Disney after divorce

First remember that you will have fun and YOU can do it. My experience is a little different. Never married but I do have an 18 year old daughter. My solution to solve family issues. I pay for Gwen's mother and her stepfather to come along. I little warped but I am god-father to her half sister and she is the biggest Disney Freak in this extended family. You can adapt and still have a blast.

I'm not divorced, but my husband's health is such that travel is hard for him, especially travel that involves a lot of walking and/or standing in the heat. Coupled with the fact that he just doesn't LOVE Disney the way I do, I have a trip planned for October without him. I have mixed feelings. Briefly we considered flying him in for at least part of it, but after a few weeks, we both agreed that it just wouldn't be worth it.
Yes, the trip will be different. But, I don't want to just not go, because I'm afraid of change. My Mom is driving down with me, and my Dad will be there for an engineering conference. So I will have some help with the kids.

Cost-wise, it's a little cheaper. My husband is a 3 squares a day type of a person (he technically should eat 5-7 smaller meals due to his health issues, but hasn't quite accepted it yet). I tried to do the "snack for breakfast" thing with him, and he balked. I expect the kids, my Mom, and I will be able to split meals to some degree.
Also, since we're driving, the transportation cost is a bit lower. When he came along, it just didn't make sense for him to take extra days off to do the drive down.
My parents are also splitting the cost of a ASMusic family suite, for half of the trip, which is something we wouldn't really be able to do, if my husband were coming.

I'm just happy that I'll get the chance to experience Disney with my kids right now.

I was at WDW 2 weekends ago by myself. My kids were with their father and my husband had to work. Booked a room at the ASMu for Thursday-Friday. Got on a plane and left. It was soIMG_20180817_071719_238.jpg nice to walk and relax and shop. Just do what I want wanted. My solo trips are different than trips with my husband and our family trips. Still enjoyable just different priorities.

[QUOTE="gweninwb, post: 51268922, member: 411468 Did you notice the change in the quality of your vacation? Usually we rent DVC points and stay at a deluxe. I think that when we go back it will need to be in a value (hopefully with free dining). I'm not complaining in any way. I'm just curious if you felt any change in the quality of your vacation [/QUOTE]

We just stayed in a Value for the first time with free dining, having stayed in deluxe and moderate previously
We really enjoyed ourselves and loved the newly refurbished room (check out Pop Century)

I actually go back WITH my ex and our daughter (this fall will be the 5th time since we split, weird - I know), but my advice is:

- you can definitely do it. Had my situation been different, I would have still continued to go, finances-willing, without him. With kids under maybe 6 y.o., I imagine I would have appreciated another adult being there (a friend or mom or older niece/nephew even), but after that, no problems. Your children are definitely old enough to not need constant care.
- I would recommend the first time be under different circumstances than your "usual" was as pre-divorce. I can't imagine Disney ever being tainted entirely, but I see the benefit or creating a new normal. It sounds like your resort will change and that's a good thing. And your children will be older, which means new things will interest them and make the vacation different than past ones anyway. These are new memories!!
-That being said, don't be afraid to talk about old memories, too. If you enjoyed time there together before, acknowledge it. It's good for you and for them. Just don't let those thoughts dominate your mind and you'll still feel the magic. :wizard:

Go for it!
that is awesome!
great for the kids!!!

Our trips have actually improved since the divorce. My ex was generally unhappy at Disney and made it known by his stance and tone. The kids noticed the difference and how much lower the stress is now. Disney is our happy place where we can shut out all the "real world stuff".

The OP is from four years ago but a very timely issue for me! In my case, our last few family vacations were tense and pull of micro and not-so-micro verbal aggression from my not-yet-ex. My last to vacation trips (one to NOLA and one to WDW) were taken with my sister and my now 13yo DS. We had the BEST time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter