• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney 2000 days in a row???

Which means he hasn't traveled anywhere else in all that time. That's the sad part.

Well, I'm guessing he doesn't have family (because otherwise they'd surely have strongarmed him into taking at least Christmas and Thanksgiving off), and if he was unemployed for however long after retiring from the armed forces, then he doesn't have money for travel either. And his friends are probably all people who work in the parks.

I know several people without family or the financial means to travel. One of these friends had a rather serious accident today and when all the stitches were in, she wrote on her Facebook page, after thanking the friend who gave her a ride to the doctor: "And to everyone else who offered cab fare, sympathy, and good wishes, I'm incredibly grateful. I was understandably not in a great mood after I tested whether gravity works while crossing the street. But all of you lifted my spirits! I am rich, because my wealth is my friends."

She hasn't traveled in... pretty much forever. And she won't ever be able to afford to travel. But her life is far from "sad"!

And it just occurred to me - he's probably got a lot of friends at the park! If you see the same people day after day, talk to them, after awhile you'll get attached and they'll start looking forward to seeing you.

My mother-in-law used to go to lunch with the "ladies" at a local restaurant almost every day.

Disneyland -Where everybody knows your name...

I get what you are saying especially about getting to know people in the park.
However what I find "sad" for the lack of a better term is that it means that he never left the State of California for 5.5 years. I guess some people don't like to travel.

Or can't afford it. He was an unemployed army vet five years ago, and who knows how long he's been working at the VA. And, not everyone enjoys travelling alone.

If my husband died, I don't think I'd have much interest in travel (unless my kids dragged me off somewhere).

Thought I heard that he skipped funerals and family events in those 5 years. That and not traveling makes me sad.

I'd like to have the ability to visit Disney as often as I wanted, but definitely not to miss out on other life events.

Thought I heard that he skipped funerals and family events in those 5 years. That and not traveling makes me sad.

I'd like to have the ability to visit Disney as often as I wanted, but definitely not to miss out on other life events.

Okay, so I was curious about your claim since I couldn't find anything about it in the original article that started this thread.

And here's what I found out!

First link...

2013 was his first year, and he did that entire year in the company of his girlfriend: http://www.ocregister.com/2013/01/02/a-disneyland-day-every-day-for-this-couple/

I'm guessing she's not still in the picture, so perhaps he kept going in 2014 to keep his spirits up after the breakup. Nothing about him skipping family events, though, just a bit about their work schedules not meshing well.

Second link...

Yes, he has a different, current girlfriend who often accompanies him to the parks!

http://nypost.com/2017/06/24/this-man-has-been-to-disneyland-2000-days-in-a-row/

Third link...

Ah, and here it is!

“I’ve missed family events and funerals for close friends,” he said when asked about what he’s missed out on in life in lieu of his visits to the Anaheim theme park. He quickly defended his decision of missing those events by saying that Disney wasn’t to blame. “You can’t plan for a lot of these life things,” he responded. “I didn’t intentionally miss these things. Sometimes life doesn’t line up with your plans.”

http://disneyexaminer.com/2017/06/2...eff-reitz-reflects-on-living-the-disney-life/

I honestly don't know what he means by that. He didn't intentionally miss these things? They're things he couldn't plan for? When we arranged a memorial service for my mother-in-law, we gave people a good two weeks' notice. But, on the other hand, none of her siblings were able to come for various reasons, and we completely understood why. We sent them recordings of the service on CD instead. Nobody was obligated to come, and there were no ill feelings toward those who didn't.

In any case, if the man's happy, then he's happy. He's not a lonely shut in, he's out being social and active, and he's apparently trimmed down 40 lbs, from all the walking. He has a girlfriend who apparently is happy with having him visit the parks after work every evening. I can think of many worse things to do with your life!

I could not do this. I would personally go crazy spending that much time anywhere. However if he is happy then that's all that matters. I hope that he doesn't someday regret missing the things that he mentioned though.

My dream is to own one of the fancy houses at Golden Oaks and spend my days in WDW, so I totally get this guy ;)

Trying to figure out why not 'traveling to other places' is so sad to some people? Why is it sad to feel content, happy even, where you are? Why do you have to travel to be happy? Travel stresses me out most of the time. I'd be quite happy to stay put in an area that has all that I want and need.

My money is on the first girlfriend leaving him because she was ready to stop going and he wasn't. She might not have even wanted to travel elsewhere. She might have still loved Disney. But what would someone like this say if their girlfriend wanted to miss one day?

I have no issue with someone going every single day. Heck, I wish I lived close enough to drop in whenever I wanted. I think it's the obsessive nature of "every single day" that has many raising an eyebrow. If you're missing funerals and family events because of it, then it's a problem.

My money is on the first girlfriend leaving him because she was ready to stop going and he wasn't. She might not have even wanted to travel elsewhere. She might have still loved Disney. But what would someone like this say if their girlfriend wanted to miss one day?

I have no issue with someone going every single day. Heck, I wish I lived close enough to drop in whenever I wanted. I think it's the obsessive nature of "every single day" that has many raising an eyebrow. If you're missing funerals and family events because of it, then it's a problem.

I think you're right - that's exactly why she left. The current girlfriend, sensibly I think, does not go with him every day.

And, the real question with regards to the funerals and family events, is whether he would have gone if he wasn't going to Disney every day, or if he'd have found some other reason not to attend. His statement, "I didn’t intentionally miss these things. Sometimes life doesn’t line up with your plans," makes me think there's more to it than just an obsessive need to visit the parks.

It sounds a little bit like something my friend with OCD, anxiety and depression might say. Events such as these are overwhelming for her sometimes, and she's missed more than one. She means to go. Plans to go. Really wants to go. And then... falls asleep for 48 hours instead. And then is wracked with guilt over it. I'd be so happy if she was going to Disneyland every day! (Except, I'm not sure she could cope with the crowds. :laughing:)

I can understand missing some family events if you're actually trying to set a record. - If your family knows that, they would probably be supportive! But he said he wasn't really going for a record, so I agree maybe there's more to that part of the story.

Or can't afford it. He was an unemployed army vet five years ago, and who knows how long he's been working at the VA. And, not everyone enjoys travelling alone.

If my husband died, I don't think I'd have much interest in travel (unless my kids dragged me off somewhere).

Speaking of affording it, just how much is the DL AP that has no blackout days at all? He clearly wasn't getting by with one of the discount APs.

I think he was unemployed during a lot of this time. I remember seeing the article on him and the first girlfriend back when they were both still unemployed.

Speaking of affording it, just how much is the DL AP that has no blackout days at all? He clearly wasn't getting by with one of the discount APs.

I think he was unemployed during a lot of this time. I remember seeing the article on him and the first girlfriend back when they were both still unemployed.

When he started it was probably $499. They changed the name and the price has since more than doubled.

He was obviously purchasing a DL AP with no blackout dates. He could afford to travel other places.

It's the perfect fitness program! Rather than walk around in circles on a gym track (or on a treadmill), he gets to take in the sights, the smells, the sounds, the ambiance of Disneyland. And he gets to do it around other people, 90% of whom are smiling and happy.

What's not to love?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter