DISchurners Hotel Reviews Thread (extension of I love credit cards so much! thread)

calypso726

Escaping reality one Disney vacation at a time
Sheraton Times Square is a 35k per night cat 5 property and therefore available with a free night certificate. Breakfast is not included. The property is located about an 8 minute walk to the Richard Rodgers theatre for any Hamilton fans. I am told the gym was really well appointed. I’m not “workout girl” so I didn’t visit.

Our room was clean but had a musty humid odor. It wasn’t bad enough to make us change rooms since we were traveling with friends and their room was next door. Their room did not have any musty odor. I’d stay here again on a free night certificate considering the challenge of finding free night cert options in NYC. I wouldn’t pay for a room here though. I’d sooner go back to the Hilton Times Square if paying OOP.

49FC2DCB-C1FA-43F4-AF86-BC6E3C99FDC2.jpeg

8EEF141C-32B2-4F9D-9D76-5E59FDC2ACFE.jpeg

10BEF8DE-045A-421D-A86C-35DC3345E0AE.jpeg

Haley R

With all the strength of a raging fire
Walt Disney Dolphin Resort
August 16-17
King bed-No view

We paid for this room out of pocket because we had no other way to pay for it. We got the room on Orbitz and Dh had some Orbitz bucks to use. The rate was $122 but we then paid $30 for the resort fee and $25 for parking at the hotel. Here’s my pros and cons list for the hotel:

Pros:
-Walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood studios
-Lots of dining options
-Lots of bottled water in the room
-Staff was all very friendly and helpful
-Front desk gave us a swan and dolphin pin for free after I asked

Cons:
-Shower wouldn’t get warm
-Bathroom was dirty
-The room with the shower and toilet was tiny
-Room had musty smell
-No Disney charm or theming
-Heard loud groups of people in the halls

Honestly, even with the pros list I don’t see us staying here again unless it’s a really good rate. I was really missing the Disney feel to the resort and cast members. The staff was friendly but it’s a different vibe for sure. We will probably try the swan to compare sometime. We were only there for one night because of our AP preview at Galaxy’s Edge so it was fine for that one night.

Attachments

MarBee

DIS Veteran
Walt Disney Dolphin Resort
August 16-17
King bed-No view

We paid for this room out of pocket because we had no other way to pay for it. We got the room on Orbitz and Dh had some Orbitz bucks to use. The rate was $122 but we then paid $30 for the resort fee and $25 for parking at the hotel. Here’s my pros and cons list for the hotel:

Pros:
-Walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood studios
-Lots of dining options
-Lots of bottled water in the room
-Staff was all very friendly and helpful
-Front desk gave us a swan and dolphin pin for free after I asked

Cons:
-Shower wouldn’t get warm
-Bathroom was dirty
-The room with the shower and toilet was tiny
-Room had musty smell
-No Disney charm or theming
-Heard loud groups of people in the halls

Honestly, even with the pros list I don’t see us staying here again unless it’s a really good rate. I was really missing the Disney feel to the resort and cast members. The staff was friendly but it’s a different vibe for sure. We will probably try the swan to compare sometime. We were only there for one night because of our AP preview at Galaxy’s Edge so it was fine for that one night.
I feel the same way about the vibe at Swan/Dolphin versus Disney. I would stay there again but only if I couldn’t get a moderate or deluxe Disney property at a reasonable price.
I always think that the uniforms the Disney folks have to wear are hokey. But then when I see the tee shirts and “any black shorts you have” uniforms at Swolphin, I kind of get the Disney uniforms. It’s just a different overall feel.
But the location is great for sure!

• Haley R

With all the strength of a raging fire
    I feel the same way about the vibe at Swan/Dolphin versus Disney. I would stay there again but only if I couldn’t get a moderate or deluxe Disney property at a reasonable price.
    I always think that the uniforms the Disney folks have to wear are hokey. But then when I see the tee shirts and “any black shorts you have” uniforms at Swolphin, I kind of get the Disney uniforms. It’s just a different overall feel.
    But the location is great for sure!
    The location is great! The Epcot area is my favorite. One other thing I didn’t like at the dolphin was not getting to charge to our room with our magic bands

MarBee

DIS Veteran
    Sheraton Eatontown Hotel
    Eatontown, NJ
    August 29-30, 2019
    17,500 points a night but our night would’ve cost us $489 cash

This is a hotel that is about 10 minutes from some New Jersey beaches, including Asbury Park, Long Branch, and Belmar. I had a 25,000 point per night free night certificate that was going to expire soon and I had to use it up. Admittedly I’m more of a Marriott 35,000 point a night and up kind of person, but this is the only Marriott close to any of the NJ beaches, and we live in PA so those are the beaches we frequent the most.

The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful! It was completely redesigned and redone within the past year. Everything is absolutely gorgeous. It is, however, very poorly managed. I read tons of TripAdvisor reviews who have reiterated the same thing, and they were spot on.

We checked in and our room was only half cleaned. Housekeeping assured us they were going to finish it. We waited a while, they said they were finished. Bed linens were covered in hair. Requested new ones. There were no towels. We were told that the hotel ran out but they were “doing a load of laundry” and they’d be done in 15 minutes. I’ve never ever had that happen at a hotel in my life.

We went to the beach and came back. New linens but still now towels. We requested towels. They bought us dirty ones, covered in stains and hair. We walked down to the front desk again to get towels (everything required a walk to the front desk bc there was one person working the entirety of the lobby who didn’t answer the app or phone.). They send up new ones and the guy who bought them said “sorry about that. people normally don’t check towels so we just give whichever ones while we are doing laundry”
    Eeeeeeeeew!

We tried to go to the pool. We get in and it’s so cloudy you can’t see your feet in the 3 foot end. Not even your thighs. There is trash floating in it. We jump out and head to the shower. Gross!

We try to eat at the restaurant. Prices are not cheap but it’s convenient and after a long day we choose to stay. The bartender doubles as the waitress and can’t find the menus. When we finally order she brings us water and the glasses have all kinds of floaters in them. Gross! She brings out our appetizer after 30 minutes. They’re “cheesesteak spring rolls” for $14. They come out and they’re 5 super mini microwaved taquitos. We eat them bc we are starving. She comes out about 20 minutes later to tell us “they just told me they are out of kids meals.” Like everything on the kids menu? We pay for the apps, she comps the one beer we had, and we hightail it to a local diner.

Come back to room and woke up in a puddle of sweat from the stupid sensor air conditioners. The linens also include a heavy comforter. I just have a sheet on now.

I’m writing this in the middle of the night, so this is as much of a vent for me as a review. Thank you if you’ve held on this long.

TL/DR: beautiful hotel that is very poorly managed

Pros:
    -located close to beach towns (not a lot of chain hotels available in NJ beach towns)
    -beautifully remodeled and redone
    -rooms are large and spacious with 2 queen beds, couch, chair, table, and decent sized bathroom

Cons:
    -very poorly managed
    -filthy dirty pool
    -hotel apparently frequently runs out of towels
    -sensor air conditioner that shuts off when you sleep
    -room not the cleanest
    -on site restaurant is short staffed, slow, runs out of food, and has dirty glasses

Overall: don’t stay here. It’s beautiful now, but in two years will be so run down it will resemble a truck stop motel in two years

Attachments

SouthFayetteFan

Saving Money on Disney Vacations since 2006
    BETHANY BEACH OCEAN SUITES RESIDENCE INN

Travel Dates: August 7-10, 2019

We stayed at this Oceanside Residence Inn using Marriott Bonvoy points for a short beach trip.
    • The cash rate each night was $855+ (per night - so $2,566.54 for the stay)
    • We redeemed 150,000 Points (50k per night) to stay for free. For those into unattainable cpp goals - that's 1.71 cpp - wow am I a baller! (haha!) I would imagine that this property will NEVER feature a good cash rate but it is a great value with Marriott Bonvoy points (assuming that it doesn't change categories or get hit with never-ending "peak status).
    • I should preface this whole review with saying that I am not a fan of a traditional hotel for a beach trip. I'd prefer a condo, a house, or a multi-bedroom suite - so keep that in mind when you see how positive I am about this hotel.
    • Summary comment: This was a well kept hotel, a great location, and VERY fun.
    General Comments on Layout and Location:
    The hotel consists of 2 buildings. If possible, you definitely want to be in the main building (we were). This makes going to breakfast and hitting the pool much easier. Requesting a high floor room in the main building might result in you being on the same floor as the rooftop pool (again we were) and that was awesome! Taking a "night swim" and being 100 steps from our room was great. I would not have wanted to take an elevator down and then walked outside across the parking lot to the other building after our swim.

Location is great here - you are right on the beach. You walk across a 10 foot boardwalk to the beach access. We kept our beach stuff in the back of our van which was conveniently parked under the hotel in their garage. That made getting to and from the beach easy (and was nice to not carry chairs and such back up to the room). Just a short walk down the boardwalk is what seems like a "town center". There are lots of shops and restaurants - it was a very pleasant area in the evening.

A note on the beach itself: The waves crash very close to shore and on both of our beach days, when high tide hit, it crested the front wall of the beach and trickled into (and then later washed away) people's stuff. Know the tides and when the water starts coming in, be sure to move to the far back against the fence (or just setup there for the whole day). Many people got an unpleasant surprise with coolers, chairs, blankets, towels, etc. washing away and getting soaked. I'm not sure if that occurs all the time but it happened both days we were there. Also, the water is VERY cold for somebody who is used to Gulf of Mexico water and the occasional Myrtle Beach trip. It took a lot of convincing to get in!

Amenities and Activities
    They did some activities while we were there. Crafts in the morning, a carnival on Wednesday afternoon, Mermaid pictures poolside in the afternoon, A movie at the pool in the evening etc. These were enjoyable for the kids!

Breakfast was your typical free breakfast. They did a nice job - they also seated you (to make sure no random people off the street were wandering in). You could even request a table outside with a view of the boardwalk and ocean - a nice touch for sure!

There is a spa, bar, and fitness center. We didn't use these. There is also an expensive on-site restaurant that seems upscale - we didn't eat there.

The pool is a rooftop pool that is outdoor doing the day and enclosed at night (or when it rains). Reminder - this is in the main building. In the pictures below, you can see the roof/wall that can slide closed. It was pretty neat! The pool is fairly large and luckily was not busy when we were there.

Room Comments:
    We stayed in a 2 queen bed room with a sofa bed. It worked well for our travel party of 5 (including my sister). It would've worked even better with just 4 as we could've pulled the table out and left the couch as a couch. The room was VERY clean and nice. We had a "partial ocean-view" room which meant you could see the ocean from your balcony. I assume they don't give ocean-view rooms out on points but it was nice to sit on the balcony and see the waves crash. This is their web photo which is basically what our room looked like (beds/seating area and kitchen):

433802 433805

Other Comments:
    Consider driving one evening over to Rehoboth to go to Funland. http://www.funlandrehoboth.com/
    100 tickets for $30 will give you a couple of hours of fun! Many of the little kid rides are 1-3 tickets. Even the top tier rides are only 4-6 tickets. It was busy but well-run and we had a great time there!

Last edited:

CoP Luv

DIS Veteran
    Hotel Kimpton Nine Zero - Boston

Dates Stayed: August 1-4, 2019
    Redeemed 1 Free-Night Cert from IHG CC (old rules), 80K IHG points for partial 2 night booking from SUB, purchased another 40K points during a points break sale for the remainder points needed ~ $215

I picked this hotel with is proximity to the Freedom Trail start and to be more in the center of town instead of the Intercontinental which was more in the financial district. I loved that we were close to the T to get to/from the airport (5 minute walk) and go up to Cambridge for the evening. We were about 20 minutes from everything we wanted to walk to. A HUGE Walgreens was around the corner for forgotten sunscreen, wine and snacks for the room.

I don't have pictures of our room, but thought it was nice. We could see a little of Boston Commons from our window. A European Continental Breakfast was included, along with an evening reception, but we never were around for it.

While I liked this hotel a lot, especially the location, there were a few things that I wasn't too thrilled about:
    1. The soundproofing wasn't too great. We could hear everyone who went past our door, even if they were silently walking.
    2. There were a lot of small lights in the room that never turned off, so for a light sleeper sensitive to light, I got creative trying to make it DARK in the room at night. (and ipad remote with docking station, reading lights above the bed that had their own nightlights)
    3. I felt like it was either warm or totally freezing in our room. I wasn't too bothered by it, but DH wasn't a fan.
    4. The breakfast was included and located in the bar area on the second floor (you needed to use your key in the elevator to access it). It was very simple: cheese, deli meats, some fruit, coffee, tea, juice, one type of pasty...However, we were greeted with a $50 bill every morning for our breakfast that was zeroed out with a tip line. I usually just ignore stuff like that since the only service we received at breakfast was for a server to bring us our "bill", but as we were leaving the server actually chased me down after we left the room for me to sign the "bill". I was not a fan of that at all.
    The front desk was great. They printed tickets for us for the Freedom Trail, answered any questions about transportation, and were very polite.

I only picked this hotel because of our IHG points, and liked it, but might consider something else if we eve go back to Boston.

• Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates