Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Thanks everyone!

Awesome about the job ! A bookstore would be a great job for me but I would spend most of my paycheck there... ;)

Thanks! I worked in bookstores (children's books are my other weakness, after fabric!) for years ending a few years ago, the discount is very nice but it's hard not spending all your check on books.

I try not to check the Disney fabric on Etsy. I love everything that I see. I have some that I ordered last spring and I haven't used it yet. I keep saving it for something "important". I may never cut into it!

Congratulations on the new job. I hope you love it. I am sure you will have the money saved for the embroidery machine in no time.

I have a project in progress for all these great Japanese prints, a 30 day Disney trip fabric countdown chain, so I "needed" 30 different characters, or at least 30 different fabrics. I have all the links made EXCEPT the ones that require the expensive, rare Japanese fabric--the fussy cutting makes me too nervous.:scared1:

sshhh don't tell me THAT! I'm gonna keep them uncut for a bit simply because I haven't a clue how to sew! My mom is going to help me with that so at least until I figure out what to make, the fabric is certainly safe and will be collecting in numbers until then...maybe they will MULTIPLY :rotfl2:

Good luck with that fabric breeding program, let us know how it goes! You might be on to something! :lmao:

I can only look at your cover photos. There is another album with 103 pictures but when you click on it, it says there are no pictures in it. I'm thinking you didn't make it public.

:eek: I didn't even see that much, I don't have a facebook so maybe thats why I didn't see anything.
I can't wait to try and see all the clothes in action though.

I wore a size 10 womens all through junior high and high school (and beyond.) I was 32-20-32. I lived in the hoop skirt (for formals) era, but fortunately not corsets. We did wear lots of petticoats and you always wore a slip with a dress...so petticoats went over the slip. A "lady" always wore a girdle, though. You can see by my measurements that I had no physical need for one:rotfl2:but my mother insisted. No "lady" went out without stockings, gloves and a hat. I was born in 1945.

My mother sewed all my clothes, so the petticoats had elastic since she knew my measurements so well. Clothes were starched and ironed--yuck. When I was a baby, my mother made all my underpants with ruffles--she even ironed the ruffles!

Clothes are so much easier to wear now and so much easier to care for. Imagine Houston without air conditioning in lots and lots of layers of clothes. For every day, I would wear a slip, 2 or 3 petticoats, underwear and dress or skirt and blouse (which must be tucked in.) Then I either wore socks or stockings depending on whether it was school or a dress up occasion. If it were dress up--add girdle, gloves and hat to the outfit! Going shopping, going to church, out to eat, etc-- was dress up. School and play were the only casual times.

Oh, and my father was a postman so we were not socialites--just ordinary folk.

Sandi S said:
Let's see if this works - here's my album of WDW photos from our trip posted to FB (but the link should be good for anyone to view): Disney pics

Let me know if it works!

Adorable family! Looks like you had fun. Great pictures, what camera do you use? So many cute outfits! Love the brave, princess, mermaid, and Mickey dresses. Love the green goofy shirt, buzz outfit, p&f shirt. Loved your sassy princess and Hawaii dress, and all the emb shirts! Really loved them all! Sooooo cute!

Piper I personally feel that many people wear too few clothes in Houston these days, but I can't imagine wearing all those layers in the Houston summer with AC let alone without it and there is no way you would catch me ironing ruffles on underwear. LOL.

Piper: I too grew up in that time,had to wear a dress to dinner even in dorms at college! I still don't feel dressed with no nylons under a dress! We did manage a very healthy active childhood even in a dress although pants were allowed for play! Everyone have a great day!

I wore a size 10 womens all through junior high and high school (and beyond.) I was 32-20-32. I lived in the hoop skirt (for formals) era, but fortunately not corsets. We did wear lots of petticoats and you always wore a slip with a dress...so petticoats went over the slip. A "lady" always wore a girdle, though. You can see by my measurements that I had no physical need for one:rotfl2:but my mother insisted. No "lady" went out without stockings, gloves and a hat. I was born in 1945.

My mother sewed all my clothes, so the petticoats had elastic since she knew my measurements so well. Clothes were starched and ironed--yuck. When I was a baby, my mother made all my underpants with ruffles--she even ironed the ruffles!

Clothes are so much easier to wear now and so much easier to care for. Imagine Houston without air conditioning in lots and lots of layers of clothes. For every day, I would wear a slip, 2 or 3 petticoats, underwear and dress or skirt and blouse (which must be tucked in.) Then I either wore socks or stockings depending on whether it was school or a dress up occasion. If it were dress up--add girdle, gloves and hat to the outfit! Going shopping, going to church, out to eat, etc-- was dress up. School and play were the only casual times.

Piper, I came across my Grandfather's slides earlier this summer so my summer project has been scanning them all into the computer. The earliest I have seen so far is from 1951. It has been so fun to see the outfits my grandmother wore as well as my aunt when she was a toddler and little girl. All the formal occasion pictures, church, weddings, all the women had their hats on gloves on. It has been real interesting for me and gave me a new perspective, my memories of my grandmother were so different than what I'm seeing in the pictures.

Piper, my father was a postman too (in San Antonio). I can remember waiting patiently on Christmas Eve for Daddy to get home so we could open our presents - he always came in with both arms full of presents that the people on his route gave him. Back in those days, most of the ladies didn't work so everyone knew their postman!

When I was small my dad's route was River Oaks (which was then the richest area of Houston.) My dad was always very regular and you could practically set you watch by his schedule. He was also very friendly. He used to get lots of presents, too. Dad was one of the people who quietly helped others when he saw that they needed it. For example, he would quietly go back to church on Sunday afternoon and pull the weeds from the flower beds--no one knew. He often helped others. When he died, I had a lot of older and a few younger men come up to me and tell me that my dad was the best friend they had ever had.

My mother, on the other hand was "showey"--note the emphasis on my looking and acting like a lady. I never saw her do things for others unless she got acknowledgement and lots of it. I never felt that I quite lived up to her expectations. Guess who I admired and wanted to model myself after?

Sounds like a lot of work to get dressed. I was always made to wear slips growing up too. It pains me that they don't sell them for kids anymore.

I hope this hasn't been asked too often. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good sewing machine that you can do machine appliqué on? Thanks so much for the help!

I hope this hasn't been asked too often. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good sewing machine that you can do machine appliqué on? Thanks so much for the help!

I don't have an embroidery machine but I think most everyone uses two separate machine because it can be a pain to change from sewing to embroidery and back again. Also with having two separate machines you can have the embroidery machine stitching out and sew at the same time. I'm sure others will chime in though.

I didn't even think about that! I know the brother computerized sewing machine was mentioned in the first section of the thread. But does anyone have specific machines that they would recommend? Sewing is still new for me. I have been using my grandma's machine, but would like one of my own.

I didn't even think about that! I know the brother computerized sewing machine was mentioned in the first section of the thread. But does anyone have specific machines that they would recommend? Sewing is still new for me. I have been using my grandma's machine, but would like one of my own.

I got a Brother Project Runway sewing and embroidery machine as a grand prize at a Sewing Expo in June - haven't messed with the embroidery much since I have a stand alone Bernina, but it sews very nicely.

I love the Bobbsey twins books when I was little. I read a ton of them. My mother was always buying them for me at the used book store or at yard sales. That dress pattern definitely reminds of something they would wear.

I'd love to know if you are able to alter the diaper cover pattern successfully. I have a pattern for a ruffled diaper cover which is so sweet but it is a pain to make because you have to make a casing. I can't really see why you wouldn't be able to make them that way. I know on dresses the I purchase for my girls they had diaper covers made with the narrow elastic exposed and not inside a casing.

I'm really enjoying re-reading the Bobbsey Twins with my kids right now! Strangely, I am noticing some very old style, borderline racist comments in the older versions (green covers) that I never noticed as a child. It will make for some interesting discussion material when they are a bit older.

The diaper cover you describe sounds like the same one I'm making - from Tye Dye Diva? I want to make some to sell, but they are so time-intensive! I actually copied a pair of bloomers my dd has last night and did the mini-elastic. It worked out pretty well, but I think I need an actual pattern that has that style to combine with the TDD pattern to really make it work. I'll let you know if I get it figured out.

Let's see if this works - here's my album of WDW photos from our trip posted to FB (but the link should be good for anyone to view): Disney pics

Let me know if it works!

Looks like a great trip! Which of Gracie's outfits garnered the most attention? She looks adorable in all of them! (And of course, you all look great in everything, too!)

Wow! I can't even fathom that many layers with no AC. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man!

I meant the hoopskirts and corsets of the antebellum South. 1840s or so. :)

Regards,
C.

Hi! It was recommended by another diser that I ask here on this thread for a fabric that I am in search of. I am trying to find the fabric in the below picture. The one with the kids and flags on it. I need about a yard. Please let me know if you know the name of the fabric or where I can find it!!! Thank you!!
epcotfabric.jpg

Hi all!!! I was lurking and posted about finding fabric... I wanted to post an outfit I made ALL by myself!!!

I am not the pro you ladies are but I am trying. I made the applique and shorts tonight. I used a zig zag stitch to go around mickeys head. It was much harder than I thought it would be. I just have a regular sewing machine.
IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

This shirt I really messed up on the stitching but I am hoping when it is on my son you cannot notice it.
IMG_1468.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!:yay:

Hi all!!! I was lurking and posted about finding fabric... I wanted to post an outfit I made ALL by myself!!!

I am not the pro you ladies are but I am trying. I made the applique and shorts tonight. I used a zig zag stitch to go around mickeys head. It was much harder than I thought it would be. I just have a regular sewing machine.
IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

This shirt I really messed up on the stitching but I am hoping when it is on my son you cannot notice it.
IMG_1468.jpg

Those are awesome! I only have a regular machine too, and was wondering if that was even possible. Thanks for trying it out first! LOL :thumbsup2

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

They look great!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter