• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disability Access at Universal

Roobear77

Mouseketeer
I am well versed on the DAS at Disney, but having a lot of trouble finding any info about Universal. My husband has been getting a DAS for the last three years due to his suppressed immune system after liver transplant. We use many strategies to minimize how long he spends in close quarters with large numbers of people, and the DAS has played a role in that, more so when we travel in cold and flu season. Am wondering what I can expect at Universal as far as if they use a similar criteria of asking how you are affected etc when considering elegibility? How do their return times work? Any information anyone could share would be great.

Universal's been getting really weird about issuing their "Attraction Assistance Pass" lately, and the common thought is because people abuse it during Halloween Horror Nights to avoid buying Express Pass for the haunted houses. Lots of people have been getting denied even when they'd used the pass previously. I expect it to go back to semi-normal after HHN ends, though. I just bring my old one back time after time and they don't really bug me too much about it.

They do use a similar process - you explain what your needs are and how/why those needs make it more difficult for you to use the standard queues. You're issued a paper card that folds up. On the back, a Team Member writes the valid dates, the guest name, and the number in the party. There's also a box they can check for whether or not you need alternative routes when stairs are involved.

Obtaining return times is fairly simple. You unfold the card and approach a Team Member outside an attraction - generally the one manning the Express queue. If the posted wait time is less than 30 minutes, you'll likely be instructed to simply enter the Express queue. There's a barcode on the back of the assistance pass that they'll scan like it was an Express pass.

If it's longer, they write the attraction name, your arrival time, the current posted wait, and your return time on the unfolded part of the card. When you return at that time, they initial the line to validate it. You can't receive a new return time until your previous one has been validated without having it crossed out (and effectively cancelled).

Universal recently did a crackdown on Disability Service passes for stamina and mobility much like Disney did a couple of years ago. I was concerned about getting my Disability Service pass renewed at Universal in mid-October, even though my needs have nothing to do with stamina and mobility. I brought my old pass and the team member started the spiel "I just have to ask you a few more questions since the program changed since the last time you were here." But before she asked the first question, she saw in the system what my needs were and said I was good to go. No issues whatsoever getting it renewed.

Thanks very much for the replies. I guess we will talk to them when we are there and see what they say.

Where do they process their passes? Guess Services? Is that inside the gates or outside?

I have cerebral palsy and use crutches to get around. I can't stand for long, and can't do stairs of any kind.

When I went to universal late September 2016, I was unable to get an Attraction Assistance Pass despite having one before and my needs not changing. I escalated the request to a manager and was still denied. It was a very difficult conversation and in my view it was dealt with poorly.

Unfortunately it did make my time at Universal much harder and we only went for a day in each park, much less than on previous trips. It has put me off next time as I felt really disempowered.

I had no issues at Disney, SeaWorld or Busch Gardens which have always been fantastic in the 6 years or so that I've been taking trips. When I'm in those places they seem to store my details and so I don't have to keep having discussions and crucially it helps me to know what I can expect and plan my days accordingly.

So I was interested to read this thread and wondered whether this policy had lessened again or if this is the way it is now? Has anyone else experienced the rules being tightened to this extent?

I have cerebral palsy and use crutches to get around. I can't stand for long, and can't do stairs of any kind.

When I went to universal late September 2016, I was unable to get an Attraction Assistance Pass despite having one before and my needs not changing. I escalated the request to a manager and was still denied. It was a very difficult conversation and in my view it was dealt with poorly.

Unfortunately it did make my time at Universal much harder and we only went for a day in each park, much less than on previous trips. It has put me off next time as I felt really disempowered.

I had no issues at Disney, SeaWorld or Busch Gardens which have always been fantastic in the 6 years or so that I've been taking trips. When I'm in those places they seem to store my details and so I don't have to keep having discussions and crucially it helps me to know what I can expect and plan my days accordingly.

So I was interested to read this thread and wondered whether this policy had lessened again or if this is the way it is now? Has anyone else experienced the rules being tightened to this extent?
Went today and it was a disaster. My oldest has trach, seizures triggered by stress,breathing and heart issues stamina issues, mobility issues, and is immunocompromized. My youngest is autistic with sensory and behavior issues, is immunocompromized, is connected to gtube feeds, and has a disorder that causes frequent and sudden diarrhea. We got stroller as wheelchair tag but that was it. They said they have a program similar to das but we don't qualify. I have to wonder what does qualify We spent about two hours in the park before giving up and leaving, I will never go again.

Went today and it was a disaster. My oldest has trach, seizures triggered by stress,breathing and heart issues stamina issues, mobility issues, and is immunocompromized. My youngest is autistic with sensory and behavior issues, is immunocompromized, is connected to gtube feeds, and has a disorder that causes frequent and sudden diarrhea. We got stroller as wheelchair tag but that was it. They said they have a program similar to das but we don't qualify. I have to wonder what does qualify We spent about two hours in the park before giving up and leaving, I will never go again.

I'm so sorry to hear that you had such an unhappy experience at Universal. To feel like you might as well leave after only 2 hours is disheartening; I hope what remains of your trip is better!

Wouldn't that be a mobility issue? Mobility issues are dealt with by getting a wheelchair, ECV, or even a rollator.

We found it easier to stay on-site, which means we get a front of the line pass (can also be purchased separately). With it, we never waited more than 10 minutes…

Much easier than trying to get a pass, going to each ride, keeping track of times to come back, which is quite confusing for my DS.

Universal's been getting really weird about issuing their "Attraction Assistance Pass" lately, and the common thought is because people abuse it during Halloween Horror Nights to avoid buying Express Pass for the haunted houses. Lots of people have been getting denied even when they'd used the pass previously. I expect it to go back to semi-normal after HHN ends, though. I just bring my old one back time after time and they don't really bug me too much about it.

They do use a similar process - you explain what your needs are and how/why those needs make it more difficult for you to use the standard queues. You're issued a paper card that folds up. On the back, a Team Member writes the valid dates, the guest name, and the number in the party. There's also a box they can check for whether or not you need alternative routes when stairs are involved.

Obtaining return times is fairly simple. You unfold the card and approach a Team Member outside an attraction - generally the one manning the Express queue. If the posted wait time is less than 30 minutes, you'll likely be instructed to simply enter the Express queue. There's a barcode on the back of the assistance pass that they'll scan like it was an Express pass.

If it's longer, they write the attraction name, your arrival time, the current posted wait, and your return time on the unfolded part of the card. When you return at that time, they initial the line to validate it. You can't receive a new return time until your previous one has been validated without having it crossed out (and effectively cancelled).

I have a question. I will be traveling with my 5 year old. I get a scooter because I can't walk or stand too long. They tell me I can wait in line with a wheelchair but I don't have the strength
to push a wheelchair around and my kid sure can't either. What should I do?

I have a question. I will be traveling with my 5 year old. I get a scooter because I can't walk or stand too long. They tell me I can wait in line with a wheelchair but I don't have the strength
to push a wheelchair around and my kid sure can't either. What should I do?

Can't you go in the queue with your scooter?

From Universal's website:

We apologize, but with the exception of the Hogwarts Express, none of the ride vehicles or attraction queues at Universal Orlando will accommodate Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECVs) or motorized wheelchairs.

I don't have a suggestion for that since I've never used a scooter at Universal.

From Universal's website:

We apologize, but with the exception of the Hogwarts Express, none of the ride vehicles or attraction queues at Universal Orlando will accommodate Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECVs) or motorized wheelchairs.

I don't have a suggestion for that since I've never used a scooter at Universal.

Wow - that's crazy! ADA has specifications, and it sounds like Universal is not following the law. How could they have a queue that doesn't allow an electric wheelchair?

A lot of Universal was tight. Diagon Alley in particular - I can't imagine an ECV being able to manipulate through a lot of the area, including most stores and some outdoor sections. Come to think of it, we didn't see a single one when we were there. Saw them out in the park, but not in Diagon Alley.

As for how they get around it - a manual wheelchair is much smaller and that is probably their accommodation.

Wheelchairs DO fit everywhere tho?
First time visitor with parent in a wheelchair who willNot be able to walk at all.
Worth a visit... or do MKinstead??

as i said, my personal one fit, but it was tight( yes in Diagon Alley which is downright claustrophobic in spots) in many lines.. keeping in mind that I did not ride any roller coasters.

also, both HP lands are ROUGH..cobblestone. my butt hurt, his shoulders hurt. we did a lot of soaking in the hot tubs.....except the day the Hurricane hit.

A lot of Universal was tight. Diagon Alley in particular - I can't imagine an ECV being able to manipulate through a lot of the area, including most stores and some outdoor sections. Come to think of it, we didn't see a single one when we were there. Saw them out in the park, but not in Diagon Alley.

As for how they get around it - a manual wheelchair is much smaller and that is probably their accommodation.

If a quadriplegic needs a specialized electric wheelchair to be mobile, how can he/she use a manual wheelchair? It really sounds like Universal is not ADA compliant. Even though a lot of their attractions are high intensity, not all of them are, and they should be accessible. Saying no electric wheelchairs or ECVs in any queue? That's not right.

I posted in another thread, but thought I might ask my question here.

My MIL uses an ECV and now has her own (this is our first time traveling with it as she has rented one there in the past). She has mobility issues and can walk short distances, but she can not stand for very long or walk very far. She also has problems getting overheated easily and that affects her breathing. We have fans and water misters, and at Disney, take advantage of the sit down in a/c rides (Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, Tough to be a bug, Little Mermaid, etc) and use the FP+ and DAS at Disney.

We have never been to Universal so how does that work? I know that the mobility issues can be resolved without a disability pass, but what about overheating? I know we can't take the EVC into the lines, but they do have wheelchairs we can take her through the lines. Are most of the lines out in the sun or are there some inside? What are the good sit down in a/c rides at Universal for a break? We will have Express pass for two out of our three days at Universal, but our first day we won't have it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter