Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

I have a pattern that I want to make but I just can't find the right patter/fabric that I want to use to make it. I would love suggestions ......

Here are the details, it is a 1957 children's pattern in size 6. I may or not make the hat but I will be doing everything else for the dress. I want it to be fun but not over the top, something that can be worn on any day. Something that can be worn to school. Here is the pattern and requirements.....

Thanks for helping !

I love this pattern, just adorable....and I can't wait to see it all sewn up! I think if it were me I might do the dress in multicolored polkadots on a white background and try to find a coordinating multicolor stripe for the bottom. You could even do rick rack around the collar in a coordinating color and colored buttons or something like that! But you know you can plan these things out then get to the fabric store and it ALL changes!!! ;)

I just wanted to say thanks to all that shared info about finding Japanese fabric! I took your advice and checked out those shops on Etsy! Man there is sooooo much to pick from :)

Love all the pillowcases and fabrics you used, I need to make some more and ship them off. That's frustrating about the size of the flannel, I'm sure they are trying to be sneaky and don't expect many people to actually measure to see how much smaller it is!

Yesterday I emailed the website and asked if it's really 43" because in the store it's 41". I'll be very interested in their reply!

:scratchin

Love the pillowcases. It is pretty stinky that they keep making the fabric smaller yet charging us more.

Love the quilting idea. That is a very smart way to do the straight lines!

Thanks and thanks. :)

Thank you, I decided that I kinda like it too!

And thank you everyone for your help - I finally did it!!!

And now to share how simple the fix was - I was using the wrong presser foot. :rolleyes2

Yes, I can laugh at myself now!! :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Looks good. Yeah for you for persisting. :cool1:

Whoops. I guess I was too energetic deleting. Forget what I was going to comment on. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Edited to add a quick picture of the pool robes I made for the kids. They love them, and they came in so handy walking through the lobby to get to and from the pool!
photo-3.jpg

They look great and thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial. :thumbsup2

They look so pretty!!! One of these days I'm actually going to do this!

Thanks and hooray for heathersue's designs on the t-shirts.

PS Isn't the current Powerball lottery winner from Michigan? Any of your neighbors suddenly pulling down their shades and not answering the phone?

ARE YOU pulling down your shades and not answering the phone???

Cheryl - these look great. I've been hesitant to buy the fabric because I know you mentioned it was getting smaller at JoAnn's. Is there another good store that sell the wider flannel? Thanks for the quilting tips. I like how you did the double lines on the diagonal. Dorrrine must love her quilt.

Excellent question. According to the Hobby Lobby website their flannel is wider, but when I went to the store it's gotten smaller, too. (I forget the exact numbers.) I wonder if the stores are "conveniently" not updating their websites or if it's an honest oversight.

:drive: My baby left New York today headed for California and college. Keep your eyes open for a black Forester with NY veteran license plates. His first stop is Kentucky.

My poor DS brought home a cold with him from out trip and since he is such a generous boy he decided to share it with me. :worried:

Recently I completed another set of pillowcases for Give Kids the World. I made only 37 pillowcases this time because the flannel keeps getting smaller and it's harder to get four pillowcases from a yard. I think next go around I may just plan to make three :worried: per yard.

Back in the day the flannel was 44-45" wide, last week at Joann I checked and it's down to 41"!!! (The website still lists 43", but when I checked a bolt at the store it's 41".) Surprisingly the price has not gone down to reflect the smaller size!

th_sewing070.jpg

It occured to me that maybe you aren't quilting straight lines, in which case my method won't work.

I also occured to me that Nini has much more experience in these things than I.

And probably other disboutiquers are more experienced in quilting than I do, but here goes.

Here's the way I do it for straight lines.

(I don't happen to have a top ready to quilt, so used some faux quilt material.)

Use your ruler to line up skinny (not that it has to be skinny, but that's what I have) masking tape, and then use the masking tape as a guide when you sew.

th_sewing071.jpg
th_sewing072.jpg

The above photos are to sew about 1/4" in from the seam. You'd sew 1/4" from the other side of the seam, too.

th_sewing073.jpg

Or you can sew diagonally.

th_sewing077.jpg

I did the "double" diagonal for Dorrrine's quilt.

:drive: My baby left New York today headed for California and college. Keep your eyes open for a black Forester with NY veteran license plates. His first stop is Kentucky.

The pillowcases look great! I have also been noticing the shrinking of usable fabric on the bolts. It is SUPER frustrating. Thank you so much for posting the quilting tutorial. I hope to start working on a replacement blanket for my littlest DD so I think this info will come in super useful for me. Praying for safe travels for your DS.

I have a pattern that I want to make but I just can't find the right patter/fabric that I want to use to make it. I would love suggestions ......

Here are the details, it is a 1957 children's pattern in size 6. I may or not make the hat but I will be doing everything else for the dress. I want it to be fun but not over the top, something that can be worn on any day. Something that can be worn to school. Here is the pattern and requirements.....

th_IMAG0471.jpg
th_IMAG0472.jpg
th_IMAG0474.jpg
th_IMAG0469.jpg
th_IMAG0473.jpg

Thanks for helping !

Oh my golly I ADORE this pattern! So cute! To me it screams polka dots. Either that or a small pastel floral pattern (thinking yellow with a yellow/white stripe for the bottom.....maybe even a border print)

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good site or place to buy Japanese disney fabric. Also has anyone seen any Jake and neverland pirate themed fabric? Thanks for all your help!! I thought I should direct this question to the experts :)

Glad you found the wonderful world of etsy fabric shopping! Be warned, it's SUPER addicting.

QUESTION: For those who have made the simply sweet dress, I am starting to cut out two to make Minnie dresses for a friend's twins 3rd birthday Minnie party, and it says for the bodice to use 3 fabrics. I have whit muslin I use for my bowling shirts lining, but it says to use gingham or something else I am not familiar with for the underlying. I have green gingham on hand, though not much, should I use 2 layers of white muslin? Or risk the green showing thru pink polka dots, or I have iron-on interfacing, if I do that on both the fashion and lining fabric will that work?

Everyone else has sufficiently answered, but yes you can use the muslin you already have and it will work just fine. I have only made the dolly version of this dress, so I can't comment too much about looks.

Thank you, I decided that I kinda like it too!

And thank you everyone for your help - I finally did it!!!

And now to share how simple the fix was - I was using the wrong presser foot.

Yes, I can laugh at myself now!!

Hurray hurray for getting it to stitch out right! Don't feel bad. I remember not too long ago I was lamenting because I was CERTAIN that I had messed up the timing on my machine (skipping stitches big time, breaking threads, etc.) and it ended up being that I had inserted the needle in the wrong way.

Ditto to all of this. I used 3 layers on my first simply sweet, but have not since then. I usually use the skirt fabric to line the top. And I also do not line the bowling shirts. My little guy is a heavy sweater and I think the double layer would be too hot for him. But that's just personal preference. I like the look of the lined shirts, I just think my boy would melt into a puddle :rotfl:

Edited to add a quick picture of the pool robes I made for the kids. They love them, and they came in so handy walking through the lobby to get to and from the pool!
th_photo-3.jpg

I love the beach robes! Looks so cute!

I love this pattern, just adorable....and I can't wait to see it all sewn up! I think if it were me I might do the dress in multicolored polkadots on a white background and try to find a coordinating multicolor stripe for the bottom. You could even do rick rack around the collar in a coordinating color and colored buttons or something like that! But you know you can plan these things out then get to the fabric store and it ALL changes!!! ;)

Oh this is exactly what I was thinking too!

I'm being such a wuss but this head cold has seriously knocked me out! Tomorrow is DH's bday but the family is celebrating today since he has plans with friends tomorrow. Which means I have to drag my behind into the kitchen and make his cake! better scoot!

Sunshine

because I really don't feel like baking a cake right now (and drooling over fabric is more fun....)

IMAG0471.jpg

IMAG0472.jpg

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0469.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

Thanks for helping !

what about something like this for a fall dress:

xprd11605953_m.jpg

And then do the collar, cuffs, belt and even the chunky border in either a navy or even a solid chocolate color.

I also really like this yellow/white/gray print:

xprd11711256_m.jpg

Sunshine

So after someone busted out the idea of buying fabric from Japan on Etsy I of course HAD to check it out. Yeh thanks! I JUST bought a slew of fabric from 2 shops (though one was Taiwan!). Thanks enablers!

:thumbsup2 I find myself doing a search for Disney Fabric on etsy just to "see what's new" and then you HAVE to buy stuff because you'll never find it again, etc. And THEN, if you're anything like me, you'll get it in fat quarters and then you're too scared to cut into it because it's so rare and amazing! :faint:

I just wanted to say thanks to all that shared info about finding Japanese fabric! I took your advice and checked out those shops on Etsy! Man there is sooooo much to pick from :)

::yes::

Good luck to him and to you, that is quite the move!

Soo....I got the job! It is part time at a local independent bookstore. It will be an adjustment but we can do it. My DD's response was "NOOOOOO!" and then when told that DH would be with her, "But he's too prickly!" :rotfl2: So as long as he keeps up his shaving we should all be OK. Now I will just have to restrain myself from ordering my PE770 before I even earn the money!

BorkBorkBork said:
:thumbsup2 I find myself doing a search for Disney Fabric on etsy just to "see what's new" and then you HAVE to buy stuff because you'll never find it again, etc. And THEN, if you're anything like me, you'll get it in fat quarters and then you're too scared to cut into it because it's so rare and amazing! :faint

This is sooooo me. Ugh.

Soo....I got the job! It is part time at a local independent bookstore. It will be an adjustment but we can do it. My DD's response was "NOOOOOO!" and then when told that DH would be with her, "But he's too prickly!" :rotfl2: So as long as he keeps up his shaving we should all be OK. Now I will just have to restrain myself from ordering my PE770 before I even earn the money!

Yeah, congrats. Yeah I always seem to spend before I make it and then have to catch up. Good luck doing it the"smart way"

:thumbsup2 I find myself doing a search for Disney Fabric on etsy just to "see what's new" and then you HAVE to buy stuff because you'll never find it again, etc. And THEN, if you're anything like me, you'll get it in fat quarters and then you're too scared to cut into it because it's so rare and amazing! :faint:

I'm the same way with fabric. I have to have it but then I don't want to cut into it. Congrats on the job, how exciting!

I had more quotes but my computer is still quite wonky and I don't know what happened to them, they must have gone to la la land.

AboveH20: Safe travels to you son. Tell him to wave if he drives through Colorado

th_IMAG0471.jpg

Thanks for helping !

Oh, that pattern is TDF! I LOVE vintage designs! That makes me think of the girls in the Bobbsey Twins books. I don't have any great suggestions, but I'd probably lean towards a single color calico with a subtle print.

.I always use all 3 layers with my Simply Sweet and just put scrap fabric between them. I never thought of making it with just the bodice & lining fabrics and skipping the underlining but of course it would make it lighter. Are there any other advantages other than saving time, fabric and making a cooler dress (those are a lot of advantages lol) and how does the finished bodice feel compared to one made with all 3 layers?

I made my first one with three, but haven't since then. I personally think the waistline seam is too bulky with three layers, so that's an advantage to me. :)

th_photo-3.jpg

Those are really cute! That chenille looks so cozy after a swim!

That sounds like quite a trip! Prayers for safe travels!

Question - Has anyone run across directions for stitching narrow elastic onto a diaper cover leg rather than make a casing or applying bias tape? I want to alter a pattern to speed up construction.

Regards,
C.

Congratulations!!!

Oh, that pattern is TDF! I LOVE vintage designs! That makes me think of the girls in the Bobbsey Twins books. I don't have any great suggestions, but I'd probably lean towards a single color calico with a subtle print.

Those are really cute! That chenille looks so cozy after a swim!

Oh, I LOVED the Bobbsey Twins books! That pattern does remind me of them, too!

The robes are made from really cozy bath towels I found on sale at Kmart for about $4 each! Such a steal. They do remind me of chenille, I hadn't thought of that. They are very soft!

Those are the kind of dresses I wore as a child. All girls wore dresses and the dresses had full skirts and most of the ones for girls under 10 had sashes on the back. I was so excited to get my first dress without a sash! You always wore petticoats and often 3 or 4 of them. I was a teenager before I got my first "straight" skirt. You did NOT wear jeans or slacks to school. You would get sent home if you did. It wasn't "ladylike." (I got sick of hearing that phrase--it seemed like anything I wanted to do wasn't "ladylike!"

Oh my golly I ADORE this pattern! So cute! To me it screams polka dots. Either that or a small pastel floral pattern (thinking yellow with a yellow/white stripe for the bottom.....maybe even a border print)

I'm being such a wuss but this head cold has seriously knocked me out! Tomorrow is DH's bday but the family is celebrating today since he has plans with friends tomorrow. Which means I have to drag my behind into the kitchen and make his cake! better scoot!

Sunshine

I hadn't thought of polka dots before. That could be fun cuz then I could use a solid or striped on the bottom portion. I'll have to measure out the pieces so I know exactly what I am looking for when I'm shopping.

because I really don't feel like baking a cake right now (and drooling over fabric is more fun....)

what about something like this for a fall dress:

xprd11605953_m.jpg

And then do the collar, cuffs, belt and even the chunky border in either a navy or even a solid chocolate color.

I also really like this yellow/white/gray print:

xprd11711256_m.jpg

Sunshine

I like both of those. I didn't even see them tonight at Joann's. I need a few 50% coupons to buy the fabric for this... maybe I'll look through my stash and have something that will work but I know I'll only have 2 yards so I'll still have to shop. (I usually by my fabric in 2 yard increments since most of the newer/smaller patterns take that or less.)

Awesome about the job ! A bookstore would be a great job for me but I would spend most of my paycheck there... ;)

Question - Has anyone run across directions for stitching narrow elastic onto a diaper cover leg rather than make a casing or applying bias tape? I want to alter a pattern to speed up construction.

Regards,
C.

I didn't think of the Bobbsey Twins until you said it. I don't know why, I loved reading all of those books growing up. Maybe that's why I like the dress so much.

Joann's sells an elastic for the leg that wraps over the edges and you just sew that on and doesn't look like you need to cover it at all.

http://www.joann.com/babyville-fold-over-elastic-blue-green/zprd_11109139a/

Those are the kind of dresses I wore as a child. All girls wore dresses and the dresses had full skirts and most of the ones for girls under 10 had sashes on the back. I was so excited to get my first dress without a sash! You always wore petticoats and often 3 or 4 of them. I was a teenager before I got my first "straight" skirt. You did NOT wear jeans or slacks to school. You would get sent home if you did. It wasn't "ladylike." (I got sick of hearing that phrase--it seemed like anything I wanted to do wasn't "ladylike!"

There are pictures of me in babydoll dresses when I was little in the 70's and then the 80's was, well... the 80's for my ages 4-14.

Did your petticoats tie ? These dresses all call for tied petticoats. I really want to alter it for elastic so I'm going to try that. I'm also going to make multiple layers of petticoat all on one so it is really full.

I have one vintage dress/jumper to make before this one. I'm using vintage fabric for the jumper and new fabric for the top. The top is actually sewn onto the petticoat so it should be interesting. When I get it done, I'll post the pattern and then the finished project. I really have to catalog my patterns with photo's and info.

Thanks for all the suggestions on fabric. Keep it coming !

I love the swim cover ups/robes. Maybe someday I'll do that. I have a sweet bathing suit pattern that I want to do and it could use a matching cover up.

All the embroidery is so cute. A machine for myself is much further down the line.

The Bobbsey Twins were some of my all time favorite books as a kid and now I'm reading them aloud to my kids. I have always wondered how girls could play with such poofy skirts. Did girls just not climb trees or rollerskate? Or did they do all that in their dresses, Piper?

When I look at historical fashions, I often wish I'd had the chance to live in those eras and enjoy those clothes! I'd love the chance to go back to hoopskirts and corsets, just for a short time. ;)

Regards,
C.

photo-3.jpg
Love the pool robes. My girls always loved to have pool cover ups when they were little. We had tons of them with different princesses on them that I bought at the Disney store. One year when they were about 2 and 3, I guess the summer stuff didn't sell very well. At the end of the summer the bathing suits, cover ups, flip flops and towels were all on sale for $2.99 each. I bought enough to last the girls until they were about 7 and 8! Which worked out perfectly because the very next year was the year they both said that they didn't want any more stuff with princesses on it.

:thumbsup2 I find myself doing a search for Disney Fabric on etsy just to "see what's new" and then you HAVE to buy stuff because you'll never find it again, etc.

Soo....I got the job! It is part time at a local independent bookstore.
I try not to check the Disney fabric on Etsy. I love everything that I see. I have some that I ordered last spring and I haven't used it yet. I keep saving it for something "important". I may never cut into it!

Congratulations on the new job. I hope you love it. I am sure you will have the money saved for the embroidery machine in no time.

Regards,
C.

I love the Bobbsey twins books when I was little. I read a ton of them. My mother was always buying them for me at the used book store or at yard sales. That dress pattern definitely reminds of something they would wear.

I'd love to know if you are able to alter the diaper cover pattern successfully. I have a pattern for a ruffled diaper cover which is so sweet but it is a pain to make because you have to make a casing. I can't really see why you wouldn't be able to make them that way. I know on dresses the I purchase for my girls they had diaper covers made with the narrow elastic exposed and not inside a casing.

BTW- Hancock Fabrics has Simplicity and McCalls patterns on sale for the next couple of days for 99 cents each. I bought 3 McCalls and 3 Simplicity patterns today. I had a couple more that I thought about buying and decided not to and now I wish that I had gotten them. I also found some really cute fabrics on the clearance rack and they were marked 70% and 80% off the tickets price. It is mostly stuff for next spring so you'll have to wait a while to see what I make with it. LOL!

sshhh don't tell me THAT! I'm gonna keep them uncut for a bit simply because I haven't a clue how to sew! My mom is going to help me with that so at least until I figure out what to make, the fabric is certainly safe and will be collecting in numbers until then...maybe they will MULTIPLY :rotfl2:

I like both of those. I didn't even see them tonight at Joann's. I need a few 50% coupons to buy the fabric for this... maybe I'll look through my stash and have something that will work but I know I'll only have 2 yards so I'll still have to shop. (I usually by my fabric in 2 yard increments since most of the newer/smaller patterns take that or less.)

Do you have a smartphone....the Joann app has coupons on it that you can use OVER AND OVER (on separate purchases of course) until they expire!

Let's see if this works - here's my album of WDW photos from our trip posted to FB (but the link should be good for anyone to view): Disney pics

Let me know if it works!

Do you have a smartphone....the Joann app has coupons on it that you can use OVER AND OVER (on separate purchases of course) until they expire!

I do have it. a 40% and a 10% off of all. I'm doing good not buying anything more. I actually went in today and only bought interfacing for my DS and no other fabric. I left after spending only $5.

I do have a bunch of adult vintage patterns just sitting around. They won't fit anyone I know and I do want to make a few. if anyone wants to see them I have pictures online. I have not checked to make sure all the pieces are there yet though.

This is my favorite one, I really want to make this.

P5146786.jpg

I think it is 24 waist and 32 bust.

Let's see if this works - here's my album of WDW photos from our trip posted to FB (but the link should be good for anyone to view): Disney pics

Let me know if it works!

I can only look at your cover photos. There is another album with 103 pictures but when you click on it, it says there are no pictures in it. I'm thinking you didn't make it public.

th_photo-3.jpg

I followed an online tutorial. I hope it's ok to post the link here: http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/media/blog/childspoolrobe.pdf

I added the pockets by accident. My machine jumped on the first Mack I tried to stitch out, so I covered it with a pocket :good vibes It ended up so cute that I added it to my daughter's robe too.

LOVE the robes. I was looking for something like this for my sons.
Thanks for sharing the link:goodvibes

So after someone busted out the idea of buying fabric from Japan on Etsy I of course HAD to check it out. Yeh thanks! I JUST bought a slew of fabric from 2 shops (though one was Taiwan!). Thanks enablers!

:rotfl: That's what we are here for

:

Congrats on getting the job. :goodvibes

I was never ladylike either but luckily I grew up in a generation were we could wear jeans too school.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter