ish, waited 19 minutes. It looked shorter when we got off, but DS6 wanted to hit SM one more time before leaving.
We hit everything we wanted to, plus sat down to enjoy ice cream bars a couple of times.
Pirates at 7:15, 5 min wait.
Carpets 5ish minutes.
BTMRR during fireworks 2x, no wait 2nd ride. I really enjoy doing this if I am not watching from the dessert party. :)
Snack break
HM
LM
SM
Buzz
Back by to check on SDMT, no go, so DS wanted to hit BTMRR again. About a 10 min wait this time, little frustrating
Break, snack, then saw SDMT was up, so hit it
SM again
time to go
We could have hit more, but we were taking it easy, enjoying the room to move. :thumbsup2 DS didn't want to do Pooh, or IASW, or Dumbo. It was his Bday trip, so his choice. :)

Look forward to DAH at AK and DHS Spring Break, especially after going to AK Friday and :crowded:

Yes but technically PP should still be closed for 1/28.... maybe they are expecting it to be done early.

Yes but technically PP should still be closed for 1/28.... maybe they are expecting it to be done early.

Good point. Actually, now that I’m looking at this again, my guess is that the WDW website language which doesn’t include 1/28 as a date PP won’t be available for DAH is probably inaccurate. They don’t have the best track record for full accuracy with these kinds of details, especially ones like that may have changed over time.

For comparison, on the EMM page, 2/5 is listed as a date PP won’t be available, but it appears from most refurb calendars to be scheduled to reopen 2/2.

So go figure!! :-)

Hi I’m going to the afterhour event at magic kingdom in March. We won’t have park tickets just the after hour tickets. Are we able to book a fp for 7pm before the actual event starts? Thanks!
Yes. With just an event ticket MDE allows you to book FP+ for any time during the day of the party. We went last week and were allowed in a 6. We had our first FP+ booked 5:30-6:30.

Good point. Actually, now that I’m looking at this again, my guess is that the WDW website language which doesn’t include 1/28 as a date PP won’t be available for DAH is probably inaccurate. They don’t have the best track record for full accuracy with these kinds of details, especially ones like that may have changed over time.

For comparison, on the EMM page, 2/5 is listed as a date PP won’t be available, but it appears from most refurb calendars to be scheduled to reopen 2/2.

So go figure!! :-)
We have been before when PP has opened back up from refurb early so I will cross my fingers but expect the worst.

Just got home last night and waited until this morning for my report from this past Thursday, 1/17.

Loved it! We would do it again every time if it works out with our dates.
I will try to remember all the details I can.

Started a bit later than we wanted- we found ourselves in Fantasyland around 7:00-7:30. We wanted to start in Frontierland but we were chatting with friends and by then could not get around the castle. Grabbed a quick dinner at Cosmic Ray's (watched the fireworks from Tomorrowland) and we started right around 8.
I did the opposite of what I was planning and went right to 7DMT (it was up at this time) and it was walk on! I was shocked! We did it twice. I was hanging around the entrance of the ride and the CM (looked like a manager?) was asking to see everyone's wristbands. There were tons that were like "what?" and some that tried to sneak by. He caught them all and explained what was going on and that they can go buy tickets and come back.
We chatted and I asked him if it was a sold out night. He said they usually mention when it is- and he said he did not hear anything.

After 2x on 7D, we headed to HM and walked right into the Stretching Room.
Did Splash 2x each time with our own log. That was amazing!
Then we headed back and got the Lantern pic. About 6 people ahead of us.
In that line, I heard 7D was down so I am glad we started the night there even though that was not our plan.
Went by and 7D was still down so went and did Buzz 2x.
Then Pooh, Under the Sea, Dumbo and back to 7D.
7D was our last stop at about 10:50. Everyone was on this line but it went pretty fast- maybe 10-15 min.

In between we stopped for lots of ice cream! Never a line for any of the carts and we visited most of them! Got popcorn and tons of bottled waters.
All the CM's were wonderful and everyone was having a blast.

We stopped for lots of pics on the way out and we waited for the Kiss Goodnight at exactly 11:30. We took our time and saw the Kiss Goodnight again at 11:45. We waited in line for an empty Main Street pic and after us others were turned away.
We were the last ones out! Truly magical! Took tons of pics. It was us and the security guard making sure no one tried to get back up Main Street.

By the buses- we were asked where we were headed and he got a bus for us. The bus driver asked us what we were doing and I told him we were waiting for the Kiss Goodnight.

We loved this event- it was amazing!
When we went back on Sunday to MK- we were there 9am (could not make RD) and stayed past close- it was so nice to be able to do shows and other longer rides that we would not have done during After Hours. And even though it was busy on Sunday, I was able to keep getting FP's until 9:35.

It was worth the money and would do it every time! Loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter