Disboutiquers Part 13 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for your prayers! THEY WORKED!!!!!

Mom just called and Granny is doing better and we were able to get her back into the nursing home (the one near my mom) and Granny could not be happier about it! All the doctors agreed that she needed to be there and one DR even wrote a letter to Social Services on her behalf...without being asked or telling us....we found out from her social worker! We are so happy and now my mom can relax! THANKS again to all of you for you kind words and prayers!

I'm so happy for your family!

Oh my goodness you guys, I have some really WONDERFUL news!!!!! ABSOLUTELY wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We just found out late yesterday that we will FINALLY be able to adopt our beautiful baby boy!!!!! After 17 very long months of worrying and fearing the worst, we finally have an adoption date!!!! Oh I am soooooooo excited!!!! This smile has not left my face since I heard the news! In the beginning of July our son will become ours legally forever and ever!!! No more worrying that he will be ripped from our lives!!! This huge weight of fear has been lifted and we have truly been blessed!!!!!!!!! Oh I can not wait......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and prayers. You guys are the best and I love being a part of this group!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:love::cloud9::lovestruc:goodvibes:flower3:

After a busy week with my Mom visiting I am way behind but I made it up to here and I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Here is the second dress I made today. This fabric came from billwendy too. Thank you so much!!
100_4551.jpg
Cute!

Please say a prayer for my friend Dionne- she is pregnant too, due about 5 days before me, she was having irregular contractions, and she went in, but they sent her home, now they are inducing her tomorrow because they are concerned about amount of fluid/baby size.
Hope things went well today for Dionne!

:laundy:I am waiting for my sheets to finish in the wash so I was able to upload a few pics to photobucket! :cool1:

We had a great time in florida I spent alot of time with my family. Both services were very nice and my Mom and Sister with baby Abby were able to fly down. It was very special to have the whole family there.
I am thinking of posting a little Trip report on our time. :confused3
Disneymay2009054.jpg

So The girls and I are going to find Tyler and Terry after riding the teacups, and I see this woman who looks just like Teresa Joy, So we get alittle closer and I noticed Corey then Brian and the girls! :scared1: I really didnt want to act like a total freak so I was just a little bit of a dork and I said" I know you from Dis boards I am a disboutiquer" We talked for a few minutes and Corey and Arminda took pictures for us.
Disneymay2009162.jpg

Lady Tremane asked me if my outfit was inspired by her girls. :lmao:
Disneymay2009099.jpg

Disneymay2009067.jpg
Looks like you had a great time! How cool that you met Teresa!

Well, since I made the Cinderella dress with the pillowcase for a Birthday present last week I have had requests from others to purchase them. Here are 2 I did for ladies I work with. The jumper style one is for our receptionists 7 yr old daughter, and the halter style for the bookkeepers 3 yr old granddaughter.

Those look great!

Mom just called and Granny is doing better and we were able to get her back into the nursing home (the one near my mom) and Granny could not be happier about it! All the doctors agreed that she needed to be there and one DR even wrote a letter to Social Services on her behalf...without being asked or telling us....we found out from her social worker! We are so happy and now my mom can relax! THANKS again to all of you for you kind words and prayers!
What great news!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My sewing attempt so far has not been so great.

Okay - first off, I did read the applique instructions from the link on page 1 and printed them out. They are wonderful. I bought heat n bond and when I started my practice mickey head, I realized I bought Heat n bond Interfacing. What in the world can I do with that?

I went back to the store yesterday and bought the Heat N bond lite.

I cut out a small Mickey head and put it on an old tshirt of dds. I used the Sulky stabilizer. I did some practice stitches then went around the mickey head. It looks pitiful. I seriously think my 2nd grader could have done just as well :rotfl2: I had a problem with staying on the edge because I couldn't see the edge due to my presser foot. Now, the instructions showed an applique presser foot, but my sewing machine instructions on the applique page show the regular foot being used. I looked at the optional foots that will fit the sewing machine and an applique foot was not listed. Then I saw that one of them is called a Satin stitch presser foot. I remembered reading somewhere that this stitch is called a satin stitch. So I found a clear satin stitch presser foot online and ordered it. So hopefully that will come soon and I can practice my applique again.

Shew ---- that was an earful. Sorry to ramble.

Last night I started my dd's pirate shorts. I am just adding some pirate fabric to the bottom of her shorts. It took me over an hour to do one leg.(Don't laugh, but my sewing skills require that I read the manuel everytime I sew. Maybe I need to sew more often.) On the plus side, it looks much better than the pair I did for her last year. :rotfl2:
Don't give up! The clear foot will really help! You might want to practice on something other than a T-shirt first. Did you use a ballpoint needle? That really helps too with a T and I have found it helps to use 2 layers of stabilizer.

Hello Everyone!! I am a long time lurker, like for over a year now. Just haven't taken the time to jump on board with you guys. You all move along so quickly!! After finding this thread I was inspired to start sewing. So, over the last year I have improved some, still no where as awesome as you guys are.

This is my latest creating Carla's Precious Dress
DanceComp-KayDress012.jpg

DanceComp-KayDress013.jpg

Just because I thought it was cute.
DanceComp-KayDress009.jpg

Matching Bow - still working on getting down the bow making process.
DanceComp-KayDress015.jpg

I do have a question!! :confused3
I haven't ever sewn for anyone else, but a teacher at my children's school asked that I make her girls a pair of easy fit pants and a T-shirt with a applique on it. Where would I begin to figure out how much to charge her for something like that? She is going to provide the t-shirts. Can someone please PM me and give me an idea where to start in figuring out a price. TIA

Lee Ann

How cute! Love the monogramed bow!!!!

Thank You:) I really hope your Braxton's ease up so you can be comfortable!! And packing the bag is probably A good idea. You never know how quick it may come on! I only had a bag packed for 1 out of 3 of mine. Of course he was my first and I had been packed since about 20 weeks pregnant, I was slightly excited :laughing: We tried for almost 5 years for him.
Thanks Kara, funny Im the opposite. The first time I had only planned to go to the birth center and since you dont stay for much after care, you dont need as much, so I had almost nothing packed and when they told me we had to go the hospital. So THIS time I really packed!

Hello Everyone!! I am a long time lurker, like for over a year now. Just haven't taken the time to jump on board with you guys. You all move along so quickly!! After finding this thread I was inspired to start sewing. So, over the last year I have improved some, still no where as awesome as you guys are.

DanceComp-KayDress012.jpg

DanceComp-KayDress015.jpg

I haven't ever sewn for anyone else, but a teacher at my children's school asked that I make her girls a pair of easy fit pants and a T-shirt with a applique on it. Where would I begin to figure out how much to charge her for something like that? She is going to provide the t-shirts. Can someone please PM me and give me an idea where to start in figuring out a price. TIA

Lee Ann
Sorry, I haven't a clue about what to charge people, but wanted to say the dress is beautiful and I LOVE the hairbow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope things went well today for Dionne!

Don't give up! The clear foot will really help! You might want to practice on something other than a T-shirt first. Did you use a ballpoint needle? That really helps too with a T and I have found it helps to use 2 layers of stabilizer.
Thanks, I hope so too, I havent heard anything, so i assume everything went well!

Miz Diz-

If you have the satin stich foot you can practice with that- in fact I would keep practicing while you wait for your new foot. try practicing on cotton- just to get the knack. I have found a Schmetz sharps needle for cotton and ballpoint needle for knit work best. Although some feel a topstich needle works well on cotton. The key is not to pierce the fabric too much and thats all in the type of needle you use. You could just skip the applique if you decide its not working nad get the heavy heat n bond (it will say no sew) Or just do a regular zig zag instead of the satin stitch.

I have a question for those who machine applique.... is there any way to make the design larger once it is transfered to your machine? I bought Cruella from Stitch on time, but she is coming out tiny in my hoop.... I just went and checked to make sure I didn't get the 4x4 by mistake.... but it says 5x7. It is just her head, when pictured it looks like the same size as the safari minnie head I bought a few weeks ago and they are both 5x7. The minnie head, while it didn't fill the whole hoop, at least took up more then half the hoop when stitched out. I am stitching out cruella now and she isn't even taking up 1/3 of the hoop. I was hoping to get an image close to 5x7 size, but it looks like 2x3. Can I enlarge it on my machine, or should a 5x7 design really be coming out that small?

I have a question for those who machine applique.... is there any way to make the design larger once it is transfered to your machine? I bought Cruella from Stitch on time, but she is coming out tiny in my hoop.... I just went and checked to make sure I didn't get the 4x4 by mistake.... but it says 5x7. It is just her head, when pictured it looks like the same size as the safari minnie head I bought a few weeks ago and they are both 5x7. The minnie head, while it didn't fill the whole hoop, at least took up more then half the hoop when stitched out. I am stitching out cruella now and she isn't even taking up 1/3 of the hoop. I was hoping to get an image close to 5x7 size, but it looks like 2x3. Can I enlarge it on my machine, or should a 5x7 design really be coming out that small?
I don't know how to help you, but that gives me hope. Claire has some adorable designs that I would love to have one day, but most of them say 5x7. If they stitch out small then maybe they will fit in my hoop.

I'm so glad that it worked out!

Great news!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My sewing attempt so far has not been so great.

Okay - first off, I did read the applique instructions from the link on page 1 and printed them out. They are wonderful. I bought heat n bond and when I started my practice mickey head, I realized I bought Heat n bond Interfacing. What in the world can I do with that?

I went back to the store yesterday and bought the Heat N bond lite.

I cut out a small Mickey head and put it on an old tshirt of dds. I used the Sulky stabilizer. I did some practice stitches then went around the mickey head. It looks pitiful. I seriously think my 2nd grader could have done just as well :rotfl2: I had a problem with staying on the edge because I couldn't see the edge due to my presser foot. Now, the instructions showed an applique presser foot, but my sewing machine instructions on the applique page show the regular foot being used. I looked at the optional foots that will fit the sewing machine and an applique foot was not listed. Then I saw that one of them is called a Satin stitch presser foot. I remembered reading somewhere that this stitch is called a satin stitch. So I found a clear satin stitch presser foot online and ordered it. So hopefully that will come soon and I can practice my applique again.

Shew ---- that was an earful. Sorry to ramble.

Last night I started my dd's pirate shorts. I am just adding some pirate fabric to the bottom of her shorts. It took me over an hour to do one leg.(Don't laugh, but my sewing skills require that I read the manuel everytime I sew. Maybe I need to sew more often.) On the plus side, it looks much better than the pair I did for her last year. :rotfl2:

Remember, we all were beginners once. The more you sew, the less you'll have to look at the manual. I even have to look things up when it's been a long time since I've sewn and I've been sewing for over 30 years. Gosh, that makes me sound old.

th_DanceComp-KayDress012.jpg

th_DanceComp-KayDress013.jpg

Just because I thought it was cute.
th_DanceComp-KayDress009.jpg

th_DanceComp-KayDress015.jpg

Lee Ann

Welcome & glad you stepped out of lurkdom. Your dress and hairbow are really cute! I don't have any idea what to charge, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you.

I think it will more depend on your machine and software. I can enlarge things on my computer and on the machine, but I do have a high end machine.

It should show up covering most or all the canvas, so I would email Claire - perhaps she mislabeled it and sent it to you thinking it was the 5x7 but it is really the 4x4. I can stretch designs, but depending on the quality, it may not come out really well. . .

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone remembered the Easy Fit Pants for Adults :-)lmao:) pattern is that goes into plus sizes? Also -what is your teen's favorite pattern???? Thanks!!

Sounds like there is something wrong with it.

http://www.la-chakra.com/servlet/Categories?category=ROBERT+KAUFMAN

But it's only price per a "fat quarter"

A lot of places seem to be sold out!

http://www.jandofabrics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=fod000328
(this is almost $9 a yard, ouch)

Good morning all I am loving all the new things. You really make it hard for me to sew and keep up here. It's almost like you have to do one or the other.

I am writing to beg for help. I need atleast 2 yards of this fabric if i can get three that would be better.

th_pinkcupcakes.jpg

Anyone who can help with this I would be so great full. thank you.

I paid $9/yard for it but mine is blue. Seems that is about what I find decent fabrics priced at anymore. I am making a dress right now and that fabric was $11/yard! :scared1:

Has anyone see the Fairies(with Fawn the animal fairy) ribbon? I NEEEEED some. I have looked at Walmart and 2 Michaels with no luck.

I paid $9/yard for it but mine is blue. Seems that is about what I find decent fabrics priced at anymore. I am making a dress right now and that fabric was $11/yard! :scared1:

:scared1: I hate paying a lot for fabric! But I LOVE nice fabric. Can't wait to see it!

I am pages behind, but I just wanted to post that if anyone lives near Kennett Square, PA, Fabrications is closing! All fabrics, notions, etc are 50% off. They still had a lot of stock, no Disney fabric, but lots of cool fabrics. Machines are 20% off.

Krista

I am pages behind, but I just wanted to post that if anyone lives near Kennett Square, PA, Fabrications is closing! All fabrics, notions, etc are 50% off. They still had a lot of stock, no Disney fabric, but lots of cool fabrics. Machines are 20% off.

Krista

Where is it in Kennett? I live in Essington - is it worth it for me to go??????

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone remembered the Easy Fit Pants for Adults :-)lmao:) pattern is that goes into plus sizes? Also -what is your teen's favorite pattern???? Thanks!!

Wendy,

I don't remember at all:laughing: That is a TBI joke but really I have never heard of them but I know that there are so many elastic pant patterns that are really easy to make. You can do and I will help you all I can. They are easy I promise.

Krista

Wow - really? I didn't know that - I buy fabrics from them occasionally (very occasionally, since I work for Calico Corners...) Do you live or work near there? We should have a mini meet!

Where is it in Kennett? I live in Essington - is it worth it for me to go??????

Have you ever heard of Longwood Gardens? That's where Kennett Square is. The store is on the edge of the historical area on the way out of Kennett. (Here's a map...)

Wow - really? I didn't know that - I buy fabrics from them occasionally (very occasionally, since I work for Calico Corners...) Do you live or work near there? We should have a mini meet!

Have you ever heard of Longwood Gardens? That's where Kennett Square is. The store is on the edge of the historical area on the way out of Kennett. (Here's a map...)
Ooohh, okay - is it right past the entrance kind of? If I hit Walmart am I too far?? Thanks so much!!

April - you are too funny!!! When I make PJ pants for myself, I usually "trace" a pair of my own pants - but something doesnt work right in the rise of the backside - :rotfl: and they come out too "cracky" if ya know what I mean - lol!!!!:rotfl2:

I would like to thank you all for your help today. I am so greatful.

I have a four pack of singer plastic bobins. I bought them by mistake. If anyone can use them please pm me the first one to ask. I will ship it out to you. Thanks again everyone.:grouphug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter