DISchurners Hotel Reviews Thread (extension of I love credit cards so much! thread)

that was originally my #1 choice but there were no free nights available... :(
I read that they are one of the resorts that play with award availability! Luckily, I was able to find availability on a Saturday night in June.

Hilton Long Beach
Long Beach, CA
December 27, 2019

Stayed here for 1 night before our cruise on the Carnival Panorama. Decided to pay cash ($109/nt pretax) since with various promotions, it would work out to 54 points/dollar with the Aspire.

I had checked in on the app beforehand and picked out our room. We arrived pretty late, so I didn't ask about upgrades with DH's Diamond status. The room was fine, nothing special. Beds were comfortable. I think I'm becoming a hotel princess, lol. One pillow was missing on one of the beds and a pillow case was on it. Weird. Did housekeeping run out of time? DS noticed the popcorn ceiling. Seems it's kind of his thing now, lol.

3DF5FF3A-3F13-4B5F-964D-9B80D2A19C3B.jpeg

The next morning we could see our cruise ship between buildings! I couldn't tell which room would have the best view when I picked it, so probably I could have done better. But we were excited to see it!

E8C8F4D9-DAD6-4EFF-BEED-500AD1390C2D.png

The free breakfast with status is a buffet with cold foods. There is a smaller hot food section that is extra ($10/person?). Since it was 4 of us, we were told that the kids would be $12 each. I think official policy is one guest with free breakfast, though our last Hilton gave us all breakfast. DH decided not to eat (there'll be plenty of food on the ship) and went back to the room. They ended up not charging us for the third person.

There's a free shuttle to the Carnival cruise port, but no sign up list. Just line up and wait. There's only one shuttle bus that fits 10. When we got out to wait, there was already a big line (maybe 20-30 people). Knowing how bad traffic is at cruise ports, we decided to Uber.

Last edited:
Hyatt Centric The Pike Long Beach
Long Beach, CA
January 4, 2020
12,000 Hyatt points (transferred from UR)

Stayed here for 1 night post cruise since we have family and friends in the area. We didn't rent a car, so wanted somewhere near restaurants and activities. The location was great with many restaurants nearby. There's a Starbucks just around the corner. Important point for some, though we didn't partake this time, lol. Right near the hotel are outlet stores, a movie theater, and a marina. Aquarium of the Pacific is really close too, though we didn't go.

I feel like we caught this hotel at a bad time. They were just starting renovations and you could tell that it was needed. The furniture was scuffed up and the bed was saggy (though oddly we didn't have trouble sleeping). When the heater turned on it was loud and woke me up. The hallways are dark due to the dark walls, doors, and carpet. Hope they change that too.

171F7FCC-D593-4272-ABCD-02FC2093731F.jpeg

I'm Explorist and got a couple e-mails beforehand mentioning that and asking if I needed anything. DD caught a cold on the cruise, so I texted on the ship while waiting to disembark to ask about early check-in. Was told that our room was vacant, but needed to be cleaned. We arrived around 11, but the room wasn't ready yet. DD just wanted to lie down, so we sat in the lobby until it was ready around noon. I also asked for and got late check out at 3 pm. We just wanted to get into a room, so didn't ask about an upgrade.

DS and I met up with my friends for teppanyaki at Tokyo Wako nearby (while DH stayed behind with DD). It was pretty good. The next day, DD was better and we had lunch at Gladstone's (seafood) - also pretty good. After that, we wandered over to Shoreline Village where the kids had fun at the arcade (on the generous side with the tickets as these things go). This area seemed more bustling than the other areas which seemed a bit quiet.

Last edited:

SpringHill Suites FLAMINGO CROSSING- DISNEY

I booked this cat 4 Marriott property for 2 nights using my free night certs from my old SPG cards. This trip was not a parks trip as I was driving down to move DD to orlando for her college program.

The location was not very far outside the disney "gates." This is the area where they are building the new DCP housing that is to open this summer. It is going to have a target anchor store and something like 50 restaurants and shops eventually. Currently you have to drive towards disney to grab food, etc. I think it took us under 20 mins to get to Disney Springs, which is on the far side of disney property from where we were staying...so not bad. The rest of WDW would be even quicker.

The condition of the room was good, aside from the stained sofa...but that seems to always be the case. The hotel is almost new. There is a townplace suites next door that shares an outdoor pool area. The pool looked very nice but we didn't have time to use it. There was also a gym. The rooms sleep 6.

There were a lot of disney touches such as really neat elevator wraps advertising Star Wars. I have a video of the insides which was wrapped on all sides to look like you were driving a Star Wars space ship thing. It was really neat. (disclaimer: I'm not a Star Wars person)

The restaurant serves free, hot breakfast, including real mickey waffles. There is a Starbucks onsite. There is a shuttle to WDW for $5...not sure if round trip or each way. Didn't use that either.

You can see the MK fireworks from the hotel, so ask for an upper floor facing the main road!

I'd stay here again but would always make sure to do it on trips with a car.

Park Hyatt Sydney
19-21 February 2020
Hyatt Cat 7

I booked this for 2 nights with 60,000 World of Hyatt points.
Since I booked with points I was hoping for but not expecting an upgrade. Since we arrived early, we had a wait but the good news- we had been upgraded “several levels.” We were also given a key which would allow us to use the gym - including the shower and pool area. So while we waited under sunny Australian skies we were clean and had gym apples and bottled water.

Our room was 345, so with a king v. 2 doubles in the following review- everything else, however is the same- and Lucky takes better photos!

https://onemileatatime.com/review-park-hyatt-sydney-2/
Breakfast was expensive but excellent and the location is great- part of The Rocks with dining and shopping close by. DH and I also “walked the bridge “ which is very close to the hotel.

US Hyatts are pepsi but this essentially perfect place is coke- and real diet coke not light or zero...it really is wonderful 💜

This is an aspirational property for obvious reasons and is at the top of my Favorite Hotels list!

6577918E-F221-4D9A-B91C-22708D0EC6FE.jpeg
King bed v. doubles in Lucky’s trip report

F881AB7C-03B6-4394-A294-DAF61E8A2B78.jpeg

View from our balcony as I write this up.

Last edited:
Park Hyatt Sydney
19-21 February 2020
Hyatt Cat 7

Since I booked with points I was hoping for but not expecting an upgrade. Since we arrived early, we had a wait but the good news- we had been upgraded “several levels.” We were also given a key which would allow us to use the gym - including the shower and pool area. So while we waited under sunny Australian skies we were clean and had gym apples and bottled water.

Our room was 345, so with a king v. 2 doubles in the following review- everything else, however is the same- and Lucky takes better photos!

Breakfast was expensive but excellent and the location is great- part of The Rocks with dining and shopping close by. DH and I also “walked the bridge “ which is very close to the hotel.

US Hyatts are pepsi but this essentially perfect place is coke- and real diet coke not light or zero...it really is wonderful 💜

This is an aspirational property for obvious reasons and is at the top of my Favorite Hotels list!

View attachment 475165

View attachment 475167

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

A few questions:
  1. Did you book a king room?
  2. How early did you arrive? Straight from the airport?
  3. Did you get upgraded to the top floor?
  4. What is your Hyatt status?
I hope you have the best time on your trip!

1. We did book a king but the most basic since that is what the points booking allowed.

2. We arrived straight from the airport so around 10:30 (flight arrived around 8:40, wait to deplane- I was first off!), immigration (fairly seamless although the cameras never recognize me so I always have to go to “assistance”), baggage claim, walk out and a 40-ish min taxi ride (🤢) in pretty busy traffic. We probably should have hung around the airport a bit - it seemed really nice- but DH wanted to get to the hotel 🙄.

3. The top floor,4, is the pool and a few $$$ suites, so no, we’re on 3 which is the highest floor for nonsuite rooms.

4. Yes, I have Explorist status 😄

Thanks, having a wonderful time so far!

Park Hyatt Sydney
19-21 February 2020
Hyatt Cat 7

View attachment 475165

View attachment 475167

I might have to put this on my list just for the coke!

Park Hyatt Sydney
19-21 February 2020
Hyatt Cat 7

View attachment 475165

View attachment 475167

Fantastic review! PHS was already on my list of places I want to go to (as you know) but now it's sounding even better than before. Have a wonderful visit Down Under!!!

Sheraton Sand Key Resort - King Room, Partial gulf view, Balcony
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/tpasi-sheraton-sand-key-resort/Travel Dates: November 2019
  • Category 5, we used a 35k FN Certificate
  • Free Parking
  • Platinum breakfast option available in the restaurant
  • Hotel guests can use key to ride area trolley for free
We stayed one night here on a trip for Busch Gardens Tampa. The park didn't open until 10am so I picked out here to stay since there wasn't anything exciting right in the BG area and we didn't have much going the day before. I booked the standard room and we were upgraded to a partial gulf view room. Breakfast was nice, they had a decent selection of breakfast foods, pastries, meat, cheese, and fruit. This is not on the main strip for Clearwater Beach but across the bridge, so I imagine it would be quieter than the other side for beach time. Night life was definitely quieter :) They had Starbucks coffee :thumbsup2

20191116_180514.jpg

20191117_084100.jpg

Attachments

• 20191117_081535.jpg
    20191117_081535.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20191117_081531.jpg
    20191117_081531.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191116_180528.jpg
    20191116_180528.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191116_180433.jpg
    20191116_180433.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 9
Tampa Airport Marriott - King Room, Partial gulf view, Balcony
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/tpaap-tampa-airport-marriott/Travel Dates: November 2019
  • Category 5, we used a 35k FN Certificate
  • Free Parking
  • Platinum breakfast option available in the restaurant
  • Hotel guests can use key to ride area trolley for free
We stayed one night here on a trip for Busch Gardens Tampa, we had an early flight home the next morning. We were able to drop off our rental car and head in as this hotel is connected to the main terminal. I would consider staying here again if I had a late flight in or early flight out of Tampa. Platinum did get some breakfast benefit but I didn't pay attention as we had a 6am flight.

2020-02-20_12-48-02.jpg

Last edited:
I travel a lot and usually stay in hotels. There are some I lie the most - Marriot and Plaza, also I like Vida vacations but nowsome people starting to ask is vida vacations legit ? I still can't understand why so...

Ventana Big Sur
Big Sur, CA
30,000 Hyatt points/night (transfered from UR)
(Adults only property)

Stayed here for 2 nights for my birthday and was upgraded to The Cottage, which was just incredible. Was told due to being Explorer and it being my birthday. :) The same dates next year, rack rate is about $2000/night. With the resort fee being waived for award stays, add in taxes, cpp comes out to 7.8. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to top that, lol.

The Cottage was spacious, with super comfortable bed, sitting area with fireplace, and wet bar. But the best part was the huge balcony facing the canyon, with private jacuzzi, large round lounger, and hammock. Though I didn't get to use the hammock since it rained on and off and never got dry.

The service was wonderful, friendly and unpretentious. At these expensive places, I always worry if it'll be a little snobby. It was not at all. When we sat down to check-in, the friendly receptionist put me instantly at ease. She went over the activities - the free guided hike around the property, yoga, and the social hour. We made it to the social hour once. There's wine and I think gin/vodka and tonic. From reviews, there used to be cheese. But we got spiced popcorn and spiced nuts. A tiny disappointment that they're not more generous with the food. She also gave us a list of nearby restaurants that they could drive us to in their electric Volvos. We decided to go to Deetjen's one night and they made the reservation for us. I loved that they can handle requests by text. No cell reception at Deetjen's though, so they had to call Ventana to come pick us up.

The valet drove us and our luggage in an electric cart up to the cottage and showed us where everything was. They use the carts to drive you anywhere you want on the property. Mostly, we chose to walk and enjoy the grounds. Every request and every pick-up was done extremely quickly. I never felt like we were even waiting at all. I couldn't help but think back to my other high value redemption, the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay, where we waited half an hour for the valet to get our car, lol.

We had dinner at their restaurant, The Sur House, one night. I was expecting fancy frou-frou food (big plate, tiny food), which I enjoy on occasion. But it was surprisingly hearty. The mussels appetizer looked entree sized, we were a little puzzled, lol. My favorite was the black pasta dish, but too bad that was actually typical appetizer size. Everything was delicious.

Ventana Inn is just an amazing property. I feel so fortunate to have found this hobby to be able to experience it. Don't think I could ever bring myself to pay rack rates. Would love to go back. ❤ Thinking October for our anniversary should have better weather. Doubtful we'll get so lucky with an upgrade again, lol.

E08C76A8-CDDB-4959-91B7-006E6A96D995.jpeg

Balcony and outside of the cottage. There's a small view of the ocean from the porch.
E065651E-D8D4-4E34-87BE-6391A70D56DF.jpeg

Social House (reception, lounge, pool table, social hour, coffee and tea):
55FC9C88-A4FF-40C0-806B-95737916FE57.jpeg

Grounds:
EE6A3F62-6A81-4C48-B4DD-2FE8EEB2DB5B.jpeg

We missed the guided hike, so did a small one on our own. Didn't want to do the whole loop, so cut through the garden (with chickens):
F7282394-F137-451F-8027-BE0C3C7987E6.jpeg

Last edited:
The Ranch at Death Valley
Furnace Creek, CA (in Death Valley NP)
18,538 URs/night (CSR) or Cash $278/night

We stayed in building 800 which was a two story model design with about 20 rooms per level. This is a 2 or 3 star motel that you are clearly paying for the location. The Inn at Death Valley is more upscale but it is also $400-$500/night. Our room had 2 queen beds, a balcony with a nice view of the courtyard between buildings with palm trees, mini-refrigerator, coffee maker. The bathroom had the sink outside the toilet/tub. The best part of this is the location. You are in the middle of the park. We were able to drive to every attraction we wanted to see and it didn't take too long. Parking is in the lot right by the hotels. Building 800 and 900 are near the stables. I thought I could smell the horses at first, but inside the rooms were fine. We were there during lower than average temperatures. The rooms have air conditioning but they ask to keep it at 74 or above. There is a nice pool fed by natural springs. Also a basketball court, tennis court, shuffleboard, boccie ball area. There is a shed that contains the equipment that you can borrow. Also on the grounds is an outdoor museum that is self-guided.

There are a few places to eat in Furnace Creek. Last Kind Words Saloon, where we ate all 3 nights for dinner. Again you pay for location. For two, we averaged $90 a meal. It was very good food though. I would still recommend it. The other options are the buffet in the same building as the Saloon or the Dining Room at the Inn. The Inn was more expensive than the Saloon. The buffet looked ok but for the cost, we decided to stick with the Saloon. In addition to the restaurants, there is a general store where you can buy groceries, souvenirs, clothing.

I would stay here again if I was visiting Death Valley
DSCF1451.JPG

Carmel Valley Ranch
Hyatt Unbound Collection, Category 6
Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA

Stayed here for a long weekend. Points redemption is 25k Hyatt points for a standard room, which is their studios that only fit 2-3. Took the kids, so with 4 people, we needed a 1 bedroom which is 40k points for a suite. I found a 3rd night free cash rate that ended up being a better deal, especially with stacking Amex Offers and Hyatt promotions.

I was able to check-in on the app in the morning and request early check-in for 2 pm. This is based on availability, but at 11 am I was notified that our room was ready. The room number and digital key appeared on the app. DH is lowly Discoverist, but we could also get late check out for 2 pm. This was automatically granted. A bottle of wine was in the room when we got there, since it was my birthday. 😊

The hotel is part of a gated complex that includes private homes and a golf course. All the units are very spread out, which is great for social distancing. We were in a Ranch Suite with Double Beds. It has a living room with dining banquette and sofa bed, bedroom with fireplace, and a balcony. The dining area came in handy since we ate in mostly. Everything looked to be super clean and smelled fresh. The suite was very spacious, and the beds were comfortable. The toiletries are their own brand, in refillable bottles so we couldn’t take them lol. There were a small bottle of bubble bath, bath salts, and the slippers are embroidered with their logo.

97BC9B6D-C5B4-424F-9C4A-235FA9EA62D7.jpeg

The resort has some free and some paid activities. We did a guided hike, honey tasting, and s’mores (all free). DD joined in the Junior Naturalist Camp (fee) and had a lot of fun. She especially liked feeding the chickens kale picked from their organic garden. She got a little attached and now she’s refusing to eat chicken lol. We went back together and fed the chickens some more kale, although I’m not really sure if we’re allowed to pick the kale outside of camp. 😅 There are also goats in a barn nearby. Some other paid activities we didn’t do include falconry, archery, and bee keeping. We passed by the archery on the way to the family pool and DS was bummed that it’s 13+ (he’s 12). Weather was in the high 50’s, but the kids swam in the heated pool. I liked that they give bottled water freely - at the pool, at the hike, and a bunch of bottles in the mini fridge in the room. They also have water refilling stations located around the resort. The pool wasn’t too crowded, and it was easy finding spaced out loungers.

289CE72F-F555-42FA-8497-8E120B78239D.jpegD29DFFF2-9D59-4FD5-8FD6-0127913954D9.jpeg

We had lunch at their restaurant, Valley Kitchen. Seating is outside next to the adult pool. The fish in my fish tacos were a bit dry, but the clams and lobster BLT were good. Nearby the resort is a shopping plaza with a Safeway and 2 restaurants (wish there were more). We got takeout from both. Iolis’ Pizzeria had very generous toppings and their bruschetta was especially good. Jeffrey’s Grill only does breakfast and lunch (closes at 2:30 pm). We had brunch and everything was delicious (mango pancakes, scallop scramble, lobster omelet). Would have gone again if they weren’t closed on Mondays. We also got takeout from Mika Sushi, which is about 10-15 minute drive away. I enjoyed their rolls and found it more innovative than most other sushi restaurants, where the rolls have cute names but often end up tasting similar. Some rolls use black rice and some incorporate macadamia nuts. Their sashimi special came with 3 pipettes filled with different sauces.

We didn’t leave the resort except to get takeout. It was a nice relaxing stay, less than 2 hours from home.

Last edited:
Delta Hotels, Daytona Beach Oceanfront March 30-April 2, 2021
2 Marriott Free Night certificates (35,000 points and under) and $300 cash night

Beautiful hotel in one of the quieter parts of Daytona directly on the beach. Had to pay one night cash and paid more than I would normally have but was so excited and desperate to be anywhere after over a year of being nowhere, I took the plunge. We were upgraded to an ocean front room that had a nice balcony that looked directly over the ocean and the outside pool area. With points, this view is typically not an option but it might be worth the upgrade.
We stayed in a 2 queen room and found that the room was very well appointed, clean, and comfortable. The flooring is a mix of tile and carpet. The carpet is light colored and has seen better days; it could definitely use a shampooing or replacing. The air conditioner was freezing (how I like it) and individually controlled in the room. There was an option on the thermostat to have it continually running; I mention this because anyone that has stayed in a room with motion sensor activated thermostats knows the AC will constantly kick off, and this didn’t.
The bathroom was very spacious. No tub in our room for anyone traveling with small kids, but it did also have a removable handheld shower attachment that makes bathing kids easier. Room had three average sized drawers for storage plus a larger closet for hanging clothes with added shelving. There was a coffee maker, microwave, mini fridge, and a safe. Plenty of outlets and good lighting options.
The hairdryer in our room was broken (looked like a previous guest dropped it so the sides were cracked and screen was popped out with clumps of hair stuck to it 🤢). I didn’t bother to ask for a new one since I was embracing my beach hair-don’t care look, but I’m sure it would have be easily remedied. I’ll let them know at check out today it needs to be replaced.
Outside there is a pool and small hot tub, as well as a small splash area for small kids. There is a ton of outside restaurant/bar seating, as well as some indoor seating. We did not get to try the restaurant or bar, though, because it was rarely open. The first day we tried to have lunch but they apparently do not serve lunch on Wednesdays. The next day we tried for breakfast, which said went till 11, but when we tried to sit at 10:45 they told us we couldn’t eat then because by the time the breakfast came out it would be past 11. Lunch was advertised as 11-2, but they said that they don’t actually seat lunch until 11:30. Dinner was advertised as 5-9 but a waitress said “we only have one cook and he’s slow and terrible so you should eat elsewhere.”
Overall, the location was amazing, hotel was beautiful and very clean. The amenities were great, but the one big con was the on-site restaurant. There were a ton of options to eat elsewhere both in walking distance or a short drive, though. There were even food trucks on the beach.
Pros: location, comfortable, clean, great pool area, directly on the beach
Cons: on-site restaurant seemed poorly run, carpet really stained in room

Anyone looking for a beach getaway, this is a great use of points and of free night awards!
BCBC109A-DBBC-44A8-9928-41516E7880AA.jpeg8F0336D4-625F-4892-9AB1-921B17BEBD16.jpegF84E0B25-629B-4AEA-9419-836E683B3F01.jpegE18B9896-BDD4-4309-8D02-2D1982416765.jpegFB7D3796-B93C-4683-B2EB-49CED539E7FF.jpeg

Hyatt Residence Club Lake Tahoe, High Sierra Lodge
April, 2021
Category 7
Incline Village, NV

Stayed here for spring break. It's part of Hyatt's vacation club (i.e. timeshare) and located next to the Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe. All units are 2 bedrooms. Paid the cash rate of $262/night, which was a better deal than the points rate which is either 30k or 48k. Seems to depend on if the cash rate is high. There's a resort fee of $25, but parking is free (the hotel side has both a resort fee and parking fee).

The unit was comfortable and spacious. It appeared clean, except for the Oreo we found under the dining table. There’s a living room with sofa bed (that we didn’t use), dining table, full kitchen, and washer/dryer. The master bedroom has a king bed with en suite bathroom. Second bedroom has 2 queen beds and an attached bathroom that’s also accessible from the living area. Our unit was on the second floor with a balcony facing a wooded area. I was glad not to be in a unit near a walking path.

BC9D943A-EA36-49FA-A59D-36D6D332AD6E.jpeg2692A6C0-28A7-4D73-AF25-05FA8D7C2964.jpeg

We had access to all the amenities on the hotel side. The club side has their own pool, but we went to the hotel since we were told it’s heated to a higher temperature. We were there when temperatures were in the high 50’s. The hotel pool has a convenient swim-in/swim-out room, so you don’t have to get cold when you get out of the pool. Towels were freely available for the taking, as many as you want. I hate when hotels make you check out towels, so none of that!

The hotel runs activities, which included several different hikes (complimentary). The times didn’t end up working out for us. I wish I contacted them beforehand for the schedule. The hotel has its own private beach on the lake. The kids had fun playing in the sand. Their upscale restaurant, Lone Eagle Grille, is on the beach. They didn’t have the outdoor tables set up on their patio area though, which I thought was a missed opportunity. I guess they only have that in the summer.

A38D1FF0-BD0A-4E0B-A3DC-153DE6E4B2F7.jpeg

We found the location really convenient. There’s a small plaza with several restaurants across the street, we got takeout from 3 of them. The shopping area of Incline Village is only 5 minutes’ drive away. There’s a Raley’s supermarket there and many restaurants. The kids took skiing lessons at Diamond Peak, which is only 7 minutes away. The hotel also runs a shuttle, but parking wasn’t an issue late season on weekdays, so we just drove.

We did a hike to Monkey Rock, the trailhead is behind Tunnel Creek Café, only 5 minutes away. There’s a rock that someone carved to look like a gorilla head. It wasn’t immediately obvious where it was until we looked in the right direction. We asked some fellow hikers, but they thought the big rock they were sitting on was it. 😅

9321A108-B8FA-49A2-B209-313937ADE3F8.jpeg

On Saturday, we went back to the same parking area to do the Tahoe East Shore Trail, which runs along part of the lake. We couldn’t find parking, so did a bit of a driving tour instead. It was very busy! I was glad to have done everything else on weekdays.

C38B4C8D-4CAB-4983-BC3F-F6D781BF9054.jpeg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter